Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, doesn’t its Japanese name mean “that’s right” or something along those lines?

Though to be fair, I’m not sure what English name you could come up for it that preserves the original pun.

They just called its prevo "Wynaut" so id guess something like "Datsrite" which honestly is a horrible looking name so im gonna give them a pass on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Coordinator Jessie was legitimately competent, especially after the Hoenn arc so I was disappointed when they were just done with Contests. Showcases weren't nearly as interesting.

The Golux posted:

Less "hard time controlling" and more "they really like cuddling and are kind of hazardous to cuddle" usually

Yeah, if James owned like a Buneary or something that gag wouldn't be nearly as funny. Chimecho was probably his least harmful cuddlebug.

I do like that Cacnea actually ended up with a Gym Leader, though. Actually lets one of their Pokemon with potential go a bit further.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still miss Weezing and Arbok. If Ash is getting the opportunity to reunite with some of his old Pokemon in this series then TR should get the same chance at least once (I would also accept them running into their old Bewear mom from last season as well)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Yeah, doesn’t its Japanese name mean “that’s right” or something along those lines?

Though to be fair, I’m not sure what English name you could come up for it that preserves the original pun.

Wynaut's Japanese name translates to "Really?" and Wobbuffet is "That's the way it is."

そうなの sō na no
evolves to
そうなんす sō na-n-su

Every time wobbuffet pops up, it's pretty much saying "That's the way it is for Team Rocket"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Wynaut's Japanese name translates to "Really?" and Wobbuffet is "That's the way it is."

そうなの sō na no
evolves to
そうなんす sō na-n-su

Every time wobbuffet pops up, it's pretty much saying "That's the way it is for Team Rocket"

Yeah, makes sense that they’d keep it around then (unfortunately the joke is lost in the dub thanks to said Pokémon’s English name)

Though they did sort of keep the pun for Wynaut (“Why Not?”), but like I said I can’t really think of a good equivalent of Wobbuffet that both retains a similar meaning and works as a name in general.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 13, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

It's a shame because something like "Reely" could do both; "Reel" being similar enough to wobble.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wobbuffet looks at the camera, says "Eh, it's a living!"

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Oyster posted:

I wouldn't expect the system themselves to be bootlegs as those are way harder to fabricate than buying shovelware and reflashing it. 3ds's are apparently on the more expensive end, I'd guess that's why ds's are reasonable.

Awesome thanks.

And today I learned it's possible to re-activate the wi-fi GTS on Gen IV and Gen V games. Is that really a thing? Found a guide on Reddit. If turns out to be true... I am pumped.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

After getting a lovely birthday gift of a Switch to play Monster Hunter Rise on, I picked up Pokemon Sword as my first game since R/S/E and man what a blast. Became Champion and am chonking my way through the Isle of Armor, it's been a genuinely good time all around.

Popped in the pokegoons discord for trading and general pokemon chat, I'll see y'all around.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jesse and James are both extremely competent trainers who love their Pokemon a lot, it's just that they choose to be evil because it's fun and they insist on always fighting the protagonist who can never be beaten by the laws of the show.

On the few occasions they try to do something that doesn't involve ruining Ash's day they succeed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jesse and James are both extremely competent trainers who love their Pokemon a lot, it's just that they choose to be evil because it's fun and they insist on always fighting the protagonist who can never be beaten by the laws of the show.

On the few occasions they try to do something that doesn't involve ruining Ash's day they succeed.

I mean, Jessie loses a lot to May/Dawn/Sharena.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, it always amuses me that whenever they try doing something that isn’t their primary jobs they’re actually really successful most of the time.

So ironically, just giving up on Pikachu and Team Rocket in general would probably improve their lives significantly.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That's also two of James' pokemon that have been able to beat Ash's Pikachu - first Mareanie in SM incapacitated it with Poison and then Morpeko OHKO'd it with Stomping Tantrum

So if Ash is the Alolan champion, and now the Unova champion after beating Iris, does that make James the champion of two regions?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

Yeah, makes sense that they’d keep it around then (unfortunately the joke is lost in the dub thanks to said Pokémon’s English name)

Though they did sort of keep the pun for Wynaut (“Why Not?”), but like I said I can’t really think of a good equivalent of Wobbuffet that both retains a similar meaning and works as a name in general.

If you’re not looking for a super literal translation you could just go for Ceylavee (c’est la vie) but yeah, hindsight’s a bitch in regards to localization, just look at Low Kick/Ankle Sweep and Acid Armor (though that’s just a bad translation).

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Awesome thanks.

And today I learned it's possible to re-activate the wi-fi GTS on Gen IV and Gen V games. Is that really a thing? Found a guide on Reddit. If turns out to be true... I am pumped.

