Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Arcsquad12 posted:

I miss The Wizard's Tower.

Its a tragedy Wizards Tower wasn't in the Ubersreik pack. By far one of my favorite V1 maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I miss small fast maps like Ramparts or the one with the 6 sacks of wheat.

Also cursed rune, best map ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wheat and Chaff still gives me nightmares.

The DLC maps in VT1 were also good, except for The Dungeons. No surprise that the worst DLC map in VT2 also uses that goddamn torch mechanic.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

field balm posted:

Kruber's fake accent is amazing lol I've never heard any of that dialogue. They really killed the team interaction vibes in this game.

The tragic dual meaning is they also killed the team interactions because their lovely bizarre code suppresses everything but ABOUT CASTLE DRACHENFELS so yeah I had never heard any of this great dialogue either and who knows what else I'm missing.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
The good news is that Chaos Wastes has, for the most part, knocked the Castle Drachenfels keep banter on the head now. You can actually hear them talking about literally loving anything else.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Apart from level design and color palette, i liked the voiceovers in the first game more too.
I mean, you dont get this kinda saltzpyre in vt2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkWKbUFnJ20&t=197s

poo poo, i could listen to the two of them all day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUJ_x5DDcI

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 11, 2021

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Serpentis posted:

The good news is that Chaos Wastes has, for the most part, knocked the Castle Drachenfels keep banter on the head now. You can actually hear them talking about literally loving anything else.

Now it's just "Which god do you think is the worst / would you like to be" and "FROGS?!"

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
One of the dwarf fortress DLC maps from VT 1 was so good I'm surprised it hasn't been featured in 2. I forget what it was called though. Plus I will also say Wizards Tower was amazing. What a map.

Related to chaos wastes, Nurgle has to be the worst. I hate spamming T to try to spot a cursed enemy who will explode and hurt you, and they're impossible to avoid in hordes. Then the "stay together or nurgle will make the game unplayable" map effect really sucks because someone has to carry the magic torch and people can be dicks with it.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rabelais D posted:

One of the dwarf fortress DLC maps from VT 1 was so good I'm surprised it hasn't been featured in 2. I forget what it was called though. Plus I will also say Wizards Tower was amazing. What a map.

There were 3 map, one of which was a short outdoor and then 1 large indoor and outdoor - Khazid Kro (indoor), Ciursed Rune (long outdoor) and Chain of Fire (short outdoor) all of which were super good.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Fishstick posted:

Now it's just "Which god do you think is the worst / would you like to be" and "FROGS?!"

True enough in battle, but the keep banter is actually significantly better now Drachenfels has stopped being the only topic of the day.

Rabelais D posted:

Related to chaos wastes, Nurgle has to be the worst. I hate spamming T to try to spot a cursed enemy who will explode and hurt you, and they're impossible to avoid in hordes. Then the "stay together or nurgle will make the game unplayable" map effect really sucks because someone has to carry the magic torch and people can be dicks with it.

Yup, Nurgle's the worst. The torch bubble one is miserable, the hexed enemies bursting into gas is just annoying (mainly because even with the sickly green effect, as you say, it's a pain to spot them in hordes) and the haunting sorceror, though the best of the 3, is still irritating at best.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The nurgle torch isn't so bad since you get all your health back when you re-enter the bubble so you aren't punished for coin hunting that badly.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Yolomon Wayne posted:

There were 3 map, one of which was a short outdoor and then 1 large indoor and outdoor - Khazid Kro (indoor), Ciursed Rune (long outdoor) and Chain of Fire (short outdoor) all of which were super good.

Ah thanks, I was talking about Cursed Rune then, but you're right, all three were really good.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Got a friend into this recently thanks to the steam warhammer sale. We can both matchmake into full parties when we're solo but when we play together no one ever drops into our games. Has anyone else had this issue recently?

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
What difficulty are you playing on? If it's recruit or veteran there's probably fewer players, once you do champion and up it should be fine.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

You could also try coordinating joining the same game through the lobby browser.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Best part of Karak Azgaraz DLC though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df44935r_do&t=91s

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? If it's recruit or veteran there's probably fewer players, once you do champion and up it should be fine.

Huh, I figured there would be a large influx of new players from the steam sale playing on lower difficulties. We've been playing on veteran since we don't want to deal with friendly fire. I guess we can just try getting good.

