Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think VMware is going gangbusters on companies who are cloud adverse. I swear, I think we have every VMware product known it man. We're super excited about Tanzu for some reason. We don't even use containers in prod yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

I mean, I don't know about forcing, but you can set registry keys to both hide and block local drives from Explorer. You can still access via command line or something like \\localhost\c$, but I guess that depends on how technical your users are.

[edit: I guess that also depends on your definition of files? Or he wants it to be that all user files are ONLY in OneDrive and don't get cached at all locally? I guess if you wanted to restrict everything and make them use the web interface or something, and then clear cache on logout? Devil is in the details, as always.]

My point was that there isn't a reasonable way to do this. My CISO think that its a small thing to require people to save everything to one drive. Just a total misunderstanding of the how technology works.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But I think you could do what I said? Use OneDrive with Known Folder Move and then the Explorer policies I mentioned. Yes, users can get around it, so it depends on your requirements, but it will guide the vast, vast majority of users to the right place.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Sprechensiesexy posted:

What was the goon hivemind approved software for password storage again? We don't have any and I would like to make some suggestions to change that. Money is not an objection since we are a relatively small team.

Bitwarden?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
HashiCorp Vault is free and has a key:value secrets database. You don't get a nice app though. Have to go through the webUI or use the API.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Redirect Desktop and My Documents to OneDrive and you've captured like 95% of what people are doing.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

I think VMware is going gangbusters on companies who are cloud adverse. I swear, I think we have every VMware product known it man. We're super excited about Tanzu for some reason. We don't even use containers in prod yet.

loving barf, the crap side of my company that does ‘private cloud’ won’t shut up about this poo poo and vRealize but as far as I can tell it’s all trash

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

i am a moron posted:

loving barf, the crap side of my company that does ‘private cloud’ won’t shut up about this poo poo and vRealize but as far as I can tell it’s all trash

Yeah. It's all trash. I'm trying to work myself up to tell them that doing things the hard way does not make them "real engineers."

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We use lastpass for user credential storage and hashicorp vault for infrastructure secrets

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Sprechensiesexy posted:

What was the goon hivemind approved software for password storage again? We don't have any and I would like to make some suggestions to change that. Money is not an objection since we are a relatively small team.

It's going to depend on your specific requirements.

If you're just talking about sharing secrets, I like 1Password, I don't like LastPass, and something like BitWarden or KeePass will probably be functional.

If you want to expand the scope and talk about secret management and auditing, I can say that Thycotic Secret Server is good and relatively affordable. It will let you do some pretty comprehensive auditing/reporting, as well as rotating service account passwords. There's also CyberArk, which I have less experience with. I know 1Password is moving into that space as well, but they're still in relatively early beta.

I know you can implement Thycotic and CyberArk on-premises or in the cloud. I think 1Password can still do Local Vaults, but I haven't looked too closely at that recently.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

HashiCorp Vault is free and has a key:value secrets database. You don't get a nice app though. Have to go through the webUI or use the API.

Vault is fun because you can use a Shamir seal to break the master key into multiple shards that can be buried in hidden caches around the globe.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Vault is fun because you can use a Shamir seal to break the master key into multiple shards that can be buried in hidden caches around the globe.

Speaking of this... What do people actually do with their unseal keys? I know the recommendation is to split them up physically, but what did you/would you do practically? The best I could come up with is splitting the keys between managers/oncall escalations and putting it on their OneDrive that doesn't depend on our on-prem infrastructure.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Speaking of this... What do people actually do with their unseal keys? I know the recommendation is to split them up physically, but what did you/would you do practically? The best I could come up with is splitting the keys between managers/oncall escalations and putting it on their OneDrive that doesn't depend on our on-prem infrastructure.

If I recall, the main point is that you can make sealed backups and store them wherever, and in the case of a catastrophe, you can unseal a backup with the cooperation of multiple remote sites or persons.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

But I think you could do what I said? Use OneDrive with Known Folder Move and then the Explorer policies I mentioned. Yes, users can get around it, so it depends on your requirements, but it will guide the vast, vast majority of users to the right place.

