Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Asterite34 posted:

I suspect it's less "animals" specifically, so much as "loud, stupid, violently dangerous things" in particular.

Motorcycles fit right into that wheelhouse. I bet he likes chainsaws too.

Also he probably can't ride nearly as many animals as he'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hagrid does love all animals. His actual pet, Fang, is just a big silly, cowardly dog.. Buckbeak and other Hippogriffs aren't really dangerous either unless you provoke them. Etc..

Hagrid is absolutely the single most likable character in HP. He's like Harry's big little brother.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

Hagrid does love all animals. His actual pet, Fang, is just a big silly, cowardly dog.. Buckbeak and other Hippogriffs aren't really dangerous either unless you provoke them. Etc..

Hagrid is absolutely the single most likable character in HP. He's like Harry's big little brother.

Kinda drives home the absurd farce that is the wizarding world. The nicest wizard of all gets dragged off the torture prison on racist framed charges, directly by the prime minister, multiple times. This is a government that has a specific dude to ritually execute Hagrid's horse friend. Also the dude is openly part of the nazi party. All of this is because the son of the prime minister's best friend is the father of the dumbass baby nazi that deliberately ignored Hagrid's instructions and shittalked the horse.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
On the other hand, it's a pretty biting satire of British politics.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Wondering if Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon would have disowned Dudley if he turned out to be a wizard too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Wondering if Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon would have disowned Dudley if he turned out to be a wizard too.

The epilogue was terrible but it would have been slightly less so if we saw a grownup Dudley bringing his kid to Platform 9 3/4 for the first time with a sheepish look on his face.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TinTower posted:

Also, some wizards gently caress their house elves.

Because JKR has really hosed up views on rape.

I missed out on responding to this, but what the gently caress??? :stonk: Is this supposed to be a thing from the Fantastic Beasts movies?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

IIRC, wizard kids show signs of magic when they're around 5-7 so they've probably been attached to Dudley by then. Once it gets out, there would probably be a lot of denial and blaming Harry for corrupting Dudley or something. But once they reluctantly accept it, I imagine Petunia would remember her childhood and want Dudley to be the special one in the family. If Dudley was going to be a wizard then they'll make sure he's better at it than Harry and buy him the best poo poo possible.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The epilogue was terrible but it would have been slightly less so if we saw a grownup Dudley bringing his kid to Platform 9 3/4 for the first time with a sheepish look on his face.

Yeah, it would've been such a cool thematic ending too. But nope, Rowling believes your parents being terrible decides everything about the rest of your life.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

amigolupus posted:

I missed out on responding to this, but what the gently caress??? :stonk: Is this supposed to be a thing from the Fantastic Beasts movies?

The Lestrange’s housekeeper in FB2 who sent Leta and Corvus to America is a half-elf.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/status/1404853834841686018?s=20

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
maybe if they made coherent movies and didn't try to shoehorn a bunch of weird crap into them?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Can't believe the sequel to a movie where a major plot point was "I didn't kill my brother by accident, I killed a completely different baby by accident after I switched them because he cried too much(?????????????????????)" is turning into "a disaster"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I bet you WB execs are really wishing that there was any amount of money to convince JK just sell them the franchise outright. The brand is toxic as gently caress, but stuff like the theme park still prints cash. If they could just hire a competent writing team and go "you liked Mandalorian? Here's the Adventures of Young Dumbledore. He kisses Mads Mikkelsen on screen! JK won't get a dime! Have a token trans character!" It would still prolly suck but it wouldn't be a trash fire financial failure. poo poo imagine if they brought back the original cast as the same characters for the Mando clone. Start the series with the epilogue scene but heavily retconned to be good. Have Harry be all "poo poo that Dumbledore guy was a horrible manipulator and furthered the abuse that haunts my present." JK loves Dumbledore.

Also I'd point out that would still involve JK getting a fuckton more money. She's already so rich that I almost don't care. The extremely public and final cancellation, a world where only the Ben Shapiros of the world care what she has to say, would hurt her more than anything else. And extra giant pile of money and a third treehouse benefits her less than that hurts.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 23, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dang I was really looking forward to nazi wizard Johnny Depp Mads Mikkelsen's quest to prevent the holocaust being heroically stopped by wizard Jude Law absolutely blasting the gently caress out of them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I bet you WB execs are really wishing that there was any amount of money to convince JK just sell them the franchise outright. The brand is toxic as gently caress, but stuff like the theme park still prints cash. If they could just hire a competent writing team and go "you liked Mandalorian? Here's the Adventures of Young Dumbledore. He kisses Mads Mikkelsen on screen! JK won't get a dime! Have a token trans character!" It would still prolly suck but it wouldn't be a trash fire financial failure. poo poo imagine if they brought back the original cast as the same characters for the Mando clone. Start the series with the epilogue scene but heavily retconned to be good. Have Harry be all "poo poo that Dumbledore guy was a horrible manipulator and furthered the abuse that haunts my present." JK loves Dumbledore.

