Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Chalks posted:

The reason centralization is bad is because of the exact thing that's happening now in China. If it happening is in fact not bad, then centralization is fine I guess?

Take it as a given that centralization is just inherently bad. That's basically the whole point of bitcoin.

If it's de-facto centralized, as it was in china, then the whole scheme isn't even internally consistent. You could see the true believer Hyper-Logical Libertarian types squirm trying to defend that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nybble posted:

Note: he never explains why it’s good, It Just Is

mods

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

cool av posted:

Take it as a given that centralization is just inherently bad. That's basically the whole point of bitcoin.

If it's de-facto centralized, as it was in china, then the whole scheme isn't even internally consistent. You could see the true believer Hyper-Logical Libertarian types squirm trying to defend that.

it also seems like mining would self centralize itself in the one place that offers cheapest power and gives the least shits

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

KnifeWrench posted:

perhaps more accurate to say centralization is self-correcting? make too big of a target and you get shut down. we joke a lot about bitcoiner talking points, but this would appear to be a legitimately resilient aspect of the system, unfortunately

Yeah I just mean that Bitcoin is no stronger for having proved that it's vulnerable to centralization and government action even if will survive because the whole point is that this stuff shouldn't have an impact.

So Bitcoin is reliant on finding another friendly government with vast cheap energy reserves, how very decentralised.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

Shumagorath posted:

buttcoin: be your owned bank

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
my fiscal and ecological and political and judicial and psychological catastrophe is also named bortcoin

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shumagorath posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shumagorath posted:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

also China has rock bottom energy prices and bitcoin mining is only profitable in america right now because of tethers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Beelzebufo posted:

also China has rock bottom energy prices and bitcoin mining is only profitable in america right now because of tethers.

All power belongs to the CCP

And nobody steals from the CCP

NOBODY

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol. just lol.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
the top four addresses (3 of which are claimed to be exchange cold wallets) control about 5% of the bitcoins

the top ~100 addresses control ~15% of the bitcoins

the top ~2000 addresses control ~25% of the bitcoins

...and a bunch of those addresses are known to be controlled by the same users/entities: binance owns the top wallet, but also owns different wallet that's also in the top ten. kraken owns 4 wallets in the top 100. and so on.

bitcoin has literally never been decentralised for any meaningful definition of the term

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SubG posted:

the top four addresses (3 of which are claimed to be exchange cold wallets) control about 5% of the bitcoins
of course the winklevoss twins would use a single wallet :rolleyes:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh yeah buttcoin will be great for the Texas grid:

quote:

Texans regret opting into power plan that remotely raises thermostat temps
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/06/texans-regret-opting-into-power-plan-that-remotely-raises-thermostat-temps/

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
texas is weird

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

just buy a cooler house nft

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Shumagorath posted:

Please Dear Sweet Baby Jesus please mods

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

no see we don't actually deliver electricity to your house, you just get a url that goes to a page that says "your house has electricity"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcoin is a store of energy so just use them to power your ac

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

on paper my house is already cool enough its just swealteringly hot because of unrealised gains

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SubG posted:

on paper my house is already cool enough its just swealteringly hot because of unrealised gains

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

have you considered that if your house was even hotter you could use the heat to power a small steam dynamo and mine bitcoins??

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Lmao when you're in Austin in all you can afford is renting an apartment and you can't opt out of the power saving plan

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
i'm so proud :canada: :bitcoin: :quadrigacx:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Reading this this seems like it would a great system in a socialized context.

In particular I feel like a swtich like this should just be installed in all coiner rigs, so the utility can choose to turn them off when better uses of electricity exist.

So just weld the switch to off.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
can we make a coin that gives rewards for producing energy so a whole bunch of fat nerds will get in shape on exercise bikes powering generators and some genius will make a literal hamster wheel farm

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jisforjosh posted:

Lmao when you're in Austin in all you can afford is renting an apartment and you can't opt out of the power saving plan

Does it run often enough to keep your sleeping space below 72 at night? Might want to get used to 86 degrees inside if texas gets its bitcoin wish.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

vortmax posted:

Please Dear Sweet Baby Jesus please mods

thank you mods i love you

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

vortmax posted:

thank you mods i love you

please stop doxxing (acknowledging the existence of) the mods tia

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Boxturret posted:

please stop doxxing (acknowledging the existence of) the mods tia
how dare you doxx me by quoting my post! i'm off to QCS to start a thread about your doxxing

i don't even know who the mods are, only that they exist
unless it's DEAR JEFFERY

edit: buttcoin

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mercury_Storm posted:

can we make a coin that gives rewards for producing energy so a whole bunch of fat nerds will get in shape on exercise bikes powering generators and some genius will make a literal hamster wheel farm

proof of workout

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/MrktMeditations/status/1406982376417280001

Love to have 3 tons of backdoors in MD.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 22, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Soricidus posted:

proof of workout
look into the Deal With The Devil app for that one

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Kraken is showing a sub $30k price. Tether printer not go brrrrr?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

that’s a $10-15k movement, depending on market and poo poo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

proof of workout
heh

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

someone at Fort Meade just popped the largest boner in the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Kraken is showing a sub $30k price. Tether printer not go brrrrr?

Not recently. It's been quiet for a couple of weeks. There was a similar quiet period about 3 months ago. I think on that occasion it was commented on as being maybe something to do with the NYAG agreement?