Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's an Australian politician who went on TV to claim that the vaccines have killed over 200 people in this country (there's actually only been two vaccine deaths due to blood clots) because she misinterpreted a report about the number of people who subsequently died after being vaccinated. The very very patient interviewer tries valiantly to explain to her that different words have different meanings but she simply won't back down.

https://twitter.com/ABCmediawatch/status/1406943305888198662

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Death By The Blues posted:

I mean there will be some discontent. Delta is arriving faster then people anticipated and it has a DLC now. On top of general economic woes and trade supply worries/disruptions.

We've changed completely normalized the level of sickness and death that any variant currently on the market will cause.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's an Australian politician who went on TV to claim that the vaccines have killed over 200 people in this country (there's actually only been two vaccine deaths due to blood clots) because she misinterpreted a report about the number of people who subsequently died after being vaccinated. The very very patient interviewer tries valiantly to explain to her that different words have different meanings but she simply won't back down.

https://twitter.com/ABCmediawatch/status/1406943305888198662

aaaaaaaaaaa wtf is Pauline Hanson still doing around, I thought she lost her seat?!?!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

crepeface posted:

aaaaaaaaaaa wtf is Pauline Hanson still doing around, I thought she lost her seat?!?!

What is dead can never die.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Blitter posted:

The cleavage site is not a loving smoking gun, and Baltimore is a politically compromised old hack and his assertions widely disputed and is not well supported by credible science or scientists.

You really have conspiracy brainworms going on to believe that poo poo.

Delta-Wye has been a lab leak truther since at least last winter.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Did someone say "cleavage?" :q:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
More than 1/500 people from her state are dead from COVID.

https://twitter.com/DMRegister/status/1407658443272556550?s=19

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

read down the thread and this is being used as more evidence of the insidious Chinese covering something up

Uhhh. Have you seen their covid case graphs? Lol

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Imgur is being weird right now otherwise I'd just post the graphic but all the relevant info is in the url.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/22/make-it-kinky-at-summer-sex-parties-nyc-health-dept/

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1407527836605456388

https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1407445619325628419

https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1407445622580342784

https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1407445628049756164

https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1407445630612480001

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
also i went in for a novavax followup bc of my cold symptoms, even though i had tested negative twice. the PI — who also ran a J&J trial — thanked me for coming in, and i joked "well, i'll show either the vaccines work and this is just a cold, or i've got super spooky variant that evades both vaccines and normal testing!" she laughed ruefully, and then said "yeah i think you have a cold, but based on what i'm seeing, i'm guessing we will have variants that will escape the vaccines by september, and people will get what they think is a cold and it will turn out to be covid. can't know that, just what i'm suspecting."

happy open biden everyone!!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pingui posted:

A couple of interesting points here:

I don't know why this makes me think of it, but has anybody else noticed that there's a little bit of an internet fitness culture tinge to some of the antivax stuff? I have to have seen a hundred posts about "I work out and eat right and I'm young, so I don't need to get a shot," I think Joe Rogan said as much to his fans. That's probably pretty bad.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Real Mean Queen posted:

I don't know why this makes me think of it, but has anybody else noticed that there's a little bit of an internet fitness culture tinge to some of the antivax stuff? I have to have seen a hundred posts about "I work out and eat right and I'm young, so I don't need to get a shot," I think Joe Rogan said as much to his fans. That's probably pretty bad.

Anti vax poo poo has always been one of the most shared among all ideological tenancies things in the US, but in this case people saying that are just saying whatever they feel they need to say to get the outcome they prefer

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It is fuckin wild how the news is now saying covid is not over after doing a million victory laps and now it's time to figure out how to vaccinate kids

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Real Mean Queen posted:

The heavy focus on old people with comorbidities as the only people suffering from the only potential negative consequence of COVID - namely death - resulted in that. I am hearing the same thing (in Denmark), usually combined with the vaccines being new and untested and "I probably already had it and it was nothing". As a particular caveat the clotting issues have also come up, as it skewered the risk perception - e.g. COVID won't affect me, but the vaccine can give me blood clots.

This has very little to do with your point, but it might be helpful to others trying to convince others to take the vaccine, so bear with me:
Last time I encountered it my take was to acknowledge the issues with the rapid rollout and the clotting issues, but then contextualizing them properly. E.g. there may be issues with the vaccine, but we haven't seen much with the mRNAs besides some myocarditis and pericarditis in young men (as I was talking to young women) which are entirely fixable. Meanwhile the clotting issues in women can be entirely avoidable by getting one of the mRNAs. Both myocarditis and blood clots are much more common among people getting COVID, so if that is the fear don't bet on COVID.

