Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

Thanks for alerting me about this game, it rules. It's way hard though. I got to like realm 11 and then just got owned by attrition

fantastic, I've been looking for an opportunity to complain about this

there was actually a way for a player, using knowledge and forward planning, to vastly mitigate the effects of attrition and only pick fights they could win by looking 2 steps ahead. then some guy on the discord said it was tedious so it was removed, and now the way that you deal with attrition is to be lucky and just hope you find a lot of mana potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

cock hero flux posted:

there was actually a way for a player, using knowledge and forward planning, to vastly mitigate the effects of attrition and only pick fights they could win by looking 2 steps ahead. then some guy on the discord said it was tedious so it was removed, and now the way that you deal with attrition is to be lucky and just hope you find a lot of mana potions.

It was because I ran out of health, actually. I spawned a lot of burning ghosts with fireball + dark spells and that one skill, which was great, but then I had 6 hp and a ranged blinking enemy ganked my rear end

Fun game though. What was removed?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

please knock Mom! posted:

It was because I ran out of health, actually. I spawned a lot of burning ghosts with fireball + dark spells and that one skill, which was great, but then I had 6 hp and a ranged blinking enemy ganked my rear end

Fun game though. What was removed?

You used to be able to half-enter a gate, allowing you to see everything on that floor, including what gates it had and thus you could reliable plan two floors ahead.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh, yeah, that helps. Though that would have probably been too much planning ahead for me, I prefer just being able to adapt and overcome in roguelikes.

Razakai posted:

My favourite Rift Wizard strategy atm is going for early Arch Sorcerer. You can pick up 3 cantrips and then AS on floor 3. While it's 7 points, it's not far off the equivalent of getting +damage for all 3 cantrips (and a few bonus charges and range) so you're pretty much breaking even. What it does mean is you have incredible flexibility afterwards, as every sorcery you buy gets the boost. Especially great with high power, low charge spells like Chill Wind.
Both wins so far have been lightning builds as there's an incredible amount of synergy available. Plus many of your spells ignore LoS so it's very safe.

Nice idea, got me to realm 7 or so just now. My favorite spell so far is chain lightning, but I haven't been able to build around it that effectively yet.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's the only major modern successor i can think of to the ADOM / Nethack branch of roguelike design, but is significantly better than either of those games in terms of the mechanics serving its overall design goals instead of undercutting them, and in terms of usability

See, this is the kind of stuff that's selling me on the game more than the amusing enough stories of hugging pyramids or becoming a trans-dimensional slave driver.

Does the game have a concrete goal to strive for, like fetching the Amulet of Yendor, or is it just open-ended "do what you want" kind of stuff?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

packetmantis posted:

Are you serious?

Did I stutter?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Armauk posted:

Did I stutter?

packetmantis lives to get into fights in threads about unrelated stuff, don't worry about it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

See, this is the kind of stuff that's selling me on the game more than the amusing enough stories of hugging pyramids or becoming a trans-dimensional slave driver.

Does the game have a concrete goal to strive for, like fetching the Amulet of Yendor, or is it just open-ended "do what you want" kind of stuff?
There's a main quest. At the moment one of the steps just gives you a pop up telling you that you've finished the game so far. I have never managed to get that far, but I've seen it on a stream and the whole sequence leading up to it is some incredible poo poo.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, the pop-up occurs after an achievement which absolutely feels like a logical endpoint for a complete quest line; it definitely gives you a "won the game" feeling. It's not just a sudden, unceremonious halt - when you get there, it's satisfying as hell.

And also cool as hell. I'm not gonna post spoilers, but my god, that whole sequence really grips the imagination. Its not often that a video game manages to inspire something resembling wonder or awe, but the first time I finished the current Qud content, I spent the rest of the evening just thinking about it. It fascinated me so completely that my husband actually asked what was on my mind (and was wonderfully patient, though obviously sort of amused, when I fell all over myself trying to explain the feeling I'd gotten from beating an indie roguelike).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cock hero flux posted:

The is the type of complaint, similar to "the devs are turning Crawl into a perfectly smooth featureless sphere!", that gets passed around, becomes community wisdom, and then never ever goes away no matter what.

