Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Agreed, but put on English voices. Despite being kind of creepy in affectation, you realize how dumb everything he's saying is.

Oh, I'll try that, thanks. It'll be a nice reprieve from TOTSUGEKI, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Skypie posted:

the 3f window to get my wakeup super is insanely tight and I miss it all the time, which irritates me since there's games I could've won by catching people out but instead of getting my invincible reversal super, I just wind up whiffing a normal and get clocked for it

I fell two floors last night but I've managed to climb back to 8.

Lol we are living the exact same life. Once I nail these wake up supers I'll be unstoppable.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I've been trying to embrace the :justpost: life more recently, so here it is: the absolute dumbest loving match I've played in this game. I played so horribly yet somehow my opponent played worse and the result had me actually laughing when I watched it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnidP3yJgh4

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Good on ArcSys though for inventing a walking parody of weeaboo culture who I can only imagine is tremendously popular amongst weebs.

Chipp might be the funniest character in the series. Dude just casually running along side Sols motorcycle and HCs sports car had me laughing. The way he shows up just casually hanging from the ceiling.

As an outsider to the franchise who just got into in strive and binged the story content I would never of guessed Chipp and Axl would be my favorite story characters from my first impressions of seeing a summary of the first GG.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Can someone clue me in on how to get past Nagoriyuki's constant barrage of slashes that zone out 75% of the screen? He just slowly moves to one side slashing at the entire screen.

I know he can be thrown between slashes, but if one connects it does 1-2 more hits automatically and I can't find the window to punish a whiff.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Alright, dropped down to 8 playing against a Ky and Leo among a few other people. Got back to 9 pretty fast but I feel like there's some matchups like that where the opponent doesn't have to know what they're doing and I can't actually do poo poo, because the players that kicked me down I didn't feel like were actually any good and just constantly mashing at all times.

I have a really hard time dealing with offensive pressure. Like I've gotten to the point where I sometimes do block the high when Leo backturns but he can just hit his buttons constantly and eventually I get hit, I don't really know how to get out of it. I take a lot of damage trying to super on wakeup too because it's so hard to properly reversal that input. With Ky it's just buttons into his flip where I never know how to actually get out of Ky doing that repeatedly. Also in that matchup I eat a ton of damage very stupidly loving up my flick input or doing flick on reaction to slow fireball, and then having the fireball be TOO slow and flick whiffing first, then getting counterhit by the fireball. When I do get a slidehead and can close the gap my oki just gets stuffed by the opponent mashing buttons on wakeup every time because I'm taking too much time to get too close with my HFB or I just don't do meaties correctly.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Depends on the opponent and what tools you have available. A decent nago may be mixing it up, but if they are quite literally just doing the same slash over and over again, my first instinct would be to bait it out with empty jumps/double jumps. Air block the slash, airdash punish any whiff as your opportunity in.

If the slash you're dealing with doesn't cover low to the ground, you might be able to go under it with certain moves.

Probably the best thing to do is boot up training mode, record nago, and experiment. You might find something cool and awesome!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does the game get locked in an unending loading screen for anyone else when you floor up? Keeps happening to me on playstation

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

FunkyFjord posted:

For countering throws out of blockchains I've just been fuzzying 2K.

This is probably a bad move at higher tiers of play and for more than a few characters but it's carrying me in mid tier play with I-no.

It's kinda legit since they're not blocking low if they're hammering throw usually

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Real hurthling! posted:

Does the game get locked in an unending loading screen for anyone else when you floor up? Keeps happening to me on playstation

Either I get the unending loading screen, or the game will keep me at the floor I'm at and neglect to tell me that I jumped a few floors until after I have reloaded the game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MechaX posted:

Either I get the unending loading screen, or the game will keep me at the floor I'm at and neglect to tell me that I jumped a few floors until after I have reloaded the game

