Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Really really lovin' Luca with more and more views. The gay subtext was not nearly as subtle as I thought when I first viewed - probably b/c I was too busy dadding (making popcorn, making juiced, refilling popcorn, refilling juices... over and over).

I loved Ercole's "no... but we're afraid of YOU!" So frickin' on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“My friend smells amazing!”

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I've decided that I kind of like Luca *more* for being completely allegorical with it's queer themes.

I mean, don't get me wrong I desperately want Disney to do something openly gay as much as you do but I find the way you can decode this film like it's some kind of spy letter from the cold war to be fascinating. It's drat near perfectly crafted so that normies will just see a charming but disposable summer adventure film while people familiar with gay culture will see a completely different movie hiding just below the surface and that's kind of awesome.

E: And yes, the fact that normies won't get the message is actually a good thing in this case since the movie's not trying to convert bigots but instead to tell gay kids that change is possible.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 23, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Course we saw what happened with the Matrix and "redpilling" ..

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If seeing two guys/girls share a kiss in a cartoon is enough to corrupt young minds into homosexuality, maybe heterosexuality is just that poo poo. Any other options mentioned and folks are absolutely terrified their kids will yeet right the gently caress out. They know.

They know.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Course we saw what happened with the Matrix and "redpilling" ..

That's very true but at the same time I don't think that's the fault of the films in question nor do I think Luca is a worse film because its general format is easier for assholes to appropriate in bad faith (which they might do regardless). It's worth discussion, sure, and we definitely need more films that are explicit in their queer messaging. However not ~every~ film needs to be completely explicit (deciphering allegory is fun!) and in this case I think the end result is actually more interesting for it's subtlety than a film openly about two gay fish kids having a super gay summer. Though to be fair that movie would also kick rear end for completely different reasons.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Das Boo posted:

If seeing two guys/girls share a kiss in a cartoon is enough to corrupt young minds into homosexuality, maybe heterosexuality is just that poo poo. Any other options mentioned and folks are absolutely terrified their kids will yeet right the gently caress out. They know.

They know.

Kids today are already more queer and out and accepting than ever before. Conservative parents are already terrified.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The_Doctor posted:

Kids today are already more queer and out and accepting than ever before. Conservative parents are already terrified.

I work at a bunch of schools and it’s amazing how much the pandemic specifically has done for lgbt kids. Like there has been a raising tide of out kids for years but in just one year of online school more kids in just any one of the schools came out as trans than all kids in all the schools ever before in the last 20 years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My god there's gonna be a lot of master's theses written about this past year.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1407727259650252802?s=21

:yikes:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/skullvolver/status/1407773658664345602

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

I know people who worked on this who are LBGTQ who said they loved this show AND working on it, so I'm hoping this is just a bad teaser

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Megera posted:

I know people who worked on this who are LBGTQ who said they loved this show AND working on it, so I'm hoping this is just a bad teaser

hope so. if the entire show is like that im going to LA and PERSONALLY revoking their gay cards

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

like did they not learn from the flop that was super drags im -_-

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

half the time I give poo poo a benefit of the doubt because trailers are just so. bad.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

people are responding to that tweet by recommending children's shows and i get where they're coming from but... sweeties... no...

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I work at a bunch of schools and it’s amazing how much the pandemic specifically has done for lgbt kids. Like there has been a raising tide of out kids for years but in just one year of online school more kids in just any one of the schools came out as trans than all kids in all the schools ever before in the last 20 years.
facts. Same at my school. Also kids started coming out to me before I came out to them because kids are wise.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just watched Wish Dragon. It was alright, but a lot of the voice actors felt very weak and the action felt kind of floaty and impactless in my opinion, because of weak foley work. The latter half definitely got more interesting than the first half though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1408447857514983435
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/streaming/criterion-channel-is-putting-a-huge-focus-on-animation-releasing-31-features-in-july-206449.html

