Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

WEH posted:

"wow, look at this weird thing"

ITS NOT ALIENS

"...okay, that's fine"

I SAID ITS NOT ALIENS, WHY ARE YOU MAD AT ME

sir the aliens arent going to gently caress u

actually they are

:cthulhu:
:yosbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Marzzle posted:

you true believers better become posadists instead of doing some weird rear end UFO religion in CSPAM like the internet witches tried to do

lmao

WEH posted:

it’s posadists all the way down, always has been

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

turns out they are cock and balls, true story.

prepare yourself for hard disclosure :getin:

more like soft disclosure

what a flop

:sad:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Evolution works via positive and negative feedback to boost even incremental improvements/eliminate detriments, so it works much faster than the old canard of "this information being created through random processes it would take longer than the age of the universe!" Mutation is random, sure, but evolution doesn't wait for everything to fall into place perfectly in order to move on changes. And there are other factors that appear to increase rates of mutation during times of stress, and epigenetic effects that, while not DNA related directly, can help boost immediate responses to selective pressures.

And this is before we get into the vast potential for rapid change that can come from gene duplication events, which appear to be a huge driver in increasing complexity in organisms, or the fact that a codon (which codes for a particular amino acid) works with only the first two places being correct, etc.

i mean, the fact that selective pressure exists and can force rapid genetic mutation and/or conservation doesn't contradict mutation being a stochastic process. it is. the entire concept of SNPs being used to track relatedness of individuals and other species is based upon those mutations arriving by chance. obviously the rates of mutation change based on environmental factors (radiation being a good example), but the mutations themselves are random in terms of outcome

i feel like you were trying to make a point about that arxiv article but i'm missing it

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Raelians have weekly orgies to reach the aliens, fyi.

where do i sign

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
There's a member of Heaven's Gate who had to stay behind to run the website

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jetto Jagga posted:

We all have that one co-worker that always tags along to lunch and poo poo when we're just trying to grab a salad with the gang

something tells me if it wasn't the website, they'd have found some other vital task to keep that soul off the ship

if you catch my drift

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Jetto Jagga posted:

they didnt think of just setting a cron job

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

would silicon based humanoids still have cannabinoid receptors?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

dew worm posted:

yes of course

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

dew worm posted:

*exhaling my bong at them* sure

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hooplah posted:

i mean, the fact that selective pressure exists and can force rapid genetic mutation and/or conservation doesn't contradict mutation being a stochastic process. it is. the entire concept of SNPs being used to track relatedness of individuals and other species is based upon those mutations arriving by chance. obviously the rates of mutation change based on environmental factors (radiation being a good example), but the mutations themselves are random in terms of outcome

i feel like you were trying to make a point about that arxiv article but i'm missing it

The way that the phrase "stochastic process" is normally used in these sorts of discussions is in the form of "do you know how long it would take to RANDOMLY come up with this precise pattern of genes in order to have a functional eye? UNPOSSILE!" which is absolutely not how this works. When arxiv authors argue something like "Thus, it represents a reliable storage for an intelligent signature" they appear to be arguing from an intelligent design perspective, which is what I am directly criticizing because that is how they (intelligent design proponents) frame stochasticity. But they conclude with "Overall, while the code is nearly optimized biologically [correct, to the degree anythign can be optimized in the face of stochastic forces like shifting climates or getting hit by a loving meteor or whatever], its limited capacity is used extremely efficiently to store non-biological information" which is a howler.

edit for a quick comment on something you raised that I missed earlier: relatedness is tracked by *shared* rapid mutations that are passed on true, but the generational signal in non coding parts of the genome will rapidly get swamped over time because there is no conserving factor. This is why things like microsatellites are useful for tracking populations but for longer term evolution we tend to stick with more highly conserved portions of the genome, but different parts of the genome depending on the time scale: mDNA for reasonably short times, nDNA for longer terms. So with respect to preserving information, stochasticity alone won't cut it.

Bilirubin has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Jun 18, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I have just taken a look at the actual accepted abstract in Icarus (not a biological journal), which differs from what is listed in arxiv, and it makes some pretty outlandish claims. Tomorrow I'll fire up the VPN and download the PDF because now I'm curious what sort of "intelligent" code they have found, and how.

edit: in the meantime, here is the evaluation of the paper on the Panda's Thumb: https://pandasthumb.org/archives/2021/02/genetic-code-wow-signal.html

Bilirubin has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Jun 18, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Bilirubin posted:

I have just taken a look at the actual accepted abstract in Icarus (not a biological journal), which differs from what is listed in arxiv, and it makes some pretty outlandish claims. Tomorrow I'll fire up the VPN and download the PDF because now I'm curious what sort of "intelligent" code they have found, and how.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bilirubin posted:

because now I'm curious what sort of "intelligent" code they have found

Narrator: they found nothing

Narrator: *snnnnnrk*

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

dew worm posted:

if not, we will simply bath them in hash oil until they develop them through some sort of "STOCHASTIC PROCESS"

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i just wanna play shufflepuck cafe with real space buddies

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Bilirubin posted:

edit: in the meantime, here is the evaluation of the paper on the Panda's Thumb: https://pandasthumb.org/archives/2021/02/genetic-code-wow-signal.html

Here's another clearly misguided and incorrect "paper" making GBS threads on it.

