Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The original uk cover is harry looking amazed at a train

What a wild world of magic and antics, that has a train in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Ultra Carp

josh04 posted:

"Get back in the loving toilet, no we don't have any idea how you died and frankly we don't care."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the chamber of secrets contains the deepest mystery in the entire series

who the gently caress is the Plumber of Slytherin? the guy that converted the hidden entrance of the chamber into a bathroom, and connected enough pipes to the chamber itself to allow the basilisk to move around. who made the pipes big enough for the basilisk in the first place. what is the story of this person???

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In retrospect it is kind of weird that they renamed the first book for America and also changed the actual contents of the book to fit the new name.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My favorite covers are still the Thai 20th Anniversary ones which I think I posted about before. The artist, Arch Apolar, is just incredible. He combines experience as an architecture graduate and designing dharma books as an ordained monk with his later training at an art school that focused on entertainment design, and the result is mind blowing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wizardingworld/status/1259475663582572545

Check out his Instagram for detail pics of each cover:

https://www.instagram.com/apolar.arch/?hl=en

I was so taken by his work that I commissioned a book cover from him. Wasn’t cheap but he did amazing work

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArchApolar/status/1385608079580954625

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jazerus posted:

who the gently caress is the Plumber of Slytherin? the guy that converted the hidden entrance of the chamber into a bathroom, and connected enough pipes to the chamber itself to allow the basilisk to move around. who made the pipes big enough for the basilisk in the first place. what is the story of this person???

Speaking of the cackling cartoon wizard nazis, I'm almost off to another godawful community theatre production of the potter parody musical as Draco, and I've been allowed to do my own costumes now as long as the terrible blonde wig and terribly sized blazer/robe thing remain. I'm not brave enough to do an SA face pic for the wig but I am very proud of this awful sweater I found. It suits the character. Plz ignore our gross bathroom mirror.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Corvinus_Gaunt

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ccs posted:

So I have a question: Did anyone in this thread read the books after they were all released? Or start reading them as they were released when you were a teenager? I have a theory that the only people that Harry Potter really resonates with are people who grew up with the books, meaning you were probably between the ages of 7 and 12 when the first book was released. If a 10 year old tries to read the books now they’ll probably enjoy the first few and start getting freaked out by the later ones. Similarly, most teenagers wouldn’t have started reading a children’s book series because they’re not the target demographic.

I must have first picked it up when I was 11. and the series wasn't complete until I was an adult.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

why write the story if you're going to make it as boring as possible jo

let's be honest if you can't think of any compelling story featuring the plumber of slytherin, can you even call yourself an author???

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

muscles like this! posted:

In retrospect it is kind of weird that they renamed the first book for America and also changed the actual contents of the book to fit the new name.

All the books had changes in the American editions though as it went on it never did anything like changing the Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone again. But all of them changed British->American spelling and had some slang/British turns of phrase changed.

Goblet of Fire notably fucks this up during the American prologue in a way that makes Voldemort's speech not make any sense for no real reason.

https://www.hp-lexicon.org/2001/08/25/differences-british-us-versions-gf/

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 7, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I haven’t memorized the books, word for word. What’s the context?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
why even bother with interior plumbing when you've got water summoning spells and poo poo on the floor

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

YaketySass posted:

why even bother with interior plumbing when you've got water summoning spells and poo poo on the floor

That's how nobody noticed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zesty posted:

I haven’t memorized the books, word for word. What’s the context?

It looks like the discussion with Wormtail that the muggle caretaker overhears was changed to make it more explicit that they are murdering people, as in the UK version its more vague/magical and about curses and "obstacles removed". Strangely the caretaker comments on them talking about killing people, so he either reads between the lines or this page doesn't note those changes.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

YaketySass posted:

okay so conjuration is harder than vanishing but seems like water summoning should be one of the first things taught after sparks considering its practical in a lot ways but they don't learn that or the save yourself from drowning spell until fifth or sixth year.

starting to think the whole magical education system might be bunk.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cranappleberry posted:

okay so conjuration is harder than vanishing but seems like water summoning should be one of the first things taught after sparks considering its practical in a lot ways but they don't learn that or the save yourself from drowning spell until fifth or sixth year.

