Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

see i would just take the normal gold instead of the digital gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Twitter is roasting this guy better than I could
https://twitter.com/willrayner__/status/1413232904562425861?s=21

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

I'm sorry that happened to you

Thank you. It was everything I expected so at least it only hurt a little.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

And what manner of coin be this, sirrah? Say - here's fun - pray tell, hath anyone thought ere now to call it "buttcoin"?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Splicer posted:

I'm not saying he ripped things word for word. I never bothered word searching posts in his games but anyone who has read these threads since 2011 or so has seen the internal narrative develop. Hundreds of people have crowdsourced some really good jokes and riffs on bitcoin.

This guy wants to be the salesman of that information and claim the lols as his own that's fine, just don't be desperate enough to bring it back here for a few extra clicks.

The equivalent would be someone from the Starcitizen thread selling a game filled with japes and bon mots the people there developed through tens of thousands of posts. I'm sure the time they paid $20,000 for a functional space door in their office and lied about it would be an interesting tidbit for a game. There were still like 50 people involved in discovering and figuring this poo poo out. If the end result of that is five years later one singular rear end in a top hat wants to claim he alone is responsible for knowing all of these weird and unique interesting things while also doing this bit where he got it? nah.

source u r quotes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

source u r quotes

they did, far too late, and now everything's ruined :colbert:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress

well does anyone have links to satoshi's other games this is the first ive heard about them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A jest not plainest to intuit.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
http://www.beepboopbitcoin.com/

here smoke yourself some weasel dust

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

there is no way this is not a joke. it can't not be.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

infernal machines posted:

he hasn't responded to people calling it stupid but there are people there acting like it's a joke

therefore probably not a joke

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's just way too perfectly mocking bitcoiners, and too obviously absurd. the only other possibility is that man is god's perfect idiot.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

same could be said of bitcoin since its inception and yet here we are

mods

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
https://twitter.com/Plinz/status/1413162032786862082

looks like he's defending it so....it's real?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
quoting balijis, and not to make fun of him. shameful coiners.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

https://twitter.com/Plinz/status/1413162032786862082

looks like he's defending it so....it's real?

i'm nuclear power, the cheap renewable energy source

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

holy poo poo the next tweet in that balajis thread is amazing

https://twitter.com/balajis/status/1369564581018832898

if our energy use per capita isn't growing exponentially forever then obviously we're doing everything wrong

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

that looks like an asymptotic curve to me

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Bitcoin is literally the only thing that can help us consume all the energy in the universe by December 31, 2049, otherwise this graph by some guy 100 years ago might be wrong

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

look at this child labor graph extrapolation from the industrial revolution

we need to reach those goals

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boxturret posted:

that looks like an asymptotic curve to me

as energy consumption approaches infinity then we'll have near-infinite economic output, duh

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
HOWS IS BITCOIN A BATTERY

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ZeusCannon posted:

it is because he said it is, and now the onus is on you to disprove it, which he will never acknowledge

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

you mine the bitcoin with the energy then you send the bitcoin somewhere else and buy energy with the bitcoin, just like a battery!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol the ol' abusive parent logic in action, gotta make it painful so they learn you see

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what if the Voynich Manuscript was a guy who went back in time with butts and someone tried to copy down his insane scrawlings

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

lol the ol' abusive parent logic in action, gotta make it painful so they learn you see

maybe that's the "battery" he means. :ohdear:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Alan Smithee posted:

what if the Voynich Manuscript was a guy who went back in time with butts and someone tried to copy down his insane scrawlings

careful, you might start a new technical analysis trend

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ah well the voynich manuscript sucks now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

you see, you can use it to turn energy like solar power (that's available when it's not peak times, or in areas where people don't live) into money, and then use the money to buy more expensive power later during peak times and in more populated areas. exactly like a battery.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

^^ that's literally the exact argument i've seen on twitter from multiple people by the way

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Ah well the voynich manuscript sucks now

hey now, let's not say anything we can't take back

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

^^ that's literally the exact argument i've seen on twitter from multiple people by the way

Christ these people are stupid

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Clockwerk posted:

Christ these people are stupid

:agreed:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

you just have to think about it alchemically: electricity can start fires since electricity is often made by harnessing heat, therefore electricity is storing heat, like a battery

the same is true for bitcoin

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Boxturret posted:

you mine the bitcoin with the energy then you send the bitcoin somewhere else and buy energy with the bitcoin, just like a battery!!

I mean, it's an economic battery because it's an endlessly circulating pool of dead value extracted from the environment and labor, never to be returned to productive use or those who created it, but uh......

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
a bitcoin is a store of energy, in that you can light the paper with the qr code on fire and it will burn for a few moments of warmth

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

Paladinus posted:

I hold the copyright to the following words:
- Bluntcoin
- Beetcoin
- Botcoin
- Biltcloin
- Biitcoiin
- Bartcoin
- Tiboinc

You will have to pay 1 bitcoin to use any of them in your game.
No objections re other words.

Paladinus posted:

But also, seriously, good luck with the game. It looks even more ambitious than the clicker game that had a full-blown parody of Monkey Island in it.
I can't make any promises about the coin names. There's random altcoin name generator for when one of the player roles gets access to the Block Lodge...which looks kinda like the Velvet Room back when the Velvet Room looked like the Red Room after a palette swap ...where a mysterious man who speaks in ROT13 grants you the ability to turn your bitcoins into alt coins via a process known as coin fission. The name generator uses an opensouce words.txt as input and produces "real" altcoin names on occasion as well.

As far as the game being ambitious...it's certainly bigger if nothing else. The first game was around 2k LOC not counting comments and imported libraries. The second was around 20k. This one is around 130k so far. Some of the roles are very small and lightweight but some are bigger than the entire previous game...in terms of code complexity as well as things like art and assets. The full-blown parody of Monkey Island, is only two screens total. It gets a kinda/sorta sequel, "LeMark's Revenge" that's almost as big as all of bitcalc.

Which is all why it's taken so long to roll this thing out. I've spent more time refactoring poo poo to make it more manageable than I spent on any of the previous games.

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

Winged Orpheus posted:

I hope a key item is hidden under a birdbath, and you'd never think to check there if it weren't for the dozen notes written by the coiner who hid it exclaiming what a genius they are for hiding it under the birdbath
I can confirm the existence of a bird bath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Maybe the Codex Gigas scribe was just the Satoshi of his time.