Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

italian quid posted:

I'm pretty sure Apple isn't in a rush to keep rolling out higher end chips given how good the M1 is. I really think that ultimately there's probably a lot of niche or bespoke programs used by companies out there that maybe don't work perfectly through Rosetta or need more time to be ported over and looks better for Apple for a company's IT department to say "Only the higher end Macs are Intel so we need to pay more to continue using these critical programs" as opposed to "Apple's line up has completely discontinued Intel and we're screwed if anyone needs a replacement laptop". It's easier for Apple to just keep selling M1 laptops to consumers and gently ease companies into the idea that they need to start looking at transitioning software once someone's MBA breaks and suddenly the only replacement option on Intel is a 16 inch MBP

in a rush, no, but their mobile chips have been comfortably ahead for a while now and it hasn't really stopped them from continuing to iterate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the m1 is the entry level soc on the entry level laptops and an imac, why does it need to beat an alder lake i7?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

the m1 is the entry level soc on the entry level laptops and an imac, why does it need to beat an alder lake i7?

because people need to keep score in order to fuel more armchair analysis

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

Also

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

lol my brand new $2k pc is basically a pos lmao

MPCPOS

YPCPOS

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
But muh games

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Honj Steak posted:

Does anybody use Final Cut + FilmConvert on an M1? Does it still work fast enough? I'm struggling to find any performance reports for that (fairly common) plugin.

Since I’m now shitposting through the Awful App on an M1 MacBook Air :v: - To answer my own question: It works well, but you have to use the beta version for it to work at all.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I feel dumb. I decided to set up a second monitor I had lying around, only to understand that when the M1 says it only supports one external monitor, it means it. I thought I could run two as long as I was in clamshell mode. gently caress.

How well does the DisplayLink solution work? On Googling it seems like there are a lot of complaints about bad drivers, no GPU acceleration, low refresh rates, etc. Or is there another workaround?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I feel dumb. I decided to set up a second monitor I had lying around, only to understand that when the M1 says it only supports one external monitor, it means it. I thought I could run two as long as I was in clamshell mode. gently caress.

How well does the DisplayLink solution work? On Googling it seems like there are a lot of complaints about bad drivers, no GPU acceleration, low refresh rates, etc. Or is there another workaround?

there is no work around. imo displaylink stuff is absolutely fine for like spreadsheets, coding/typing, and status screens or or other mostly static work.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Maybe this is me being dumb again, but from a hardware perspective, if the M1 can support two total displays, then why can't it support two external displays while the internal screen is off?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is the consensus that the new 14 and 16 MBPs will be more high end, and thus quite expensive? I bet they will look and be great but I don’t want to wait for months for something I will decide is too expensive when they arrive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Presumably because if it's still operating with the laptop closed, the screen is still getting a signal sent to it even if it's off.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

displaylink is garbage imo. it works okay 95% of the time if you can tolerate some display lag but the 5% of the time it's misbehaving is incredibly frustrating. it's also expensive to buy the necessary adapters

Maybe this is me being dumb again, but from a hardware perspective, if the M1 can support two total displays, then why can't it support two external displays while the internal screen is off?

apple didn't run the internal display controller through the external i/o controller. probably to save costs, but who knows?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Based on the discussion around release, I think it’s actually about the hardware of the thunderbolt ports in the M1. Like they only have one route to the gpu or whatever the term is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

there is no work around. imo displaylink stuff is absolutely fine for like spreadsheets, coding/typing, and status screens or or other mostly static work.
Is that still the case? Like all the M1 videos with it seem totally fine for whatever use nowadays with the newer stuff.

Random driver issues and crap I'd still worry about though...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looking at the troubleshooting pages on the DisplayLink site is enough for me to not spend a lot personally on a DisplayLink dock, and I also wouldn't want to be responsible for deploying it at scale and having to support it, things like:

https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/830301-content-protected-video-does-not-play-on-mac-while

https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1963276-clamshell-and-rotation-support-on-macos-big-sur-11

https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1950940-macos-big-sur-11-screen-recording-permission

As mentioned, for general office use it's likely fine and any performance issues won't matter. It's fairly clear that while Apple aren't actively hostile to DisplayLink they also don't care about breaking it with OS updates and don't seem to be interested in working with the DisplayLink team to improve the Mac experience.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

They could also just render DisplayLink unnecessary by shipping a laptop that supports more than one external display in the year of our lord 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if anyone is really masochistic you can try this piece of poo poo: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/811452-REG/Matrox_T2G_DP_MIF_TripleHead2Go_DP_Edition_External.html

few contraptions have ever pissed me off more than these boxes

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They could also just render DisplayLink unnecessary by shipping a laptop that supports more than one external display in the year of our lord 2021

I'm sure they could get MST working in an afternoon

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

if anyone is really masochistic you can try this piece of poo poo: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/811452-REG/Matrox_T2G_DP_MIF_TripleHead2Go_DP_Edition_External.html

few contraptions have ever pissed me off more than these boxes
Stuff like this intrigues me but I'd rather save the money for when the M2 Air comes out and I can just buy that, because I'm assuming that it will support multiple displays. Assuming!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm sure they could get MST working in an afternoon
Hey man it's only been thousands of afternoons since they got MST for single big screens going, don't rush them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eugh, I broke the enter key on my 2018 trying to clean something out from under it. Just snapped the clips off on one side. Replaced it with another I bought online but I had to replace the whole scissor mechanism and dome top. I actually didn't NEED to replace the dome switch but for whatever reason the scissor mechanism just didn't want to slide into the OEM one, so I did.