Tagichatn posted:

You could also try coordinating joining the same game through the lobby browser.

My friend is an elf gamer :negative: so I assumed that would limit this option, but we haven't really tried it. Also, I prefer to host my own lobbies so I don't have to deal with kick happy hosts. (Been seeing that a bit in Deep Rock Galactic but maybe it's not much of a thing in VT2?) We also don't like bothering with tomes and grimoires and I assume I'm going to run into powergamers getting mad at us for not looking for them on higher difficulties.

We'll try these things next session though, thanks for the suggestions.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 13, 2021

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I think you'll fill games on champ. If people complain about your level, tell them to suck poo poo, it's champ. If they're a long-time player in champ it either means they're just screwing around while drunk or they're too terrible for Legend, where everyone plays

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Diephoon posted:

Huh, I figured there would be a large influx of new players from the steam sale playing on lower difficulties. We've been playing on veteran since we don't want to deal with friendly fire. I guess we can just try getting good.

My friend is an elf gamer :negative: so I assumed that would limit this option, but we haven't really tried it. Also, I prefer to host my own lobbies so I don't have to deal with kick happy hosts. (Been seeing that a bit in Deep Rock Galactic but maybe it's not much of a thing in VT2?) We also don't like bothering with tomes and grimoires and I assume I'm going to run into powergamers getting mad at us for not looking for them on higher difficulties.

We'll try these things next session though, thanks for the suggestions.

Friendly fire on champ is fairly negligible. It's mostly just annoying. Move on up.

I don't see kicks happen very often. Only once since I started playing again, for a dude who was afk. You'll definitely get people who pick up tomes/grims, though I can't say how many of them will get mad if you don't pick up the ones they've pinged since you don't tend to see people straight up refusing to grab anything other than grim #2 (nobody knowing where some of the tomes/grims are is common, on the other hand). Regardless, the game isn't really much tougher until you take that second grim which is admittedly quite crippling, even with curse resist gear.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

In general people don't seem kick-happy but I guess I've had bad luck in the past week. First, I got kicked for being a 'lowbie' since I was level 32 on legendary CW then I got kicked because I voted against the other 3 then the game went with my vote. Lastly, I asked the elf and sienna to kill the nurgle spectre because they have infinite ammo and the elf took this personally, first saying that she was deaf (dunno what that has to do with it) then saying that the moonfire bow does a dot so it just scares it off and doesn't kill it which isn't true. Then she kicked me.

Before that, I went months without any negative experiences unless you count people running off and dying but as long as they're not being dicks in voice or text chat I don't care.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Can't speak to the other ones but if all three people want to go to a node, I say gently caress it and go there. Not my fault if it sucks. Definitely not worth kicking someone over though unless you were picking movement speed over crit chance or something

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

Can't speak to the other ones but if all three people want to go to a node, I say gently caress it and go there. Not my fault if it sucks. Definitely not worth kicking someone over though unless you were picking movement speed over crit chance or something

Fatshark said at launch of CW they were going to turn it into a simple majority vote (you know, like it pretends to be in the map screen) instead of a 75% chance vs 25% chance the system is now. But apparently this is really hard because it still hasn't occurred.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Then they realized that in 4 player coop a majority vote can extremely fast go 2-2 and you need a tiebreaker mechanic and they just went with 25% chance per vote.
Is my guess.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

In a 2/2 split go with the host, because it's the host's game. Hire me fatshark

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fishstick posted:

In a 2/2 split go with the host, because it's the host's game. Hire me fatshark

This is way too simple and intuitive to fly at fatshark

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What are the most important breakpoints on Legend+? Stormvermin in one heavy?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
For what weapon on what character/career?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I see people talking about hitting breakpoints to oneshot specials or elites with your ranged weapon, usually specified as bodyshots or headshots

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ok just so were on the same page, those are breakpoints for Bardins Ranger Veteran melee Weapons for example:
(taken from here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1832306381)

Hammer Stagger Breakpoints: 20% Chaos, Opportunist
Push attack/heavy attack/light attack 1/2 stagger Stormvermin/Mauler/Bestigor all attacks

Axe & Shield Stagger Breakpoints: 20% skaven, Enhanced Power, Opportunist
Push stagger Stormvermin/Bestigor/Mauler/Savage/Monk all attacks