Journey to the Beginning of Time (Karel Zeman, 1955)
Invention for Destruction (Karel Zeman, 1958)
The Fabulous Baron Munchausen (Karel Zeman, 1962)
Belladonna of Sadness (Eiichi Yamamoto, 1973)
János vitéz (Marcell Jankovics, 1973)
Fantastic Planet (René Laloux, 1973)
Watership Down (Martin Rosen, 1978)
Son of the White Mare (Marcell Jankovics, 1981)
Plague Dogs (Martin Rosen, 1982)
Alice (Jan Švankmajer, 1988)
Faust (Jan Švankmajer, 1994)
Mind Game (Masaaki Yuasa, 2004)
Paprika (Satoshi Kon, 2006)
Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud, 2007)
Waltz with Bashir (Ari Folman, 2008)
A Town Called Panic (Stéphane Aubier and Vincent Patar, 2009)
Mary and Max (Adam Elliot, 2009)
Chico & Rita (Tono Errando, Fernando Trueba, and Javier Mariscal, 2010)
The Rabbi’s Cat (Joann Sfar and Antoine Delesvaux, 2011)
Alois Nebel (Tomáš Luňák, 2011)
Tatsumi (Eric Khoo, 2011)
The King of Pigs (Yeon Sang-ho, 2011)
It’s Such a Beautiful Day (Don Hertzfeldt, 2012)
Consuming Spirits (Chris Sullivan, 2012)
Aya of Yop City (Marguerite Abouet and Clément Oubrerie, 2013)
Rocks in My Pockets (Signe Baumane, 2014)
The Wanted 18 (Amer Shomali and Paul Cowan, 2014)
The Girl Without Hands (Sébastien Laudenbach, 2016)
Tower (Keith Maitland, 2016)
The Wolf House (Cristóbal León and Joaquín Cociña, 2018)
No. 7 Cherry Lane (Yonfan, 2019)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

drat, that's an insanely stacked line-up.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvmgEbyOV50
Disney's Totally Minnie (1988)

This deserves to be seen. I stumbled upon this the other day, and it is further proof that the late 80s is some kind of cultural renaissance. And a place of madness.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

wow, I remember seeing this (and Mother Goose Rock'n'Roll) on the Disney Channel waaay then.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mind Game, Paprika, and Persepolis are great, from that Criterion list.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i watched son of the white mare after someone posted about it here and loved it! really wanna check out more of jankovics work now, thanks criterion

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The comic book adaptation of the new Space Jam movie is out and from what I’ve heard it’s pretty bland and forgettable. Much like the last one it seems the movie will be wholly dependent on fanservice in order to salvage it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Space jam is bad and any nostalgia for it is nostalgia of how cool “space jam” the idea was and not for the movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Space jam is bad and any nostalgia for it is nostalgia of how cool “space jam” the idea was and not for the movie.
Or nostalgic for going to a movie with your friends and having fun when you were nine or however old.

Also dope rear end yet horribly tainted soundtrack.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the first movie was more an ad for Jordon’s return to the NBA (notice how little focus the actual Looney Tunes get?), production was apparently a nightmare and Michael Jordon cannot act to save his life. The only novelty I can see is that it’s technically the first major Looney Tunes movie ever made to my knowledge (and even then Back in Action was way better)

Good soundtrack though. Out of curiosity, how exactly is it “tainted”?

The best thing I can say about the new one so far is that LeBron actually has a bit of acting talent/experience and Daffy is probably the most spot on out of all of them both in terms of looks and voice.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 1, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larryb posted:

Good soundtrack though. Out of curiosity, how exactly is it “tainted”?
R Kelley believed he could lock up women in addition to possessing the power of flight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

R Kelley believed he could lock up women in addition to possessing the power of flight.

Ah, point taken. I knew nothing about the man except that he did some music for the movie.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The animation in space jam is actually very nice and free. I wish everything looked like it.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
ants

perepelki fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 10, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

it has become apparent to me that people don't "get" that one scene in heavy traffic with ida and the family photos

they're all dead. that is what that's all about. her whole family is dead, everybody they knew is dead, the entire community is dead.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

ralph i love you

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

all his films have that post-apocalyptic energy because he is a legitimately post-apocalyptic artist. they're all post-apocalyptic. all of them. even fritz the cat. even cool world. especially cool world

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
My son’s new movie obsession is Raya. Send help. This movie was not very good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I do feel like specifically for Luca the bar is kind of high since as the pre-release conversations went, there is only so much you can tell in a story about children. But I feel like if Luca was a girl there would be no question that the romantic cliche of running along the train tracks to say goodbye while the shot lingers on them holding hands is meant to be read as romantic. It's not gay in the way that The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, or Aladdin can be read as having queer subtexts to them while focusing on literal cis/straight relationships. It is literally a movie about two boys who have a crush on each other whereas the broader metaphors and themes of passing or being an outsider I'd say even transcend querness.

I think it's just frustrating in the broader context that we very rarely get an overt queer relationship as the center of the film, often having to settle for coding. So even if Luca makes sense for what it is, it still feels frustrating.

Lol maybe bc I'm foreign born I didnt even get there was a gay subtext to it. I see it now, but goes to show that alot of ppl aren't gonna see it either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmW6gyWd0-8

This happened. It's...it's a choice. I guess.

But...

I'm more excited for THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDC_ze4IQXQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is also a thing:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=khzCrHalirE