Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

lol owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Makes sense; it takes time to encrypt giga/petabytes of data, 3 day weekend means one more day if your monitoring is “Bob in accounting can’t open payroll.xlsx.”

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

still love the car though

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

suck my woke dick posted:

still love the car though

Of course! They'll love it

TO DEATH

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1411692767495942153?s=20

https://twitter.com/RSAConference/status/1411480627455614991?s=20

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A little more context would be helpful.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

From a quick Googling, it looks like a perpetual motion guy who already ran their company into the ground somehow got an opportunity to hawk their baseless ideas on a blog for a cryptography conference by using a pseudonym.

https://www.wired.com/2009/12/orbo-strikes-back-perpetual-motion-machine-demonstrated/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steorn

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 4, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s taking the piss out of “blockchain technology”.

Put the article back up, cowards.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Based on the use of “perpetual motion,” someone is trolling.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
it reads like it was machine generated off of a terrible prompt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MickeyFinn posted:

In this case it's a true believer sort

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Tech Nightmares: We are not blaming an intern.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

MickeyFinn posted:

Yeah, the “perpetual motion” bit is taking the piss out of this very real and 100% serious article that RSA posted about replacing “the TCP/IP” with Bitcoin to stop credit card fraud

quote:

Today, virtually all the valuable companies in the world are Internet-driven, platform-based business models. Yet, despite the surge in popularity, the Internet has a serious fundamental flaw: the transmission control protocol/internet protocol (TCP/IP)—the primary engine underpinning the Internet—is less secure.

At the time TCP/IP architecture was unveiled, security was not a primary concern. As a packet-switched network, the Internet transmits data in chunks that traverse multiple endpoints before reaching their destination. The goal of TCP/IP was to transmit data, with security being much of an afterthought until SSL deployment in browsers years later.

But what is the solution?

Blockchain can eliminate the TCP/IP’s fundamental security flaws.
An important value of using Blockchain is allowing users—particularly those who do not need to trust one another—to share valuable information securely and transfer value in a tamper-proof manner. This is because Blockchain stores data using complex cryptography and extremely difficult protocols for attackers to manipulate.

What makes Bitcoin secure are two things: cryptographic protocols and consensus protocols. Bitcoin uses a cryptographic primitive called a hash for every transaction that users create on the network. You can think of a hash as a fingerprint for every transaction. Like a typical fingerprint, a hash is unique and takes many computational resources and time to generate initially. This makes cryptocurrency more secure than the Internet because these security features are built into the Blockchain decentralized protocol code itself. It’s not an afterthought like TCP/IP.

Because of these features, Blockchain is more secure than TCP/IP-based networks. But this does not mean it is entirely foolproof. In the past, several cryptocurrency exchanges such as Mt. Gox, EXMO and Cryptsy got hacked. But these were isolated instances where attackers hijacked the interfaces where Blockchains interact with the real world. The Blockchain itself was not hacked.

quote:

Rohan Hall is a 30-year veteran in the blockchain and DeFi space and a well-respected technologist who has built and implemented technology solutions for multiple Fortune 500 companies. Outside of his current role as CTO of RocketFuel Blockchain, he is a published author, technology advisor and regular presenter as a blockchain expert at various events including OMG, IESE, EU Commission, USC, UCI, IDEAS, SoCal Blockchain Event, LA Blockchain, Blockchain & Booze and other events in the USA and Europe.

Look up his “published author” bona fides on Goodreads for another laugh.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

"In the past, several cryptocurrency exchanges such as Mt. Gox, EXMO and Cryptsy got hacked. But these were isolated instances where attackers hijacked the interfaces where Blockchains interact with the real world. The Blockchain itself was not hacked."

Lmao

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

A "30 year veteran" in blockchain and decentralized finance? Sure, buddy. Sure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Karia posted:

Well, he was a thought leader, so he thought about it before it was even a thing, man...