Went well enough but it still feels "off". I kind of have to put emphasis on pressing the enter key for it to register. Probably just misaligned or something, even if the pegs fell into place. I should have taken it to Apple or a proper repair place but I think ultimately I'll retire this one to spare desk duty where I have an external keyboard anyway, and just buy whatever new M1 hits the streets this fall.

I wonder if I subconsciously wanted to destroy this one to finally get a laptop with a better keyboard. It didn't bother me too much until work assigned me an M1 MBP and now going from that to this 2018 is so lovely, even before I donked up the enter key.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xabi posted:

Is the consensus that the new 14 and 16 MBPs will be more high end, and thus quite expensive? I bet they will look and be great but I don’t want to wait for months for something I will decide is too expensive when they arrive.

It will probably cost in line with the current models

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Martytoof posted:

Eugh, I broke the enter key on my 2018 trying to clean something out from under it. Just snapped the clips off on one side. Replaced it with another I bought online but I had to replace the whole scissor mechanism and dome top. I actually didn't NEED to replace the dome switch but for whatever reason the scissor mechanism just didn't want to slide into the OEM one, so I did.

Went well enough but it still feels "off". I kind of have to put emphasis on pressing the enter key for it to register. Probably just misaligned or something, even if the pegs fell into place. I should have taken it to Apple or a proper repair place but I think ultimately I'll retire this one to spare desk duty where I have an external keyboard anyway, and just buy whatever new M1 hits the streets this fall.

I wonder if I subconsciously wanted to destroy this one to finally get a laptop with a better keyboard. It didn't bother me too much until work assigned me an M1 MBP and now going from that to this 2018 is so lovely, even before I donked up the enter key.

That laptop probably qualifies for the keyboard replacement program, take it to the Fruit Stand and say one or two of your keys either repeats or ignores keystrokes and they'll swap it out..

They even cover 2019 models.. it kills me that they literally started the program as the 2019 rMBPs came to the stores, like they knew they were selling laptops with bad keyboards from the get-go.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

The 14" model will replace the 13" 4-port Intel MBP that Apple still sells, the new 16" replaces the 16" Intel MBP Apple still sells. It's assumed prices will be the same or even lower if the M1 trend is the same (MBP, Air at same price, Mini was $100 less)

coke
Jul 12, 2009

yeah it's really common to have someone using an ipad pro m1 with 2 extra external monitors attached

lol at the people not doing their research before spending almost 1k on their toys
it's like those people who buys 256gb m1 mac air then :qq: about crapple tax/owning them again because they can't upgrade the internal storage with nvme

actually technically they can upgrade the internal storage on soldered machines, they just need to desolder the chip and reflash the controller with appropriate firmware
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxPO_O3gCIA

you can probably get dual display out on the macbook air m1 too if you desolder and swap the controller from m1 mac mini while sacrificing the existing internal display too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

:rolleyes:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Xabi posted:

My money's on them being more expensive than Intels because they plan to introduce Mini-LED tech to the displays, it's fairly new tech and Apple's having some issues getting enough supply for their September rollout.

Oh yeah, according to this report Apple's gonna roll out the 14 and 16 inchers in September.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
How would you rate the M1 13" air for writing and browsing?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A++

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

to be fair a chromebook also get an A++ for these advanced and resource intensive tasks

edit: finaldraft doesnt run on a chromebook so nevermind. USELESS

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
idk if this is the right place for iphone questions but what's a good low profile case/protection? I'm seeing ads on fb for stuff that seems kickstarter scam tier so I wanted to see if there was something that was innovative but not snake oil since I haven't followed the case scene (iphone 12 pro max)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

idk if this is the right place for iphone questions but what's a good low profile case/protection? I'm seeing ads on fb for stuff that seems kickstarter scam tier so I wanted to see if there was something that was innovative but not snake oil since I haven't followed the case scene (iphone 12 pro max)

There’s actually an iPhone thread for this sort of thing, but I have the Spigen Ultra Hybrid in “Crystal Clear” on my 12 Pro and I really like it. It really works nicely with the blue phone.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

limaCAT posted:

How would you rate the M1 13" air for writing and browsing?

If you’ve budgeted ~$1,000 for a laptop and its limitations work for you, I don’t think there’s anything better

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
It also games surprisingly well

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

It also games surprisingly well

It really does.

Also the standby battery life is insane.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
What games are ya’ll playing on your M1’s? What I really wanna do when I upgrade is put a PS1 and PS2 emulator on it and play some of my favorites.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

What games are ya’ll playing on your M1’s? What I really wanna do when I upgrade is put a PS1 and PS2 emulator on it and play some of my favorites.

Honestly I’ve thrown Lots of stuff at it with no issues. I’m playing FF14 and it plays great as well.

I’m not sure if the ps2 emulation is that great yet but the GameCube stuff is on point as they have an arm version that kicks rear end.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Butt Savage posted:

Factorio runs beautifully on the 7 core GPU Air, for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Butt Savage posted:

Disco Elysium is running nicely