Even (immortal) young women don't like hearing the memory loss issues associated with COVID, which got a sheet white response when I mentioned it bares some semblance to dementia.

Perhaps more directly to the point - as a filthy Euro - there are some practicalities surrounding the vaccine when you travel. Which may have been the most convincing argument, as the notion that you can always change your mind if needed, doesn't mesh well with the latency from getting a vaccine to being certified vaccinated. An appeal to freedom :911:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Petey posted:

also i went in for a novavax followup bc of my cold symptoms, even though i had tested negative twice. the PI — who also ran a J&J trial — thanked me for coming in, and i joked "well, i'll show either the vaccines work and this is just a cold, or i've got super spooky variant that evades both vaccines and normal testing!" she laughed ruefully, and then said "yeah i think you have a cold, but based on what i'm seeing, i'm guessing we will have variants that will escape the vaccines by september, and people will get what they think is a cold and it will turn out to be covid. can't know that, just what i'm suspecting."

happy open biden everyone!!

So, here's the question then:

if covid does the thing a lot of viruses and evolves to where it just makes itself a little bitch of a virus instead of being a hellbeast, does that make covid the actual next flu, eventually, where hospitalizations are basically not happening and covid is actually a joke for most?

Or does it just kill the poo poo out of people constantly and end up with a billion long covid sufferers?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

moist turtleneck posted:

It is fuckin wild how the news is now saying covid is not over after doing a million victory laps and now it's time to figure out how to vaccinate kids

stop being such a doomer!!!!!!!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moist turtleneck posted:

covid is not over

:snoo:

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

covid is not over

hosed if true :hai:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So, here's the question then:

if covid does the thing a lot of viruses and evolves to where it just makes itself a little bitch of a virus instead of being a hellbeast, does that make covid the actual next flu, eventually, where hospitalizations are basically not happening and covid is actually a joke for most?

Or does it just kill the poo poo out of people constantly and end up with a billion long covid sufferers?

A paper was published last summer, describing how SARS-Cov2 will inevitably become just another flu, and it was quoted in part widely because it's just a flu!!

If you read the study, it makes it clear that the timeline for this is .. uncomfortably long, because it requires widespread pre-pubescent exposure for the majority of the population..

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Real Mean Queen posted:

Also the corollary to "I work out and eat right therefore I have a strong immune system therefore I don't need to take the vaccine" is "The people who caught covid obviously didn't have a strong enough immune system so they probably they didn't take care of themselves, so it's their fault they got sick"

Once you're at that point and you've pushed responsibility solely onto individuals it makes it a LOT easier to rationalise not wearing masks or practicing social isolation or closing down schools etc etc

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

that full bloom paper is, uh, something: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.18.449051v1.full.pdf+html

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've had randos in the wild start questioning me.

The other day some white trash rear end in a top hat state "what's wrong with you." As he walked by.

Yesterday someone asked me if I didn't believe in the vaccine. I told him I was vaxxed, and he shouted "hell yeah!" Made me glad I wear the full face respirator, since no one keeps distance.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Blitter posted:

A paper was published last summer, describing how SARS-Cov2 will inevitably become just another flu, and it was quoted in part widely because it's just a flu!!

If you read the study, it makes it clear that the timeline for this is .. uncomfortably long, because it requires widespread pre-pubescent exposure for the majority of the population..

Thanks my dude, I thought I'd read something like that but it's been a bit.

Iron Crowned posted:

I've had randos in the wild start questioning me.

The other day some white trash rear end in a top hat state "what's wrong with you." As he walked by.

Yesterday someone asked me if I didn't believe in the vaccine. I told him I was vaxxed, and he shouted "hell yeah!" Made me glad I wear the full face respirator, since no one keeps distance.

Parents are sneering and telling their kids, who want to wear masks, that they don't need them. When they see me, they point at me and say "but that lady's wearing them" and the parents seethe.

