Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

fast cars loose anus posted:

Worth pointing out that the first mission is specifically designed to make you do long shots and there is at least one other mission out of the 5 like this but the 2nd one is a more standard run around and do some sniping but also some stealthing up close like the first one

Anyway you can ignore previous Sniper Ghost Warrior games except Contracts 1; if you get that on sale and try it and like it you'll enjoy 2 as well. I'm two missions in now (because I gently caress around doing challenges as much as I can) and it rules if that sort of thing is your bag, yeah.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 is out, I’ve played about two hours and done the first two targets and it’s a lot of fun. You snipe things and shoot them. More accessible than the previous game with level design made so you take mile plus long shots. Definitely a good game if the style is your cup of tea.

From a while back, but since I'm in the middle of playing Contracts 2 now, I can definitely agree with this sentiment. I bought Ghost Warrior 3 for a few bucks as a goof and ended up sinking a bunch of time into it during COVID; Contracts 1 was an interesting twist on the concept that reminded me a lot of a simpler (and newer) Hitman game, and I ended up 100%'ing it too.

The first official mission (Zindah Province) obviously kind of "cheats" to give you 1500-1600 meter shots, since you can't actually approach most of the areas in the map--and to be fair, I'm totally cool with that, since you're actually able to do a little more sniping (and a "long shot" in the previous games was like 500 meters, tops).

But my god this second mission (Mount Kuamar) is an enormous labyrinth. I don't think anything in the original Contracts approached the total size of this place. I spent a couple of hours sneaking around in the large network of starting areas and knocking out contracts and challenges. I figured I was about to wrap up the last two contracts...but nope, it suddenly has you slide down a tunnel and land in an area that's practically its own level in size and complexity. I'm loving it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I finished A Hand With Many Fingers this morning (I was closer to the end last night than I thought). Someone else mentioned it's only about an hour or two, and that's about right (and I'm usually much slower than the "how long to beat this game" time). It's good but the ending feels a bit abrupt. I had just reorganized my corkboard (putting all the pictures in the middle), assuming I was going to be digging for another name to connect to the conspiracy, but then it faded to black after I got the next (and last) document. I'm hoping the dev is working on a sequel, because I am here for cross-referencing investigative action.

My "Investigation" category in Steam currently has: The Council, Disco Elysium, Hand With Many Fingers, Heaven's Vault, Kathy Rain, Painscreek Killings, and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. Other than those games and Obra Dinn (which I'm planning on getting soon), any good recommendations I've missed out on? I've got a pretty high tolerance for weird/janky games, so don't let that stop you. :)

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 13, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

beats for junkies posted:

I finished A Hand With Many Fingers this morning (I was closer to the end last night than I thought). Someone else mentioned it's only about an hour or two, and that's about right (and I'm usually much slower than the "how long to beat this game" time). It's good but the ending feels a bit abrupt. I had just reorganized my corkboard (putting all the pictures in the middle), assuming I was going to be digging for another name to connect to the conspiracy, but then it faded to black after I got the last document. I'm hoping the dev is working on a sequel, because I am here for cross-referencing investigative action.

My "Investigation" category in Steam currently has: The Council, Disco Elysium, Hand With Many Fingers, Heaven's Vault, Kathy Rain, Painscreek Killings, and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. Other than those games and Obra Dinn (which I'm planning on getting soon), any good recommendations I've missed out on? I've got a pretty high tolerance for weird/janky games, so don't let that stop you. :)

Have you looked at Contradiction?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I finished A Hand With Many Fingers this morning (I was closer to the end last night than I thought). Someone else mentioned it's only about an hour or two, and that's about right (and I'm usually much slower than the "how long to beat this game" time). It's good but the ending feels a bit abrupt. I had just reorganized my corkboard (putting all the pictures in the middle), assuming I was going to be digging for another name to connect to the conspiracy, but then it faded to black after I got the last document. I'm hoping the dev is working on a sequel, because I am here for cross-referencing investigative action.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1412660/Rivals/

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's nothing like Higurashi, what.
they're both novels that start out slice of lifey with banal comedy bits and intentionally tropey characters and then swerve into horror. both also 'restart' several times in a manner of speaking. they have different ambitions & goals obviously but they come from the same foundation.

and with both you really have to have some patience to get through the cutesy bits... at least that was the case for me. i probably wouldn't have gone further than an hour into DDLC if i hadn't seen voidburger and bobvids play it. and gently caress me the board game skits in higurashi, whoever likes those, good on you but i had to start mashing through them eventually :X yes i have a heart of stone, attempt to pierce it if you must

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 13, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxxidation posted:

backbone was looking like a solid entry in the bewilderingly well-populated "noir but furries" subgenre but then it pissed down its own leg with a last-act twist that would have needed twice as much runtime to have a chance at working

if it was meant to be a sequel hook, that's a shame, because the twist plus the relatively high price doesn't seem to be going over well

Pwnstar posted:

I played it on Gamepass and I was still mad at how bad the ending was.

