Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

The people in this town are, uh, real winners:

which HOG is this, i feel like they all basically out themselves by having the same art style no matter who is publishing or developing them

actually maybe it's not 100% a HOG because the backgrounds don't look like Thomas Kinkade paintings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3

Canopus250 posted:

What are some good tactics/squad games options on steam? I just finished another heavily modded run of X-com 2 and am relatively clueless as to what else is out there from the last three years or so. I also really enjoyed the smaller scope of Invisible Inc and Chimera Squad as well.

I'm down with fantasy/sci-fi/comteporary as long as the characters or plot have something to them. I already own Troubleshooters apparently and didn't love the first hour or two of Fae Tactics. Real time stuff like Desperados 3 was solid but I prefer a turn based or initiative system over real time.

Any suggestions out there?

There's not much in the way of plot/narrative (magic hosed the world, gotta get one last spell off to destroy all magic forever) but i've played 20hrs of The Last Spell over the last week and have been having a great time.

Definitely smaller scale (your early runs will only have 3 characters, up to 6 a bit later) and it's also a rogue-lite so you're expected to lose and spend metacurrency to improve future runs. "Classes" are defined by the weapon a character has equipped, so if you don't like a particular skillset you can just buy a new weapon and have a new set of skills/abilities.

You're defending your mages for a number of nights while they channel the spell so you build shops and defenses around the city during the day to keep the hordes out while deploying your characters at night to engage in FF Tactics style grid/turn based strategy. Still in Early Access so it's a little rough around the edges but I've really enjoyed what I've played, plus the music is awesome and the pixel-art animations and sound effects really sell the combat.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SavageMessiah posted:

Do you mean Long War Rebalance? I couldn't find a reloaded. I just beat WOTC and I'm thinking of going back to XCOM 1 and trying Long War but I'm mixed on some of the stuff I've heard about it.

Yeah my bad I meant Long War Rebalance. This one: https://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/686

It’s possible this may have problems 30 hours in or something but otherwise I think this is just better than standard LW.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The 7th Guest posted:

which HOG is this, i feel like they all basically out themselves by having the same art style no matter who is publishing or developing them

actually maybe it's not 100% a HOG because the backgrounds don't look like Thomas Kinkade paintings

It's the Secret Order 2, which is indeed a HOG! It's one of the ugliest ones I've seen whenever the characters come onscreen, but otherwise nice. Stupider plot than usual though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

SavageMessiah posted:

Do you mean Long War Rebalance? I couldn't find a reloaded. I just beat WOTC and I'm thinking of going back to XCOM 1 and trying Long War but I'm mixed on some of the stuff I've heard about it.

I really enjoy Long War, although as the name suggests it is long as gently caress. I played it more like a Paradox game - I had lots of fun playing multiple games of it, but rarely actually "finished" a run. I don't think Overwatch-crawling was at all needed on normal-Veteran difficulties either, that's just a way to cheese things and it makes everything tedious as hell. If you want to avoid ever losing a dude you might as well just play more dynamically and reload or restart the mission if you gently caress up too badly, or just face to bloodshed and accept some people will die - or mix and match these to whatever degree you enjoy. You'll need multiple squads due to exhaustion if nothing else, there's also long wound-recovery times and it takes time to Mec or Genemod people, so you should be constantly training a rookie or two to fill gaps anyway. Even squad wipes are recoverable, although if your A teams all die while your B team is exhausted then things can be spicy. I also like the Red Mist second wave option which makes everyone less accurate as they get injured, so AoE damage also helps your survivability.

For other tactical games:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/612570/Fort_Triumph/
seems like a well-reviewed fantasy XCOM-alike that hasn't been mentioned yet. It's been on my wishlist for a while.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Fort Triumph is pretty fun and the story is comedic and dumb (the inciting incident is the mage wanting to make money because she needs tuition for her next semester at magic college and dragging her friends along for the ride). The big gimmick in combat is physics-based damage from knocking over trees and columns, or kicking rocks into enemies (or enemies into rocks, or trees, or whatever). If there's a stonehenge-style arch, you can knock out the supports and the top will fall to the ground, killing (or at least doing a lot of damage to) anyone underneath it.