The explorer policy you mention is no small feat. This means cleaning up items in pinned access, messing with desktop folder stuff, its a total mess.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've done it almost everywhere I've been.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I don’t know how good their enterprise/multiuser support is but I migrated from LP to Bitwarden. The transition was smooth, it has good support on PC and IOS, and generally doesn’t get in my way or piss me off. I pay for subscription and I feel it’s worth it

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wizard of the Deep posted:

"Why are all these attractive young women from up and down the east coast who just graduated college and that I definitely don't know showing up in my LinkedIn feed?"
"Oh, it's because one creepy former coworker is liking and congratulating them. Thanks for reminding me he's a creep, LinkedIn."

Can I tell my LinkedIn creep story?

I used to work with this degenerate (he was eventually fired for going though clients desks and stealing money) but he used to come back from lunch and talk about all the hot women he was getting lunch with. He was married, and it was really in-appropriate how he was talking. I would shut him down since I didn't think it was appropriate work discussion.

I found out later that he was just finding attractive recruiters on linkedin, and getting them to buy him lunch to recruit him, but he'd brag to us all that was lunch dates. He was a huge jack rear end.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e: I'll make this post in Corporate America megathread instead since it's more widely applicable than IT.

Inner Light posted:

Apple and Chase Bank in the news for pushing back against WFH.

Apple to require 3 days per week in the office for most employees, Chase is pushing to require 5 days a week, no remote.

These huge megacorp pushbacks have me thinking that WFH won't be as widely embraced moving forward as I had hoped, unfortunately. It's probably emblematic of the decisions we'll see most companies making soon. That's my hot take, at least.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I found out later that he was just finding attractive recruiters on linkedin, and getting them to buy him lunch to recruit him, but he'd brag to us all that was lunch dates. He was a huge jack rear end.

lmao, for sure. Ngl I may have taken a recruiter lunch or two in the past because they were attractive but I’m also happily married with 3 kids and not gonna gently caress that up.

Nowadays you couldn’t get me to a recruiter lunch period, gently caress that noise. I have better things to do with my lunch hour.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Never ever been on a recruiter lunch. Not too many in this city apparently

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Man, woman, I don’t care pay for my coffee or lunch and once you whip that Corp card out I’m telling you to gently caress off thanks for the free poo poo tho

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I went 7 months at the new job not needing domain admin, that changed today and I’m sad

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

George H.W. oval office posted:

Redirect Desktop and My Documents to OneDrive and you've captured like 95% of what people are doing.

Onedrive already does this natively if you just activate backup in it!

somehow the users will still end up saving directly to the c: drive

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a good AD audit tool for an enterprise environment of like 20000+ users? The pre-existing got axed and I do not really want to write a bunch of custom scripts. Does not need to be free.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Whats a good device management solution. Ideally windows and mac but def windows, environment about 125 unmanaged pcs. Need remote access and package management. I saw JAMF Pro for apple and looking into smart deploy for PC. Microsoft/GSuite shop, with Gsuite as primary login.

Also re WFH, I'm one of the wierdos who likes the office and the hiring manager said that was a huge reason I got the gig.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 1, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What's a good AD audit tool for an enterprise environment of like 20000+ users? The pre-existing got axed and I do not really want to write a bunch of custom scripts. Does not need to be free.

What do you need to audit?

Quest Change Auditor is one of the best tools I've used, but their business practices since being bought by private equity loving suck so bad I can't recommend someone go with them. It's a shame though, the software is good. They destroyed the relationship at my last company, and my new org got rid of them last year as well.

Manage Engine AD Audit is a budget option. I haven't used it in a long time, but their main selling point was 90% functionality of the big players, at 10% of the cost. I will say I used some of their products a long time ago, and the support was good, and they were fast to implement additional features. This was 10+ years ago though, so no idea if this has changed.

There's some other options out there that might work depending on what you need to do. Netwrix comes to mind. Lepide has a solution. Stealthbits Stealth Intercept is another option, but honestly I'm not impressed with it at all. I can't tell if it's our install of it, or if the software just isn't that good. Stealthbits also just merged with Netwrix so not sure whats going to happen with their solutions.

