Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This season of Mythic Quest has become less and less funny, but by god that episode was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Prepare for a bit of choppiness in S1 as the aired order was messed around with a bit to get things moving quicker and gain an audience. I don’t think it was ever rectified for dvd/streaming so some plot points don’t make sense (from memory Dave has his van in an episode before he buys it etc).

And yes, great show and still missed.

Happy Endings is loving amazing and there's a goddamned reunion special written and waiting to be greenlit GIVE US THE GODDAMNED CLOSURE FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rhyno posted:

Happy Endings is loving amazing and there's a goddamned reunion special written and waiting to be greenlit GIVE US THE GODDAMNED CLOSURE FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST

Is that the one on YouTube marked as a table read for 4x01? I still need to watch that. I wish the audio on the old improv show they did years back that's also on YT was better, because it's drat funny but awful quality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that the one on YouTube marked as a table read for 4x01? I still need to watch that. I wish the audio on the old improv show they did years back that's also on YT was better, because it's drat funny but awful quality.

I don't think so, I think that was the actual written script for the canceled 4th season. I think Adam Palley said there's a script for a wrap up movie/maybe relaunch written.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I don't think so, I think that was the actual written script for the canceled 4th season. I think Adam Palley said there's a script for a wrap up movie/maybe relaunch written.

Since Adam Palley was mentioned, check his appereance on Ziwe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzXBikAnpgc

It's a shame that his guest hosting on The Late Late show is unavailable online, it was really, really good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

This season of Mythic Quest has become less and less funny, but by god that episode was very good.

I liked it a bunch, but it also confirmed a worry I had that with so much story left to wrap up and only two episodes left to go in the season it was gonna start rushing like crazy. The Ian/Poppy stuff was good, but very abrupt, and we basically didn’t see any expansion stuff at all for half the season. I don’t exactly wish they hadn’t done the CW stuff, because it was great, but it did mean less time for the show’s central relationship.

e: also the use of Horizon Zero Dawn footage was really really weird

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 18, 2021

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Wild story. Harrison basically said if they don't settle there's going to be a lawsuit and everything i know about what goes on in that show is going to come out.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1405917381558292484?s=19

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Happy Endings is incredibly rewatchable; it does get a little sillier in the 3rd season but I still love it. Max's momentary deer in headlights reaction to Penny and Alex wearing wig helmets is amazing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My favorite parts of Happy Endings are the random musings Max has from time to time like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hFC6bDhrPg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrVenkman posted:

Wild story. Harrison basically said if they don't settle there's going to be a lawsuit and everything i know about what goes on in that show is going to come out.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1405917381558292484?s=19

drat, I was hoping for a shitstorm that would take this garbage franchise down.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sekhmnet posted:

Happy Endings is incredibly rewatchable; it does get a little sillier in the 3rd season but I still love it. Max's momentary deer in headlights reaction to Penny and Alex wearing wig helmets is amazing.

Oh wow, I did not expect to see Flight of the Conchord's hair helmet taken to the next level.

Escobarbarian posted:

e: also the use of Horizon Zero Dawn footage was really really weird
Yeah it's actually super strange seeing the video game footage take a departure from Ubisoft owned properties and into poo poo that Ubisoft definitely doesn't own including Horizon: Zero Dawn, Diablo 3, and whatever game this came from:

It actually took me out of the show a bit, including other missed jokes like the fact they separately named their expansions Zeus and Hera, the fact Zeus showed zero gameplay, and the fact Hera was just trying to be Second Life (which for anyone who used to play Second Life got a chuckle out of the line "it's impossible.") It feels like the writers and editors are dropping the ball on some really good wink and nod jokes in favor of just pushing the dramatic aspect. I don't know why I want simple references like "what's with the greek god naming trend?" or "Zeus didn't show any gameplay other than the inventory screen" or "It's not impossible, Second Life did it!" but it'd sure make the show feel more like it knew the context it was portraying instead of slowly listing off into becoming the next Silicon Valley.