Company of Crime is another XCOM-but-gangsters game that I haven't seen anyone else mention. It's not super deep, but the abilities are neat (there's some crossover of abilities between the 4 classes). Combat is mostly melee-based, with a bunch of abilities that work well together, like the various grapple moves that keep an enemy from doing anything on their turn, or kicking a guy into (or out of) one of your other characters' zone of control to trigger (or prevent) an opportunity attack. Fort Triumph also has some of this - ranged characters get an overwatch ability that triggers on any enemy movement and melee characters get a kick that damages and pushes enemies back (and everyone gets a minor "move an enemy" ability that doesn't do any damage, but will get an enemy out of melee range, and that also counts as movement for overwatch attacks).

Both of them are fun variations on the "move action, then attack action, try to flank from full cover" turn-based formula that nu-XCOM standardized (both games let you move after you attack; CoC even lets you move into position and attack with the same action point, for most attacks/abilities), and both games have more emphasis on moving your enemies around.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 15, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Chivalry 2's caught my eye, I could go for a mindless melee shouting simulator

i heard of Mordhau as well but know less than nothing about it

Orv
May 4, 2011
For what it's worth it's not really a choice. Mordhau only has the sweatiest, naziest motherfuckers left. Chiv 2 is a ton of fun.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Chiv 2, waiting for it to download now. For anyone else on the fence let it be known that the Epic Mega Sale with a $10-off coupon that applies to anything on checkout ends on 6/17, at which point the game will go from effectively $30 back to $40

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I will say mordhau does have a pretty fun horde mode especially if you have a crew, but aside from that ehhhhh

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan posted:

Yeah I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Chiv 2, waiting for it to download now. For anyone else on the fence let it be known that the Epic Mega Sale with a $10-off coupon that applies to anything on checkout ends on 6/17, at which point the game will go from effectively $30 back to $40

Initial impressions are that this is a blast. I find myself regularly laughing out loud during matches because of the stupid poo poo that happens which is a feeling I haven't had since like, Team Fortress 2. I also love the total meat-grinder feel to the combat; it's great that during one life you try and scale a ramp up the castle walls and take an instakill flaming ballista to the chest and get ragdolled across the map, and then 30 seconds later you've respawned and you're quickly surrounded by 4 dudes and you perfectly parry and kill them all and feel like you're Neo in The Matrix. Very very little downtime; you're constantly in the poo poo. Leading a charge and pressing the battlecry button and having everybody behind you follow it up with their own is a huge rush.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

looks like the villagers in my time at sandrock look just as weird of bobbleheads as the people in my time at portia

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's the Secret Order 2, which is indeed a HOG! It's one of the ugliest ones I've seen whenever the characters come onscreen, but otherwise nice. Stupider plot than usual though.

That must be some amazing level of stupid, as I love HOGs but man are they badly written.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The 7th Guest posted:

looks like the villagers in my time at sandrock look just as weird of bobbleheads as the people in my time at portia

Okay? What's the problem? It's a pretty cartoony game in theme as well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's not really a problem, i just think they look weird

portia was really janky all around too, but i'm hoping this is going to be a smoother experience (that said, it's launching in early access like the first game). i played through the first, i think it was like close to 70 hours, but there wasn't any one component of it where i thought "they really nailed this!". speaks to the effectiveness of an addictive gameplay loop i guess, so i guess that's what they nailed the most

sad question
May 30, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Titan Quest ( a game that is still being supported!) and all of its expansions are on sale this week. They also added controller support as of last year sometime.