Ironically Harry Potter currently feels trapped in the same predicament Star Wars is in where they just keep going back to the same characters and stories instead of branching out and trying new things. Star Wars can use a good story away from the central Skywalker saga where someone does something with lasers and space ships and maybe a little force well away from any known named characters; likewise I would love a Wizarding World story that was just some wizards having their own adventures/fights in some part of the world but Dumbledore or Hogwarts or any of the faves didn't need to show up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, it's actually a real problem that Universal needs big IPs to keep its theme park rolling and WB needs big franchises to make into movies and merchandise to sell at Barnes and Noble, and there's not really a whole lot for them to choose from that has a similar hold on people's minds. Over the last 20 years, they haven't really invested much in growing new things from scratch, and now they need big franchises to be able to compete with Disney after Disney already bought up all the other big IPs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sydin posted:

Cup - Uh... well it multiplies a bunch if you try to take it out of the vault. That's neat right?

They cut it out of the movie, but in the book, in addition to the cup constantly multiplying, each one became white hot. So if you weren't crushed to death underneath them, you'd be burned to death.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Ironically Harry Potter currently feels trapped in the same predicament Star Wars is in where they just keep going back to the same characters and stories instead of branching out and trying new things. Star Wars can use a good story away from the central Skywalker saga where someone does something with lasers and space ships and maybe a little force well away from any known named characters; likewise I would love a Wizarding World story that was just some wizards having their own adventures/fights in some part of the world but Dumbledore or Hogwarts or any of the faves didn't need to show up.

Star Wars is doing exactly this, though, with the mandalorian and Star Wars rebels and all that. The problem is that those properties only bring in millions instead of billions

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aglet56 posted:

Star Wars is doing exactly this, though, with the mandalorian and Star Wars rebels and all that. The problem is that those properties only bring in millions instead of billions

I admittedly haven't watched the entirety of the Mandalorian but my impression was that it started out that way and fans loved it but then they brought back certain fan favorites in the second season because they couldn't keep away. But yeah, if they continue to expand outward and not forcefully recycle old characters and ideas it will only be for the best.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

rowling is way too unimaginative & boomer to actually write a story taking place anywhere but britain. her take on the US in the dumb bad movie was dumb and bad, and god help her if she tries to write a wizard story set in africa or asia or south america. despite her apparent fondness for bizarre historical british traditions & customs, she doesn't seem to have any interest in pre-20th century wizards either. so where can the franchise go from here within the limitations of the author? a fanfiction-esque series about harry's parents?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Coming this fall...

"I- I have a secret."

"I HATE MY PARENTS I HATE THEM ARHGHHHGHBARGLE"

"I want to be strong like them!"

The Marauders

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

When he learns it's gone he freaks out and is basically like "yeah, I was right all along. I trusted Lucius and Bellatrix and look where it got me. Don't trust anyone."

Voldemort would have been a more interesting villain if he started doing the stone cold stunners and handing out beers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

karmicknight posted:

Voldemort would have been a more interesting villain if he started doing the stone cold stunners and handing out beers.

He's British, so he'd be more like Big Daddy than Steve Austin

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jazerus posted:

rowling is way too unimaginative & boomer to actually write a story taking place anywhere but britain. her take on the US in the dumb bad movie was dumb and bad, and god help her if she tries to write a wizard story set in africa or asia or south america. despite her apparent fondness for bizarre historical british traditions & customs, she doesn't seem to have any interest in pre-20th century wizards either. so where can the franchise go from here within the limitations of the author? a fanfiction-esque series about harry's parents?

The new Harry Potter game is pre-20C stuff at Hogwarts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rowling supposedly has very little to do with the new game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Star Wars even as early as ANH with the Cantina did a good job at showing the universe was full of other people dealing with their own poo poo unrelated to the main cast. The very nature of the setting being such a broad thing as "It's High Fantasy, but with technology!" and taking place in something as large as a literal Galaxy, means that it's really easy to tell stories in the setting that aren't tied to the movies. Sure hack authors will always try to ignore that (see the sequel trilogy or a million legends EU books) but both the old and new EU's have produced a lot of quality stuff that only tangentially relates to the movies.
The nature of Harry Potter's narrative on the other hand is both limited in size and scope. every character from Harry himself to random unnamed background extras is part of a super small insular community where they all know each other, work at the same place, and went to the same school. You really can't explore the unseen parts of the setting because there are none. everyone participated in the same events and no one was off doing something else.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Rowling supposedly has very little to do with the new game.