This has been the game I've gone the fastest from "oh trailer looks cool" to "oh literally everyone I've seen says it sucks bad" lol

I finished A Hand With Many Fingers this morning (I was closer to the end last night than I thought). Someone else mentioned it's only about an hour or two, and that's about right (and I'm usually much slower than the "how long to beat this game" time). It's good but the ending feels a bit abrupt. I had just reorganized my corkboard (putting all the pictures in the middle), assuming I was going to be digging for another name to connect to the conspiracy, but then it faded to black after I got the next (and last) document. I'm hoping the dev is working on a sequel, because I am here for cross-referencing investigative action.

Gnosia? Elsinore also has investigation stuff

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

also ff15 did not take ten years to make, the final product's dev time was more like three

I mean by that logic Duke Nukem Forever only took 2 years to make, Prey only took 4, Team Fortress 2 only took 3-4, and Mass Effect Andromeda only took a year and a half. You don’t just get to ignore all the time they spent making something else that would have been called FF15 as well just because they wound up with something completely different at the end.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

HopperUK posted:

Have you looked at Contradiction?

Thanks, but I don't know how much I'd enjoy having to tell someone's lying by their expressions, and also the video part (unless each scene is infinitely repeatable). I prefer being able to read and take notes.

I also have Sethian, which probably should be in the "Investigation" category. It's about finding an alien computer and trying to learn an alien language so you can use the computer to figure out what happened to the race that built it. I liked it well enough but then I put it down for a while and kind of forgot everything I'd learned (and my notes were only so helpful).

edit: thanks, everyone else who responded while I was typing this the first time. Rivals and Elsinore look neat, but Gnosia doesn't seem like my thing.

edit 2: vvvvvv drat it, stop responding to me while I'm editing! (j/k) I'll re-think my stance on Contradiction ("campy weirdness" was a deciding factor) and Outer Wilds (though I am kinda looking for more of a crime-investigation thing at the moment). Thanks again, everyone! I've got a few more things on the wishlist now. I'll stop editing this post to respond to everyone, but I'll check stuff out if people keep suggesting. :)

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 13, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

It's not a crime game, but Outer Wilds is decidedly a game about investigating things and gaining knowledge. If it's the investigating, learning, and piecing ideas together and not the crime/spying that makes it fun to you, it's definitely a top-tier game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Thanks, but I don't know how much I'd enjoy having to actually read peoples expressions. I prefer being able to read and take notes.

To this point I'll say that reading peoples expressions in Contradiction is sort of not that helpful, kind of in a bizarre, FMV analogue to LA Noire. Contradiction is more of an experience, than an actual investigative game and I really recommend you try it if you enjoy campy weirdness.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks, but I don't know how much I'd enjoy having to tell someone's lying by their expressions, and also the video part (unless each scene is infinitely repeatable). I prefer being able to read and take notes.

You don’t read expressions in Contradiction at all. Well I guess you can in some cases but they are the equivalent of this: https://youtu.be/qzPvx8VUSDw

Contradiction is doing a simple interview and then comparing the notes your own character takes from that interview and finding where the interviewee contradicts themselves. You can take your own notes if you want but it’s not really necessary because the one main weakness of the game is that you can’t carry contradictions between interviews with different people. If Character A says X happened but Character B says Y happened you can’t do anything with that information because nothing exists for Character A or B besides what they have told you themselves.

So in the end it’s a pretty simple “investigation” game but if you enjoy watching a lot of campy over acting it’s worth it.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVi4IQ4j1lw

This is a good look at the game. I ended up watching their entire playthrough and it was a lot of fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

edit 2: vvvvvv drat it, stop responding to me while I'm editing! (j/k) I'll re-think my stance on Contradiction ("campy weirdness" was a deciding factor) and Outer Wilds (though I am kinda looking for more of a crime-investigation thing at the moment). Thanks again, everyone! I've got a few more things on the wishlist now. I'll stop editing this post to respond to everyone, but I'll check stuff out if people keep suggesting. :)

Contradiction is one of those games that sets off the alarm beacon in the heads of weirdos like me. We instinctively know when someone is talking about it.

Also the same developer made a new game in the same sort of style called At Dead of Night but I haven’t played that myself yet and I don’t know why?? I should get on that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

WaPo jumped the gun on the Starfield trailer

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1404114575864258560

still a year and half away lol

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

I quite enjoyed Tangle Tower, its definitely got Professor Layton DNA, with its mix of puzzles and interviews. I think its also impossible to get wrong as well, so maybe doesn't match your others..
https://store.steampowered.com/app/359510/Tangle_Tower/

Price is a bit steep for its length though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

repiv posted:

WaPo jumped the gun on the Starfield trailer

What little credit where it's due, if that actually is in-engine it looks like a modern video game at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No gameplay? Way too flowery narration? A single barren environment telling me nothing about what the game is going to even look like? Preordered.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kibayasu posted:

Contradiction is one of those games that sets off the alarm beacon in the heads of weirdos like me. We instinctively know when someone is talking about it.