Are both of them worth having? I player AE this year and quite enjoyed it with summoner build.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I'm a bit late for the guy asking tactic game recommendations, but consider checking out Battle Brothers and Urtuk.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
A Monster's Expedition has heard the word, the word of the Cool Bird

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

beats for junkies posted:

My "Investigation" category in Steam currently has: The Council, Disco Elysium, Hand With Many Fingers, Heaven's Vault, Kathy Rain, Painscreek Killings, and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. Other than those games and Obra Dinn (which I'm planning on getting soon), any good recommendations I've missed out on? I've got a pretty high tolerance for weird/janky games, so don't let that stop you. :)

Lighter on the investigation, but

Chicken Police: Paint it Red
https://youtu.be/9r_2WFou8K0

Murder by Numbers: Picross murder mystery!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVSXiRPYL30

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Play posted:

I didn't like it at all. Seemed somewhat unfinished and also insanely hard, at least the early access (I think) build I had. One of the very first unavoidable combat encounters after the tutorial I couldn't figure out how to beat without getting a character killed despite savespamming and trying it several times over. Also didn't look all that great.

I liked the characters and worldbuilding in Mutant Year Zero quite a bit. The combat is fun but somewhat limited in that it is 90% about using stealth to scout, pick off stragglers and then set up your first strike on the main group.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Well I just got an email informing me the brigador devs banned me from their subreddit with no explanation, days after those posts. I guess the devs are in full "gently caress you" mode now.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Well I just got an email informing me the brigador devs banned me from their subreddit with no explanation, days after those posts. I guess the devs are in full "gently caress you" mode now.

chuds gonna chud

Doesn't surprise in the least given their other behavior.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just finished Yes, Your Grace. Short, but fun little indie game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Chivalry 2's caught my eye, I could go for a mindless melee shouting simulator

i heard of Mordhau as well but know less than nothing about it

Mordhau has a really cool combat system and I recommend it for that alone, but unfortunately they haven't done anything all that interesting with it. No matter the map mode, you're ultimately just kind of flailing at each other (provided you can actually get within melee range before being one-shot by one of the insane number of things that can kill you out of out the blue).

Is Chivalry 2 actually out? I racked up like 2,000 hours in the first one. I don't want to start using yet another storefront, but given the poo poo Steam has been pulling lately, maybe it would be good for them to finally have some AAA-level competition.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Phlegmish posted:

Is Chivalry 2 actually out?
It was indeed released a few days ago as an EGS exclusive. There's some little things I miss from Mordhau but overall Chiv 2 is very very good.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat, well, I guess they finally got me. What are your experiences with the Epic storefront, before I dive in?

I'm amazed that Chivalry 2 actually came out, let alone that it's apparently good. Anyone else remember Mirage: Arcane Warfare? Probably not, I'm assuming I'm the only one in the world who does. I actually kind of liked it

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

drat, well, I guess they finally got me. What are your experiences with the Epic storefront, before I dive in?

I'm amazed that Chivalry 2 actually came out, let alone that it's apparently good. Anyone else remember Mirage: Arcane Warfare? Probably not, I'm assuming I'm the only one in the world who does. I actually kind of liked it

Epic Game Store is fine. I use Playnite to launch everything anyway, so I hardly notice. Free games are cool I guess. Only potential downside is that even with console crossplay I'm seeing at least a half-dozen bots in every match, but I dunno if that's due to low population numbers or just fillers as people drop in-and-out (there's no penalty for dropping mid-match in Chiv).

I also remember Mirage, but only in that I remember being vaguely excited by the previews and then somehow it launched and died apparently without my ever hearing about it again? :shrug:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i played the beta (alpha?) of mirage they did for about half an hour, enough to realize it was still supremely undercooked, and made the decision to check back in on it once it was done and out. but then it apparently sold three copies total so they shut it down within months of it being released.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
With only a few exceptions -- the situation is pretty bleak for any PC multiplayer title that isn't one of the big three (Blizzard, Call of Duty, Battlefield) and isn't free-to-play. Console crossplay helps but isn't necessarily a cure-all.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't feel like that's true

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Imagined posted:

With only a few exceptions -- the situation is pretty bleak for any PC multiplayer title that isn't one of the big three (Blizzard, Call of Duty, Battlefield) and isn't free-to-play. Console crossplay helps but isn't necessarily a cure-all.

