Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Darthemed posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man Family #5 (2009)
Pencils: Ron Frenz
Inks: Sal Buscema

Captain Courageous Comics #6 (1942)
Pencils/Inks: Unknown

Jungle Action #1 (1972)
Pencils/Inks: Syd Shores

Our Flag Comics #5 (1942)
Pencils/Inks: George Mandel

Thing that bothers me most about all these is the coloring. The old ones were limited by printing processes and color registration issues on cheap paper but that first one bugs me the most. I hate that gradient airbrush look that so many modern colorists use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Fish Of Doom posted:

The Galactus Christmas Special

Earth's Biggest Cubs Fan

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Keromaru5 posted:

I think that's actually Johnny; he's the one they send into Galactus' ship to get the Ultimate Nullifier.

No, that page is from "This Man, This Monster" and Reed is diving into the Negative Zone for the first time while a jealous scientist who has stolen Ben's powers is getting ready to murder Reed.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange Tales #94 (1962)
Pencils/Inks: Steve Ditko

Strange Tales #95 (1962)

Strange Tales #97 (1962)
Pencils: Jack Kirby
Inks: Dick Ayers

Strange Tales #97 (1962)

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 8, 2021

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

The Mladness

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ghost Manor #36 (1978)
Pencils/Inks: Sanho Kim

Warlock #11 (1976)
Pencils: Jim Starlin
Inks: Steve Leialoha

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Strange Tales #97 (1962)

Correction that's Kirby not Ditko, same issue.

Darthemed posted:

Strange Tales #97 (1962)
and in this one, two of the main characters are Uncle Ben and Aunt May they've kidnapped Linda Brown

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 8, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some more cool Thorgal covers:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Steve Ditko never much grabbed me aside from some of his Dr. Strange stuff and even then. I don't know.

His storytelling is great. You can tell what's happening on a page without any word balloons at all but I never found his panels to be particularly dynamic in a way that just leapt off the page like Kirby's or Eisner's stuff does. Everything is kind of of straight on, ground level, 90 degree angle composition and he never rarely seems to break up his compositions within the panels or suggest a lot of depth, although he uses zooms pretty well. His work reminds me of the ways older movies used to be filmed where they usually looked like plays more than movies (because they kind of were and were shot that way).

I know he was a pioneer and all that and I'm not calling him poo poo by any means. There seems to be a noticeable difference in his work with different inkers too, which is true for a lot artists even now. And I always have to remind myself how much more difficult it must have been to draw anything at all during his heyday since reference material and photos were pretty hard to come by.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't have MU anymore to go through old issues on my phone but one thing I can remember off the top of my head is the famous sequence of Spider-Man lifting the machinery off himself in If This Be My Destiny...! The panel size starts off tight and claustrophobic and gets bigger the more he frees himself.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And a couple of two-page pin-ups.

Giant-Size Defenders #1 (1974)
Pencils/Inks: Sal Buscema

Duckman #1 (1994)
Pencils/Inks: Everett Peck

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Thing that bothers me most about all these is the coloring. The old ones were limited by printing processes and color registration issues on cheap paper but that first one bugs me the most. I hate that gradient airbrush look that so many modern colorists use.

Agreed. The gradient airbrush coloring trend is absolutely hideous. The uncolored lines would be far more appealing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Spider Man issue 4

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Arguably not an art issue, but I just finished up reading the 2001 run of Exiles, and that poor series was just plagued by lettering/text errors. Here are a few of the more striking ones.

Exiles #1 (2001)
Lettering: Sharpefont, Paul Tutrone

Exiles #5 (2001)
Lettering: Sharpefont, Paul Tutrone

Exiles #12 (2002)
Lettering: Paul Tutrone
Each of those boxes by a character is supposed to have some info on who they are. Also, Deadpool's speech balloon.

Exiles #70 (2005)
Lettering: Dave Sharpe

Exiles #86 (2006)
Lettering: Dave Sharpe

And it even persisted into the follow-up series.

New Exiles #9 (2008)
Lettering: Tom Orzechowski

On a different note, very important to include these rear end details in this corpse-bearing scene.

Exiles #83 (2006)
Pencils: Casey Jones
Inks: Vince Russell

And... this.