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

"In the past, several cryptocurrency exchanges such as Mt. Gox, EXMO and Cryptsy got hacked. But these were isolated instances where attackers hijacked the interfaces where Blockchains interact with the real world. The Blockchain itself was not hacked."

Lmao

excuse you but it was the employees of the bank who were attacked. the bank vault itself and the dollar bills are still fully intact.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Alright I'm going to stray from news about buttcoin for a minute and throw this question out for debate:

Has the proliferation of social media, games, and maybe parasocial relationships made the world a worse place because it reduces the need to find friends irl?

I'm going to throw out at least 1 counterargument(s):

I think the most heinous and problematic example of people being distanced from irl social relationships are parasocial relationships. However, parasocial relationships already existed before the internet in the form of fans of celebrities, musical artists, tv shows, so on. The proliferation of video games, forums, and maybe even comment sections (as laughable as that sounds) have actually assuaged the problematic aspect of parasocial relationships to include other people in the experience of said relationship (if you understand what I'm saying I'm kind of high rn feel free to ask for clarification).

E: I'm changing "some" to "at least 1" because I only listed one duh. I may add other counterarguments (or perhaps supports) later. If the mods are cringing even at the idea probate me for being dumb.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Karia posted:

We finally found him, the guy that actually meets the hiring requirement HR added without asking anyone if it made sense!

no hay camino posted:

Alright I'm going to stray from news about buttcoin for a minute and throw this question out for debate:

Has the proliferation of social media, games, and maybe parasocial relationships made the world a worse place because it reduces the need to find friends irl?

No, because people still need actual in person human contact. Until Zuckerberg perfects the VR gently caress bot I think we're still going to meet each other.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Volmarias posted:

No, because people still need actual in person human contact. Until Zuckerberg perfects the VR gently caress bot I think we're still going to meet each other.

I think so too, irl human interactions and relationships are still far more beneficial than most online interactions

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

no hay camino posted:

I'm going to throw out at least 1 counterargument(s):

I think the most heinous and problematic example of people being distanced from irl social relationships are parasocial relationships. However, parasocial relationships already existed before the internet in the form of fans of celebrities, musical artists, tv shows, so on. The proliferation of video games, forums, and maybe even comment sections (as laughable as that sounds) have actually assuaged the problematic aspect of parasocial relationships to include other people in the experience of said relationship (if you understand what I'm saying I'm kind of high rn feel free to ask for clarification).

E: I'm changing "some" to "at least 1" because I only listed one duh. I may add other counterarguments (or perhaps supports) later. If the mods are cringing even at the idea probate me for being dumb.

I disagree with the bolded as being the negative outcome (probably more of a wash in my mind) but do think that the support structure you describe is bad because it allows people to get more heavily entrenched in that relationship, and through that a sort of alternate reality*, in a way/extent that I don't think really existed in the past because of tech/access barriers. I think the overall ease of access to the "celebrity", availability, and variety presented to people is also extremely bad, in the sense that not everyone is a gambling addict, but if you put slot machines in every classroom you're going to wind up with a lot more degenerate gamblers than you would if they had to seek it out and you'll probably get an increased number of extreme cases that society isn't equipped to manage. Some of this is Old Man Thoughts but I just find some of it very alien in a way I can't really grip.

