Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
ACH push is a thing. So are wire transfers, and a million slightly higher level things like Zelle or Venmo. There are weird crusty parts of the US banking system, but electronic payments work... just fine, and are pretty widespread these days. I haven't written a check in years, and only use cash once every few months (mostly, for :420:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Zwabu posted:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0C1ChgSi9LZoa9dCTmAEZp?si=7223c6854bd240d6

Bleah this guest host on Today Explained shilled so hard for crypto. Virtually no examination of "is this all stupid bullshit and an incredible waste of energy", rather "well we've crossed that bridge, trillion dollar industry it's here to stay!" and "who can compare the energy consumed mining butts with the energy consumed printing that twenty dollar bill you're holding! Who's to say which is greater?" and "maybe Jack Dorsey is right and butt mining will help steer us into a new era of renewable energy (that will all be consumed mining butts)!" Gah, made me want to go on a rampage.

Regular host asks her at the end (New York Magazine person shilling for butts) if she's a poop toucher herself and ha ha no I only have a tiny amount I got as a gift from a friend.

satoshis marketing team sent her an affiliate gift package

podcasts are all propaganda

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Oh, oh, let me!

- Cost of a $20 note from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing: $0.10
- Cost of all electricity used to mine Bitcoin worth $20 at its historic peak price, at Washington state rates:

$20 * (1 BTC / $65,000) * (10min / 6.25 BTC) * (1 h / 60 min) * (1 day / 24h) * (1 year / 365 days) * (131 TWh / year) * (10^9 kWh / TWh) * ($0.098 / kWh) = $12

(equipment costs not included)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Are we sure that it was Seraph who wrote up the "I, Pencil" post? I thought that was some other libertarian weirdo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bablicon posted:

Do you really think the situation you described is the pinnacle of human innovation? You sound like someone from the greatest generation touting the miracle of the rotary telephone. Most coins are way better than that. They are instant and almost free. It’s really only BTC AND ETH that are lovely.

Instant (for a factor of 'instant' that includes block processing time and paying for priority in fees) and 'almost free' to move a token that is not spendable as money, as opposed to a few seconds longer than instant and actually free to move legal tender using the worst means of monetary transfer still in use?

Whatever you're smoking, it's clearly too strong for your pea-brain.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 20, 2021

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Instant (for a factor of 'instant' that includes block processing time and paying for priority in fees) and 'almost free' to move a token that is not spendable as money, as opposed to a few seconds longer than instant and actually free to move legal tender using the worst means of monetary transfer still in use?

Whatever you're smoking, it's clearly too strong for your pea-brain.

Yeah, the whole "it's fast and cheap to move through this part of the system" might even be true, but it ignores that the system, if you want to start and end with actual money, includes two separate, unrelated instances of unreliable automated haggling that skims a big chunk directly to some third party's wallet.

Meanwhile, handing someone dollars gives them those dollars instantly.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Just imagining how free I'd feel if gas cost 0.00009751btc/gal instead of dollars.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

nomad2020 posted:

Just imagining how free I'd feel if gas cost 0.00009751btc/gal instead of dollars.

Look at you being a normie with your stupid gallons. In the glorious future gas is measured in volumecoin.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

One time I messed up the burn fee on a fill up and the station exploded.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Gascoin, based on the proof of posting standard

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007

I was mostly joking but this doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about anyway. You're just quoting the party line.

I'm referring to how when pushed against the limits of what a fixed-currency can do, such as as managing a speculative bubble, bitcoiners try to replicate the institutions and processes of a government with fiat currency.

Tether operates on an open lie that it is fully backed by bitcoin, it is not and prints tether when prices fall in order to try prop up demand for bitcoin. Its analogous to a fractional banking system used by Reserve Banks to enact monetary policy. Except its not used to increase liquidity for consumers or to pay for government projects like with traditional monetary/fiscal policy, but to maintain the interest and wealth of speculators who are only holding bitcoin to profit of its volatility.

Who cares if its original purposes is to enact a anarcho-capitalist monetary system. I'm talking about how its actually being used.