New Exiles #2 (2008)
Pencils/Inks: Michael Golden

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Almost all of the lettering issues there are a result of being digitized. They aren't like that in the original issues or the trades.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This threw me for a second

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Absolutely begging for a Batman-style Dick Butt edit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

This threw me for a second

Nice of Magneto to not remove the claw sheaths when he was yanking the rest of the metal out of Wolverine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Nice of Magneto to not remove the claw sheaths when he was yanking the rest of the metal out of Wolverine.

That's because they're part of his gloves

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're just metalised plastic, he wasn't interested in aluminium.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

goatface posted:

They're just metalised plastic, he wasn't interested in aluminium.

Plastic doesn't make any sense. Logan would tear right through those. Magneto probably just left them there to gently caress with him.

I posted that picture because when I first looked at it, all I could see was a balding on top freak with a weird sort of mutated melting face and a big nose, plus a post it note taped to his forehead or under his skin. But I guess all those EXTREME 90's horizontal hatches are supposed to suggest form in a way that's clearly the underside of a neck.

Adding more lines = better.

Sincerely,
The 90's

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
What's the deal with his mane? '90s look, or part of the post-trauma regeneration?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wasn't that when he was getting hairier and more feral which means his nose disappears?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Push El Burrito posted:

Wasn't that when he was getting hairier and more feral which means his nose disappears?

I think that was later. But not by much.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ragle Gumm posted:

What's the deal with his mane? '90s look, or part of the post-trauma regeneration?

Logan's hair was getting progressively more and more extreme until Hugh Jackman made it okay for artists to tone it down. In the 90s it was often hard to imagine him being able to walk through a doorway.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Logan's hair was getting progressively more and more extreme until Hugh Jackman made it okay for artists to tone it down. In the 90s it was often hard to imagine him being able to walk through a doorway.

Numerous covers of Marvel Comics Presents by Sam Keith with Logan looking like a reindeer just went flashing through my head.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Numerous covers of Marvel Comics Presents by Sam Keith with Logan looking like a reindeer just went flashing through my head.

Sam Keith would have made him look like that anyway, to be fair. Even if you commissioned him to draw a picture of Hugh Jackman the actual human being, he would give him those insane hair wings.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ragle Gumm posted:

EXTREME Wolverine!!!

I mean even more than usual

There's a documentary on Amazon Prime about Christ Claremont I can recommend and it touches on how in the 90's the new wave of artists (Liefeld, Lee, etc.) basically took over the writing by refusing to draw the stories that Claremont wrote. It's about an hour long and I enjoed it well enough.

Say what you will about Claremont (I've heard he's problematic) but Marvel really hosed him over if you ask me after 15 years of taking a nothing comic and making it into Marvel's lynch pin title.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Claremont has his ups and downs but I wouldn't really say "problematic". His work is extremely horny, but typically not in a bad way. It's more just like, the X-Men will get turned into dragons or babies at a higher rate of frequency than you might normally expect.

He's also essentially the cornerstone of the entire X-Men canon after the early 70s. His run on Uncanny is what almost all modern X-Men stories are built on, and it holds up very well to a modern reader.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He did have that problem where he forgot comic books are a visual medium so he would write people saying what they were doing at all times.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think that's modality of the times as much as anything else. Decompression and minimal narration are popular now, but they aren't necessarily better than having lots of words on the page.

Claremont could over-egg the narration (and in his 90s and 2000s era returns to the property, he often did) but usually it was an effective tool for telling a complicated story in a short span of time. He turned the X-Men into a melodrama, something it's thrived on being ever since, and he did that in large part through overwrought thought bubbles and narration boxes, describing the inner lives of the cast, peppered all over the book.

The "Wolverine leaping, claws extended, while speaking three paragraphs" thing isn't really Claremont so much, more the early 90s heirs to the X-Men who took over from him when he left. He definitely did it sometimes, but it wasn't as frequent as it became.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
so busy,so ugly.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Well you HAVE to have the cigarette holder because otherwise how will you know it's the Red Skull

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

really nice image totally ruined by some pouty woman in the lower left.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

DICK PAWNCH!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

so busy,so ugly.

That shade near his hand makes it look like the top of his head is coming off.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Another terrible Red skull drawing

kinda love this

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

so busy,so ugly.

"No-one look at my giant forehead please".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

so busy,so ugly.

This is also how the employee newsletter captioned a picture of me.

"Phew! It's hard work destroying the capitol!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

“Hey bone brain,dont you know only losers smoke?”

…

“….He’s a what now?”