*a lot of what I know on this topic comes from reading threads on SA, which I've been on for over 20 years, so I do appreciate the potential irony of my understanding of this topic being an alternate reality.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
One point I've seen is that the biggest difference is that people used to have parasocial relationships with big media personalities or stars, people who had managers, building security, assistants or interns to act as a buffer. Even though it failed, sometimes tragically, it was at least something of a layer. Now fairly small time people with no support staff are stuck dealing with these problems. They've got fan communities to manage, Twitter accounts to run all while trying to set boundaries. It's just kind of a mess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On the other hand, it's allowed people who had great difficulty finding friends due to social and material reasons to access a much wider group of people and connect with those who have commonalities and shared interests they might not otherwise find. Like say, neurodivergent and/or LGBTQ+ people who live in isolated and conservative areas. It's not like IRL social relationships were ever necessarily healthier or more 'normal'- or rather, that 'normal' was necessarily a good thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'd argue that the differences are overstated, generally speaking. Here's the secret: most of the people you refer to as "friends" IRL are more properly acquaintances anyway, in that they don't fulfil the role of "friend" in terms of being someone who you are emotionally "intimate" with for lack of a better word. So, what's the real issue then? Well, it's that it's generally more difficult for an online acquaintance to turn into a real friend than for an in-person acquaintance to turn into a real friend, so you might eventually run into problems where you feel lonely because you don't have that sort of intimate connection of friendship with anyone, while having many social needs still fulfilled.

But that's not to say you can't have a deeper friendship with someone online, or turn it from a purely online relationship to one where you meet in real life. You just have to be aware of the differences and maybe make a bit more of an effort to go beyond an acquaintanceship. And as others have pointed out, it's often easier for a lot of people to take that first step online, so overall I don't think it's a bad thing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm sure we'll have more interactions with general AI-controlled robots in the future, but for now they're quite far from being able to mimic real human behaviour:

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1411786856065290245

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

eXXon posted:

I'm sure we'll have more interactions with general AI-controlled robots in the future, but for now they're quite far from being able to mimic real human behaviour:

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1411786856065290245

You say that, buuut-

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1411807494817468420

And:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCQBUzFcUUo

I would argue he's as American as it gets.
Also, have you not seen Hulk Hogan's "I am a Real American"?

I mean, they practically invented "ostentatious patriotism"

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 5, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

America has successfully, spontaneously invented the thing that they think communist countries are.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PT6A posted:

America has successfully, spontaneously invented the thing that they think communist countries are.

Always was.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

PT6A posted:

The revolution will be in a Walmart.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The revolution will be in a Walmart.

People have been openly looting Walgreens during daylight hours

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Mister Facetious posted:

Should be Walmart. If your not stealing from Walmart you are stealing from your family.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

karthun posted:

Should be Walmart. If your not stealing from Walmart you are stealing from your family.

Agreed. It should be every business.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

PT6A posted:

This Is Joe Biden's America :ussr:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mister Facetious posted:

This has been the case for the past few years. I know this because I used to work at one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/bigendiansmalls/status/1412583168998350848?s=19

This is good, don't know how enforceable it'll be, but Right to Repair is a big deal to me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/bigendiansmalls/status/1412583168998350848?s=19

This is good, don't know how enforceable it'll be, but Right to Repair is a big deal to me.

It can be pretty enforceable, for making parts available to the public thats an easy one, most of those companies are going to have online presence, those parts better be up on the store or clearly violating

Software locks are easy enough to check and enforce on.

Making guides available is even easier, force them to be digitally uploaded.

This seems like an easy win for Biden to go with, and one the republican party would be stupid to oppose. (I am sure trump will come out against it somehow.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AtomikKrab posted:

This seems like an easy win for Biden to go with, and one the republican party would be stupid to oppose. (I am sure trump will come out against it somehow.)

Doesn't matter, Fox either won't report it, or will call it something like federal regulations killing jobs. The talking heads will claim that actually the GOP accomplished this, somehow, despite Biden's best efforts.

Normally it would be an excellent move, but we are now in Interesting Times.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Oh, they'll absolutely oppose it since it'll "kill" the jobs of the company's repairmen. See also: Medicare for All "killing" all the health insurance jobs. :qq:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Doggles posted:

Oh, they'll absolutely oppose it since it'll "kill" the jobs of the company's repairmen. See also: Medicare for All "killing" all the health insurance jobs. :qq:

PT6A posted:

Pointlessly inefficient make-work programs in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Doggles posted:

These insurance and pharmacy benefit management jobs are such an excruciating waste of money. You'd have to be so brain poisoned to think those parasitic industries are worth saving.