See, I hate when it does that, because it doesn't just disadvantage the player it happens to. You can just continue stomping people beneath your level, and they can usually see your level (since most people use the floor badge), so it feels patently unfair.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Trying to F.D.B. Ky's fast projectile is usually not worth it in my experience. In that matchup I mostly rely on other options, like going over it with Megafist. I rarely remember F.D.B. exists, actually, since it's by far the most situational move on Pot's list.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Yeah everything about the lobbies is utter garbage. Actual matches are a dream but any time you're dealing with the server/matchmaking/lobby it's miserable bullshit.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Has anyone else had cases of weirdly asymmetric/inconsistent latency?
I have one specific friend who, whenever I was fighting him today, would be constantly seeing between 3-8 frames of rollback. But on my screen I saw him with only 1f rollback and had no issues.
We were in a player match room with ~5 people and neither of us had major connection issues with anyone else there -- we were cycling in and out since it was winner-stays-on.
Yes I'm on ethernet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I have one specific friend who, whenever I was fighting him today, would be constantly seeing between 3-8 frames of rollback. But on my screen I saw him with only 1f rollback and had no issues.
We were in a player match room with ~5 people and neither of us had major connection issues with anyone else there -- we were cycling in and out since it was winner-stays-on.
Yes I'm on ethernet.

Is he on wifi?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Andrigaar posted:

Can someone clue me in on how to get past Nagoriyuki's constant barrage of slashes that zone out 75% of the screen? He just slowly moves to one side slashing at the entire screen.

I know he can be thrown between slashes, but if one connects it does 1-2 more hits automatically and I can't find the window to punish a whiff.

https://youtu.be/1Y5NUmv2YbQ

Here is a view from the other side.

Any uncanceled blocked hit of the string is unsafe. It'd help if you said who you're playing as, since it's gonna depend a lot on what you have available.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 6, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Real hurthling! posted:

When the network is having issues, it's a crapshoot where exactly I get locked into. On a good day, the game is still in training mode and just stops trying to find a match without telling you. Sometimes you get stuck in a console and can't interact with the menus anymore. I haven't gotten stuck in a loading screen yet but it wouldn't surprise me if it's more of the same.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I was playing ranked drunk last time and today I woke up on floor 6. My enemies were not prepared.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Colorspray posted:

Probably the best thing to do is boot up training mode, record nago, and experiment. You might find something cool and awesome!

Tried this for a few. Even the training loop is a pain of fast slashes.

Faffel posted:

https://youtu.be/1Y5NUmv2YbQ

Here is a view from the other side.

Any uncanceled blocked hit of the string is unsafe. It'd help if you said who you're playing as, since it's gonna depend a lot on what you have available.

Still playing Sol. Generally they spam 5SSS and then wait, then either 5H or 5K to punish any forward movement, or just loop back to the start it since I can't find a way to push in unless they gently caress up their buttons.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Is there some way to turn off the gamepad vibration when you find a match (but before it's confirmed) in training mode? 80% of the time the match doesn't actually fire for reasons I don't understand, and the game makes it very clear when it does fire due to the whole "here comes daredevil" callout, so all the vibration really does is annoy me while I'm alt-tabbed and waiting to find a match.

Andrigaar posted:

Meanwhile none of my attacks ever connect and if you 5P me in the face the match is just loving over. Any pressure at all and I'm just done forever. I've had so many wall combos thrown in my face that I can't contest against at all, and that seem to take off anywhere from 50% to 80% of my health bar, by now I really don't know what to do anymore.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 6, 2021

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Andrigaar posted:

Tried this for a few. Even the training loop is a pain of fast slashes.

Still playing Sol. Generally they spam 5SSS and then wait, then either 5H or 5K to punish any forward movement, or just loop back to the start it since I can't find a way to push in unless they gently caress up their buttons.

5SSS is extremely punishable if they're not cancelling. If they're in your face and doing that you can just mash. Also if you're Sol don't be afraid to punish his whiffs. Nago recovers FOREVER when he whiffs f.S so you can airdash in or just 6S to challenge his buttons. If he's actually in your face and doing 5SS(whatever) close range pressure you just kind of have to defend or volcanic viper out. Wait until he pops his blood meter or has to back off and play pokey while it's nearly full.

Edit: By challenge his buttons I mean if he does f.S literally hit his sword it has a hurtbox.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 6, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nago's 5S is a pretty bad poke actually. Sol can whiff punish it with fS - Revolver and suddenly Nago is now hosed.

https://streamable.com/pdr4ng

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yes I'm on ethernet.