Yes. There is a DNS setting to change and you can get some mystery gift items from Gen 5. I don’t know about the trading stuff, I haven’t tried that out yet

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean, Jessie loses a lot to May/Dawn/Sharena.

In that case, Jessie steps out of the "Evil Antagonist" role and into a straight-up "Rival" role. Just never the Primary Rival, because the Primary Rival for the female lead tends to claim victory in the finals, and Jessie *is* still Team Rocket after all; not allowed to claim ultimate victory.

But yes, Team Rocket, when not going up against Ash & Crew, very frequently do very well. And when they go so far as to TEAM UP with Ash, they are often integral to the victory, such as when they recently got offended at obnoxious secretary lady snubbing them by ordering them on vacation specifically to get them out of the way of an operation... that they proceed to foil anyway specifically because they discover that they were locked out of the loop about it. (I will note, part of it involves James once again flexing his impressively diverse skillset by proving himself to be a competent lockpick. I forget if he's shown this before or not, I know Meowth has.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will admit Meowth tagging along with Ash & Co. during part of Best Wishes for a time was kind of neat as well (especially since TR themselves were too serious in that season for whatever reason).

Also, Jessie and James are both actually pretty skilled trainers that despite being criminals still treat their personal Pokemon with love and respect for the most part and even they have certain moral lines they won’t cross (which is what makes their continued presence in the series endearing to me even though TR has long since stopped being that important to the games themselves).

Like I said, if they were to one day just leave Team Rocket behind them and do something more constructive with their lives they’d ironically be a lot more successful/happy.

It’s just Ash and Pikachu are both OP as gently caress during a lot of the season by virtue of main character armor but at the same time somehow still can’t win a tournament with about three or so exceptions

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 14, 2021

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
They should've stayed in the malasada business

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Team Rocket are tragic archetypes in the classical sense, in that their failure isn't strictly inevitable, they could have productive happy lives, but to do so they would have to betray their very fundamental nature, and in the end they can only choose to be themselves warts and all and bring about their own downfall every time.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYPFKFhEvGM

Oh right, it's the 25th Anniversary

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

そうなの sō na no
evolves to
そうなんす sō na-n-su

I love how the closed captioning transcribes Pokemon-speak based on tone, and almost every line Wobbuffet utters is "[affirmative]".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dienes posted:

That's my point, thanks.

Its weird seeing an entire official cartoon around them being able to breed with each other when they can't in the games, and its an easy fix.

Like the cheetah, they refuse to breed in captivity.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HootTheOwl posted:

Like the cheetah, they refuse to breed in captivity.

Are you telling me no one has tried raising them with some Rockruff to help them be less anxious?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Larryb posted:

Also, Jessie and James are both actually pretty skilled trainers that despite being criminals still treat their personal Pokemon with love and respect for the most part and even they have certain moral lines they won’t cross (which is what makes their continued presence in the series endearing to me even though TR has long since stopped being that important to the games themselves).
I'd just like to make the slight division between Jessie and James here because that's the main difference between the two.
James absolutely cares a lot about his Pokémon and they love him in return. He understands what they want and how to use them well. Jessie cares a lot too, but she's also not really a good trainer per se - it's a recurring bit that she doesn't really know what moves Wobbbufet has so she doesn't really tell it to use a move rather than just telling it to do something. You also have the contests and showcases where she has a very clear vision of what she wants but she hasn't taken her Pokémon into account.

Honestly the biggest mistake the BW anime does with them isn't that Team Rocket becomes serious - at this point they've taken down three rival organizations single-handedly (as far as anyone is concerned) and they've already shown themselves as competent when they're not going for the Pikachu, so that's a natural direction to take their characters when their appearances have mostly been phoned in for the last two generations. The actual biggest mistake is that their Pokémon don't get the same treatment the previous ones did, to the point where Amoonguss, Frillish, Yamask and Woobat are just given away to Giovanni unceremoniously without even a farewell, really.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, I did like it in BW when Meowth joined up with Ash and co. for a time as it was one of the few points where he was able to revert to his old self again.

I forget, do we see ANY of Jessie and James’ usual silly antics and/or usual selves in BW?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 16, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

To be fair, I did like it in BW when Meowth joined up with Ash and co. for a time as it was one of the few points where he was able to revert to his old self again.

That was a great idea that was totally wasted in the end.

https://twitter.com/joseinextdoor/status/1121226913975029761

Also, the whole point of the multi-episode deception was to get into a Pokemon Center's vault...the sort of thing Meowth normally accomplishes by just disguising himself as a Sunflora.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 16, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

That was a great idea that was totally wasted in the end.

https://twitter.com/joseinextdoor/status/1121226913975029761

Also, the whole point of the multi-episode deception was to get into a Pokemon Center's vault...the sort of thing Meowth normally accomplishes by just disguising himself as a Sunflora.

