Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ultrafilter posted:

It certainly doesn't seem like anyone in the Order of the Scribble liked anyone else except for Dorukan and Lirian.

Serini seemed to like them all well enough.

Besides, so far their strife is the only thing that's really been plot relevant. When we learn more about them, we'll probably see happier times, just to twist the knife on their eventual falling out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Are we sure about that? Her journal says so, of course, but she clearly didn't put everything in the journal or else Xykon would've figured out the trick to Kraagor's Gate by now.

Thus far Actual Serini has been pragmatic almost to a fault and clearly revels in lying to people for her own ends.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The ending for OOtS and how they defeat the snarl just leaked.

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersFun/status/1408379443060477961?s=20

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ultrafilter posted:

It certainly doesn't seem like anyone in the Order of the Scribble liked anyone else except for Dorukan and Lirian.

In this strip, Sereni says she's considering taking a level of paladin, and Girard says "will we have to implant the stick up your rear end or will it grow there?" That was said before they discovered the Snarl, so we know the Order was not a happy party to begin with.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It's safe to assume that anything Serini wrote in her journal shouldn't be taken at face value.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are we sure about that? Her journal says so, of course, but she clearly didn't put everything in the journal or else Xykon would've figured out the trick to Kraagor's Gate by now.

Thus far Actual Serini has been pragmatic almost to a fault and clearly revels in lying to people for her own ends.

Serini more or less admits to lying to Soon quite often when she remarks to O'Chul that lying to a paladin hasn't gotten any harder.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Whose idea was it to not check up on the other Gates and only look after their own? Given how much info Serini's indicated she had about how Soon's Gate was destroyed, it's probably safe to assume she's also been actively monitoring the other Gates as well.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

Whose idea was it to not check up on the other Gates and only look after their own? Given how much info Serini's indicated she had about how Soon's Gate was destroyed, it's probably safe to assume she's also been actively monitoring the other Gates as well.

iirc it was Serini's idea and her compromise, but I believe it was to not interfere in the protection of the other Gates, not ignore their status entirely.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And then Soon apparently interpreted that non-interference agreement to mean that the Sapphire Guard couldn’t even so much as look into the magic surveillance cameras from time to time?

Though with Girard, at least, it wouldn’t be surprising if he just went AWOL from everyone else (except Serini) immediately after they parted ways, and sequestered himself after giving the fake coordinates to his gate.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Regalingualius posted:

And then Soon apparently interpreted that non-interference agreement to mean that the Sapphire Guard couldn’t even so much as look into the magic surveillance cameras from time to time?

From what we saw in Girard's pyramid, presumably each member of their group had that little board thing with the glowing bits that represented whether the Gates were still intact or destroyed, and that's it. So when the Order blew up Dorukon's dungeon and the Gate along with it, they knew that the Gate was destroyed, but not how or why. And we know from a flashback when Shojo told Roy and the others about when Lirian's Gate was destroyed, he'd sent some of his Paladins to investigate, but sadly, they lacked the relevant Skill ranks to learn anything relevant about its destruction.

So going off that, what we can surmise is that as long as the Gate is showing up as "Active" on the board thingie, it's entirely off-limits as far as their pact was concerned; as soon as the light winks out indicating that it's been destroyed, it's fair game to investigate and try to figure out what happened.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
if Serini is so confident that nobody can stop Xykon without blowing up the gate - why not just point Xykon at the gate right now and just delay the paladins and the Order in some trap or prison until Xykon has secured the gate...? No need for a confrontation that would introduce yet more risks.

is the amnesia potion just a red herring? if it's not a bluff, why not dose the paladins she already has right now?

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 26, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gynovore posted:

In this strip, Sereni says she's considering taking a level of paladin, and Girard says "will we have to implant the stick up your rear end or will it grow there?" That was said before they discovered the Snarl, so we know the Order was not a happy party to begin with.

lts also been a century+ of time since the party disbanded. People change. Soon may have been the impulsive Lawful Stupid type and mellowed out and gained some wisdom after generations as a guardian spirit. Serini may have started out bright eyed and optimistic but the permanent soul death of her friend and her time since would have jaded her.

We havent seen what dorukan and girard were like in the present so I cant say for sure but I think its safe to say that they had chatacter growth as part of their quest and since.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 26, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alternatively, the crucial difference between the Order of the Stick and the Order of the Scribble is that the Sticks have slowly learned to trust each other and accept their differences and faults. Meanwhile the Scribbles instead let them fester and grow more and more resentful. It’d play into the comic’s themes nicely.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

girl dick energy posted:

Alternatively, the crucial difference between the Order of the Stick and the Order of the Scribble is that the Sticks have slowly learned to trust each other and accept their differences and faults. Meanwhile the Scribbles instead let them fester and grow more and more resentful. It’d play into the comic’s themes nicely.

Yeah. I mean yes people change, but if that's all happened off screen then it doesn't exist, it would be character development deus ex machina. Barring a big flashback I guess.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seirini's diary implies she was once the sort of carefree soul who would put hearts around a drawing of the person she fancied (Girard), though that was a long time ago and having half your body destroyed by a lich is the sort of thing that changes someone.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Rigged Death Trap posted:

lts also been a century+ of time since the party disbanded. People change. Soon may have been the impulsive Lawful Stupid type and mellowed out and gained some wisdom after generations as a guardian spirit. Serini may have started out bright eyed and optimistic but the permanent soul death of her friend and her time since would have jaded her.

We havent seen what dorukan and girard were like in the present so I cant say for sure but I think its safe to say that they had chatacter growth as part of their quest and since.

Pretty sure it's been explicitly said that the events of the Order of the Scribble was just 60 years ago.

