Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ooofff

https://twitter.com/spacejammovie/status/1410659683774308354?s=20

https://twitter.com/spacejammovie/status/1410986738516828169?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Obviously some executive fell in love with the Notorious P.I.G pun and didn't consider whether it was actually worth pursuing or not.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, is Wonder Egg Priority any good?

Also a new trailer for He-Man Revelation just dropped:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iXdEeRBh9Zk

The first 11 episodes are the best anime in years. A kid fighting persona 4 type manifestations of girl suicide victims traumas with one of those pens with four colors, Then the 12th episode is a bizarre twist, then 8 months later there is a finale series and everyone just kinda walks around a while then leaves.

(I am almost entirely sure 12 was the planned last episode then it did so well it got a special to finish it, but I bet they then will get a second season and had to water the special down to filler)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BioEnchanted posted:

I was just rewatching Poor Unfortunate Souls for the nth time (It's one of my favourite Disney villain songs) and there is an aspect of it that I appreciate.

I also love how after this sequence she gets transformed to human form so immediately that she has to swim upwards an incredible height to not drown instantly.

But I've never understood why she has to get kissed before sunset or turn into the mushroom thing. That wasn't part of the contract at all!

VVV thanks, I'm not sure how I've managed to miss that cut seemingly every time I've watched it.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 5, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

~Coxy posted:

I also love how after this sequence she gets transformed to human form so immediately that she has to swim upwards an incredible height to not drown instantly.

But I've never understood why she has to get kissed before sunset or turn into the mushroom thing. That wasn't part of the contract at all!

"Now, here's the deal. I will make you a potion that will turn you into a human for 3 days. Got that? 3 days. Now, listen! This is important! Before the sun sets on the third day, you've gotta get dear old princie to fall in love with you. That is, he's got to kiss you. Not just any kiss. The kiss of true love! If he does kiss you before the sun sets on the third day, you'll remain human... PERMANENTLY! But... if he doesn't, you'll turn back into a mermaid, and... you belong TO ME!"

Obviously there's a big ol asterisk on the "belong to me" part that includes "*and turn into a sea slug thing". I mean all her former deal makers that lost are even in her cave

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BioEnchanted posted:

Obviously some executive fell in love with the Notorious P.I.G pun and didn't consider whether it was actually worth pursuing or not.

Has a cartoon rapping ever not been how-do-you-do-fellow-kids terrible? I sincerely can't think of an example.

e: I just realized Robot Chicken did the same sketch like, +10 years ago.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 4, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

"Now, here's the deal. I will make you a potion that will turn you into a human for 3 days. Got that? 3 days. Now, listen! This is important! Before the sun sets on the third day, you've gotta get dear old princie to fall in love with you. That is, he's got to kiss you. Not just any kiss. The kiss of true love! If he does kiss you before the sun sets on the third day, you'll remain human... PERMANENTLY! But... if he doesn't, you'll turn back into a mermaid, and... you belong TO ME!"

Obviously there's a big ol asterisk on the "belong to me" part that includes "*and turn into a sea slug thing". I mean all her former deal makers that lost are even in her cave

Of course Ursula then proceeded to try and screw Ariel over by having her eels capsize the boat she and Eric were in and then later using a human form and Ariel’s voice to hypnotize him into marrying her.

Though in the original story it turned out that the prince was already engaged to someone else which thereby made the entire bargain pointless to begin with so I’d still say the Disney version got the better deal overall.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
If it was a good verse it would be fine. The joke is aware of its cynicism but if Porky started rapping about his pain growing up in a slaughterhouse and they took at least a minute or two on it, it becomes good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larryb posted:

Though in the original story it turned out that the prince was already engaged to someone else which thereby made the entire bargain pointless to begin with so I’d still say the Disney version got the better deal overall.
The original story has more twists than the Simpsons FroYo Asian vendor.