Hamburger Sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 21, 2021

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

The thing you have to understand about our dumb american system is that account-to-account transfers are pull-based, so the first step in paying someone is giving them a level of access where if they punch up an extra zero, it's coming out of your account. And your bank doesn't give a gently caress, that's just an opportunity for them to charge you fees for overspending.

i'm late but what the gently caress are you talking about, every bank payment i've ever made (yes, in america) is telling my bank "hey give X to Y" and then it happens, either with a check at first and then telling a website or my phone to do it. i've never paid a fee except for that one time i had to use western union to buy internet drugs.

edit: hell one time some rear end in a top hat got my debit card info somehow and bought plane tickets, all i had to do was call the bank and my money was back instantly and they sent me a new card. i'd like to think they got arrested at the airport or something but who knows.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 21, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Somfin posted:

Yeah, the whole "it's fast and cheap to move through this part of the system" might even be true, but it ignores that the system, if you want to start and end with actual money, includes two separate, unrelated instances of unreliable automated haggling that skims a big chunk directly to some third party's wallet.

Meanwhile, handing someone dollars gives them those dollars instantly.

I think that's the problem, convenience is boring, all the overcomplication and delays make bitcoiners feel like they're doing something Fancy and Important.

A Rube Goldberg Currency.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Spurious assumptions about money have a following in the US because of funded propaganda campaigns going back 40 years, not because of peculiarities in payment processing.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Hamburger Sandwich posted:

Who cares if its original purposes is to enact a anarcho-capitalist monetary system. I'm talking about how its actually being used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I9o18gdojRw

The Crypto-pilled plutocracy is working everyday towards "the deconstruction of the administrative state"

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/apr/05/demise-of-the-nation-state-rana-dasgupta

Rana Dasgupta posted:

Why is this happening? In brief, 20th-century political structures are drowning in a 21st-century ocean of deregulated finance, autonomous technology, religious militancy and great-power rivalry. Meanwhile, the suppressed consequences of 20th-century recklessness in the once-colonised world are erupting, cracking nations into fragments and forcing populations into post-national solidarities: roving tribal militias, ethnic and religious sub-states and super-states. Finally, the old superpowers’ demolition of old ideas of international society – ideas of the “society of nations” that were essential to the way the new world order was envisioned after 1918 – has turned the nation-state system into a lawless gangland; and this is now producing a nihilistic backlash from the ones who have been most terrorised and despoiled.

The result? For increasing numbers of people, our nations and the system of which they are a part now appear unable to offer a plausible, viable future. This is particularly the case as they watch financial elites – and their wealth – increasingly escaping national allegiances altogether. Today’s failure of national political authority, after all, derives in large part from the loss of control over money flows. At the most obvious level, money is being transferred out of national space altogether, into a booming “offshore” zone. These fleeing trillions undermine national communities in real and symbolic ways. They are a cause of national decay, but they are also a result: for nation states have lost their moral aura, which is one of the reasons tax evasion has become an accepted fundament of 21st-century commerce.

While goons sit here and shitpost the laughchain, the crypto cabal are forming syndicates, bribing politicians, and forming networks to empower plutocracy more than it already is.

What we’re witnessing is the rapid rise of crony anarcho capital gaining power in first world countries, to the degree we formally only saw in destabilized nation states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crony_capitalism

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why would the elite want a world that isn't exactly how everything currently is? And how are they, in any way, better off with cryptocoins instead of owning literally all of the means of production?

The rich elites own the world already, how would a cryptocurrency provide a safe harbor when they already own all of the harbors?

What's offshore? It's just another shore, and the only reason offshore accounts exist is because they are off the shore of where they actually use and make money.

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007

Computer Serf posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I9o18gdojRw

The Crypto-pilled plutocracy is working everyday towards "the deconstruction of the administrative state"

Yes I would agree, centralisation is inherent to any system of capitalism, and in their utopia they are just using different words to describe a bureaucracy. I’m just focusing on how proponents of Bitcoin don’t even see how they are contradicting themselves because they use an arse-facing backwards method of analysis where they start with the conclusion first.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hamburger Sandwich posted:

Yes I would agree, centralisation is inherent to any system of capitalism. I’m just focusing on how proponents of Bitcoin don’t even see how they are contradicting themselves because they use an arse-facing backwards method of analysis where they start with the conclusion first.
Arsetrian School

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Crypto is the wholly unnecessary third wheel to the Koch bros. (whichever one is alive) plan of dismantling the state so they can pollute and oppress the proles as they see fit. This is neither new nor in any way actually aided or modified by the presence of crypto.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Mimesweeper posted:

i'm late but what the gently caress are you talking about, every bank payment i've ever made (yes, in america) is telling my bank "hey give X to Y" and then it happens, either with a check at first and then telling a website or my phone to do it. i've never paid a fee except for that one time i had to use western union to buy internet drugs.

edit: hell one time some rear end in a top hat got my debit card info somehow and bought plane tickets, all i had to do was call the bank and my money was back instantly and they sent me a new card. i'd like to think they got arrested at the airport or something but who knows.