Hilariously shortsighted.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Pooky posted:

Here's another clearly misguided and incorrect "paper" making GBS threads on it.

Hilariously shortsighted.

Its actually the same paper that was reprinted on the Panda's Thumb.

I see Don Prothero and a colleague also took it on in another paper.

Papers bad but really loving funny

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Lol people actually list blog posts on ResearchGate? Man, time to really inflate the CV

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

can someone link this magic thread it sounds fun

some people shitted up the thread so the OP closed it

unless theres a new magic thread

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

let the witches have their fun

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

flight sims, ufos, drugs, this thread has my people

only thing missing now is fishing and cool knifes

:hellyeah:

thats why aliens come here, to do drugs and go fishing with cool knives

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hooplah posted:

i used to listen to mysterious universe all the time but i feel like theyve fallen off quite a bit in the years since finding them. is this your official endorsement for a better pod than MU, or do you have any other suggestions? i'm not a fan of the completely credible true believer woo types, or the IFLS skeptic types either so it's tough finding anything decent on paranormal/weird poo poo

WEH posted:

Okay, so unfortunately if there is a replacement for what mysterious universe used to be I haven't found it. I used to use Open Minds UFO Radio and Podcast UFO to keep up with poo poo, but OMUR doesn't update anymore so I'm left with Podcast UFO. I honestly hesitate to recommend Podcast UFO because he isn't that great an interviewer, but he lets guests talk and is pretty down to earth.

Astonishing Legends, and The Saucer Life are solid, but are generally more historical. I have UFO Chronicles and Wild Thing in my library but haven't really listened to them.

In the end it just sucks MU turned into an r/creepypasta aggregator, and then apparently alt right

Astonishing Legends is good for some weird monster and UFO stories

so is the Cryptonaut podcast, and Our Strange Skies

Rah! has issued a correction as of 05:19 on Jun 18, 2021

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

let your tired weary soul ascend to a higher dimension
https://youtu.be/gGj4VsgrHxA

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Edit: wrong thread

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

This is all entirely wrong.

You don't need ftl to explore the galaxy, it'll just take a while which is fine for robotic probes. 0.1c can cross the entire galaxy in 1,000,000 years. Alpha Centauri would be 40 years away.
If you have the tech to get to ~99% c somehow the timescales become trivial thanks to time dilation, interstellar travel would take a matter of months. Same for gravity warping if that's a thing.
You can find planets with ~life on them using spectroscopy telescopes just like the JWST we're launching, let alone tech 50/100/1000 years from now.
Alien intelligence could have evolved millions of years ago and had surveillance probes sitting in the oceans watching dinosaurs for all we know.
Alien intelligence could have evolved relatively close to us, it's actually more likely that they do since our being here suggests we're in the galactic habitable zone.

its birds

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Wheeee posted:

please just go away or stop trying to pretend you're smarter than everyone else because your brain can't comprehend shitposting, your posts are boring and dumb

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

birbs all the way down

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

This is all entirely wrong.

You don't need ftl to explore the galaxy, it'll just take a while which is fine for robotic probes. 0.1c can cross the entire galaxy in 1,000,000 years. Alpha Centauri would be 40 years away.
If you have the tech to get to ~99% c somehow the timescales become trivial thanks to time dilation, interstellar travel would take a matter of months. Same for gravity warping if that's a thing.
You can find planets with ~life on them using spectroscopy telescopes just like the JWST we're launching, let alone tech 50/100/1000 years from now.
Alien intelligence could have evolved millions of years ago and had surveillance probes sitting in the oceans watching dinosaurs for all we know.
Alien intelligence could have evolved relatively close to us, it's actually more likely that they do since our being here suggests we're in the galactic habitable zone.

Eh. Good luck designing a machine that can do something for one million years without getting bored or distracted and going off to do something else.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

i wonder what the aliens thought when those witches hexed the moon

did aliens on the moon get hexed too? maybe they were finally about to show themselves to us and were going to stop climate change and eradicate all diseases and give us interdimensional orb technology, but then they got hexed and died :sad:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

from egypt to hawaii its bird headed men all the way down

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

beam me the gently caress up, scotty.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

if the aliens said hey anyone that wants to come to our home planet can but we wont tell you anything about it and you can't come back would you

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

PawParole posted:

Contacting aliens could end all life on earth.

Holy gently caress I'm breaking out my ham radio make this loving nightmare stop

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Google Butt posted:

if the aliens said hey anyone that wants to come to our home planet can but we wont tell you anything about it and you can't come back would you

That's how you end up in the fourth stimpire my dude

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Google Butt posted:

do i care if the madame "won't tell me anything about" her brothel? that should answer your question

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Google Butt posted:

some people would say yes and I do not judge them, but no

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

what if they're hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Either you get to see some cool alien stuff or they try something dodgy. In which case they would quickly rue the day they brought an enraged Earth-Ape to their homeworld. Ive seen the pictures those puny bodies would snap like twigs.

I see no downsides