Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Selling Slaanesh in a game is harder than Khorne or Nurgle though.

Khorne you just have big angry red demons who fight.

Nurgle you have zombie-dudes, everybody in games knows what a zombie is and how to animate them.

Slaanesh you gotta sell it with having people dance-fight and act like performers reveling in pain and pleasure and that's a lot more work for your animators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Selling Slaanesh in a game is harder than Khorne or Nurgle though.

Khorne you just have big angry red demons who fight.

Nurgle you have zombie-dudes, everybody in games knows what a zombie is and how to animate them.

Slaanesh you gotta sell it with having people dance-fight and act like performers reveling in pain and pleasure and that's a lot more work for your animators.

Yeah slaanesh has always been the worst defined god, unfortunately nerds just love horny stuff. People try and say it's not about sex, but excess - which doesn't really work because khorn is just excessively angry, nurgle is excessively gross, and tzeentch is excessively smart/all according to keikaku. I think the dorian grey kind of angle can work but it's hard to represent visually, as opposed to just sticking tits on everything.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Arcsquad12 posted:

Probably want to avoid comparisons with Space Hulk and Necromunda which both featured the Nids.

This doesn't excuse lack of Orks.

Seriously, I wanna hear a WAAAAAAAAGH thundering down a hallway as hordes of greenskins charge me with choppas and dakka, all while a Weirdboy special makes my teammate start shooting at us and a Nob jumps over a barrier and bumrushes someone to suplex them, all before we get to the boss, a Warboss who hallway through the fight summons a Truk that smashes through a wall with a bunch of grots manning big dakka while Stormboyz jump out of the top and try to kamikaze us and explode on death.

Is that too much to ask?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Orcs would be way more fun to fight yeah

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Orks would be way more fun to play as.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Now give it just a little too much HP and just slightly too many invulnerable phases and we're talkin'.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Fuzz posted:

Seriously, I wanna hear a WAAAAAAAAGH thundering down a hallway as hordes of greenskins charge me with choppas and dakka, all while a Weirdboy special makes my teammate start shooting at us and a Nob jumps over a barrier and bumrushes someone to suplex them, all before we get to the boss, a Warboss who hallway through the fight summons a Truk that smashes through a wall with a bunch of grots manning big dakka while Stormboyz jump out of the top and try to kamikaze us and explode on death.

Is that too much to ask?

Fatshark are loving cowards and I won't be happy until I see this very scenario play out in a first person shoota Warhammer 40k game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Orks are getting a Metal Slug style Runnin' Shoota game, at least.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Fuzz posted:

Is that too much to ask?

Points over at Space Marine.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kokoro Wish posted:

Space Marine had no business being as good as it is. The multiplayer was a lot of fun for a while and there's currently a revival project ongoing.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
It almost had a good Bolter feeling too.
Almost.
Not a single game has nailed the Bolter though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The bolter as written would make every single enemy you fight mush as soon as it touched them, tbh

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Then balance the game around it, i dont care.
I just dont like space marines with big blocky mp5s, i dont want genestealer cultists taking 3 shots to the chest and living, i want bolters.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kokoro Wish posted:

Did we play the same game?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Orks are getting a Metal Slug style Runnin' Shoota game, at least.

There's also a recent 40K Ork arcade flying sim even ("Dakka Squadron"). It's jank and looks cheap as hell (describing many 40K IP Games now) but it exists at least. It's a shame because Deff Skwadron is definitely something you could turn into a fun game.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
To whom it may concern, this weeks weekly is Tzeentchian Twins, so if youre like me and havent unlocked your engineer armor for 1 monster/special/elite in 1 gatling activation, just load up the weekly in recruit and start shooting when the monster is at 20%.
Bring a purple to go absolutely super-sure.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fishstick posted:

There's also a recent 40K Ork arcade flying sim even ("Dakka Squadron"). It's jank and looks cheap as hell (describing many 40K IP Games now) but it exists at least. It's a shame because Deff Skwadron is definitely something you could turn into a fun game.

Never forget theres a plants vs. zombies clone with dark angels and orks.

Why they didnt turn GorkaMorka in a PvP game is beyond me.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Never forget theres a plants vs. zombies clone with dark angels and orks.

Wait, what? Is it any good?

I really just want mordheim and necromunda to get the Blood Bowl treatment, with leagues and everything. Yes I know they made mordheim but it was exceptionally poorly made.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chakan posted:

Wait, what? Is it any good?

I really just want mordheim and necromunda to get the Blood Bowl treatment, with leagues and everything. Yes I know they made mordheim but it was exceptionally poorly made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cbSLrf3Oc8

Also yes, Mordheim would be nice if it was good, also necromunda.
But next up watch Hired Gun be poo poo, as 40k that you cant make bad also end up.

I swear to god, the Warhammer 40k IP turns everything to poo poo, you could make Ham&Eggs and if it had a warhammer IP it would turn out inedible.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 16, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
https://www.twitch.tv/fightthetide/clip/KawaiiCrepuscularFriseeTBCheesePull-9AgaDUPfiYpukgRi

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

Orks would be way more fun to play as.