*Visits Surface one day out of the year
* Saves, Becomes enamored of Prince
* Sea Witch Bargain, let's her dance beautifully but every step is daggers in her feet.
* Arranged Marriage for Prince
* Prince liver Mermaid tho, buuuuut...
* Prince thinks Princess is the girl at the temple who saved him
* Sister Mermaids trade hair for magic dagger to save Little Mermaid
* Unable to Murder the Prince, Mermaid throws dagger and herself into the sea on her last day
* Emerges from the foam as a wind spirit
* granted 300 years of duty for her noble soul
* baby cries in her presence = 1 year of life minus, baby laughs + 1 day towards goal
* if she's in the red after 300 years then poof, but if she succeeds she gets a soul and goes to heaven.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Das Boo posted:

Has a cartoon rapping ever not been how-do-you-do-fellow-kids terrible? I sincerely can't think of an example.

Weeeeeeeelllll

https://youtu.be/imPa37z1COM

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Porky's got nothing on this masterpiece...

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

dennyk posted:

Porky's got nothing on this masterpiece...

Either version, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ONIQZdbpwY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Space Jam sequel somehow ends up more 90s than the original.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Das Boo posted:

1. best space jam rap is buggin (chopped not slopped remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD2yMbuEwlk

2. whoever wrote the rap in animaniacs 2020 will not see the kingdom of heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKULTV2n4Js

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The first 11 episodes are the best anime in years. A kid fighting persona 4 type manifestations of girl suicide victims traumas with one of those pens with four colors, Then the 12th episode is a bizarre twist, then 8 months later there is a finale series and everyone just kinda walks around a while then leaves.

(I am almost entirely sure 12 was the planned last episode then it did so well it got a special to finish it, but I bet they then will get a second season and had to water the special down to filler)

So the issue is the production was a mess, a serious serious mess even by anime standards. It was planned for 13 episodes but they missed their delivery date so the 13th aired two months late as a special. And it really screwed the series over by dropping plot lines and being badly paced and making some huge awful character choices.

Unfortunately the series did fairly badly in ratings so there’s no chance of season 2 unless is somehow does crazy good on blu ray. You can already see the huge animation dip in the 13th episode as they realized things weren’t gonna work out.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

This. This speaks to me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Belladonna of Sadness might be one of the most insane things I've ever watched.

Johnny Corncob was a fun time, and a good way to come off what a downer Belladonna is. Then it was time for Watership Down which I bought the Criterion release of, and it's probably better than I remember. I think a lot of the deeper meaning of that movie flew over my head as a dumb teenager that put it on to see what the deal is with the dark and edgy rabbit movie. It's a really good movie about living through political turmoil.

Watching Son of the White Mare now and this is one of the coolest looking animated movies I've ever seen. I think what's so refreshing about this Criterion category is the showcase of art styles beyond just the usual Disney/anime art styles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Saw Onward finally tonight, on a plane. It really did it for me, particularly the Last Ride of Guinevere scene

Fuckin Pixar. They always bring the pain like nobody else

e: also watching it right after the incoherent mess that is Frozen 2, it reminds me very vividly how good they are at closing off every single minuscule plot loop and hook with a well-earned callback. They make it look so easy, while Disney—Disney—seems unable to even play in the same storytelling league a lot of the time

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 5, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Watching this really solidified why I love the slapstick in SG:CtC so much - it's the way the blasters work. It's not just a gun that shoots you and explodes; it's a gun that shoots a ray into you long enough for you to start to scream before cutting that off with an explosion. It's like perfectly timed to crack me up every time.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's me, I'm Don Cheadle staring into an empty space and imagining how I would respond to a rapping cartoon pig

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Thank you for giving me a reason to never actually watch this garbage.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

The original story has more twists than the Simpsons FroYo Asian vendor.

*Visits Surface one day out of the year
* Saves, Becomes enamored of Prince
* Sea Witch Bargain, let's her dance beautifully but every step is daggers in her feet.
* Arranged Marriage for Prince
* Prince liver Mermaid tho, buuuuut...
* Prince thinks Princess is the girl at the temple who saved him
* Sister Mermaids trade hair for magic dagger to save Little Mermaid
* Unable to Murder the Prince, Mermaid throws dagger and herself into the sea on her last day
* Emerges from the foam as a wind spirit
* granted 300 years of duty for her noble soul
* baby cries in her presence = 1 year of life minus, baby laughs + 1 day towards goal
* if she's in the red after 300 years then poof, but if she succeeds she gets a soul and goes to heaven.

This doesn't feel like it makes much sense.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

This doesn't feel like it makes much sense.

Fairytales in general are kind of weird/hosed up like that (look up the original versions of Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty for example).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Larryb posted:

Fairytales in general are kind of weird/hosed up like that (look up the original versions of Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty for example).

The 'ending' is also pretty obviously tacked on Christianised claptrap. A lot of Brothers Grimm takes on fairy tales end up more dark because they crowbar 'morals' into them when they were originally more along the lines of campfire tales.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Also in the Grimm versions all step-parents are evil because they were originally birth parents who are wicked. The Grimms couldn't fathom the thought of ones birth parents being villainous.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Roth posted:

Watching Son of the White Mare now and this is one of the coolest looking animated movies I've ever seen. I think what's so refreshing about this Criterion category is the showcase of art styles beyond just the usual Disney/anime art styles.

Seeing the 4K restoration of Son of the White Mare was a revelation. Not only is the animation style incredible in its own right, it also perfectly captures the mythological spirit of the original legends.

It's fitting in a way that we're talking about the film on the same page as The Little Mermaid. Both are adapations of folk tales, but with radically different approaches. The Little Mermaid keeps the basic outline of the original but updates form and content to reflect the sensibilities of 1989 Americans, while Son of the White Mare is dedicated to transposing the original poem as faithfully as possible into a different medium. The result feels bewildering at times, but it also makes for a strangely communal experience. One where the community we participate in is not our own but that of people living centuries ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just realised something silly from TVtropes of all things that's nonetheless compelling; the Toy Story movies have a lot of Star Wars references, complete with an on-the-nose scene ripped from the respective counterpart in the original trilogy. (Sid interrogating Woody about the rebel base, Zurg and Belt Buzz outright playing out the 'I am your father' scene, the doll throwing Lotso into the dumpster like Vader throws Palpatine) Star Wars is a sci-fi western, and the protagonists of Toy Story are a cowboy and a spaceman.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

My favorite version of The Little Mermaid is the dark ride version at the parks. They skip on literally everything villainous Ursula does to save time. The progression goes, like, under the sea, transformation sequence, kiss the girl that actually results in true love’s kiss, celebration finale. Ursula’s basically an unsung hero.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boxman posted:

My favorite version of The Little Mermaid is the dark ride version at the parks. They skip on literally everything villainous Ursula does to save time. The progression goes, like, under the sea, transformation sequence, kiss the girl that actually results in true love’s kiss, celebration finale. Ursula’s basically an unsung hero.

If it wasn't for Prince Hans, Elsa never would have learned to control her powers and in fact would still be alone in her ice castle while everyone in Arendelle starved and froze to death.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Boxman posted:

The original concept was much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHh4ci2kn_k

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like that I understand exactly how he tripped.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Makes you wonder how anybody had scabbards in ye olden days

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Data Graham posted:

Makes you wonder how anybody had scabbards in ye olden days

Swords suck in a lot of ways, they look cool as Hell but they really suck at everything other than being aesthetically pleasing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Was that not a blooper they then decided to fully animate?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Was that not a blooper they then decided to fully animate?
no! it's a vital and heroic part of the narrative

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like there's a frame in there that you can see straight up his miniskirt when he falls.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

We were so busy wondering how we could do it we never thought to think if we SHOULD

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i uh probably shouldn't post stuff like this

it's true though lol

perepelki fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like there's a frame in there that you can see straight up his miniskirt when he falls.
one of the animators loved aragorn's costume so much that bakshi gifted it to him and he wore it while animating