Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Justin Godscock posted:

I cannot believe they casually dropped a major spoiler of Abomination coming back. I mean, Tim Roth is returning for She-Hulk but him coming back before then it pretty drat huge given how long ago (and almost forgotten) The Incredible Hulk is to Marvel Studios. This wasn't even a "holy poo poo, guys" moment like Spider-Man in Civil War's trailer. He just suddenly appears in a random scene unannounced.

To be fair I don't really think Abomination and Spider-Man are really in the same stratosphere of trailer spoilers or drops.

But I also kind of love the idea that Abomination has spent the last 10 years in superpowered pit fights and similarly grimy stuff. That element of surviving supervillains and a world of super powers has been missing from MCU proper and it feels like its kind of being snuck into Phase 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The 1995 MK movie is PG-13 and I like it.

I think you guys are misreading me, so I'm going to state it again: I am not excited for Shang-Chi at all, but "Marvel Mortal Kombat" is a cool premise that could, theoretically, in some alternate universe where Marvel's house style isn't completely bloodless and their settings weren't worse than the Universal Soldier DTV movies, work. That's all.

I do not appreciate this left handed compliment for Regeneration and Day of Reckoning. Not at all

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DeimosRising posted:

I do not appreciate this left handed compliment for Regeneration and Day of Reckoning. Not at all

Not to speak for them but there was definitely a dark, dark time for the Universal Soldier series before The Return+Regeneration+Day of Reckoning which might be what they were referring to:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think you could just say "The non-Van Damme Universal Soldiers"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The United States posted:

I think you could just say "The non-Van Damme Universal Soldiers"

"If I had more time, I'd have written less."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DeimosRising posted:

Ha! Fair enough. I meant to imply that Marvel uses many of the same geberal types of locations as the UniSol movies (the good ones) but makes them look worse, despite their budget being 10x greater. By no means am I insulting the UniSol movies.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If you think about it, the Universal Soldier series is just another superhero franchise. Hell, no one even stays dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-0j-mk3AwI

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The 1995 MK movie is PG-13 and I like it.

I think you guys are misreading me, so I'm going to state it again: I am not excited for Shang-Chi at all, but "Marvel Mortal Kombat" is a cool premise that could, theoretically, in some alternate universe where Marvel's house style isn't completely bloodless and their settings weren't worse than the Universal Soldier DTV movies, work. That's all.

The universal soldier DTV movies were really good. Well, two of them were anyway.

The United States posted:

If you think about it, the Universal Soldier series is just another superhero franchise. Hell, no one even stays dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-0j-mk3AwI

And it even includes easter eggs for itself, albeit accidentally. Michael Jai White, who plays the villain in the genuinely terrible 2nd one, has a blink and you'll miss it role in the first one. He's one of the other soldiers in vietnam who runs into shot, panics, then runs out of shot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

The universal soldier DTV movies were really good. Well, two of them were anyway.

And it even includes easter eggs for itself, albeit accidentally. Michael Jai White, who plays the villain in the genuinely terrible 2nd one, has a blink and you'll miss it role in the first one. He's one of the other soldiers in vietnam who runs into shot, panics, then runs out of shot.

Isn't White in, like, the fourth or fifth one? I could have sworn the were two to three DTV sequels in between with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Isn't White in, like, the fourth or fifth one? I could have sworn the were two to three DTV sequels in between with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I always see confusion about this regularly so I made this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R5Iz_gpCN7KhnKGqva3tPz4NSJiEBouvtSZh7ho_SQk/edit?usp=sharing

The first two DTV movies were made in the same year because originally the intention was that it was going to be one mini-series instead of two movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

He's in the one with Goldberg. It's definitely the weakest in the main series, not having the spectacle of the first one or the determined weirdness and meta-ness of Hyams' films. The only notable things about it are the absolute shallowest excuse to go to a strip club of any 90s action film (they need to use the internet) goldberg's indestructiblity (which you can tell the writers realised they took too far. when he finally dies, it's effectively off screen) and a scene where the screenwriter clearly lost his mind and wrote Goldberg getting into a wrestling match with a very buff hospital orderly played by a different pro wrestler. It's genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen and absolutely the nadir of JCVD's 90s career.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haha poo poo that wrestling match just nade ne remember I watched that absolute poo poo as a kid. They cut out the strip club bit tho

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I only know Goldberg from the second Scooby-Doo/WWE crossover

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I only know Goldberg from the second Scooby-Doo/WWE crossover

I spent at least a couple of years unaware that him and Stone Cold were different people. I think it was that fun-bad Sandler version of the Longest Yard that finally let me fix which was which in my mind.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Where’s the Spider-Man trailer

Give me the Spider-Man trailer

https://youtu.be/609igM49_sc

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

man nurse posted:

Where’s the Spider-Man trailer

Give me the Spider-Man trailer

https://youtu.be/609igM49_sc

You can watch the first 8 seconds of the Argentinian version on twitter if you can find one that hasn't been taken down yet!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I kind of like Loki somewhat but it’s more saved by Owen Wilson interacting with Tom Hiddleston and just barely being cool about the TVA concept. Nobody seems to be talking much about it because welp the MCU is kinda lame overall.

It’s a better attempt at TV than other stuff thus far

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I like Sophia Di Martino a lot as the Variant and her being a trans character got unexpected emotions with her interactions from a last character. Better than Copaganda.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like Sophia Di Martino a lot as the Variant and her being a trans character got unexpected emotions with her interactions from a last character. Better than Copaganda.

She's not trans. She was born a woman.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She's not trans. She was born a woman.
I mean I'm not sure which detail you're focusing on. but I think regardless the female version of the traditionally male character telling the main character to not deadname her and being hunted down because she doesn't belong is indeed trans even if they snuck in a little detail to backtrack it from being literally true.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean I'm not sure which detail you're focusing on. but I think regardless the female version of the traditionally male character telling the main character to not deadname her and being hunted down because she doesn't belong is indeed trans even if they snuck in a little detail to backtrack it from being literally true.

Would you say that she's low key trans?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Roth posted:

Would you say that she's low key trans?

booooooooooooooooooooooo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

booooooooooooooooooooooo

A pretty Odinus pun, agreed.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes, thank you. I was thinking something similar and this is a way more concise way of saying it. Sophia di Martino is cis, but gender-fluidity and queerness are already recurring elements in the story (e.g. Loki-Prime is bisexual and is listed as genderfluid, and actual Norse mythology depicts Loki similarly.) But per your second point, what did Sylvie actually do? It really does feel like her only crime was being the wrong gender in the eyes of the TVA, that "variance" is a crime in and of itself regardless of its impact. Reading Sylvie as trans, at least conceptually, makes a ton of sense.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As far as we know, the conditions of her birth is the only crime.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Inzombiac posted:

As far as we know, the conditions of her birth is the only crime.

The judge says in the latest episode that she doesn't remember. But, the major "difference" between the two is that Sophie's character knew she was adopted her whole life.

Since the Judge "can't remember" what it was, it probably isn't the gender specifically. They also don't consider her timeline divergent until she is ~10 years old, so it probably wasn't the birth.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Since the Judge "can't remember" what it was, it probably isn't the gender specifically.
I mean I don't know what the reveal will be, but the Judge is clearly lying.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The judge says in the latest episode that she doesn't remember. But, the major "difference" between the two is that Sophie's character knew she was adopted her whole life.

Since the Judge "can't remember" what it was, it probably isn't the gender specifically. They also don't consider her timeline divergent until she is ~10 years old, so it probably wasn't the birth.

Which also serves a reading of the character as trans. "This normal child becomes an unacceptable Variant as they enter adolescence." Though I'm sure you're right, and some explicit plot reason will be revealed that isn't that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My actual guess is that it's not that Silvie is a girl per se, but that was the moment where she was destined to be happy which breaks the timeline because Loki is doomed to fail.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

My actual guess is that it's not that Silvie is a girl per se, but that was the moment where she was destined to be happy which breaks the timeline because Loki is doomed to fail.

I don't think it's quite that, either. Consider what she was doing and how she acted in the TVA.

She was re-enacting and celebrating someone else's accomplishments. At the TVA she expressed compassion and concern for the guy struggling with the guards. She was a good kid who showed every sign of growing into a good adult and a good sister to Thor. So, she was not going to bring misery and pain to all those around and "force them to be their best selves" in response to the awful poo poo she did. Granted that she might still have inspired others to be their best selves by being a good person, but that's not how it's "supposed to be" in the Sacred Timeline.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It’s contradictory because the entire mission statement of the TVA is that there is exactly one single timeline. The fact that she was on a different timeline at all is the crime. Now, why it took them 10 full years to discover this other timeline and why every single other person on that timeline wasn’t considered a variant isn’t really explained. You’re probably not supposed to think about it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

It’s contradictory because the entire mission statement of the TVA is that there is exactly one single timeline. The fact that she was on a different timeline at all is the crime. Now, why it took them 10 full years to discover this other timeline and why every single other person on that timeline wasn’t considered a variant isn’t really explained. You’re probably not supposed to think about it.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the diverging event was her having a happy and content childhood.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think having divergent timelines is ok based on how much the Avengers have done it but theres some arbitrary limit that we dont know where being divergent is BAD at least for the TVA

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Avengers specifically self-pruned those timelines by returning the stones, and it's explained in like the first episode that them doing this to defeat Thanos was part of the "plan" or whatever. I'm just going by what the TVA is saying, although there are obviously a bunch of lies since they are the bad guys and have some hidden agenda. But from the beginning they've said that being a variant is a crime, and you are apprehended and your divergent timeline is erased basically ASAP.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Guy A. Person posted:

But from the beginning they've said that being a variant is a crime, and you are apprehended and your divergent timeline is erased basically ASAP.
Yeah, which is why Sylvie being 10ish at the time she was caught was so weird. The post-credits scene suggests that there were *way* more radical variants at some point, which means Sylv was probably one of the last Big Divergences they took care of?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, which is why Sylvie being 10ish at the time she was caught was so weird. The post-credits scene suggests that there were *way* more radical variants at some point, which means Sylv was probably one of the last Big Divergences they took care of?
Well I think we know two things:

--The TVA is lying
--The MCU is literally making the Toby and Amazing Spider movies part of their canon and going all in on Multiverse stuff

We also know that there is some wiggle room with messing with the past. Like in Avengers: Endgame, they still made an alternate universe because HYDRA thinks Cap is a double agent and Tony had a heart attack that he didn't have before, but the general vibe in that movie is that as long as things more or less work out the way they're supposed to, it's fine. That's why Loki is the only part of their plan that gets flagged. It's why you can go to the apocalypses. You're technically changing the timeline, but in a way that can never have longterm ramifications so it doesn't even show up.

So, I think the safer interpretation is that the sacred timeline is more of a guideline than anything else. There are multiple timelines/universes all following the same general beats. The Avengers win in the end. Loki loses in the end.

I think the Silvie was happy theory makes sense when you look at the Lokis at the end:

--You have 616ish Loki who seems to actually have "won" the battle of New York but left things in chaos
--You have a Loki who seems to have tried to model himself after his buds Heimdall and Thor instead of being a trickster
--I don't know about the rest

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, I think the safer interpretation is that the sacred timeline is more of a guideline than anything else. There are multiple timelines/universes all following the same general beats. The Avengers win in the end. Loki loses in the end.

Yeah, it's this.
There are theoretically infinite alternate timelines going on simultaneously, which is why the sacred timeline is visualized as a rope of lines and not a single thread, and that variants can crop up at any point. Diverge too hard and get pruned but there is some flex. That's why their chart readouts are presented that way; there's an acceptable threshold because otherwise they'd have to go prune every timeline where Tony drinks espresso instead of the ordained cappuccino.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, it's this.
There are theoretically infinite alternate timelines going on simultaneously, which is why the sacred timeline is visualized as a rope of lines and not a single thread, and that variants can crop up at any point. Diverge too hard and get pruned but there is some flex. That's why their chart readouts are presented that way; there's an acceptable threshold because otherwise they'd have to go prune every timeline where Tony drinks espresso instead of the ordained cappuccino.

Maybe I'm looking back in the wrong spot but in the cartoon Loki watches it's visualized as a rope of lines is when the Timekeepers are merging it* into a "single timeline, the Sacred Timeline". From there were see an image of all living things each with their own line, then we are told that wandering off your specific timeline even by something as minor as "being late to work" can cause a cascade of changes, so the TVA corrects the variance. I somehow doubt a timeline where Loki was born a woman and told she was adopted much earlier was within the acceptable limits, until she started being "too happy" (I guess unless the idea is that she was told she was adopted that day and feeling that sort of trust was the lynchpin moment).

This also explains how the TVA is able to staff their massive, seemingly infinite complex. I have a hard time buying that Mobius the jet-ski lover or C-20 the margarita drinker were able to create their own nexuses under the idea that only huge changes can cause a nexus event. If it takes a "happy" Loki who presumably doesn't invade earth to create a sufficient nexus, what could jet-ski guy possibly do?

*obviously we know this part is bullshit and there's more going on in any case, which is why this convo is maybe premature

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Guy A. Person posted:

[ I have a hard time buying that Mobius the jet-ski lover or C-20 the margarita drinker were able to create their own nexuses under the idea that only huge changes can cause a nexus event.
Well, when you think about it some Bosnian dude stops to tie his shoelaces, decides not to hit a sandwich shop and go home, and suddenly huge Nexus event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Well, when you think about it some Bosnian dude stops to tie his shoelaces, decides not to hit a sandwich shop and go home, and suddenly huge Nexus event.

Yeah this is the impression I am getting from the currently spelled out "rules" but again since we know the TVA is lying about a bunch of poo poo, the "Sacred Timeline" could be bunk entirely, and maybe there already is a multi-verse and the TVA are just using their propaganda as an excuse to pillage poo poo from other realities