Either that or I just really want the show to subtly acknowledge that it knows what it's doing when it's showing us footage from real video game as a stand-in for their own game.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 18, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, Roku bought Quibi's content and rebranded them as Roku Originals. They proceeded to have more viewers in 2 weeks than Quibi did in their entire run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I had a dental exam last week and they had the Roku channel on and I thought the content looked familiar.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Are they edited into full-length movies/shows, or are they still in five minute chunks?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Part of Quibi's business model was that they wanted the series to be created in such a way that episodes could be mashed together after the fact and sold as traditional shows and movies. I can't imagine Roku wouldn't be showing them in that format.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Any of them actually worth watching?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Anna Kendrick one is good

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

How'd Reno 911 end up?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is the Sam Raimi show any good outside of the golden arm episode? I feel like it's the only thing I ever heard anyone mention.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

DaveKap posted:

How'd Reno 911 end up?

Good but very rushed due to the length, no time to let anything breathe or have any plots that last past a scene. Still fun though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rhyno posted:

drat, Disney+ I guess needs to make it happen. Or any eligible online platform that loves resurrecting these kinds of properties.

Sekhmnet posted:

I love Casey, but IRL she's even more insane than Penny.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Sekhmnet posted:

I had watched 75% of the first episode and gave up cuz it hadn't hooked me at all. I'm glad my friends recommended I finish the first episode at least.

You need to finish the first episode to really have a handle on it being good or not due to events.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Having a really tough time slogging through the third season of the Kominski method. Did the show go through a writer change or something?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

speaking of Adam Pally been cackling about this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

Having a really tough time slogging through the third season of the Kominski method. Did the show go through a writer change or something?

Nope, still Lorre. I thought the writing was pretty consistent, but I definitely felt Arkin’s loss. (to everyone else: he quit the show, he’s still alive irl)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love Casey, but IRL she's even more insane than Penny.

Do go on?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never even finished it, but her appearance on June Diane Raphael and Jessica St. Clair’s podcast certainly got reactions.

quote:

Wow... I love all 3 of these women but drat that was a tough listen. Casey seems so out of touch with reality. I know I can't wait til I die and get to be my white boss's ghost cheerleader.

quote:

Casey Wilson’s claim that her dead landscaper lives on in the flowers she planted in her (Casey’s) house is the most hilariously out-of-touch, insensitive, wealthy person hogwash I’ve ever heard.

quote:

Casey Wilson has lost her mind and they were being very (too) supportive of all that insane horseshit. Intrigued to see if this is the path it goes down

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-deep-dive-with-jessica-st-clair-and-june-diane-raphael/id1562764710?i=1000518931258

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Long wait for season 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoD706qGiHc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not long enough

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Not long enough

It's Q and Picard, what we wanted out of season 1.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shageletic posted:

speaking of Adam Pally been cackling about this

This is v good

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It's Q and Picard, what we wanted out of season 1.

No, what I wanted for season 1 is for none of the creatives involved to ever be near a TV property again, much less Star Trek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

No, what I wanted for season 1 is for none of the creatives involved to ever be near a TV property again, much less Star Trek.

I'll watch Stewart do literally anything in character, he can prune grape bushes for 27 hours for all I care.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'll watch Stewart do literally anything in character, he can prune grape bushes for 27 hours for all I care.

I genuinely wish that was what that show was about because it would be loving better

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Picard was the only show I ever turned off after watching as much of a season as I did. Usually if I’m close to the end I’ll push through even if I don’t enjoy it much, but at the start of episode 9 I just had such a huge “wait why in the gently caress am I still watching this poo poo” moment and stopped myself.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Picard started well enough and the just sucked.

DS9 is the last good Trek.

The Orville is the only decent modem version.

Lower Decks is not great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought Picard was great but I’m super easy to please when it comes to TV. Except the Flash. This season has been terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lower Decks is amazing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lower Decks is pretty funny, and a great love-letter to the series—but it's more a parody than an actual Trek show. It's a goofy throwaway comedy with some problems. It ain't high art, but it's a fun and charming way to kill some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it's fantastic. Best Trek since DS9.