The rift scouting change is currently on beta only, and "some guy on the discord" is literally the dev himself. On top of that, in response to feedback about attrition and unbeatable floors, the dev added a bunch of items to help with clearing out floors, added a second type of spell replenishment consumable to go alongside mana potions, cranked Portal Disruptor drop frequency way up, and allowed a bunch of spells to cut through resistances by changing how damage typing worked.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The complaints about Rift Wizard removing double rift scouting have made me think the game may need an easier difficulty level. Double scouting was very boring to do so it had to go, but it does make the player slightly weaker. Personally, I never did it anyway and still had little trouble, but it seems some players have struggled a lot more.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

The rift scouting change is currently on beta only, and "some guy on the discord" is literally the dev himself. On top of that, in response to feedback about attrition and unbeatable floors, the dev added a bunch of items to help with clearing out floors, added a second type of spell replenishment consumable to go alongside mana potions, cranked Portal Disruptor drop frequency way up, and allowed a bunch of spells to cut through resistances by changing how damage typing worked.

Yes, all changes which exist to haphazardly pave over the problems the scouting change caused. The end result is that what could once be solved with thought is now RNG dependent. Winning is less about playing well and more about being lucky.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

The is the type of complaint, similar to "the devs are turning Crawl into a perfectly smooth featureless sphere!", that gets passed around, becomes community wisdom, and then never ever goes away no matter what.

also, the complaint never goes away because it's valid and never gets fixed

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

also, the complaint never goes away because it's valid and never gets fixed

yeah, was gonna mention crawl's development in recent years isn't really a fair comparison...

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Imagine the game didn't have 2nd level scoutjng before and the dev added it in an update. People would be extremely mad (and rightly so) that the dev took this lazy option instead of just balancing better.

Removing it is a great change, especially because he combined it with other good changes.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

cock hero flux posted:

Yes, all changes which exist to haphazardly pave over the problems the scouting change caused. The end result is that what could once be solved with thought is now RNG dependent. Winning is less about playing well and more about being lucky.

I don't know about this. Scouting ahead isn't the same as playing well, imo. If this game was balanced around me scouting multiple rooms ahead I would not play it, that's way too methodical for me.

Made it to floor 16 just now, think the game is clicking

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cock hero flux posted:

Oh, it's you, I remember you now, you're the one who wrote up these huge hypothetical posts about Crawl being destroyed because it automatically played itself, which was clear and obvious nonsense.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh, it's you, I remember you now, you're the one who wrote up these huge hypothetical posts about Crawl being destroyed because it automatically played itself, which was clear and obvious nonsense.

you say that like there haven't been a million variations of "crawl will eventually be a game where you press o and then it flips a coin and says either win or lose" posted by people over the years with varying levels of facetiousness

in any event it's largely unrelated to what you're theoretically talking about because the rift wizard thing is a singular change which I think is very bad even though there is a rational thought process behind it as opposed to crawl's problem which is over a decade of consistently completely insane development strategy concocted by an alien intellect whose thoughts mortals dare not fathom lest they too be dragged down into madness

edit: also like 2 days ago i won a 15 rune game where I would say >99% of my keypresses were either o or tab or moving to stairs, for melee characters it really is getting there

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 5, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

there's a main quest that hasn't been finished yet but it's only like one or two milestones away from being done

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
personally I don’t play crawl because I’ve been holding a grudge over the past eight years over this revert of a patch I submitted

megane
Jun 20, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

Since we're all aware that any time something annoying or tedious gets removed from any game, cock hero flux is going to jump in to whine about how it's destroying the meaning of fun in histrionic purple prose for a page and a half, maybe we should just apply the effects immediately and save the player some time

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Type o to autocomplain

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Wait, was he also the guy who started yelling when Qud removed some deeply tedious way of mutation scumming from unstable genome?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
This weekend I had a go at Crying Suns, a narrative space roguelike that absolutely grabbed me. It's not exactly a new game, probably at least a year old, but drat is it cool. A lot of the positives can just be explained by the presentation, which is gorgeous and consistent and does an incredibly job at really putting you in the scenario.

Gameplay is split between three main areas: overworld exploration where you use limited fuel amounts to explore various star systems, salvage fuel and scrap, planet exploration missions where differently-abled officers are sent down with your commandos to obtain resources (this is largely hands-off but there are certain decisions to make like who to send, when to retreat and how much loot vs. injured commandos to keep at the end), and starship battles based on summoning squadron units into the hex map and using your main weapons against the enemy's ship and squadrons.

The story is actually quite gripping, which is not the average for roguelikes, and the art, audio and general presentation matches the story incredibly well. The view out of the bridge window as you travel between planets and systems is so well done and cool to look at.

