Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

went for a walk

this is extremely good, obviously. it’s probably been asked and answered, but where is this??

are you somewhere super north? canada? the moon???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

its obviously a nvidia tech demo

real nature like this does not exist anymore

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

That is snow lake in the enchantments, in western washington

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

went for a walk

these are incredible

i went beach

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

thanks postin' pal, i like your beach

went for another walk. hell yeah work sucks

took a shower in a waterfall in a snow cave :allears:

*photos not mine DO NOT STEAL bill clinton internet act of 1999 if ur a cop get out

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i went on a hike to a lake yesterday and smoked see weed there. Tomorrow I'm gonna go try to sail my kayak

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

thanks postin' pal, i like your beach

went for another walk. hell yeah work sucks

took a shower in a waterfall in a snow cave :allears:

*photos not mine DO NOT STEAL bill clinton internet act of 1999 if ur a cop get out

incredible again!

beach was freezing. middle of winter. sand frozen lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i did the sailing

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:hmmyes:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

:hai:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

finally using the hammock i got a while ago

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

put a banana in it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

please do not take photos of my house and put them on the internet.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

can i come over

that looks rad

ill bring poodle jones and you can pet him

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Ansible Adams posted:

please do not take photos of my house and put them on the internet.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
bump

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I feel like with the number of times I just feel like throwing myself out a window in tech this thread would be a sticky.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

PIZZA.BAT posted:

finally using the hammock i got a while ago

hammocks are ammazing, but my butt gets really cold in them, I heard it's good and cheap to use heavy blanket under sleeping bag, can't wait to sleep in mine again because, sleeping in one with light rain hitting the tarp is amazing experience

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

get an underquilt, it's a hammock that goes under your hammock to keep your hammock warm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000475603129.html

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
been canoeing and hammocking around some lakes recently and i was sad when we got back to base camp and used our big tent because i slept much better in my hammock

i just use a thermarest and a normal sleeping bag in my hammock but i haven't done any winter hammocking yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you guys get sandflies/blackflies etc much in north america?

I really like the west coast of nz for its nature but god drat are the bugs insane

quote:

At their worst, in the most intense sandfly-ridden spots of the West Coast, entomologists have recorded a bite rate of up to 1000-an-hour. In a couple of minutes, that could be hundreds of little bites, on your arms, neck, face, feet.

e: just thinking about hammocking and exposure to bities

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

https://youtu.be/f389hIxZAOc

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

I really like the west coast of nz for its nature but god drat are the bugs insane

e: just thinking about hammocking and exposure to bities

around where i live it's mostly mosquitos or horseflies/deerflies. i really hate mosquitos but horseflies might be worse. i was on a river and one about the size of my thumbnail took a big fat bite out of the back of my neck

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
i ignore this thread as i grew up in nature and never think of walking back out into it, my dad is probably out there waiting to hit me

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

PokeJoe posted:

get an underquilt, it's a hammock that goes under your hammock to keep your hammock warm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000475603129.html

is this one any good? All underquilts that were recommended are like 100$ so that's why I wanted to just use cheap blanket, but I would prefer to use one of this but somewhere under 50$ because I don't camp that often

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

colorado is almost bug free. as soon as we moved here we never saw a flea again on a cat. there are no mosquitoes. worst we get are spiders and the occasional tick (lyme is a thing to think about here)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

RustyKnight posted:

is this one any good? All underquilts that were recommended are like 100$ so that's why I wanted to just use cheap blanket, but I would prefer to use one of this but somewhere under 50$ because I don't camp that often

if you're not worried about ultralight poo poo / packing it into a stuff sack the size of a vienna sausage, you can make a pretty good DIY one from an inexpensive wool blanket. that poo poo will keep you toasty

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

RustyKnight posted:

i've never used an expensive one so idk how it compares but it's been fine for me. i've napped in it while it's been in the in the 50s and it was good enough w a blanket on top of me

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
where i was camping this last week we had horseflies, midges, and above all a tonne of mosquitoes. but you can get hammock insect nets that work great, and just let the gentle hum of thousands of mosquitoes centimetres from your face lull you to sleep

my poor doggo got bitten really badly when she slept outside on the first night, here she is in the morning with her face starting to puff up as a result. after that she slept in a hammock with bug net too and quickly made a full recovery

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
that’s a good dog!

we hiked the dog out to the creek in the greenbelt to swim today:

https://twitter.com/kwinkles/status/1414302960197251072?s=21

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that dog looks like it'd poo poo in the kitchen right in the middle of a dinner party c/d

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

that dog looks like it'd poo poo in the kitchen right in the middle of a dinner party c/d

our dog buttercup? she’s from the fort worth animal shelter, and she’s great. she’s about 5, we cleared up the heartworms and now she’s getting most of her hair back. she takes solid poops now and has zero bladder infections and zero yeasty ears, which is a first for her as far as we know.

here she is the first day out of the pound.

and 10 lbs heavier and a lot healthier:

she’s still pretty scared of water in general so she wouldn’t go across that waterfall without getting a hot dog chunk or three.

also super housebroken, which is the best part about adopting an older dog imo. she’s done one pee in the house but it was basically diagnostic of a bladder infection. she’s got a move where she’ll sidle up to the big metal toolbox and start banging her tail on it like a gong to wake you up for walkies.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 12, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats cool, hell yeah. sounds like a p good dog.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

RustyKnight posted:

with light rain hitting the tarp is amazing experience

fyi https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/campingRainNoiseGenerator.php

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have to take care to not ride my motorcycle in light rain because the sound of rain drops pitter patter on the helmet is _exactly_ like its falling on the tent and its super narcotic

i love it so much

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

went outside again and dropped a friend off at the beginning of the PCT near the canadian border

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
very excellent

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i have to take care to not ride my motorcycle in light rain because the sound of rain drops pitter patter on the helmet is _exactly_ like its falling on the tent and its super narcotic

i love it so much

it's quite lovely on an aluminum airplane wing too

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGEtRYse070

Bump. Not often we get good weather like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011