Nonsense. These methods have worked without any problems for centuries, why would we ever need to fix what isn't broken? *throws a 10 year old child out of a second-story window to see if they'll bounce*

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cranappleberry posted:

Sorry, curriculum's gotta prioritize passing the Wizard SATs or you won't be eligible for one of the like four jobs Wizards can have

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 7, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cranappleberry posted:

Do they even teach a "save yourself from drowning" spell at all? Figuring out how to breath underwater was a major component of a multi-month puzzle in the Triwizard Tournament meant for the brightest of wizarding school seniors, implying that if it was just something they had learned they could just blow off the egg puzzle entirely and still basically do the challenge pretty easily on the fly.

That's honestly just another hint that the vast majority of the British wizarding world are largely people who never even attempt leave their bubble, so would never have to learn things like "how to deal with dangerous situations that happen outside one of the 4 or 5 major wizard locations" or "what the rest of the entire world dresses like on a day to day basis"

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
So, the bubble head charm is taught by the school in fifth or sixth year. Two of the triwizard champions use it. People use it in the next book when there is deadly stank gas everywhere. Yet for some reason neither Harry nor Hermione can find it despite reading the entire library and Bart's entire plan rests on Harry borrowing a book form Neville.

No explanation is given as to why they couldn't find this useful spell that is the go to to breathe clean air. FAN THEORIES ABOUND

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Re: Cover Chat, While this is by no means limited to Harry Potter (Lord of the Rings suffered from it a lot), the absolute worst is when they use movie publicity stills for a cover with a big "Now a Major Motion Picture!" or equivalent. Like you could have this whimsical aesthetically pleasing art that conveys the books themes, but no we get to have a gigantic closeup of Radcliffe's face with a sales pitch under it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Re: Cover Chat, While this is by no means limited to Harry Potter (Lord of the Rings suffered from it a lot), the absolute worst is when they use movie publicity stills for a cover with a big "Now a Major Motion Picture!" or equivalent. Like you could have this whimsical aesthetically pleasing art that conveys the books themes, but no we get to have a gigantic closeup of Radcliffe's face with a sales pitch under it.

the loving I, Robot book covers that were released after that movie still piss me off.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
https://twitter.com/HPANA/status/1403091711291760642

Remember when Warner Bros thought they could stretch this for five movies?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol WB has hosed up yet another movie which is gonna rot in reshoot hell? How do they keep loving their IPs up so badly?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol WB has hosed up yet another movie which is gonna rot in reshoot hell? How do they keep loving their IPs up so badly?

JKR had too much control over the script.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

the first one probably shouldn't have been dogshit that vacillated between "wow cgi animal!" and "really loving uncomfortable child grooming scene" if they wanted it to actually do well as a series. oh and maybe make grindelwald look like either a nazi or a prussian noble, instead of some weird fuckin blond mohawk & kaiserstache johnny depp monstrosity

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
there are a lot of things about all the HP movies. Fantastic Beasts were even worse. Someone with film or writing experience could probably dissect them in a youtube video. If people want to summarize their thoughts, I'd appreciate it. I definitely don't have the skills necessary.

Why did Johnny Depp get replaced? I thought it was his partner that was abusing him and not the other way around? I don't follow the drama so I could be wrong. If so, sorry. His acting was decent in the role even if the aesthetics were absolutely terrible (they were).

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Cranappleberry posted:

Why did Johnny Depp get replaced? I thought it was his partner that was abusing him and not the other way around? I don't follow the drama so I could be wrong. If so, sorry. His acting was decent in the role even if the aesthetics were absolutely terrible (they were).

That was Depp's claim and it was the one his fans spread across social media but it went to court when Depp sued a newspaper for calling him a wife-beater and all of the evidence presented supported the fact that Depp was the abusive one and Amber Heard had only been acting in self-defence. After that judgement came out he got asked to resign from fantastic beasts 3.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Well Manicured Man posted:

:piss:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It is really bizarre that they not only stuck with Depp till the bitter end, but they also had Rowling write that insane letter about what a great guy he is.

quote:

When Johnny Depp was cast as Grindelwald, I thought he’d be wonderful in the role. However, around the time of filming his cameo in the first movie, stories had appeared in the press that deeply concerned me and everyone most closely involved in the franchise.