Which I've complained about that timeline before.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

60 years? thats an awfully small amount of time for a fantasy story.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I mean, the planet itself is only a few hundred years old.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

sirtommygunn posted:

I mean, the planet itself is only a few hundred years old.

I want to say that it was said that this world is a few thousand, but I don't have time right now to go track down the strip

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah I just checked and you're right, it's a little over a thousand years old >= 2000 years old if the wiki is accurate, and Thor mentions that the rifts open up in a few thousand years normally.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 26, 2021

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah I just checked and you're right, it's a little over a thousand years old >= 2000 years old if the wiki is accurate, and Thor mentions that the rifts open up in a few thousand years normally.

...then how do you explain the dinosaurs???? Checkmate!!!!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Pretty sure it's been explicitly said that the events of the Order of the Scribble was just 60 years ago.

Which I've complained about that timeline before.

That's kind of interesting, the strips did say that Ronjo, Shojo's dad, was direct successor to Soon. But only 60 years meant that the Soon and Ronjo really got their move on. Soon formed his Sapphire Guard and went on a crusade and then died in under 13 years and the entire castle was built pretty quickly too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WarpedLichen posted:

That's kind of interesting, the strips did say that Ronjo, Shojo's dad, was direct successor to Soon. But only 60 years meant that the Soon and Ronjo really got their move on. Soon formed his Sapphire Guard and went on a crusade and then died in under 13 years and the entire castle was built pretty quickly too.

Soon was already in late middle age during the Scribble years so that part tracks at least

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

WarpedLichen posted:

And Shojo was shown as a very small child meeting Soon.

I guess Human life spans are shorter in this universe so that Shojo, being mid 60's , is considered " an elderly senile man".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gynovore posted:

...then how do you explain the dinosaurs????

Clearly, they came from another dimension.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

And Shojo was shown as a very small child meeting Soon.

I guess Human life spans are shorter in this universe so that Shojo, being mid 60's , is considered " an elderly senile man".

I think Shojo just looks and acts a bit older than he actually is. At one point I think a member of the OotS refers to him as an "octogenarian" in passing.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Y'know maybe its just because I've been playing waaaaaaay too much Kingmaker recently but I can't help but wonder if Pathfinder cribbed a few details from OotS for its own backstory.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Silver2195 posted:

I think Shojo just looks and acts a bit older than he actually is. At one point I think a member of the OotS refers to him as an "octogenarian" in passing.

That's Roy talking to Miko. "You hadn't bisected any unarmed octogenarians lately".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Gynovore posted:

Just because the world is only a thousand years old, doesn't mean it can't have billions of years of past.

It feels so creepy to sincerely invoke the omphalos hypothesis.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

and the entire castle was built pretty quickly too.

A wizard did it.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

fool of sound posted:

Yeah the read I ended up with was "Girard hates Soon because Soon rightfully calls him out on his bullshit and makes up a bunch of reasons why everyone else should too"

Well, Girard really believed in the paladin lifestyle and Girard kinda seems like he had "Haley's dad" levels of paranoia and distrust toward people in general, so I imagine they got along just swimmingly while traveling together.

I agree with the read that the Scribblers really just didn't have character development to move past their flaws like the Order of the Stick did. The argument that led to them splitting up started with several of them insisting that their values and powers were the best for doing something important, and a lot of the OOTS's development has involved moving past that self-centeredness.

The best example so far is Dorukan: he insisted that only epic magic could defend the gates, and Soon accused him of caring more about researching new spells than protecting the gates. That holds a lot of resemblance to the arc Vaarsuvius went through after the fall of Azure City. He placed a lot of faith in the power of his magic, and when he was faced with his limits and failed at a few things, he became so obsessive about improving his magic that he neglected and eventually abandoned his party and their quest to save the world - something that Soon seemed to think was the kind of thing Dorukan might very well do. V faced a nasty comeuppance and was able to move past that, placing more faith on being a team player and not just relying on magic for everything, but perhaps Dorukan never did.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Y'know maybe its just because I've been playing waaaaaaay too much Kingmaker recently but I can't help but wonder if Pathfinder cribbed a few details from OotS for its own backstory.

Speaking of Kingmaker, someone there seems to be an OotS fan. You can get explanitory text during the game by hovering over naems and references to people or events and such, and if you mouse over "him" in this storybook segment you get this little bit of text.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Speaking of Kingmaker, someone there seems to be an OotS fan. You can get explanitory text during the game by hovering over naems and references to people or events and such, and if you mouse over "him" in this storybook segment you get this little bit of text.

Ha! Makes sense that anyone with a fondness for 3.5 knows about OOTS.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Gynovore posted:

You mean the completely modern, living animals used as mounts in the desert empire?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It would not at all surprise me if Pathfinder cribbed a few things from OotS, one of the nations in the setting is outright a blatant ripoff of ASoIaF and the Targaryens.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sky Shadowing posted:

It would not at all surprise me if Pathfinder cribbed a few things from OotS, one of the nations in the setting is outright a blatant ripoff of ASoIaF and the Targaryens.

Lord knows, if you asked me to make a fantasy world as a basis for a bunch of people to create campaigns, I’d make a giant GRRM area on the assumption that it’s what people would want to play in anyways

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Pathfinder also has a large area that is literally just “Thundarr the Barbarian basically”. Barbarians with laser swords and technomancers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pathfinder also has a large area that is literally just “Thundarr the Barbarian basically”. Barbarians with laser swords and technomancers.

Also a sci-fi hyper advanced android star ship that crash landed thousands of years ago and has Human-like robots just occasionally wake up out of.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
They called the “permanently the french revolution” country Galt, that’s the quality of setting you get in pathfinder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm down.