Cygna labs is something I haven't looked at before, and looks promising. It might not be written on 20+ year old code, claims to be next gen, but who knows.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Quest Change Auditor is one of the best tools I've used, but their business practices since being bought by private equity loving suck so bad I can't recommend someone go with them. It's a shame though, the software is good. They destroyed the relationship at my last company, and my new org got rid of them last year as well.

Manage Engine AD Audit is a budget option. I haven't used it in a long time, but their main selling point was 90% functionality of the big players, at 10% of the cost. I will say I used some of their products a long time ago, and the support was good, and they were fast to implement additional features. This was 10+ years ago though, so no idea if this has changed.

There's some other options out there that might work depending on what you need to do. Netwrix comes to mind. Lepide has a solution. Stealthbits Stealth Intercept is another option, but honestly I'm not impressed with it at all. I can't tell if it's our install of it, or if the software just isn't that good. Stealthbits also just merged with Netwrix so not sure whats going to happen with their solutions.

Cygna labs is something I haven't looked at before, and looks promising. It might not be written on 20+ year old code, claims to be next gen, but who knows.

Mostly IAM. Company is newly public and gotta dot some i's that have not been. Very broad right now.

Shame about quest.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mostly IAM. Company is newly public and gotta dot some i's that have not been. Very broad right now.

Shame about quest.

The product is still good, but we were audited 4 different times in less than 36 months at my last job. That's with us spending more than 500K in new licenses and pro services with them last year, and another 100K in maintenance renewals.

I straight up told my sales rep they were going to lose our business because of all the audit nonsense, but it was coming down from on high. You can google Quest Software Lawsuits and see the crap they've been pulling.

edit: Another option is to just ship all your AD logs off to a SIEM of some sort. I stopped using Change Auditor on a regular basis at my last job because it was faster to just find the event in LogRhythm. CA was still good for running reports, but for one offs, LR was faster and easier to use if you knew exactly what you were looking for. Just depends on what you need it to do.

If I needed something stood up quickly, and relatively inexpensively I'd probably go back to Manage Engine AD Audit Plus. It's priced per DC, not enabled user account, so if you're environment isn't huge the savings could be significant.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 1, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Delete AD

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

Varonis can also do this kind of AD auditing, but I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone using it *just* for AD so it might be overkill in this case.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You could technically buy just the ad license, but it is such a heavy application and soooo expensive that I wouldn’t recommend it

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
lol

quote:

Financial services giant Intuit this week informed 1.4 million small businesses using its QuickBooks Online Payroll and Intuit Online Payroll products that their payroll information will be shared with big-three consumer credit bureau Equifax starting later this year unless customers opt out by the end of this month.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As someone that works for Intuit’s competition :
Double lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

What orgs out there provision a 2nd azure ad tenant just for your privledged user accounts? If so, who started this trend so I know who to dissolve in acid.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Sickening posted:

What orgs out there provision a 2nd azure ad tenant just for your privledged user accounts? If so, who started this trend so I know who to dissolve in acid.

LOL sorry bud. How the hell does that even work?

Sounds like something infosec dreamt up while trying to justify their existence.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

That is bar none the stupidest poo poo Ive ever heard and as a serial azure consultant Ive never even heard that suggested let alone implemented.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

That's an interesting way to imitate a bastion... or perhaps take it to the extreme?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

It’s not a bastion though, it’s just a bunch of cloud only accounts that are functionally no different except you now have to manage governance and settings and poo poo in two places. Like you gain nothing except a bigger attack surface

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

i am a moron posted:

It’s not a bastion though, it’s just a bunch of cloud only accounts that are functionally no different except you now have to manage governance and settings and poo poo in two places. Like you gain nothing except a bigger attack surface

Ding ding ding. You duplicate your costs as you want to monitor your privledged accounts just as much more than your non-privledged accounts. You double your administrative efforts. You make your environment more complex.

I can't see how this has a single benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sickening posted:

I'm sorry but what the gently caress? How is this even supposed to work and what problem is this meant to achieve other than "too much budget, must spend money"?