You never set up a recurring bill for autopay?

Your debit card fraud experience is also outside the norm - typically with a debit card, once money is gone, it's gone, and it's up to you to prove you didn't make the transaction.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

kw0134 posted:

Crypto is the wholly unnecessary third wheel to the Koch bros. (whichever one is alive) plan of dismantling the state so they can pollute and oppress the proles as they see fit. This is neither new nor in any way actually aided or modified by the presence of crypto.

Coinbase and ethereum basically make money laundering and bribery much easier than "lobbying" or shell companies and trust fronts

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It's been a couple of years since, but the last time I challenged a charge on my debit card the fraud department guy said 'OK' and the charge went away and I never heard anything else about it. The bank also lets me give Amazon and Netflix different card numbers, so I'll know if it's Jeff loving around.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Silly Newbie posted:

You never set up a recurring bill for autopay?

Your debit card fraud experience is also outside the norm - typically with a debit card, once money is gone, it's gone, and it's up to you to prove you didn't make the transaction.

Most debit cards are Visa or Mastercard, and have reasonable protections. My bank card is technically a debit card, and I'm protected from fraudulent purchases. Maybe if you're talking a prepaid debit card, but even then I don't think you're correct.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jokes posted:

Why would the elite want a world that isn't exactly how everything currently is? And how are they, in any way, better off with cryptocoins instead of owning literally all of the means of production?

The rich elites own the world already, how would a cryptocurrency provide a safe harbor when they already own all of the harbors?

What's offshore? It's just another shore, and the only reason offshore accounts exist is because they are off the shore of where they actually use and make money.
While I concur with you completely, it is plausible that some elements of the elite would be seeking advantage against other elements of the elite. Personally I don't think there's much value on policing people on their emotional state regarding distant elites.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Silly Newbie posted:

This is wrong. The problem with a debit card is that money is gone temporarily, and that's your real money out of your account. So you also have secondary effects like overdrafting, bouncing a check, or being unable to get cash. For many people who don't have a buffer besides what's in their checking account that's a big problem. While if your credit card gets stolen and maxed out, nothing immediately bad happens. You delay paying it while talking to the company about fraud.

Both have protection from fraudulent use of the card & the ability to reverse charges.

The place where you can't get your money back with a debit card is ATM theft, if your card & pin gets skimmed.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
https://twitter.com/thacryp/status/1406592948821692423?s=20

Lol

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

jokes posted:

The clock is very much ticking on "the ways things are now" global warming is going to cause insane social upheaval I the next 50 years and the wealthy know it, who knows what governments will look like in that time.

Might as well have some money not bound to those governments to use in your off world moon station

Khorne
May 1, 2002

quote:

I'm saying you are going to exchange your paper for digital marshmellows sooner or later whether you like it or not. The only meaningful decision you have is how much opportunity cost you want to subject yourself to between this moment and that one.
there's two problems with this line of thinking

(1) we already exchanged our paper for digital money

(2) even if you assume crypto is the future, none of the existing system is the future due to the very nature of it. For it to be adopted by governments, corporations, people who receive money, etc, there'd have to be unanimous agreement on what to use. no rational actor is going to use an existing coin to replace existing currency. it'd be rolled out around exchange for usd/a nation's currency, and there would be no benefit for early adopters & no competition for who can misuse the most hardware & electricity.

#2 is even far fetched because by not making it truly decentralized and instead having a network of trust you don't have to be handicapped by blockchain, can make a system several orders of magnitude more efficient, can make a system that scales with instead of wastes additional computing power, and can make it at least as secure as any crypto. which is ultimately why cryptocurrency is a failed tech when it comes to being a currency.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 21, 2021

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Is there any reason the blockchain records have to be a competition?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

text editor posted:

The clock is very much ticking on "the ways things are now" global warming is going to cause insane social upheaval I the next 50 years and the wealthy know it, who knows what governments will look like in that time.