Here are some for Grail Knight Exe Sword:
(https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1831243904)

Breakpoints: Passive, Smiter, 10% Chaos, 10% armour, Virtue of Knightly Temper
Heavy attack oneshot-headshot SV/Bestigor
Crit light attack oneshot-bodyshot all mobs and SV/Bestigor/Mauler/Monk/Savage
Crit heavy attack oneshot-bodyshot all elites, including CW

To go with his Sword and Shield:

Stagger Breakpoints: Opportunist
Push stagger Stormvermin/Bestigor/Mauler/Savage all attacks
Push follow up with light shieldbash stagger Gun rat/Fire rat from their attack animation
Breakpoints: Passive, Smiter, Virtue of Knightly Temper
Crit shield bash oneshot-bodyshot most of horde mobs
Marauder/Gor need to be staggered first to be oneshot
Crit heavy attack 1 oneshot-bodyshot all elites except CW
Crit heavy attack 3 oneshot-bodyshot all elites, including CW

Those are the *breakpoints* people are talking about.
Above values are for cataclysm, so they will work 100% on legend (though some will be overkill)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I've been going through the base campaign on Legend with each character to unlock the skins lately, rushing through solo. And I've gotta say, as a bot, the new Kerillian subclass is really growing on me.

With briarthorn she ults all the drat time and never misses, sometimes pulling off ridiculous feats like using it to snipe a midair assassin or catch something on the other side of a wall. Vs specials, monsters, and chaos warriors it helps so much, so frequently. The +healing for the party is very nice and while Kerillian tends to take a poo poo ton more damage than other bots, she stays alive pretty well thanks to your excess THP being funneled into her and the healing bonus.

I run her with dual swords and the sanctioned AI mod to make bots prioritize light attacks more, so she clears hordes well and the dual swords light attack crit bonus gives her good THP regen on her own. Toss in moonfire bow and I think she's a competitor for best bot when previously I felt Kerillian was the worst of the bunch.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Vermintide has enormous meme energy and it owes it to two sources: Skaven being nutty and excellent player character voiced dialogue / characterization. Darktide won't have the former so I'm :pray: hard for a home run on the latter and not just four or five variations on "I luv da emprah."

I got faith. 40k enemies can be plenty silly (especially Nurgle Daemons and rogue guardsmen), and the different wings of the Imperium can be catty as hell towards each other.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm kind of surprised they didn't choose orks or tyranids for the main enemy in darktide. They both do the swarming melee dudes schtick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Probably want to avoid comparisons with Space Hulk and Necromunda which both featured the Nids.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Eh, I'd rather there be overlap than them just rehashing Nurgle cultists. I'm not super excited for the enemy roster so far considering it's basically "those guys from Vermintide, In Space". Like, I'm sure they'll be mechanically distinct but I'd like some thematic variety.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
A Genestealer cult would be pretty rad though. Chaos never gets enough flavor to be a genuinely repped threat, and no one is brave enough to do a Slaaneshii incursion.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

A Genestealer cult would be pretty rad though. Chaos never gets enough flavor to be a genuinely repped threat, and no one is brave enough to do a Slaaneshii incursion.

Dongs and hyperdrugs as far as the eye can see

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

field balm posted:

Dongs and hyperdrugs as far as the eye can see

Slaanesh isn't just drugs and sex, it's all forms of excess. And when people are creative that can make some cool stuff. Like chariot riders that have spikes in their reigns so they can grip down and feel the spikes dig in, people that chase after being perfect in combat (Sigvald), poo poo straight out of hellraiser where a person is turned into a living harp, or just stuff like this dude:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Floppychop posted:

I'm kind of surprised they didn't choose orks or tyranids for the main enemy in darktide. They both do the swarming melee dudes schtick.

Orks are too fun, which is why FatShark would never pick them.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Floppychop posted:

Slaanesh isn't just drugs and sex, it's all forms of excess. And when people are creative that can make some cool stuff. Like chariot riders that have spikes in their reigns so they can grip down and feel the spikes dig in, people that chase after being perfect in combat (Sigvald), poo poo straight out of hellraiser where a person is turned into a living harp, or just stuff like this dude:

Just give me Noise Marines. A single Noise Marine as a boss even, I’m not picky.

THIS QUIET OFFENDS SLANEESH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer