Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Amoeba102 posted:

Oh gently caress off. You can't concede when under 10 HP past turn 10 and still get quest credit.

Weird, it should trigger as long as you're under 15 HP. What mode were you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Looks like your opponent was trying out a MarkMcKz OTK deck that, if it goes off, takes about 20 minutes to resolve. (Of course, it's a MarkMcKz deck so it won't ever go off)

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

RatHat posted:

Weird, it should trigger as long as you're under 15 HP. What mode were you in?

Ranked Standard.

Edit: Maybe I misremember how much HP I had. I don't like the changes to quest credit, because even if you are above 15 HP, the game can be over if it's gone long enough and you've got no hand and an empty board. I know there is supposed to be a fairplay concede thing when you're beaten and you both know it, but now you just have to not concede sometimes because it's unclear if you'll get credit or not.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 12, 2021

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Can someone bring me up to speed on why Shaman is just reviled? Is there some history of them or is it because they're the current hotness, because I'm having so much more fun as elemental shaman than I was with secret paladin. Also I can actually win against control warlock compared to when I play token druid.so that's nice.

E: even if it's off meta and sucks I am tempted to build myself a murloc deck for funsies.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Can someone bring me up to speed on why Shaman is just reviled? Is there some history of them or is it because they're the current hotness, because I'm having so much more fun as elemental shaman than I was with secret paladin. Also I can actually win against control warlock compared to when I play token druid.so that's nice.

E: even if it's off meta and sucks I am tempted to build myself a murloc deck for funsies.

People hate Shaman because they're all stuck in the Standard meta and not getting out there and exploring with a solid Wild Murloc Shaman. That's about it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's because there was a 1/4 with Rush and Windfury that everyone hated as it would dominate the early game and carry victories, so Blizz nerfed it. Shaman was the weakest class at the time so Blizz decided to release a Shaman only 2/5 with Rush and Windfury to help them out.

Now everyone hates Shaman.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Playing Shaman? Yeah Elemental / Tempo stuff is fun.
Playing against Shaman? Too Aggro.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Why is priest hated? I am so confused, new to the game, and new to blizzard games in general.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lampsacus posted:

Why is priest hated? I am so confused, new to the game, and new to blizzard games in general.

Playing against a priest in standard often involves a long, drawn out game against random bullshit which shuts down your plans without killing you.

EDIT: It's different in wild because both Big and Reno Priests have clear ways of actually killing you.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 12, 2021

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

DeadButDelicious posted:

TROGGS RULE!
Would you like some fish? *summons 3/4*
4 mana 7/7
1 mana 3/3 weapon
etc.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Lampsacus posted:

Priest's 'house style' is long, drawn-out games where their game plan is mostly just making GBS threads on your game plan with little proactive agenda of their own.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Navaash posted:

TROGGS RULE!
4 mana 7/7
1 mana 3/3 weapon
etc.

I'm sure this is supposed to send shivers down my spine but I dipped out of Hearthstone at Whispers of the Old Gods and only just came back so a lot of this is lost on me I'm afraid :shobon:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Hey now, I play Priest a lot and I can promise you Priest has an endgame for a lot of matchups. Plan A is N'Zoth, but unfortunately for both sides if that doesn't work the only Plan B is fatigue.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

DeadButDelicious posted:

I'm sure this is supposed to send shivers down my spine but I dipped out of Hearthstone at Whispers of the Old Gods and only just came back so a lot of this is lost on me I'm afraid :shobon:

Shaman has a history of troubled balance and design. Due to mechanics and the hero power, Shaman typically ends up being either completely unplayable, or completely overpowered, with nothing in-between.

So when Shaman is good, everyone instinctively assumes Shaman is too good.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
overload particularly is an issue b/c it's meant to let shaman cheat the mana curve with undercosted cards by forcing them to play the next turn off-curve or even take the turn off entirely, but hearthstone isn't a game where that ends up being as punishing as it could be

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Navaash posted:

TROGGS RULE!
4 mana 7/7
1 mana 3/3 weapon
etc.

MY JAWS THAT BITE! MY CLAWS THAT CATCH!
The oceans churn, and the heavens cry!
*Evolving Noises*

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Speaking of Shaman, and Brawl, Healing Totem resolves after mini-Rag so if you fill your board with */1 minions and a Healing Totem he kills everything, gets credit, and then it all comes back to life including the totem. Think you just have to leave a space open so mini-rag can flip-flop or it won’t repeat right

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

flatluigi posted:

overload particularly is an issue b/c it's meant to let shaman cheat the mana curve with undercosted cards by forcing them to play the next turn off-curve or even take the turn off entirely, but hearthstone isn't a game where that ends up being as punishing as it could be

Yeah blizzard has some real difficulty finding the sweet spot with overload. Either the good is so good you don't care about it or the isn't good enough to justify the overload. And they have never really committed to overload mechanic. Like it would be okay if shaman had just okay overload cards if they had overload synergy. Something more than just a 1 1/3 that gains attack with overload or undoes the overload.

Some examples I think of would be:

3 mana spell: lifesteal 1 deal damage to all enemies, an additional 1 damage for every overload you have.

6 mana: 3/7 taunt elemental, gives every other minion +2 attack if you have overload.

4 mana 4/5 rush elemental, battlecry gain divine shield if you have overload.

(Please don't try to actually think of the balance of these examples. They were just a quick idea of overload synergy)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Playing against a priest in standard often involves a long, drawn out game against random bullshit which shuts down your plans without killing you.

EDIT: It's different in wild because both Big and Reno Priests have clear ways of actually killing you.

On the other hand, Big Priest is basically a deck where someone is going to have a blowout game, and the only question is who. Either they cheat out something beefy early and create an insurmountable wall with res effects, or their curve shits the bed.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think overload works fine as a mechanic without making cards to cheat the downside or that get a special effect if you've overloaded. You get a strong card now and are limited next turn, you can do anything with that. If anything, cards that proc off of overload have been the reason why Blizzard can't balance overload as a whole.

I think the real problem with Shaman is that they're always being pulled in too many directions. Look through the history of Hearthstone and tell me what Shaman is supposed to do, and compare that to Mage, Hunter, Warrior, or Warlock. Mages focus on strong spells, Hunters beat you down, Warriors control the battlefield, and Warlocks make sacrifices to get unfair advantages. Most of those classes' cards do a good job of supporting those ideas, while Shaman seems to be a dumping ground for whatever ideas the designers can't fit in somewhere else.

Shamans want hero attack/weapon support for Doomhammer builds, but also they need more good damage spells or spell generation for spell power Shaman, and they need evolve support so give them more minions that spawn copies of themselves, but they also need more elementals, and murlocs, maybe totems too. Wait, what happened to overload synergy?! That's just what's in standard right now.They could devote Shaman's entire card haul this next expansion to archetypes that already exist but can't compete and many of those decks would still be half baked.

One other weird thing with Shaman, that's unrelated to my rant above, is that they've been given a significantly larger number of cards in the 3 mana slot (21) than any other class (DH next highest at 17, all others 15 or less). It's tough to balance out their mana curve right now because so many of their best cards are all in that same cost.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 12, 2021

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

My Priest opponent plays a randomly generated Yogg-Saron late game, it lands on "cast a random spell for each spell you've cast this game", hoo boy.

It clears my board, :smith:

It clears my opponents board :unsmith:

It draws all their cards :getin:

It overloads them and casts Celestial Alignment :unsmigghh:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Sometimes you get the Yogg. Sometimes the Yogg gets you.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the best shaman has ever been was big shaman in standard during rastakhan's rumble. it is known

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Hearthstone could fix a lot of issues simply by making the board bigger imo. 10 or 15 minions at a time would be perf

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It would be a fun effect at least. Maybe as a quest or start of game effect.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It’s more Minions have a ridiculously short lifespan now, because there’s so many (many!) ways to remove one. What’s the point of holding board when you can do 20 from hand, or they might delete everything with a single card, etc.