Might as well have some money not bound to those governments to use in your off world moon station

If civilization has so deteriorated that state-backed currencies are useless, unbacked currencies are also going to be useless.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

starkebn posted:

Is there any reason the blockchain records have to be a competition?

Every time you ask "is there any reason" the answer will eventually be "no".

Like, even in the glorious crypto future where no one has to trust any authority; how the gently caress am I going to buy stuff? Food might as well be poison. Or do I trust Costco? If so, Costco makes crypto pointless as they can be my bank.

Buy gas? How the gently caress do I trust that the octane rating is correct and that the meter that ticks away dollars satoshis isn't manipulated? Do I trust Chevron? Then they can be the bank as well! In Sweden we already have our largest supermarket chain that is also a bank. So you can buy yoghurt and get a mortgage from the same place.

It's all so loving dumb and exhausting that the crypto bros even try to hide that it's all about "look ma', I'm rich [on paper, if that]! That makes me smart!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hello Sailor posted:

If civilization has so deteriorated that state-backed currencies are useless, unbacked currencies are also going to be useless.

Especially currencies that inherently require extensive worldwide infrastructure- electricity, internet, space travel, satellites- to function.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

My neighbors' kid is a bitcoin evangelist (as in we went from "hello, nice to meet you" to him trying to get me to invest in dogecoin and asking to setup a mining rig in my garage in less then an hour). And the destruction of civilization as we know it was part of his sales pitch.
Apparently bitcoiners have thought of this problem and came up with the solution of trading coins via hamradio.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Khorne posted:

there's two problems with this line of thinking

(1) we already exchanged our paper for digital money

(2) even if you assume crypto is the future, none of the existing system is the future due to the very nature of it. For it to be adopted by governments, corporations, people who receive money, etc, there'd have to be unanimous agreement on what to use. no rational actor is going to use an existing coin to replace existing currency. it'd be rolled out around exchange for usd/a nation's currency, and there would be no benefit for early adopters & no competition for who can misuse the most hardware & electricity.

#2 is even far fetched because by not making it truly decentralized and instead having a network of trust you don't have to be handicapped by blockchain, can make a system several orders of magnitude more efficient, can make a system that scales instead of wastes additional computing power, and can make it at least as secure as any crypto. which is ultimately why cryptocurrency is a failed technology.

Seraph's continual sales pitch of "it's not too late for you to get in on bitcoin - but can you afford to wait any longer" is because the only way to get cash out of the system is to convince another idiot to put cash into it

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Party Boat posted:

Seraph's continual sales pitch of "it's not too late for you to get in on bitcoin - but can you afford to wait any longer" is because the only way to get cash out of the system is to convince another idiot to put cash into it

I like how he shoots his own arguments in the foot every time he tells us the estimated USD value of his digital coin collection. If it was a currency, he wouldn't need to.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Number go down.

This is good for bitcoin?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raygereio posted:

My neighbors' kid is a bitcoin evangelist (as in we went from "hello, nice to meet you" to him trying to get me to invest in dogecoin and asking to setup a mining rig in my garage in less then an hour). And the destruction of civilization as we know it was part of his sales pitch.
Apparently bitcoiners have thought of this problem and came up with the solution of trading coins via hamradio.

Im not even sure why Im asking, but how in the gently caress is a Ham Radio gonna work for literally any of this. Like doesn't the need to trust the other person that the imaginary number of btc they own they do and that they are subtracting it when they say they're giving it to you undermine both its usefulness and also the fundamental point of Bitcoin which is that each and every libertarian knows only that they are untrustable?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Hello Sailor posted:

just lol if you don't already have plans to create a LAN-based crypto for use in your settlement after the collapse of civilization

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Barudak posted:

Im not even sure why Im asking, but how in the gently caress is a Ham Radio gonna work for literally any of this. Like doesn't the need to trust the other person that the imaginary number of btc they own they do and that they are subtracting it when they say they're giving it to you undermine both its usefulness and also the fundamental point of Bitcoin which is that each and every libertarian knows only that they are untrustable?

in the wasteland that Ham Radio better be made out of ham

or they gonna eat your face instead (instead of saving it for later)

the thumb drive gets tossed in the dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

does anybody have that screenshot of the price graph of somebody losing $60,000 overnight on one of the recent crypto crashes? I feel like posting that along with "we can be wrong every time, you can only be wrong once"