Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Bland posted:

Unfortunately this isn't a guarantee, I think like half of my drops were Poison Sacs and I was just short of being able to actually make anything.

Once you get back to town you should get a subquest to fight a rathian. Though it might unlock once you get to the third town, I didnt check the board until i got there, it's not very far away anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bland posted:

Unfortunately this isn't a guarantee, I think like half of my drops were Poison Sacs and I was just short of being able to actually make anything.

Once you've fought it it starts spawning in rare dens. Also there's a repeatable subquest that forces one to spawn near one of the catavan stands

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Speaking of repeatable subquests, any monster you beat in a trial quest counts as beating it for a subquest, so doing the one with Qurupeco three times or the Nargacuga one and then cashing in that subquest is a decent way to get some quick exp for monsters you want to level to unlock gene slots, though I wouldn't recommend going past level 10 or so with this method, since there's probably higher level (and thus higher exp) quests later, but it's good for freeing up space while you're in Rutoh.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
the poems in Monster Hunter Rise are dogshit

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
much like your posting

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Sudden Javelin posted:

much like your posting

That was uncalled for.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Jehuti posted:

Once you get back to town you should get a subquest to fight a rathian. Though it might unlock once you get to the third town, I didnt check the board until i got there, it's not very far away anyway.

Eyyy thanks to your advice and Zore's amazing battle strategy, I am now the proud owner of a baby Gammoth! Stinky egg too! I named him The Lad.

Had to beat him a good 4 times before he would run away, even with the Rathian armor and a Paintball. Also the fight wasn't quite a snoozefest because my Angy Boi just LOVED to try and throw rocks at Gammoth instead of doing a Speed Attack with me like a good boy. Still. Managed it, and got some nice levels for my newest children. Now I can go team with with Alvinia!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

Is Stories like Pokemon where it's just catching monsters and snoozing through the story, or is it like SMT / Persona. A team based RPG with strong mechanics.

Pokemon but with much better thought out mechanics and a more manageable number of creatures to collect. I'd say this is what I've wanted Pokemon to be for quite a while (and is now clear that we're not ever going to get).

The plot isn't as cringe inducing as Rise's (which was auto-skip for me very quickly) but you could easily skip the cutscenes and lose nothing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The plot is simple but cute

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, it's fine, I've honestly enjoyed it so far. In particular, Navirou has me smiling often - the animation work they put into his facial expressions is SO. GOOD.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Im glad Kayna is no longer my buddy because I hate seeing her stretch out Navirou's face like that, I mean drat, take it easy girl

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Think I’m reaching the end of the demo and Stories 2 is growing on me. I might end up pulling the trigger. Did a quick YouTube glance at some of the endgame monsters and fights and yeah this looks pretty fun.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Im glad Kayna is no longer my buddy because I hate seeing her stretch out Navirou's face like that, I mean drat, take it easy girl

Speaking of that, why does everyone keep putting their hands on my character's face like they're going to kiss him? It's getting weird.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Speaking of that, why does everyone keep putting their hands on my character's face like they're going to kiss him? It's getting weird.

Its explained as a cultural greeting thing. Hopefully everyone washes their hands frequently

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Thats how you say hello on the island. They do it to some other people later who get weirded out by it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Weird. Do you want to get COVID? This is how you get COVID.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Apologies if this was covered / asked but with stories 2 is it like an actual sequel or is it like stories 1 but ++.

I have stories 1 that I was going to play through but if 2 is just 1 (obviously the story is different) but a lot better maybe I should skip 1?

I looked on YouTube but I didn’t see any 1 to 2 comparisons.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MarcusSA posted:

Apologies if this was covered / asked but with stories 2 is it like an actual sequel or is it like stories 1 but ++.

I have stories 1 that I was going to play through but if 2 is just 1 (obviously the story is different) but a lot better maybe I should skip 1?

I looked on YouTube but I didn’t see any 1 to 2 comparisons.

It's a straight up sequel, complete with returning characters that are now older.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

It's a straight up sequel, complete with returning characters that are now older.

Ok thanks! I’ll give 1 a play through then since I already have it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks! I’ll give 1 a play through then since I already have it.

I beat Stories 1 yesterday and honestly I think you'd be fine with skipping it. The story is incredibly basic and the characters are so surface-level that you probably won't be missing out on anything. The early-game is pretty easy and the lategame has some issues that I would mostly describe as "The game playing rock-paper-scissors against itself and frequently deciding that the hand they played on your behalf lost" that it sounds like Stories 2 fixed a lot of

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I liked Kayna specifically for this reason

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

I liked Kayna specifically for this reason

I think I just didn't like the sound it made when she does it lol. Its like the stretchy rubber noise

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I choose to believe Kayna's Velocidrome only joined you specifically so he could kick Navirou's rear end.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I was just watching the ACG review for Stories 2 and he mentioned a selectable hard difficulty DLC coming down the pipe. That's the first I've heard of that and I don't see it on the roadmap, was he just mistaken about the various High Difficulty monster DLCs?