Oh yeah, I forgot how that arc ultimately ended. Oh well, it was nice to have the old Meowth back for a bit while it lasted at least.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Larryb posted:

I forget, do we see ANY of Jessie and James’ usual silly antics and/or usual selves in BW?

Not really, unfortunately. Closest we get is around the Decolore arc where they just revert to their Sinnoh selves but with the humor stripped out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is there a particular reason why the writers decided to change TR so much for that season and that season alone (or to put it another way, why they suddenly decided to suck the joy out of those characters aside from parts of the aforementioned Meowth arc)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 16, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Is there a particular reason why the writers decided to change TR so much for that season and that season alone (or to put it another way, why they suddenly decided to suck the joy out of those characters aside from parts of the aforementioned Meowth arc)?

I suspect it was either a belated response to fan complaints about how annoying Johto-era Team Rocket was that threw the baby out with the bathwater, or a cargo-cult attempt to "recapture the magic" of the Kanto anime that forgot that the Team Rocket as serious villains in early Kanto was only a thing for about two episodes.

The cargo-cult Kanto thing is probably responsible for a lot of what was wrong with the BW anime.

The really annoying thing is that even though Team Rocket no longer showed up every episode, they didn't even really get rid of the part of their role in the Pokemon formula as padding; instead there are subplots where Ash and friends accidentally anger random wild Pokemon that fill the same role.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 16, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I do appreciate that they eventually learned they didn’t have to shoehorn TR into every episode and started using them a bit more efficiently when they did appear (particularly around XY onward)

Though the current series almost has the opposite problem where I think they could actually stand to use the group a little more (there was a long stretch of episodes where none of them appeared much at all)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not sure what it is about the early TR magic, but I think it's partly that they still felt on relatively even footing with the protags and were actual threats every now and then in their own, silly, TR way. I mean that faded by like, Koffing/Ekans Finally Evolve episode, but they were pretty competent and bumbling at the same time for a while and still being quasi-frienemies with the crew.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It evolves into cofagrigus
That's what the point of yamask is

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The actual video for this is cute as heck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojpTpT5i-PI

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not sure what it is about the early TR magic, but I think it's partly that they still felt on relatively even footing with the protags and were actual threats every now and then in their own, silly, TR way. I mean that faded by like, Koffing/Ekans Finally Evolve episode, but they were pretty competent and bumbling at the same time for a while and still being quasi-frienemies with the crew.

Even beyond that point, I think the big thing that makes Team Rocket work is that they're shown as struggling. We see them dig pitfalls, we see Giovanni chewing them up, we see them hungry, we see their sad backstories. But we also see them support each other and push through all of that and they consistently take the spotlight whenever they show up. They arguably have the most character development and are the most human out of the Pokémon cast (which... doesn't really mean much thinking about it), which is why them running out of steam somewhere around late Hoenn/early Sinnoh is such a shame.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, they did manage to recover at least some of that in recent years (especially in Sun & Moon) and BW aside have still at least managed to remain entertaining if nothing else.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Even beyond that point, I think the big thing that makes Team Rocket work is that they're shown as struggling. We see them dig pitfalls, we see Giovanni chewing them up, we see them hungry, we see their sad backstories. But we also see them support each other and push through all of that and they consistently take the spotlight whenever they show up. They arguably have the most character development and are the most human out of the Pokémon cast (which... doesn't really mean much thinking about it), which is why them running out of steam somewhere around late Hoenn/early Sinnoh is such a shame.

I always felt like they picked that steam up pretty dramatically in mid Sinnoh again, especially what with them generally being somewhat more succesful in their endeavors that actually have major focus (like Jessie being a semifinalist in the grand festival) before being walked back in Unova.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Polderjoch posted:

I always felt like they picked that steam up pretty dramatically in mid Sinnoh again, especially what with them generally being somewhat more succesful in their endeavors that actually have major focus (like Jessie being a semifinalist in the grand festival) before being walked back in Unova.

Unova was just a strange exception in all fairness, they start getting back to normal again from Kalos onward (Jessie even starts doing contests again in that season).

On another note, with the word tour setup they have going in the current series that actually raises a question: do we necessarily NEED another season when the next major game comes out or could they just keep Journeys going and simply add the new region/Pokemon/characters into the mix?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also it’s been a while since I watched this series dubbed, does Team Rocket still say “We’re blasting off again” when they get defeated or has it been changed to some variant of their Japanese signoff “This feels bad”.

Related, what do they say in the SM dub when the group winds up getting carted off by Bewear (in the original it was “What even is this feeling?”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

They say "We're off with a new blast" in the Sun and Moon dub.

I haven't seen the dub of the current series, but as far as I know their catchphrase has never been changed. Their dialogue is generally not translated as strictly as the other characters', and they still use a lot of puns and alliteration, like the 4Kids dub.