If you're on pc then that's your comp not being powerful enough for the rollback - given that some stages are considerably more demanding than others and most people have stages set to auto, that would explain why you're only seeing it with the one friend. I think Ramlethal is also a bit more demanding than the other characters, but the stages are probably the culprit here

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Waterfall of Salt posted:

If you're on pc then that's your comp not being powerful enough for the rollback - given that some stages are considerably more demanding than others and most people have stages set to auto, that would explain why you're only seeing it with the one friend. I think Ramlethal is also a bit more demanding than the other characters, but the stages are probably the culprit here

There was a chart on dustloop about that in particular, if you remember which stages seemed to be having the most trouble and want to see if it checks out: https://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGST/Miscellaneous#Stages

There are also some mods that make them less intensive if you want to go for that.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is there a good way to practice a character without getting thrown down a bunch of floors? I'm about a 5F right now, but wanted to mess with some characters and am getting thrown down when I inevitably lose.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Play in the Park. You can swap to the park on the floor select screen. It's also infinite rematch. I ran into plenty of people willing to go first to ten regardless of the win/loss record.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Practice against the CPU to simulate someone rushing you down like a crazy person

you learn what to press fast

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

poe meater posted:

Play in the Park. You can swap to the park on the floor select screen. It's also infinite rematch. I ran into plenty of people willing to go first to ten regardless of the win/loss record.

I wish the park allowed for character switching. Sometimes you get into a match with someone that's REALLY not very good and I'd like to play against them with a character I'm not good at instead of rematching 6 times in a row and destroying them

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Nago's 5S is a pretty bad poke actually. Sol can whiff punish it with fS - Revolver and suddenly Nago is now hosed.

https://streamable.com/pdr4ng

These are standard drawbacks of long buttons in GG: long whiff recovery and big extended hurtboxes. Nago can challenge Sol at basically fullscreen, but Sol can get in if Nago presses fS at the wrong time. If Sol tries to randomly fish for fS instead of doing it on reaction, Nago gets a (probably bigger) whiff punish combo. Also, if Sol is just hanging out at full screen trying to whiff punish fS, Nago can just walk forward to get meter and screen position.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the game's little spacing guide on each character in select is probably a huge thing for new players that they should highlight more.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dhamster posted:

These are standard drawbacks of long buttons in GG: long whiff recovery and big extended hurtboxes.

It's not a universal thing. None of the Nago's H buttons have that drawback.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jack Trades posted:

True, but he doesn't get as much off of 5H as he does f.S. f.S on block he can go into f.SS and gain a ton of space and threaten some nasty frame traps. It makes more sense that long range, high value pokes aren't safe to whiff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im standing here watching may and pot play mirrors with other mays and pots after declining to play my anji.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So what's an Axl's game plan against a Chipp? It feels like he's just faster than every single one of my buttons, I get stomped by one every time they turn up.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

You don't really want to whiff those moves either, they have 50f+ total duration (comparable to a fireball). Not every big poke leaves an extended hurtbox but it's super common, and is usually baked into the move's risk-reward. For instance if you told me that Faust's f.S in Xrd was a bad poke because you could whiff punish it, I would be very confused.

Jack Trades posted:

My point wasn't that you shouldn't poke with Nago's fS, my point was that you should use it sparingly because you can get hosed for it.

e: Yeah, I agree with that. It's important to not press the button, sometimes.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 6, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dhamster posted:

You don't really want to whiff those moves either, they have 50f+ total duration (comparable to a fireball). Not every big poke leaves an extended hurtbox but it's super common, and is usually baked into the move's risk-reward. For instance if you told me that Faust's f.S in Xrd was a bad poke because you could whiff punish it, I would be very confused.

Faust's fS has 18f of recovery, which is not reactable. Nago's fS has 28 frames of recovery, which is very reactable.

My point wasn't that you shouldn't poke with Nago's fS, my point was that you should use it sparingly because you can get hosed for it.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

https://www.vg247.com/2021/07/06/guilty-gear-strive-cross-play-verification/

Cross play is coming soon, hopefully populations stay high but this will be a nice boost for console players as time goes on.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ya both 5h and 2h are like -30 on whiff and leave half the screen open for you to take advantage of you have time to eat a snack and still be able to run up/iad whatever

and poking with 5s is totally a terrible habit which like 80% of the cast can punish badly either by whiff punishing, iad, or low profiling. any inexperienced nago can be easily conditioned to stick out 5s just by walking back and forth out of range. ofc when he has 2 blood things get more complicated but at that point he cant do most of his frame traps without popping anyway

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Keegers posted:

Cross play is coming soon, hopefully populations stay high but this will be a nice boost for console players as time goes on.

if true this is absolutely incredible news and makes me very happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Keegers posted:

Now they only need to make lobbies not suck absolute rear end and the game will be pretty much perfect.