Was about to start my own playthrough but I'll wait if a real difficulty mode is really coming.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I beat Stories 1 yesterday and honestly I think you'd be fine with skipping it. The story is incredibly basic and the characters are so surface-level that you probably won't be missing out on anything. The early-game is pretty easy and the lategame has some issues that I would mostly describe as "The game playing rock-paper-scissors against itself and frequently deciding that the hand they played on your behalf lost" that it sounds like Stories 2 fixed a lot of

Hmm ok that gives me something to think about. I've got 1 on my phone (which plays really really well tbh) and I think I might just give it a shot for a bit and see how it goes.

2 does look really good so if I don't totally bounce off 1 I'll be giving it a shot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Hmm ok that gives me something to think about. I've got 1 on my phone (which plays really really well tbh) and I think I might just give it a shot for a bit and see how it goes.

2 does look really good so if I don't totally bounce off 1 I'll be giving it a shot.

The 2 big mechanical changes that mean I can't go back to Stories 1 are that in 2 you can inherit genes freely instead of being stuck only inheriting to the same part of the grid and they removed all the random variance for enemies so that they're completely predictable instead of you just eating poo poo sometimes because the monster decided to do a tech attack instead of power.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Whats the point of using the gunlance wyvern fire if it uses 100 kinship? Is it that it might do more damage than some monsters kinship skill?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
What are the best monsters? I require a monster tierlist. I can’t tell if I’m wasting time levelling up my decent-seeming second-area monsters or if they’re just doomed to be forever garbage

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Still messing with the demo but saw that could do this and I just had to try

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1414690984873512975?s=21

Look at me. I’m the demo boss now.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

awesmoe posted:

What are the best monsters? I require a monster tierlist. I can’t tell if I’m wasting time levelling up my decent-seeming second-area monsters or if they’re just doomed to be forever garbage

If you look at the monster's status you can see a rarity. Generally the higher it is the better the monster. The best monsters in the early areas are the royal monsters (except Gammoth) which are also the most difficult to acquire.

For the most part through the story you should be continuously upgrading your crew, though a lower tier monster can carry you just fine.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Still messing with the demo but saw that could do this and I just had to try

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1414690984873512975?s=21

Look at me. I’m the demo boss now.

Can you actually get Anjanath in the 1st island outside of the demo? I read somewhere it's possible, but I haven't seen him show up at all outside of the story battle.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I plan on stacking all the best genes onto my pukei pukei named Poo Cake because I love him very much and he looks the coolest

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Dyz posted:

I think this question was asked earlier but in MH Rise is there any real downside to taking the Insta Block switch skill over Guard? It seems like even if you miss the timing you still get a regular guard anyways. The closest thing to a downside I can think of is not being able to go into a cancel/counter thrust immediately.

Aside from having a harder time going into counter stance, it also basically locks you out of the shield advance and the jumping thrust attacks because you have to wait for the parry animation to finish before you can bust them out, and they're both really really good moves.

Basically, any move that you do out of guard ends up taking a full second longer to do, and that's like half the lance's moveset

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Can you actually get Anjanath in the 1st island outside of the demo? I read somewhere it's possible, but I haven't seen him show up at all outside of the story battle.

Apparently it works at any time. You need to go to North Kamura Forest then go all the way to the nest. At the end, right before the nest, there's a Pukei. You need to beat and force it to retreat. This creates a monster den by the nest. Go in, grab the egg, and leave. Then go to the nest (you get a "there's no one around" prompt) at which point you wait. After 4-5 minutes a Yian kut ku. Except when you fight Yian the actual fight is against anjanath. Again, you need to beat and force a retreat. Anja will then be on the same den Pukei triggered and you can grab its egg there.

Not sure how late/early Anjanath actually shows up in game but this is a fun thing to do in the demo while I run out of things to do and actually pull the trigger on the game.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Huh, neat. I'll try that out. From what I can tell Anjanath doesn't normally show up for like 2-3 more regions after that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Apparently it works at any time. You need to go to North Kamura Forest then go all the way to the nest. At the end, right before the nest, there's a Pukei. You need to beat and force it to retreat. This creates a monster den by the nest. Go in, grab the egg, and leave. Then go to the nest (you get a "there's no one around" prompt) at which point you wait. After 4-5 minutes a Yian kut ku. Except when you fight Yian the actual fight is against anjanath. Again, you need to beat and force a retreat. Anja will then be on the same den Pukei triggered and you can grab its egg there.

Not sure how late/early Anjanath actually shows up in game but this is a fun thing to do in the demo while I run out of things to do and actually pull the trigger on the game.

He shows up 2 areas later so thats a pretty significant sequence skip

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also you can do this repeatedly if you want to farm up a rainbow egg one. Just need the paintballs for each attempt and if you do it during the demo / start, Kayna will get 1 shot by Anja every time because of the power/speed mismatch so you need to be on it to actually get the kill before she dies.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ugh it works but the Anjanath didn't retreat (yes I used a paintball) and then when I tried again the Pukei Pukei didn't retreat.

Edit: 2nd try is the charm, got it!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 12, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One tiny little side note to the Anja shenanigans: you can't actually use him in the demo. I mean, you can but he doesn't actually do anything in combat since his assets as a monstie are not present in the game. Transferring the save over to the full game clears this up and Anja can proceed to apparently carry you through the start since his stats are pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just tried this out and I got an Anjanath before I even unlocked all the gene stuff!