This is absolutely true but I stand by thinking Darktide should have featured player character Chaos Marines.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Top men are already on the case: https://youtu.be/PbSWimlbRWE

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I'm getting more comfortable playing on Champion these days as an executor sword Mercenary, but I'm still not entirely sure what the optimal way of handling large numbers of enemies is.

Do I try to line them up as much as possible and prevent them from surrounding me, so that I have maximum visibility of who's about to take a swing at me, and don't get any surprises from behind? Do I backtrack and swing, or do I dodge sideways and swing at them? How much and when do I push as opposed to just dodging all the time?

I've been getting better in terms of game sense purely from putting in the hours, learning the maps better, learning how to avoid getting killed, learning to stick closer to my team and protect them from hordes why the squishy members do what they're best at, but it'd be still great to get a sense of what the optimal strategy is when it comes to pure fighting mechanics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mercenary with the Ex sword is a blender if you take the cleave talents and set your swings at head height. Best way to position yourself is in the center of the horde so that you are always hitting the maximum number of enemies with each swing to increase your speed. Mostly you will want to remain in the center for max targets while allowing the Elf to dart around the side to keep you from getting boxed in.

Your class skill is a room clearer so if you are getting surrounded it is a handy tool to knock back enemies and reposition yourself. The class skill is also good for buffing teammates so it's a win win.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 21, 2021

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mercenary with the Ex sword is a blender if you take the cleave talents and set your swings at head height. Best way to position yourself is in the center of the horde so that you are always hitting the maximum number of enemies with each swing to increase your speed. Mostly you will want to remain in the center for max targets while allowing the Elf to dart around the side to keep you from getting boxed in.

Your class skill is a room clearer so if you are getting surrounded it is a handy tool to knock back enemies and reposition yourself. The class skill is also good for buffing teammates so it's a win win.

I see, but doesn't being in the middle of a big fat horde make me pretty susceptible to getting whacked by someone in it? I really don't like getting hit at higher difficulties, it hurts. And, do I bother with pushing at all, or just keep swinging? Seems like given enough horde density, I can heal myself up pretty well with temp health assuming they don't hit me at a faster rate than that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DreadCthulhu posted:

I see, but doesn't being in the middle of a big fat horde make me pretty susceptible to getting whacked by someone in it? I really don't like getting hit at higher difficulties, it hurts. And, do I bother with pushing at all, or just keep swinging? Seems like given enough horde density, I can heal myself up pretty well with temp health assuming they don't hit me at a faster rate than that.

There is an audio cue if you're about to be hit in the back with your guard down. That's the point where you start dodging or start blocking. Pushes with the Ex Sword aren't the strongest but the push+Counterattack is decent enough.

Mercenary is a class that syncs well with other players so you need to count on them to cover your flanks while you hit the brunt of the horde. If you do get caught in a bad spot, the talent that increases your dodge distance is very handy for pulling back to a better spot. You don't have as much health as the knight but you are a lot more mobile and almost tailor built for hordes. Get in, do a lot of damage quickly, and then either dodge backwards or use your class skill to make some room. Pushes are better off with a shield because of the wider push radius, with the two handed weapons pushes are better for trying to stagger special enemies or to use push Counterattacks. You have better options with your dodge and class skill to deal with hordes when you're going executioner sword.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I had a player come into my champion expedition lobby and immediately start complaining over mic about me being under level 25 (I was 22?). He had a bad streak of games and was putting the blame on low levels for some reason. I got lightning bolt on crit from the first boon shrine and proceeded to UNLIMITED POWER my way through the expedition with the minigun. Minigun is almost always a good time but I really feel like the anchor of the team when I play Ironbreaker. Sometimes people don't give me enough cover to whip out the bullet hose.

Anyway, I noticed one of the player portrait frames covers your level so I'm just gonna put that on everyone from now on :v:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I don't want to put words in arcsquad's mouth but I think when they say "center of horde" they mean "not on the side edges, but the front center edge". So the rats are all kind of in front of you more or less, but in a wide arc, so you can cleave em. I don't think they mean the literal center, surrounded by rats. But I'm not great at this game so that might be exactly what they mean!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not literally the center of the horde. Center of your party. As Mercenary you want to be the first point of contact with the horde so that you hit the most targets and your paced strikes skill activates. Elf, WH and Dorf on the sides and/or wizard dropping nukes on the backlines.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Diephoon posted:

Anyway, I noticed one of the player portrait frames covers your level so I'm just gonna put that on everyone from now on :v:

Yeah a friend new to the game discovered that portrait frame and put it on everyone, nobody gonna quit when they see the level 7 elf now.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

There is an audio cue if you're about to be hit in the back with your guard down. That's the point where you start dodging or start blocking. Pushes with the Ex Sword aren't the strongest but the push+Counterattack is decent enough.