Also the same developer made a new game in the same sort of style called At Dead of Night but I haven’t played that myself yet and I don’t know why?? I should get on that.

There’s also one called the Shapeshifting Detective, by the same people who did The Infectious Madness of Doctor Decker, that has a couple of the Contradiction actors in it including the main guy, and it’s pretty good.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

repiv posted:

I doubt it. That's a whole year and a half to hit development snags and to announce one or more delays.

That being said, I'm gonna go ahead and be one of the uncool kids in saying that what little there is sounds intriguing to me.

Bethesda definitely has a style and its problems, but that's never stopped me playing their games for hundreds of hours.

Funnily enough, I think the same can be said for the most ardent Bethesda haters, if playtimes negative Steam reviews are to be believed.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Plague Tale sequel next year, hell yes.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Can someone just spoil Backbone so I don’t have to play it to see how dumb it is?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GhostDog posted:

Plague Tale sequel next year, hell yes.

Finally something good at E3! It looks amazing too, that M$ money must be doing wonders for Asobo.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Orv posted:

What little credit where it's due, if that actually is in-engine it looks like a modern video game at least.

I believe it's already confirmed to be on the same poo poo-rear end underlying toolset/engine, so expect standard Bethesdaness. That said... it'll still probably be a lot of fun... at least after 5-6 years when official and community patches have straightened things out.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Brocktoon posted:

Can someone just spoil Backbone so I don’t have to play it to see how dumb it is?

You start the game investigating a cheating husband who ends up murdered by a crime boss. While investigating a biotech lab that the crime lord seems weirdly interested in you get infected by an alien parasite. It starts taking over your body, the bad guys capture you and after you make your triumphant escape you lay down and die/become an eldritch horror. Also the crime boss was literally killing the poor to feed to the rich but she was a good person because she was standing up for women?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The biggest question is, will it Just Work?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Overboard!
Tangle Tower
LA Noire

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

12 Minutes and Psychonauts 2 release this summer. Slime Rancher 2 announced for 2022. Eiyuden Chronicles isn't until 2023 but some sort of action-spinoff is releasing in 2022.

Atomic Heart still exists, but still has no release window.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Palpek posted:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Overboard!
Tangle Tower
LA Noire

Her Story

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Huh, I had forgotten all about Psychonauts 2. Looking at their Fig guess they've just been quietly pushing out updates.

Also, drat MS even called the mini fridge Xbox

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 13, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

The lost phone games

sad question
May 30, 2020

In that case check out Sherlock vs the Ripper, it's a good if janky and gets super cheap on sales.

Edit: I suppose ABC Murders also qualifies although it might not be interesting if you read the book or other adaptation. Both of these are currently on sale on GOG.

sad question fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 13, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i cant believe its been 10 years since the last elder scrolls game, and will probably be 15 by the time ESVI releases. thats fuckin crazy theyre not making GBS threads out those games when they sell like mad.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

queeb posted:

i cant believe its been 10 years since the last elder scrolls game, and will probably be 15 by the time ESVI releases. thats fuckin crazy theyre not making GBS threads out those games when they sell like mad.

I would rather wait forever and have a great modable game with a poo poo ton of things to do rather than the crap most companies spew out these days.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

queeb posted:

Is Bethesda (the studio, not the publisher) a multi project studio? If not, the ES6 isn't being worked on in a major capacity until Starfield is almost complete.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

queeb posted:

you have any idea how long it takes to write all those books and journal entries? give the poor writers a break

I wonder if they'll wisen up and use a screen play generator. I'm not sure anyone would know the difference

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

you have any idea how long it takes to write all those books and journal entries? give the poor writers a break

I wonder if they'll wisen up and use a screen play generator. I'm not sure anyone would know the difference

Someone will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVdTZhmsGsU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

At this point with all the rereleases, the brand name is practically Skyrim, not Elder Scrolls.

Pessimistic, but I seriously wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a SKYRIM II... with no Elder Scrolls tag.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why this surprises me but I've just been owned in the most hilarious and sad way possible

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Insanely hype for STALKER 2 even though I know logically the studio shattered into a million pieces ages ago.

Outer Worlds 2 could be good, most of the criticism seemed to slant more towards underbaked and boring so maybe they can tease out what worked well going forward. Maybe I should finally play it first though.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 13, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Pleasantly surprised that STALKER 2 isn't an EGS thing. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1643320/STALKER_2_Heart_of_Chernobyl/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

One of my favorite stories about XV's development was when Nomura saw the film version of Les Mis and was denied his request to convert or redo XV as a musical

they already have that with FF14