Yeah which makes it interesting from the perspective of seeing where the franchise can go.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd say that the first book seemingly implies a much bigger wizarding world that is hidden throughout the real/muggle world all over the place in weird little magical nooks and crannies that expand out into a much huger world, but that kinda dissolves over time as less and less new places really get introduced in any depth, which wasn't exactly a problem as the original book series was going, since the plots inside of Hogwarts were expanding so much that you didn't really see the world outside of Hogwarts shrinking. At least until you get to the final book, and Harry kinda does a final lap around the wizarding world, but there's not much there and the characters are kinda left with without many aspirations or plans outside of Hogwarts, which kinda drains from the weight of Ron and Hermione taking a gap year with Harry.

The first book even opens with a killer flying motorcycle, but it turns out that's not really indicative about everything in the wizarding world, it's just one guy's weird thing. Aperation really screws with everything.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It wouldn't be new ground but you could probably do a pretty good 1 season show about an undergound resistance group assassinating death eaters and sabotaging the ministry during voldy's takeover. End with them all dying during a prison break on azkaban or something. Could entirely avoid canon characters.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Ultra Carp

TinTower posted:

One of the most prominent Jewish characters JKR has ever written became a magic nazi rapist in Fantastic Beasts 2.

I’m not joking, that’s literally what she does. Her first scene shows how she’s been keeping Dan Fogler’s character dosed up on love potions for months since FB1, and by the end of FB2 she joins Grindelwald because he’ll stop Hiroshima or something.

It’s really gross and really awful and FB2 is an awful movie.

:barf:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The film Munich but for Harry Potter

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Voldemort stand-alone movie from the perspective of the eponymous antagonist, depicting her conflicted relationship with the king and princess of a corrupt kingdom his conflicted relationship with Dumbledore and Harry Potter of a corrupt wizarding world.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 24, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

I admittedly haven't watched the entirety of the Mandalorian but my impression was that it started out that way and fans loved it but then they brought back certain fan favorites in the second season because they couldn't keep away. But yeah, if they continue to expand outward and not forcefully recycle old characters and ideas it will only be for the best.

Not really? Like, 2 of them? And one of them is getting their own new live action show and this was the introduction to that.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Guy A. Person posted:

They did throw some fan favorites into Season 2, but in a way that felt organic to both the story and didn't overshadow the lead characters. You're still there first and foremost for the adventures of Mando and The Child, and sometimes a familiar face pops up as a guest star, you go "Oh, hey, that character; I love that character" and they do some cool stuff and help Mando out and don't outstay their welcome.

Like if there were a series about a pair of magical treasure hunters and, in the course of that week's adventure they bumped into Bill Weasley who's looking for the same magical doo-dad hidden in an abandoned castle on behalf of Gringotts; they team up for the hour and at the end Bill is like "Oi yew lot are awwright in my book, yeh? 'Ere, gimmie that map, I can point yer in the right direction fer that big fing yer lookin' for..." and then you don't see him again until the season finale, if ever.

galagazombie posted:

The nature of Harry Potter's narrative on the other hand is both limited in size and scope. every character from Harry himself to random unnamed background extras is part of a super small insular community where they all know each other, work at the same place, and went to the same school. You really can't explore the unseen parts of the setting because there are none. everyone participated in the same events and no one was off doing something else.

Rowling wanted to have it both ways, where there's a vast and vibrant community of magicians across the globe that can sustain shadow government/economies/a massive World Cup event/etc. but also the entire British magic community needed to be related so that she can have her snippy little quaint British soap opera. There are definitely ways to write around what she turned the series into.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The characters that show up in S2 of Mando turn up for reasons that are baked into the premise of the show. I think a few elements could have been handled better but if they are looking for Jedi then they either need to meet Luke or have a very good reason not to run into him eventually.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also all the Mando cameos were 1-2 episodes at most, and turned out to essentially be soft pilot episodes for those characters getting their own series focusing on them.

The best thing for a HP spin-off to do is go full KOTOR and set itself hundreds of years back from the events of the main series so that it can do whatever it wants and still jive with accepted canon. The upcoming game is kinda doing that by setting itself in the 19th century.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sydin posted:

Also all the Mando cameos were 1-2 episodes at most, and turned out to essentially be soft pilot episodes for those characters getting their own series focusing on them.

The best thing for a HP spin-off to do is go full KOTOR and set itself hundreds of years back from the events of the main series so that it can do whatever it wants and still jive with accepted canon. The upcoming game is kinda doing that by setting itself in the 19th century.

Set it in 1633 and just never ever address the 30 years war.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/895620/Spellcaster_University/

Build your own knockoff hogwarts, complete with your own houses and yes you can make one (or more) of them evil. This looks kinda fun.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/895620/Spellcaster_University/

Build your own knockoff hogwarts, complete with your own houses and yes you can make one (or more) of them evil. This looks kinda fun.

drat this looks good

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sydin posted:

Mando season 2 is fine-to-good, but it needs more season 1 energy and way less season 2 finale energy.

People are just willing to overlook how bad the season 2 finale is because collectively the rest of the show is the best live action Star Wars in decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
can we talk about the serious levels of swag that gilderoy lockhart has in the second movie?