I'd heard that the game was too grindy and tough so I hadn't really played it at all but I'm glad I did. I'm only just through the first act but so far I adore this game. Anyone else played this one?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I did and liked the setting a lot, but the combat fell absolutely flat for me and I stopped playing

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Wait, was he also the guy who started yelling when Qud removed some deeply tedious way of mutation scumming from unstable genome?

No, and also perhaps we shouldn't whine about someone saying something we disagreed with 10 years ago.

(I thought it was also deeply tedious and it was good that they removed it, but that doesn't change that dumping all sins on him is lame.)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nowhere Prophet just pushed an update adding a starting draft mode as a run mod, alongside some other bits

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/681730/view/2996564740809894851

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

victrix posted:

Nowhere Prophet just pushed an update adding a starting draft mode as a run mod, alongside some other bits

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/681730/view/2996564740809894851

Is Nowhere Prophet good? A friend of mine hates it because of the cards being able to be permanently killed. Which just makes me think it'd be Rhapsody's favorite game ever.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

victrix posted:

I did and liked the setting a lot, but the combat fell absolutely flat for me and I stopped playing

This is largely my experience. Game looks and sounds great, plot is neat. But the grid combat bored me to tears after the second boss. It's very repetitive. I may actually watch some VODs of someone beating it for the story experience.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Play posted:

This weekend I had a go at Crying Suns, a narrative space roguelike that absolutely grabbed me. It's not exactly a new game, probably at least a year old, but drat is it cool. A lot of the positives can just be explained by the presentation, which is gorgeous and consistent and does an incredibly job at really putting you in the scenario.

Gameplay is split between three main areas: overworld exploration where you use limited fuel amounts to explore various star systems, salvage fuel and scrap, planet exploration missions where differently-abled officers are sent down with your commandos to obtain resources (this is largely hands-off but there are certain decisions to make like who to send, when to retreat and how much loot vs. injured commandos to keep at the end), and starship battles based on summoning squadron units into the hex map and using your main weapons against the enemy's ship and squadrons.

The story is actually quite gripping, which is not the average for roguelikes, and the art, audio and general presentation matches the story incredibly well. The view out of the bridge window as you travel between planets and systems is so well done and cool to look at.

I'd heard that the game was too grindy and tough so I hadn't really played it at all but I'm glad I did. I'm only just through the first act but so far I adore this game. Anyone else played this one?

I actually finished that game.
While the art and story is quite good, I found the gameplay to be very repetitive, and not very challenging once you got the hang of it. There also wasn't that much variation between the various zones.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

victrix posted:

I can agree with this, it is not scintillating combat... basically you just play rock paper scissors with the different squadrons while waiting for your weapons to load so you can chip off the health of the opposing battleship. One thing I do like about it though is that it is real time. It would be way more boring, even, if it were turn based.

I feel like they could've thought of a slightly better system for the combat. But the presentation is so strong, even the combat segments fit the overall vibe really well, so it's not too hard to ignore most times.

Broken Cog posted:

I actually finished that game.
While the art and story is quite good, I found the gameplay to be very repetitive, and not very challenging once you got the hang of it. There also wasn't that much variation between the various zones.

That's bad to hear as I've only played the first zone and beaten Mother, haven't even started the next ones. I was hoping they would be unique in certain ways.

It's very true though, it's primarily the art and story drawing me along, as well as the overall 'feel'. Rather than the pure gameplay, which is basically average at best

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kchama posted:

Is Nowhere Prophet good? A friend of mine hates it because of the cards being able to be permanently killed. Which just makes me think it'd be Rhapsody's favorite game ever.

I like it quite a bit, but I'm a huge sucker for the aesthetic and the music rules.

I think the deck attrition drove a lot of people away from it, if you want to make players hate your game, take away their toys, or even let them think they might lose their toys.

There's a good range of difficulties, unlocks, mutators and starting tribes to smooth things out. You need to play smart to go the distance, but I didn't feel like it was punitive about card loss, it's built into the reward structure and you have control over what you use and heal.

I'll leave comments about built in deck thinning for free out :v:

You can easily see if you'd like it inside the refund window.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

victrix posted:

I like it quite a bit, but I'm a huge sucker for the aesthetic and the music rules.

I think the deck attrition drove a lot of people away from it, if you want to make players hate your game, take away their toys, or even let them think they might lose their toys.