Mercenary is a class that syncs well with other players so you need to count on them to cover your flanks while you hit the brunt of the horde. If you do get caught in a bad spot, the talent that increases your dodge distance is very handy for pulling back to a better spot. You don't have as much health as the knight but you are a lot more mobile and almost tailor built for hordes. Get in, do a lot of damage quickly, and then either dodge backwards or use your class skill to make some room. Pushes are better off with a shield because of the wider push radius, with the two handed weapons pushes are better for trying to stagger special enemies or to use push Counterattacks. You have better options with your dodge and class skill to deal with hordes when you're going executioner sword.

Makes sense, I didn't realize there was an audio cue about this at all, what! Maybe I need to turn down the music a little to be able to hear more.

So sounds like I shouldn't bother too much with push, but focus mostly on dodge and the ult.

And yes, makes sense about being in the middle of the line holding against the horde, as opposed to being on the outskirts. With my talent tree, the more people I hit with a swing, the more HP I regen, so it's my interest to have as much coverage as possible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DreadCthulhu posted:

So sounds like I shouldn't bother too much with push, but focus mostly on dodge and the ult.

Pushes are good when you can see that the enemy is going to swing at you before you can start your own attack. It's a matter of timing so you get your guard up, push the enemy and then hack him down.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Had another busted rear end run where our Saltzpyre was duping the censer aoe healing item for the entire expedition using some boon I'm not familiar with. We got the "specials drop items" shrine boon right before the ending arena as well so we just chilled in the center of the arena inside of our healing circles while chugging potions and chucking bombs willy nilly. What a fun game mode!

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
duping boon is valaya's something I think and it dupes one of your inventory items when you use your special. I guess it has an internal cooldown in case you have a special that comes back really fast but to me it feels like it's up about every other time I use my special. It can basically carry a whole game when combined with a jade censor or a morgrim's bomb, but is also insanely good when just duping regular ol healing items or potions like prophetic strike. The shrine of fortune boon that forces drops on elite and special kills is also really good on the last level in particular, I see youtubers making GBS threads on that boon a lot but having essentially unlimited ammo and bombs with a few extra healing items mixed in on the citadel of eternity helps a ton

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

rideANDxORdie posted:

duping boon is valaya's something I think and it dupes one of your inventory items when you use your special. I guess it has an internal cooldown in case you have a special that comes back really fast but to me it feels like it's up about every other time I use my special. It can basically carry a whole game when combined with a jade censor or a morgrim's bomb, but is also insanely good when just duping regular ol healing items or potions like prophetic strike. The shrine of fortune boon that forces drops on elite and special kills is also really good on the last level in particular, I see youtubers making GBS threads on that boon a lot but having essentially unlimited ammo and bombs with a few extra healing items mixed in on the citadel of eternity helps a ton

The CD is dependant on the "power" of the duped item.
Whatever that means, but thats what the tooltip says.

Theres some combos that synch up quite nice, i think waywatcher with health pot was one of those, i cant remember.
But you can see the cooldown in your buff bar and sometimes hold on to your ult a few seconds longer.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

You can make it more reliable as well by not having any potions/bombs on you, that guarantees you'll dupe the censer basically everytime the cooldown is up. On something like a BW, handmaiden or anyone else that ults a lot it's pretty ridiculous. We had a Courage finale yesterday where basically the entire floor was littered with censers, deployed and undeployed.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
other comedy option is the grimnir grenade, especially with engineer or ranger.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

After spending the past couple weeks playing exclusively with bots for all of the "complete all Helmgart missions on Legend" career skins, going back to quick play has made me realize how much more difficult VT2 is when you aren't hosting. The difference is ridiculous.

Hosting, I can get through a mission while taking little to no damage. The game was starting to feel a little trivial and I figured it was time to move up to cata. But then as a client, I don't really understand how you're supposed to avoid constantly taking hits. Seeing an attack coming in and trying to block it before it lands is a waste of effort because it'll still hit you even though your block was up on your screen long beforehand. Pushing and dodging feel similarly useless. Makes the game feel like poo poo tbh. I guess the solution is to always play Elf so you always host.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Vargs posted:

After spending the past couple weeks playing exclusively with bots for all of the "complete all Helmgart missions on Legend" career skins, going back to quick play has made me realize how much more difficult VT2 is when you aren't hosting. The difference is ridiculous.

Hosting, I can get through a mission while taking little to no damage. The game was starting to feel a little trivial and I figured it was time to move up to cata. But then as a client, I don't really understand how you're supposed to avoid constantly taking hits. Seeing an attack coming in and trying to block it before it lands is a waste of effort because it'll still hit you even though your block was up on your screen long beforehand. Pushing and dodging feel similarly useless. Makes the game feel like poo poo tbh. I guess the solution is to always play Elf so you always host.

Up until cata people do not block, push or dodge nearly enough. I know I certainly didn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is grail knight worth it? Ive played a couple games alongside the Sister of the Thorn and Engineer DLC characters and both of them feel pretty strong especially with ranged and AOE abilities. I'm worried that the grail knight being melee only, not having a dash ability and half of Kruber's weapons being rather useless mogut make the bretonnian underpowered on legene or cata.