Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Infinitum posted:

Lock down HARD for a week. Only things open are the bare minimum - supermarkets, pharmacies, takeaway only in restaurants.

Temporary jobkeeper support from federal government to ease the pain.

"Essential worker" = "You have a job"

Which means I am going back to work tomorrow, even though my job can be done remotely, if I want to keep getting paid.

It's hosed.

A week is cute, retreading the greatest hits of the UK hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Lock down HARD for a week. Only things open are the bare minimum - supermarkets, pharmacies, takeaway only in restaurants.

Which means I am going back to work tomorrow, even though my job can be done remotely, if I want to keep getting paid.

It's hosed.

You're hosed for a Stage 4, because that was a Labour initiative and Gladys has spent the past year badmouthing Dan's supposedly-draconian techniques to handle the pandemic. If she uses them now she'll look bad, and we can't have that, can we?

tithin posted:

A week is cute, retreading the greatest hits of the UK hey

Hell, they're retreading Melbourne this time last year only with a hot new flavour of spicy cough that's even more popular. My metric would be six weeks hard lockdown, minimum if all went perfectly, to crush this fuckup; Two weeks for the existing cases to pop, another two for the secondary cases to go (in-house with the primaries and accidental contacts), and another two to pick up any outliers.

If you did just a week, you'll have everyone going out like nothing happened and spreading things round again because ~ThE LoCdOwN iS oVeR!~

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Sydney's east, representin'

https://twitter.com/ijmullen/status/1414419056304685057

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Just got home from my second Pfizer hit, so we'll see how that goes. Got a cola Chupa Chup out of it, so that's a win already.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I can honestly say that when I was out and about in the west this morning I only saw two people without masks. One was a child, and so exempt. The other may well have had a legitimate exemption.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1414430137060192256?s=19

God this guy's a oval office

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I loathe him even more than I loathe Scomo. It's only a matter of time before he launches an attempted coup within the NLP.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lolie posted:

I loathe him even more than I loathe Scomo. It's only a matter of time before he launches an attempted coup within the NLP.

Isn't that how we ended up with scomo in the first place, the potato couldn't count and hosed up his leadership spill against turnbull, so we all ended up with the minister for hillsong as the pm

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

tithin posted:

Isn't that how we ended up with scomo in the first place, the potato couldn't count and hosed up his leadership spill against turnbull, so we all ended up with the minister for hillsong as the pm

Yep.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

got the AZ, no chupa chup and not even a sticker. still!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I mean Pfizer was always going to say this because they know who pays them.

But I'd bet a ball that the Libs contacted them and demanded they release this statement.

Now we just wait for Rudd to release a video of him having dinner with the Pfizer execs and one saying, "Thanks Kev, without you we never would have sent those other 10million doses. Australia owes you a huge debt given that the Australian government hasn't made any effort to contact us for months."

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The statement doesn't contradict anything in the article about KRudd

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
That Pfizer statement which isn't attributed to anyone in particular says nothing about delivery of doses being rolled forward. Hmmm.

In other news, Victoria is giving the first 60,000 people to register their Myki $10.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bowmore posted:

The statement doesn't contradict anything in the article about KRudd

The PM's earlier statement was also worded very very carefully to look like it was completely dismissing Rudd's claims without actually contradicting any of them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lolie posted:

That Pfizer statement which isn't attributed to anyone in particular says nothing about delivery of doses being rolled forward. Hmmm.

In other news, Victoria is giving the first 60,000 people to register their Myki $10.

https://twitter.com/juliancarter/status/1414431552411365378

Sounds like maybe they got Pfizer Australia to talk out their rear end while Kevin Rudd talked to Pfizer USA.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One of these things is not like the other!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
A 72 year old woman has died from AZ-related blood clots. No-one is going to be eligible to receive it at this rate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The PM's earlier statement was also worded very very carefully to look like it was completely dismissing Rudd's claims without actually contradicting any of them

That's what makes it even funnier.

So when the inevitable evidence of Rudd moving things along comes out, the LNP and Mr Potatohead can all try to roll it back and just look like even bigger idiots.

It's the big brain political thinking you'd find in a children's show where the baddies are frightening but also very stupid.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's what makes it even funnier.

So when the inevitable evidence of Rudd moving things along comes out, the LNP and Mr Potatohead can all try to roll it back and just look like even bigger idiots.

It's the big brain political thinking you'd find in a children's show where the baddies are frightening but also very stupid.

I don't think we need much more proof than this PDF:

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/20987041/sm_bourla.pdf

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

got the AZ, no chupa chup and not even a sticker. still!

Lolie posted:

A 72 year old woman has died from AZ-related blood clots. No-one is going to be eligible to receive it at this rate.

:tif:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I was curious about AZ blood clots cause the UK has a big roll-out right?

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/astrazeneca-covid-vaccine#astraclot posted:

Up to 30 June there were 399 reports of people developing rare blood clots which were linked to low platelet levels after receiving a first dose of the Oxford/ AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK. 
Blood clots after the vaccine are rare. These 399 cases of blood clots are after an estimated 24.6 million first doses, and 21.5 million second doses of the vaccine. Of the 399 people who developed blood clots, 71 died.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Heads up to Brisbane goons my knee is acting up. Seems like there's going to be some rain today. Take in your washing early.

Nailed it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Aware posted:

The doctor told me you’re as likely to get a clot and die from this as you are from lightning, and you’re more likely to get a clot on a plane ride or long car trip.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aware posted:

The problem is they can't accurately predict who's going to roll snake-eyes on that vaccine and become one of those 400-odd unlucky cases, so there's an (admittedly very low) chance of anyone getting a bad reaction. The more serious concern is out of those 399 cases nearly a quarter of them died. They closest they've gotten is "anyone under 50 is more at risk".

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This went up on Kevin Rudd's Facebook a bit ago.

Read the whole thing

:iceburn:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Raged posted:

Read the whole thing

Shots loving fired.

The lead up to the next election is getting very entertaining.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Raged posted:

Read the whole thing

god drat that chaos dunk at the end. Holy poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raged posted:

Read the whole thing

Wow, they lead with the expected nice passive-aggressive middle-finger, and right at the end they take a hard right turn into a brutal political murder to rival that of Caesar. :magical:

I look forward to seeing Scomo trip on a rake trying to spin this one. I bet he just hides for another couple of weeks. Again.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

we won't see Morrison until next monday at the absolute earliest after that

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

well why not posted:

we won't see Morrison until next monday at the absolute earliest after that

ATAGI is meeting and expected to change its AZ guidelines. If they do, Scomo won't resist the urge to gloat about being right and the Qld premier being wrong.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is they can't accurately predict who's going to roll snake-eyes on that vaccine and become one of those 400-odd unlucky cases, so there's an (admittedly very low) chance of anyone getting a bad reaction. The more serious concern is out of those 399 cases nearly a quarter of them died. They closest they've gotten is "anyone under 50 is more at risk".

I didn't add my own thoughts because I dont really have any or could go either way.

On the one hand the sample size is approximately the same as Australia's entire population and 71 deaths is quite small, on the other hand Australia isn't in the UKs position (yet) with the virus running absolutely unchecked and thus the risk is totally acceptable in their case.

I guess if we head that way then I'm for smashing out the AZ everywhere to everyone, but I'm hoping we can hold out a bit longer and get more Pfizer in.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

https://twitter.com/fart/status/1414475357504237569?s=21

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Infinitum posted:

It's hosed.

As long as there is 'meaningful' work, in nsw you are essential.

Im customer service (library) my entire job revolves around helping customers.
Libraries closed so who am i helping?

Meaningful work = taking books off the shelf, wiping shelf, putting books back.
Do we do this normally? gently caress no.

I then get told they dont like me coming in by train.

At least we finally got told not to come in this week because holy gently caress 112 new cases.
GOLD STANDARD!!!!

And im trying to get vaccinated. Earliest im getting in late september

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Raged posted:

Read the whole thing

:lmao::lmao:

I literally did a spit take at the end there.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

So, can someone explain to me:

If Australia (in their glorious panic of now deciding that they ACTUALLY need vaccines) is lobbying Pfizer to get vaccines faster: at the sake of other countries in the world who were already in the queue for those vaccines?

I did read some statement, in the last couple days of over-reading too much information, that someone from pfizer said something along the lines of "Australia doesn't get to jump the queue over the rest of the world because they planned poorly to secure vaccines when they had the option to do so"

Anyone got any info on this?

Mne nravitsya fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 12, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's cause our government is loving useless, hth.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Mne nravitsya posted:

So, can someone explain to me:

If Australia (in their glorious panic of now deciding that they ACTUALLY need vaccines) is lobbying Pfizer to get vaccines faster: at the sake of other countries in the world who were already in the queue for those vaccines?

I did read some statement, in the last couple days of over-reading too much information, that someone from pfizer said something along the lines of "Australia doesn't get to jump the queue over the rest of the world because they planned poorly to secure vaccines when they had the option to do so"

Anyone got any info on this?

Skimming them from places where their vaccination programs are slowing to the point of oversupply like the US is my guess.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pretty happy I'm getting my Pfizer jab tomorrow

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

well why not posted:

The doctor told me you’re as likely to get a clot and die from this as you are from lightning, and you’re more likely to get a clot on a plane ride or long car trip.

worth pointing out that DVT is an entirely different type of blot clot than the type caused by the AZ and has a much lower mortality rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

NPR Journalizard posted:

Pretty happy I'm getting my Pfizer jab tomorrow

Administered personally by Kevin Rudd if you're lucky