Once upon a time Flamestrike was a gold standard.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Yeah blizzard has some real difficulty finding the sweet spot with overload. Either the good is so good you don't care about it or the isn't good enough to justify the overload. And they have never really committed to overload mechanic. Like it would be okay if shaman had just okay overload cards if they had overload synergy. Something more than just a 1 1/3 that gains attack with overload or undoes the overload.

Some examples I think of would be:

3 mana spell: lifesteal 1 deal damage to all enemies, an additional 1 damage for every overload you have.

6 mana: 3/7 taunt elemental, gives every other minion +2 attack if you have overload.

4 mana 4/5 rush elemental, battlecry gain divine shield if you have overload.

(Please don't try to actually think of the balance of these examples. They were just a quick idea of overload synergy)

So more cards like likkim, landslide, Unbound elemental, Thunderhead, Cumulo maximus?
And they've had 2 1/3s that get attack with overload, the tunnel trogg and the surging tempest. Yeah, they should probably make some more because those 7 cards are the complete set from the entirety of hearthstone.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ah, thanks for explaining the priest hate. I play priest and really have a ball doing so, but in my defence, I play with an agressive proactive agenda. It... rarely works but it's fun to attempt. But yeah. I've noticed how easy it is to remove minions and because my priest play is all about board control, it's kinda making me want to switch to a hand class like mage. Mage actually looks quite fun - shooting down minions with spells like a coward.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Lampsacus posted:

Ah, thanks for explaining the priest hate. I play priest and really have a ball doing so, but in my defence, I play with an agressive proactive agenda. It... rarely works but it's fun to attempt. But yeah. I've noticed how easy it is to remove minions and because my priest play is all about board control, it's kinda making me want to switch to a hand class like mage. Mage actually looks quite fun - shooting down minions with spells like a coward.

Priest has the cards that are the most fun to play and the worst to have played against you. As mentioned above the games tend to be long because all the funnest cards cost a lot and the Priest toolkit is all about staying alive to play them. This is frustrating to ADD children obsessed with speedy laddering, normal people don't mind Priest much though.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
Hey any EU-guys here, I kinda have some free time and want to practice getting legend and doing match ups - interested, please hit up Vilis#21686

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I generally believe that Hearthstone's biggest problem is that it has too many classes. It would be much a better game if Hunter, Shaman, Warlock and Warrior were cut from the game - all four of them have unbalanced hero powers (in either direction) that gently caress up card balance, and they all either have entirely static identities (Hunter/Warlock) or eternally poorly defined ones (Shaman/Warrior). That would leave a strong tempo class (Rogue), the bullshit spellcasting/interaction class (Mage), the gently caress-you control class (Priest), the balls-to-the-wall aggro class (Demon Hunter), the ramp class (Druid), and the midrange class (Paladin). However, most of those also have had interesting variations and non-standard approaches in the past to allow for some flexibility as the game continues to age. Doubly so, once Blizzard could start splitting up some mechanics from the removed classes.

As others have been saying, Shaman is a giant cluster of random poo poo that utterly defies a simple description - it was the go-wide class for a while, but it's also had spell-focused stuff and weapon-focused stuff in the past too? Warrior has a similar problem, where it's historically had both the absolutely most aggro decks and the most degenerate control decks... at the same time, because the hero power is such utter poo poo that their cards need to be broken as gently caress to make it playable at all. Warlocks at least have the "sacrifice for power!" theme, but a hero power to draw a card is the most epic bullshit ever and is terrible to try and balance. Hunter would actually be fine until last year, but IMO Demon Hunter does the exact same job with more interesting mechanics and a more thoughtful hero power. Hunter has become redundant - sorry to our aggro friends of old.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the classes are fine imo, the problem is just that looking at the classes through the lens of a meta snapshot distorts which classes look well-developed and which classes look like they aren't. every class has gone through a time where it looked like rear end and that the designers forgot about it

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

yea, 10 classes feels pretty good, you get a nice natural rotation between who is top tier, and you need this complexity to supplement the simplistic mana system in the game.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
As annoying as Priest can be to play against at times, I hope the new Benedictus makes a new tempo-oriented Shadow priest archetype that works somewhat.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Blooming Brilliant posted:

MY JAWS THAT BITE! MY CLAWS THAT CATCH!
The oceans churn, and the heavens cry!
*Evolving Noises*

Ah yes, the short, but brilliant career of Shaman's Galakrond deck.
While it only lasted like a week and a half before getting nerfed into the dirt, there was a time when, according HSReplay, it's worst matchup was a 50% winrate against itself

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
For the past year everyone was complaining Paladin didn't have an identity and was too much of a mash of random ideas. Finally librams stuck and it took off from there.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

orangelex44 posted:

As others have been saying, Shaman is a giant cluster of random poo poo that utterly defies a simple description - it was the go-wide class for a while, but it's also had spell-focused stuff and weapon-focused stuff in the past too?
That's because "cluster of random poo poo" is their class identity

quote:

Shaman: Shamans wield the power of the elements along with their trusty totems. While they may not be able to generate resources as quickly as a Mage, they are able to overload their Mana Crystals with lightning, allowing them to ramp up for a burst of power faster than other classes. Shamans are thus rewarded for planning a few turns ahead by tuning their mana curve. Shamans also have strong tools to adapt to many situations. Although they are not as versatile as a Druid’s Choose One cards, they are able to extend their capabilities in ways other classes might not be able to.

Strengths: Minion swarms, damage spells, Totems, Elementals, Murlocs
Weaknesses: Card draw, card generation
Sure, they don't have as much healing as priests or paladins, but they do have healing unlike hunters and rogues. Sure, they don't have as much burn as mages, but they do have burn spells unlike warriors and paladins.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 13, 2021

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I wish that HSReplay did Battlegrounds replays because I just had a game that made me want to die and laugh equally. I high-rolled into a very quick Sulfuras activation and even tripled into a Hydra on the turn that it came online... only to have my Hydra in each subsequent round attack either the extreme left or right minion on my opponent's board every single time. I still won but it was sort of amazing to experience.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

NorgLyle posted:

I wish that HSReplay did Battlegrounds replays because I just had a game that made me want to die and laugh equally. I high-rolled into a very quick Sulfuras activation and even tripled into a Hydra on the turn that it came online... only to have my Hydra in each subsequent round attack either the extreme left or right minion on my opponent's board every single time. I still won but it was sort of amazing to experience.

Wait, is that not just how Cleave minions work in BGs???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

I generally believe that Hearthstone's biggest problem is that it has too many classes. It would be much a better game if Hunter, Shaman, Warlock and Warrior were cut from the game - all four of them have unbalanced hero powers (in either direction) that gently caress up card balance, and they all either have entirely static identities (Hunter/Warlock) or eternally poorly defined ones (Shaman/Warrior). That would leave a strong tempo class (Rogue), the bullshit spellcasting/interaction class (Mage), the gently caress-you control class (Priest), the balls-to-the-wall aggro class (Demon Hunter), the ramp class (Druid), and the midrange class (Paladin). However, most of those also have had interesting variations and non-standard approaches in the past to allow for some flexibility as the game continues to age. Doubly so, once Blizzard could start splitting up some mechanics from the removed classes.

As others have been saying, Shaman is a giant cluster of random poo poo that utterly defies a simple description - it was the go-wide class for a while, but it's also had spell-focused stuff and weapon-focused stuff in the past too? Warrior has a similar problem, where it's historically had both the absolutely most aggro decks and the most degenerate control decks... at the same time, because the hero power is such utter poo poo that their cards need to be broken as gently caress to make it playable at all. Warlocks at least have the "sacrifice for power!" theme, but a hero power to draw a card is the most epic bullshit ever and is terrible to try and balance. Hunter would actually be fine until last year, but IMO Demon Hunter does the exact same job with more interesting mechanics and a more thoughtful hero power. Hunter has become redundant - sorry to our aggro friends of old.

Nah, delete demon hunter and keep Hunter. DH has too much absolute bullshit and Illidan is a garbage hero. Also delete paladin because the buff and heal stuff is better left to priest. Pare Shaman back to midrange stuff.