There's a good range of difficulties, unlocks, mutators and starting tribes to smooth things out. You need to play smart to go the distance, but I didn't feel like it was punitive about card loss, it's built into the reward structure and you have control over what you use and heal.

I'll leave comments about built in deck thinning for free out :v:

You can easily see if you'd like it inside the refund window.

Hmmm, okay, I'll give it a try then. Thanks!

EDIT: It turns out I bought it a long time ago and forgot I did.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 5, 2021

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Play posted:

I've beaten it too and I wouldn't say it's super tough. It does get kind of repetitive, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from finishing the story, which was excellent. At some point after they dropped a big update I tried playing it again, got like three fights in, and then realized that without the story to pull me along I just didn't have a lot of desire to do it.

The story and atmosphere are really good! I'd absolutely recommend it, but you probably won't get much more than a playthrough out of it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kchama posted:

EDIT: It turns out I bought it a long time ago and forgot I did.

modern PC gaming.txt

there are too many games these days

mostly a good problem, not so great in the multiplayer space

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

My impression of crying suns is that it was a shameless FTL clone where the only differences were much worse combat and a pointless RNG ground exploration mini game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

My impression of crying suns is that it was a shameless FTL clone where the only differences were much worse combat and a pointless RNG ground exploration mini game

I don't really see how it is like FTL at all, frankly. There is no gameplay in it that is remotely reminiscent of that game, no rooms on your ship, no crew members to control, etc. Very different tone and story type as well. Also a lot more slowly paced, more about longer terms strategy than moment to moment gameplay, of which there is very little.

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

I've beaten it too and I wouldn't say it's super tough. It does get kind of repetitive, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from finishing the story, which was excellent. At some point after they dropped a big update I tried playing it again, got like three fights in, and then realized that without the story to pull me along I just didn't have a lot of desire to do it.

The story and atmosphere are really good! I'd absolutely recommend it, but you probably won't get much more than a playthrough out of it.

If I manage a full playthrough I'll be more than pleased with that

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Play posted:

I don't really see how it is like FTL at all, frankly. There is no gameplay in it that is remotely reminiscent of that game, no rooms on your ship, no crew members to control, etc. Very different tone and story type as well. Also a lot more slowly paced, more about longer terms strategy than moment to moment gameplay, of which there is very little.

The “run away from a giant fleet by picking forking paths” thing is a wholescale rip, I remember other aspects being pretty blatant too like how you fit your ship out but it’s been a while since I played so I can’t really go into detail

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Play posted:

I don't really see how it is like FTL at all, frankly.

The devs themselves marketed their game in EA as "FTL, but more tactical". Their own words.

If the game's focus has shifted as they finished&polished the product that's fine, but I do remember seeing the grid combat in the demo and thinking "this sucks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In other happenings, Pathos landed at v6.6 for more spiritually-enhanced Nethack'ish wranglings as well as an experimental WebAssembly incarnation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathos_nethack/comments/odjgnb/pathos_66_is_released/

quote:

Hail Adventurers,

This release introduces 9 Specials to complement the existing 30 Classes and 15 Races. Play as a dwarf vampire priest, giant skeleton pirate, human noble paladin or an orc fugitive rogue. Each Special has unique advantages and disadvantages to make your adventures more interesting and challenging.

Colossus. Being unusually tall and heavy for your kind, you move a bit slower but are more resilient.

Fugitive. Whether innocent or guilty of their accused crimes, these individuals are desperate to escape custody.

Midget. Being unusually short and slight for your kind, you are more nimble but are not as effective in combat.

Noble. Aristocrats who enjoy all the privilege that comes with wealth and wonder why everyone hates them.

Protagonist. Main character syndrome has resulted in a reliance on plot armour but they are destined for a major reality check.

Scholar. Lifetime of study has focused your learning on books at the cost of other hobbies and fitness.

Skeleton. Somehow still alive, albeit without the flesh required to be truly living, this peculiar existence has some advantages.

Vampire. Forsaken creature that subsists by feeding on the vital essence of the living.

Werewolf. Forever cursed with lycanthropy, these beings can transform themselves into monstrous wolf forms.

Pathos now has a proof-of-concept web app written in WebAssembly. This web app has been designed for Chrome Desktop and is, currently, unlikely to work properly on any other browser. The main deficiency of this version is there is no support for saving settings and adventures.