Harry Potter fans had legitimate questions and concerns about our choice to continue with Johnny Depp in the role. As David Yates, long-time Potter director, has already said, we naturally considered the possibility of recasting. I understand why some have been confused and angry about why that didn’t happen.

The huge, mutually supportive community that has grown up around Harry Potter is one of the greatest joys of my life. For me personally, the inability to speak openly to fans about this issue has been difficult, frustrating and at times painful. However, the agreements that have been put in place to protect the privacy of two people, both of whom have expressed a desire to get on with their lives, must be respected. Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.

I’ve loved writing the first two screenplays and I can’t wait for fans to see ‘The Crimes of Grindelwald’. I accept that there will be those who are not satisfied with our choice of actor in the title role. However, conscience isn’t governable by committee. Within the fictional world and outside it, we all have to do what we believe to be the right thing.

Conscience might not be governable by committee but it turns out a court of law was good enough!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

JKR had too much control over the script.

One way to tell: count up the number of rape subplots in the new film.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

WB Exec - Is it too early for a Harry Potter remake?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I cannot wait to find out which other actor has walked.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if JK walked and the movie turns out great

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
It was easier to recast Jacob rather than write an in movie explanation for Dan Fogler losing all that weight.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SolarFire2 posted:

It was easier to recast Jacob rather than write an in movie explanation for Dan Fogler losing all that weight.

His best pal Newt knows the exact charm to make him svelte, but if Newt used it to help a muggle his cop girlfriend would have no choice but to try and throw him into the death chamber again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that Harry Potter made for a worse Lego game because the bulk of the story focuses on just Harry and it was harder for the developers to set whatever character the second player would be. Also pretty much all characters had access to the same powers from magic so Lego's previous formula of a wide variety of character powers to keep the player switching characters (and encourage them to grind through collectables to unlock extra characters) didn't really work.

I do like how the Lego Harry Potter games were before they started doing dialogue though, so they just couldn't go through the whole wand ownership law deal and Voldemort kill Snape because he ate the last cookie.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I think Harry Potter is a dead franchise for now once this 3rd movie bombs. Rowling has alienated too many of her fans at this point and I'm sure this movie is eating up way too much money and goodwill to get recouped at this point. Maybe things will get better in a decade or so when Disney buys them out and makes the sequel septology

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that Harry Potter made for a worse Lego game because the bulk of the story focuses on just Harry and it was harder for the developers to set whatever character the second player would be. Also pretty much all characters had access to the same powers from magic so Lego's previous formula of a wide variety of character powers to keep the player switching characters (and encourage them to grind through collectables to unlock extra characters) didn't really work.

I do like how the Lego Harry Potter games were before they started doing dialogue though, so they just couldn't go through the whole wand ownership law deal and Voldemort kill Snape because he ate the last cookie.

frankly snape eating the last cookie makes significantly more narrative sense than any of the wand poo poo she invented at the last second

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEIIIIIEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" Voldemort screeched as he stomped to the middle of the room. "WHO TOOK THE LAST COOKIE?! WHERE IS THE LAST COOKIE??? THAT WAS THE FINAL COOKIE, YOU FOOLS, AND IT WAS MINE! I CALLED IT!" spit flew from his lipless mouth as he gesticulated wildly at the empty plate on the table. "YOU HAVE ALL FAILED ME! I DEMAND TO KNOW WHO ATE IT! WHO?!"

Everyone at the birthday party turned to look at Snape, who had crumbs on his face and on the front of his robes. Snape cleared his mind of all thought and looked up to stare into the red snake-like eyes of Voldemort.

"It was Harry Potter, my lord."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cranappleberry posted:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEIIIIIEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" Voldemort screeched as he stomped to the middle of the room. "WHO TOOK THE LAST COOKIE?! WHERE IS THE LAST COOKIE??? THAT WAS THE FINAL COOKIE, YOU FOOLS, AND IT WAS MINE! I CALLED IT!" spit flew from his lipless mouth as he gesticulated wildly at the empty plate on the table. "YOU HAVE ALL FAILED ME! I DEMAND TO KNOW WHO ATE IT! WHO?!"

Everyone at the birthday party turned to look at Snape, who had crumbs on his face and on the front of his robes. Snape cleared his mind of all thought and looked up to stare into the red snake-like eyes of Voldemort.

"It was Harry Potter, my lord."

:five: