Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Business Gorillas posted:

I thought they were reworking the setting because the whole interdimensional bubble thing was getting too weird for the lore?

Also, "these guys are from the fire dimension and they travelled through the wyrmcore tunneldepths to raid the glitterdelve gemhills of the metal world" seems more complicated than "this army got on a boat"

Not really. There are many cities and locations in the Realms along with many Portals between the realms and to other locations in the same realm.

Like this is the Great Parch the main setting were things happen in the Realm of Fire.

Any faction in the game can generally show up here, with no difficulties. The only explanation needed that they took a Realmgate or were in one of the unmarked areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

I heard that the reason they created the new setting was a combination of wfb losing popularity at the time (certainly caused by bad management) and not wanting to bother to refresh all armies with new miniatures. But as I said not really sure how truth this is.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

WHFB, as much as I get nostalgic about it, always had rules issues. Did 8th still have crazy problems with spellcaster dominance? I remember Dark Elves being able to sweep an army on T1 with a single spell, or some similar nonsense.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I really like AoS as a setting these days but hooo boy was I mad for a few years there, it was literally insulting at first. My first hand experience was that WHFB was just as popular among my groups as 40k was but it did wane towards the end as 8th strangled the life out of it. The end times was so exciting as a resuscitation method but we all know how that turned out

One thing I do appreciate is that AoS has taken on the quality that 40k has in that it is so vast and intentionally vague in a lot of areas that you can make it whatever you want it to be. I appreciated WHFB's smaller scope at the time but as I get older i value telling my own stories more. It has locations and cities to serve as inspiration the same way 40k has named planets and systems, but there are an infinite number of areas that exist for you to do whatever you want with. I think I like it just as much now but it took a long time to get there

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

actually3raccoons posted:

WHFB, as much as I get nostalgic about it, always had rules issues. Did 8th still have crazy problems with spellcaster dominance? I remember Dark Elves being able to sweep an army on T1 with a single spell, or some similar nonsense.

I can summon a bunch of angry nerds with the power phrase "Banner of the World Dragon"

yeah spellcasting was wild, and anything that made you immune to it was even nastier.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

actually3raccoons posted:

barely remember the specifics but iirc it basically involved a basic dark elf sorceress rushing to one of the opponent's flanks, using as many casting dice possible on the high tier version of Pit of Shades or Purple Sun, likely exploding because a miscast will happen but you've basically sacrificed a ~100pt model to kill like a quarter of an army.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
every edition of WHFB had the most annoying and least creative magic system imaginable

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just want to say what happened with Warmachine/Hordes is loving sad. I played a lot of that game with other people that were bored with GW like ten years ago. It was such a fun system with so much cool poo poo going on, I loved the trollkin models and game had great risk/reward.

It's a real shame that it's nearly dead.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JBP posted:

Just want to say what happened with Warmachine/Hordes is loving sad. I played a lot of that game with other people that were bored with GW like ten years ago. It was such a fun system with so much cool poo poo going on, I loved the trollkin models and game had great risk/reward.

It's a real shame that it's nearly dead.

Yeah I kept wanting to jump in when I lived back in STL but I just couldn't afford it and by the time I could I was living in another part of the country and 40k 8th edition had just exploded onto the scene and Warmahordes was on its way out. Its a real shame that such a rich setting with such a cool system got flushed down the toilet. I'm not usually a big steampunk guy but their particular blend of it was really compelling. I know they have a sci-fi game now but I looked at it and honestly it just looks like someone desperately trying to ape Infinity.

Edit: on a related note I hope Malifaux is doing ok, its almost completely unheard of in the area i'm in now but I had a lot of fun playing the games that I did back in STL and that game is incredibly unique both aesthetically and mechanically

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 2, 2021

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Malifaux is cool as hell and if anything it’s just suffering from the same thing every other non-GW miniature wargame is suffering from, which is that GW games are (for the moment at least) good again.

Warmahordes always had some deep structural issues; they never really figured out how to make warjacks and warbeasts appealing since the nature of the rules favored infantry, the limited number of factions and the nature of the release schedule led to massive roster bloat, and they were utterly unwilling to make use of errata to fix obvious balance problems. But it was a really fun game and actually suitable for competitive tournament play. Then the talented designers left one by one, they severely botched an edition rollout, and that was that.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
I’m glad the old setting is at least still there in the total war games, those games own

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Why didn't the wargaming hobby take off in the US to the extent that it did in the UK? Feels like they have an extremely large, healthy community for pretty much every miniature game you can think of, and I know GW starting off there certainly helped, but that can't be the only reason can it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Why didn't the wargaming hobby take off in the US to the extent that it did in the UK? Feels like they have an extremely large, healthy community for pretty much every miniature game you can think of, and I know GW starting off there certainly helped, but that can't be the only reason can it?

A greater commitment to school bullying is my only idea.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Honestly, it's probably no more complicated than they never made a hard marketing push in the US. I'm sure there were magazine ads and advertisements in game shops, but if you're completely outside the tabletop gaming space that stuff's never gonna reach you. Someone outside the hobby is more likely to accidentally walk into a Games Workshop, mistaking it for a GameStop. The best advertisement GW's ever done is licensing the Dawn of War & Total Warhammer games (DoW is how I discovered Warhammer).

Desfore fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 2, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Desfore posted:

The best advertisement GW's ever done is licensing the Dawn of War & Total Warhammer games (DoW is how I discovered Warhammer).

Seconding this. And then one day, years later, I wanted to try miniature painting (I used to do scale models), Orcs specifically, I thought "Who makes good minis? Well I liked the look of Orks in Warhammer Online so let's check Games Workshop website. Ooooh, what is that AoS thing? What's an Orruk? Ooooh."

And then I wanted to play with my little green soldiers and there you go now I have two 2,000 points armies and decors and stuff.

That's why I said earlier in the thread that GW should license more, better games, and put their animation series on something larger than WH+. It's bound to attract more people. And since streaming platforms will produce anything you offer them, they could even have actually good production values.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Errata for every battletome is out. RIP Hyshian Twinstones 2020-2021 too beautiful (and powerful) for these mortal realms.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
New FAQs have dropped!

On the Idoneth side, the Gloomtide Shipwreck can be garrisoned now, although it's only any use as one big model as you can stick a unit of Reavers in there. Their High Tide ability is now a fight first effect instead of at the start of the combat phase, meaning they can be dragged back by fight last effects. Cloud of Midnight no longer stops shooting entirely - the model using it can't be targeted but is ignored with regards to the Forgotten Nightmares trait.

There's some really big reworks, especially looking in the Stormcast book where their shields all now do something new and the Sequitors lose the soulshield rule.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Separate points for Radukar's bros!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

random pick outs:

gloomspite just have the +1 wound at 10 models now.

StD characters can no longer be generals in god-dedicated armies so the mortal-specific command traits kinda do nothing now I guess?

Endless Legions confirmed to have an end and you can't keep re-summoning the same slowly dwindling unit of zombies.

Bonereapers... get an extra relentless discipline point if they go second. yay.

Cities of Sigmar get a +1 to casting endless spells to make up for losing the realm bonuses. Hallowheart wizards seems to have completely lost their extra spell?

Core rules saying that if you have multiple generals and one dies you get the +2 to the command point bonus roll... except Slaanesh because gently caress you that's why.

^^^edit:
literally only read the first page of that pdf when I posted this. loving finally

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

StD characters can no longer be generals in god-dedicated armies so the mortal-specific command traits kinda do nothing now I guess?

:sigh:

The up-loving of mixing STD into god armies, via not counting as battleline anymore, and now this, is the only thing I'm upset about in this edition. It was extremely fun to have an army that was almost entirely STD, but be able to switch faction abilities on a whim, and maybe add in a couple of faction-specific models. I've played a couple of games as Nurgle, I went to a tournament as Khorne. The versatility was just neat.

Why did they have to rein that in? What problem was being solved?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m mostly wondering how the hell Darkoath lack of Marks and their interaction with the Favor of the Dark Gods stuff managed to avoid being clarified again.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
OBR seem to be in a rough spot if you decide not to play with Katakros. The generation of points is there but not having access to the new general command abilities is tough when they are so darn good. Also only being able to use each ability once and each unit can only be effected by one ability is something to get used to as well.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Deofuta posted:

OBR seem to be in a rough spot if you decide not to play with Katakros. The generation of points is there but not having access to the new general command abilities is tough when they are so darn good. Also only being able to use each ability once and each unit can only be effected by one ability is something to get used to as well.
Arkhan can still spam Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield so that's something, but yeah, since you can only use command abilities once per phase, games are going to be pretty rough for them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Coalition units can now be used as battleline unless a battlepack specifically disallows it, so they walked that one back fast.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Coalition units can now be used as battleline unless a battlepack specifically disallows it, so they walked that one back fast.

Oh word? Is that in the FAQ somewhere?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Katakros and Arkhan are excellent reasons why they should not give OBR the general command abilities, because it would make them go to 11 in terms of durability. But it gets tougher when you want to play games with people that don't involve the leader of your faction and co-leader of Death in general. Like everyone I am certainly hoping for a new codex on the horizon, and Petrifax 3.0 is excellent (lower rend by 1 to a minimum of 1) so that could be neat, but otherwise it may be tough.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Geisladisk posted:

Oh word? Is that in the FAQ somewhere?

Core Rules FAQ

E: the only thing they can’t do seems to be be your General.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Apparently Pitched Battles 2021 battlepack disallows it tho, so…???

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

Apparently Pitched Battles 2021 battlepack disallows it tho, so…???

I guess they wanted to test it out for a year and then be able to easily change it back in the next GHB if it sucks? Thats the only explanation I can come up with.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Not a big fan of fundamental army selection changes like this in battlepacks.

Besides, almost all games are played using the latest GHB matched rules, at least around here. Wether it is banned there or in the core rules is immaterial.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Soulblight can take the members of Radukar’s Court individually now instead of all as one big pack; pretty neat.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Well, they fixed Legion of the First Prince, in the clunkiest way possible. The rule now says "if you choose this faction, Be’lakor and units with the
Daemon keyword in Battletome: Blades of Khorne, Battletome: Disciples of Tzeentch, Battletome: Maggotkin of Nurgle, Battletome: Hedonites of Slaanesh and Battletome: Slaves to Darkness, can be part of your army." With how the core rules are set up, I think this is the best way they could have re-written this rule, but man is that silly having to list each book individually.

The phrasing on some of the Q&A's:
"Q: Was it intended for Karanak not to be a Leader?
A: Yes.

Q: Is the Daemon keyword missing from the Valkia the Bloody and Mighty Skullcrushers warscrolls?
A: No, it was omitted deliberately."

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 2, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geisladisk posted:

:sigh:

Why did they have to rein that in? What problem was being solved?

The fact that they were replacing the units from the Devoted Armies.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Desfore posted:

The phrasing on some of the Q&A's:
"Q: Was it intended for Karanak not to be a Leader?
A: Yes.

Q: Is the Daemon keyword missing from the Valkia the Bloody and Mighty Skullcrushers warscrolls?
A: No, it was omitted deliberately."

This is very lol tbh, if I were in charge they'd be a lot worse. "yes, dipshit"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

On the other hand, they had to remember to add Dragon to the dark elves on dragons.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

gonna be honest having your general be a literal dog would've been cool and good.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Thank God they added extra clarification to Pink Horrors: "Iridescent Horrors, Pink Horrors and Blue Horrors that flee cannot Split and Split Again. This ability allows the number of models in this unit to exceed its maximum size." Now everyone can shut up about "Fleeing models don't count as slain!"

edit: Wait, that'll still pop up when people use Rally. gently caress. At least you can use this errata to point out "these models don't count"

Desfore fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 2, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Desfore posted:

Honestly, it's probably no more complicated than they never made a hard marketing push in the US. I'm sure there were magazine ads and advertisements in game shops, but if you're completely outside the tabletop gaming space that stuff's never gonna reach you. Someone outside the hobby is more likely to accidentally walk into a Games Workshop, mistaking it for a GameStop. The best advertisement GW's ever done is licensing the Dawn of War & Total Warhammer games (DoW is how I discovered Warhammer).

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The size difference was a big factor. There were a ton of gaming clubs but America is goddamn massive compared to the UK. And there were hard marketing pushes, at one point the POTUS was a big avowed fan of a wargame, Gettysburg(and they capitalized on this) but America's population is many times the size of the UK.

AchtungBaby posted:

I heard that the reason they created the new setting was a combination of wfb losing popularity at the time (certainly caused by bad management) and not wanting to bother to refresh all armies with new miniatures. But as I said not really sure how truth this is.

But where did you hear it from?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished some Evocators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just got the Dominion box. Everything looks great, and I'm really looking forward to putting together and painting the Kruleboyz. The one surprise is that the Hobgrots aren't as small as I thought they would be.

If anyone in the UK was the rulebook + Sigmarine half of the box, I'd be happy to offload them for MSRP equivalent. If you're interested feel free to PM me.