Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I don't want to just insult Read Dead 2 and say vitriolic things because some people love that game and its clearly a technical masterpiece but its the kind of game that whenever I sat down to play it within 20 minutes my mind would wander to a more fun videogame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Caesar Saladin posted:

I love all video games, even the ones i hate

Bring me your sonics, your clickers, your calls of duty identical to last year's.

Bring these to my steam library. I'll buy them all and never install any.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

i love RDR2, its a chill game

I love all video games, even the ones i hate

I love to hate TLOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't want to just insult Read Dead 2 and say vitriolic things because some people love that game and its clearly a technical masterpiece but its the kind of game that whenever I sat down to play it within 20 minutes my mind would wander to a more fun videogame

The greet, greet, antagonize, shoot the school marm in the neck and throw an ax into a horse's eye is great fun for me. I go to other open world games and now they feel robotic and stiff because I can't hassle the NPCs to such a degree that brings me joy. It's so West World in that it lets me just be an unhinged psychopath without consequences. It's really cathartic. I've finally put it down after like 3 years of playing it non stop. Tried to play Ghosts of Sushi and it sucks dick. You can't behead farmers, you can't do poo poo.

I'm currently playing Wonder Project J2 for N64. It was a christmas present. I feel like I have to force myself to play videogames these days.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You can't commit a tsujigiri in Ghost of Tushima? Immersion broken :mad:

Edit: Wait, no. Apparently the game takes place before the practice was a thing.

itry fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 1, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Honestly the act of loving around and killing random people in open world games lost its allure to me when i was like 17.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i started replaying hollow knight yesterday.

the first time i got into HK, i put it down like a couple hours into it because I was trying to do some platforming thing, and every time i died, i had to start like halfway across the map, which got old real fast. i really want to like HK, but i feel like the tedium is going to get to me again. idk hopefully it clicks this time.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Honestly the act of loving around and killing random people in open world games lost its allure to me when i was like 17.

same

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i spent hours driving around the city in gta3 and had a great time but every open world game since has been less fun

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Caesar Saladin posted:

It feels different when you can apologize to them.

Edit: Same w/r/t hollow knight. Just didn't click. I think it is overhyped. But I loved/love Blasphemous.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i spent hours driving around the city in gta3 and had a great time but every open world game since has been less fun

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Just Cause and Spider-Man are great open world games because you get to swing all over the place like a maniac. To some extent Super Mario Odyssey also does the same thing with how many movement options you have, but you can't turn your brain off while moving.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

the first time i got into HK, i put it down like a couple hours into it because I was trying to do some platforming thing, and every time i died, i had to start like halfway across the map, which got old real fast. i really want to like HK, but i feel like the tedium is going to get to me again. idk hopefully it clicks this time.

It doesn‘t get better by the way, that game is tedium incarnate.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Hollow Knight is like, twice as long as it needs to be easily.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Crackdown was the pinnacle of GTA-likes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

actually the genre peaked w/ saints row 2

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Prototype was kind of fun to gently caress around in for a while, also that open world superman game was entertaining for 10min

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

poverty goat posted:

actually the genre peaked w/ saints row 2

Such a shame that SR2 had quite honestly the greatest custom character builder - just look up hulk hogan Sr2 or Jesus SR2 - and then no other game since had done that.

Also - I’ve only seen this in Japan only mech games - where you can customize what songs are played for different contexts of the game - like choosing the villains theme song - or what song plays when you enter a boss fight etc.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

One of the bigger problems with Hollow Knight is that it's extremely brutal until you get enough charms to open up gameplay. I remember banging my head against the first boss for an hour or so but started to enjoy it after that.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Hollow Knight is like, twice as long as it needs to be easily.

Also this, the 'Explore & Delve' feature wears a bit thin when you encounter some one-hit kill environment you inevitably walk into.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
That song selection thing sounds neat.