I might wear them long after necessary just to reinforce that face masks should be normal here in the US if you're sick.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I self identify as sick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lots of vaccinated people getting covid. I did not see that coming.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

euphronius posted:

Yeah and it is tracked pretty poorly. This dropped like a week ago and Massachusetts is one of the only places where it gets tracked in public:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/nearly-4000-breakthrough-covid-infections-have-now-been-reported-in-mass/2408052/ posted:

Nearly 4,000 Breakthrough COVID Infections Have Now Been Reported in Mass.
Health experts are urging vaccinated people to get tested for coronavirus, even for the most mild symptoms, as breakthrough infections continue to be reported

In just one week, another 150 vaccinated people tested positive for coronavirus in Massachusetts, according to the latest state data, bringing the total breakthrough cases to nearly 4,000 to date.
(..)
As of June 12, there were 3,791 cases of COVID-19 among more than 3.7 million fully vaccinated people in Massachusetts, according to the Department of Public Health. That's 150 more than the 3,641 breakthrough cases that were reported as of June 5, and 708 more than the 3,083 fully vaccinated people who had tested positive as of May 17.
(..)
More cases have likely gone unreported, federal officials have said, because they only have data from 46 states and territories. Additionally, most vaccinated people don't show symptoms that are serious enough to get tested.
(..)
Health experts are urging vaccinated people to get tested for coronavirus, even for the most mild symptoms, both to keep track of the virus and potential mutations as well as prevent further spread.

"Testing to identify current infection remains critical to control of COVID-19," a spokeswoman for the Department of Public Health said in a statement. "People with current infection can spread the virus to others and isolation of cases and identification of close contacts (individuals who may have been exposed) is a foundation of public health response."

In fact, the more contagious Delta COVID-19 variant, first identified in India, has been in Massachusetts for weeks now and is steadily rising. Experts say the Delta variant is more contagious and may be associated with a higher risk of hospitalization than the original "wild type" COVID-19 strain.
(..)
The number of COVID-19 cases in Massachusetts is low right now. Massachusetts health officials reported 55 new coronavirus cases (Ed.: this number really contextualizes the 150 breakthrough cases in 1 week) and another two deaths on Tuesday as the state notched its four millionth vaccination and the number of estimated active cases fell below 2,500.

"It is important to continue to take appropriate public health action to keep that number low," the state health department spokeswoman said. "The public health recommendation encouraging testing remains in place as we continue to move through this pandemic to monitor for changes in COVID-19 activity."
(..)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pingui posted:

Yeah and it is tracked pretty poorly. This dropped like a week ago and Massachusetts is one of the only places where it gets tracked in public:

lmao at the scare quotes around "wild type"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So again in the USA no one has any idea how the viruses are spreading.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Good thing the CDC is keeping track of breakthrough cases.

Wait, poo poo.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i cant believe these chuds are doing this

Also RE: breakthroughs in massachusetts, those numbers indicate that breakthroughs are slowing down. Probably just due to way fewer cases in general with school out and nice weather, but really reinforces summer covid should be fine as long as you aren't living in a place where the whole population hangs out inside with the a/c on

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

The heavy focus on old people with comorbidities as the only people suffering from the only potential negative consequence of COVID - namely death - resulted in that.

It's still going strong. Reading DR's expert Q&A about the Delta variant was a real crack-ping. Basically they were all like, "We have vaccinated all the vulnerable and olds, but we'll probably have continuous outbreaks among children when they go back to school and Delta dominates, but that'll just strengthen people's immunity alongside the boosters, since kids don't get sick from it."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one is getting tested.

Its public health catastrophe lmao. Hahaha.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

euphronius posted:

So again in the USA no one has any idea how the viruses are spreading.

Have you considered not worrying about the spread and enjoying unlimited soup and bread sticks at your local Olive Garden?

Restaurants are back, baby!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

It's cool, there's no way this could go poorly given a virus that has exponential growth on cases that simmers for a few months before taking off.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

The important thing is, no matter how bad things get restrictions will never be put back in place lol

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

pursuant to the bloom paper, submitted a FOIA request for all SRA deletion requests

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

looks like IL was testing pretty well until this week. 40k cases average last week was higher than all last summer. wondering if part of the big drop is one of the big surveillance testers like UIUC switching off or something

we probably are undertesting, as our CFR is just as high as it was this early spring after cases fell hard and deaths hadn't, but this time there isnt a huge dropoff in cases to explain it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We've finally taken the step down the path that ends at "it was lab leak......from Fort Detrick"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wish they weren't calling it "Delta" because the word Delta triggers my roommate into ranting about Delta Airlines.