This isn't true at all? There are tons of pc games with healthy mp communities. I've been playing hunt showdown recently and that community has been growing steadily since release. Also most co op games seem to have a pretty long lifespan. Your vermintides and DRGs. Even fighting games seem to do well. The new guilty gear has around 30k players at it's daily peak according to steam.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Phlegmish posted:

I've had no issues with it. It's true it doesn't have most of the bells and whistles that Steam does, but personally I don't need it to. It lets me buy a game that I want, and lets me look at a list of games I own through them and play them, no fuss.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Other than Vermintide, I'm struggling to think of any pay-to-play games with a healthy PC-exclusive multiplayer population that aren't Overwatch, Battlefield, console crossplay (sports games, fighting games) or free-to-play (e.g. Warzone, Apex Legends, Fortnite, Rocket League, Counter Strike, TF2).

municipal shrimp posted:

This isn't true at all? There are tons of pc games with healthy mp communities. I've been playing hunt showdown recently and that community has been growing steadily since release. Also most co op games seem to have a pretty long lifespan. Your vermintides and DRGs. Even fighting games seem to do well. The new guilty gear has around 30k players at it's daily peak according to steam.

Without knowing which ones you mean, I bet most of the ones you're talking about include those with console crossplay.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chivalry 2 seems to be doing pretty well so far

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imagined posted:

Without knowing which ones you mean, I bet most of the ones you're talking about include those with console crossplay.

Squad, Hell Let Loose, Rainbow Six Siege, Ark, Escape from Tarkov, Deep Rock Galactic, Payday 2, Grand Theft Auto Online.

I could probably go on for a while but as a point none of these have cross play between PC and consoles. Nor does "healthy" mean giant in a lot of multiplayer needs, you just need enough people to get a match or a server in a couple minutes at most and you're good to go.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

maybe i'm out of touch but i was under the impression that crossplay between platforms was still very much the exception, not the norm

like current rooty tooty loot n shooty mainstay destiny 2 doesn't even have true crossplay itself, just that you can fire up your save file on different platforms to play with that platform

and not to mention there's the whole genre of hotbar mmos that seem entirely absent from your picks? i think final fantasy 14 just passed world of warcraft's previous record in number of subscribers. i hear even the elder scrolls one is doing better than you'd expect

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 15, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Orv posted:

Squad, Hell Let Loose, Rainbow Six Siege, Ark, Escape from Tarkov, Deep Rock Galactic, Payday 2, Grand Theft Auto Online.

I could probably go on for a while but as a point none of these have cross play between PC and consoles. Nor does "healthy" mean giant in a lot of multiplayer needs, you just need enough people to get a match or a server in a couple minutes at most and you're good to go.

Yeah Tekken 7 consistently will still hit 5k+ concurrent players on Steam and it's over 6 years old at this point.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

maybe i'm out of touch but i was under the impression that crossplay between platforms was still very much the exception, not the norm

like current rooty tooty loot n shooty mainstay destiny 2 doesn't even have true crossplay itself, just that you can fire up your save file on different platforms to play with that platform

and not to mention there's the whole genre of hotbar mmos that seem entirely absent from your picks? i think final fantasy 14 just passed world of warcraft's previous record in number of subscribers.

It is not remotely the norm yet, no. Destiny 2, coincidentally, is actually getting PvE crossplay soon-ish here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tekken 7 didn't release on PC or home consoles until 2017 but it's still a really popular fighting game. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and DBFZ all have really healthy PC populations as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Only the big battl royales and rocket league have cross play the moment in any meaningful way at the moment. All other popular pc multi games are pulling from a pc only population.