Same about losing the allure of roaming around killing every NPC in an open world game in my teenage years. I also got into gta San Andreas for a while but found the faceless storefronts and gated interaction to eventually be super boring. I would smoke a weed in real life then and drive around and wish there was at least one other actual human player in the world. Haha it was a lonely period in my life haha no big deal and not at all a depressing little vignette in my life

Edit: I'm better now

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Is there anything worth checking out that is similar to BF4? e.g. largish and diverse maps, customizing weapons, vehicles, smooth play style. It's been great getting back into it, with all the options and fast pace. But it's a bit clunky and I want to try something different or newer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Is there anything worth checking out that is similar to BF4? e.g. largish and diverse maps, customizing weapons, vehicles, smooth play style. It's been great getting back into it, with all the options and fast pace. But it's a bit clunky and I want to try something different or newer.

you should play Tribes 2

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I was thinking something released recently, and set in recent history, with guns etc. I also tried Battlefront 2 (also not set in modern time) and the maps are really nice and its a little fun, and fast paced, but there isn't much customization and it feels like a big spam fest a lot of the time. Titan fall is also cool, but it's a little too fast paced and I"m also over it after playing countless hours.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Battlefield is kind of first in class for what you’re talking about. Titanfall 2 if you like mechs?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

fridge corn posted:

I hate photo modes. Theres hardly ever a time when I want to take a photo and the ones where you click both sticks to activate is loving wonderful when you do it accidentally in the middle of combat

I wouldn't say I hate them since I assume they're at least one person out there who likes to use them but yeah I couldn't care less.

Only one I ever really played around with a lot was for Skater XL, and it wasn't really a photo mode but a video mode so if you conceived a dope line to skate you could make it look just like a skate video which is pretty fun

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

If that's a big issue just get a guide or at least look up the order of places you should go so that you don't struggle at an impassable area

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

itry posted:

Photomode is made so people can create free marketing photos share experiences online.

lol came here to post this

sound test is og, that was just a way to debug your poo poo. maybe you leave it in as a fun thing in the options menu afterwards. photo mode is like "advertise for us for free please"

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Play posted:

If that's a big issue just get a guide or at least look up the order of places you should go so that you don't struggle at an impassable area

yeah that's what i'm thinking i'll do

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Photo mode talk reminds me of the replay function in Carmageddon 2 and how, as a kid, I'd spend hours running over peds and editing it into a sick-rear end montage. Carma 2 was ahead of its time in that regard I think, poo poo the levels were proto open world too if you think about it.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It's been a while but from memory the photo mode in Uncharted 4 was dope because it also paused the individual rain drops mid descent so you could get a real good look at them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Archer666 posted:

Photo mode talk reminds me of the replay function in Carmageddon 2 and how, as a kid, I'd spend hours running over peds and editing it into a sick-rear end montage. Carma 2 was ahead of its time in that regard I think, poo poo the levels were proto open world too if you think about it.

That reminds me, anyone else remember Cel Damage? That game was also ahead of its time. Not because car based brawlers became popular after that (they basically disappeared after that) but so many video games come out these days in that cutesy, block color style.

It actually looked quite good though, for the Gamecube. I remember the devil car whose powerups could literally shred other cars to bits and destroy them, you could use it three times before needing to recharge and it was so ridiculously OP.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Hollow Knight is so easy to fix too. Just let me fast travel from anywhere and make the bosses less damage sponge-y and it probably goes from a game I quit because of the tedium to one of my favorites.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bah the bosses are great in that game! You do often need to wait for a good time to smack them but damage sponges they are not.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No boss should take more than three hits

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

mods, ban this filth

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Horizon Zero Dawn is the best soulslike.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

flavor.flv posted:

Mario rules

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hollow Knight is great, and I had a lot of fun playing through it the first time around. It was pretty exciting to explore and find out how far the game area stretches.

But, there's no way I'm replaying it anytime soon. It's like rereading a 2000+ page book.

Also, the only boss I really had a hard time with was the fat flying wizard guy. That was a bullshit fight.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Breetai posted:

ITS A loving FARCRY. A lovely Farcry at that in that you're crafting all your ammo constantly (for all I know newer than Farcry 3, may have constant ammo crafting). Grumble grumble. It's okay I stopped playing and moved on to Ratropolis which I had bought at some point and never played.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 2, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
at least it has an actual design and concept other than "uh you're some generic rear end in a top hat with a generic assault rifle that could be from any game in the last 15 years and you need to shoot all those other guys with different generic assault rifles but it's OPEN WORLD"
hunting robo dinosaurs with a bow is automatically 100x more interesting than that, and absolutely commendable even if the gameplay ends up sucking (I never played HZD so I wouldn't know)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

ITS A loving FARCRY. A lovely Farcry at that in that you're crafting all your ammo constantly (for all I know newer than Farcry 3, do that). Grumble grumble. It's okay I stopped playing and moved on to Ratropolis which I had bought at some point and never played.

"Ratropolis combines roguelite, deck building, and tower defense with real time strategy gameplay."

jesus christ its like someone ate a bunch of pc games and puked them up on the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Breetai posted:

you can change its difficulty so its excluded from being a souls like