Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DorianGravy posted:

[Terminator 2] must have been a trip for first-time viewers!

Glottis posted:

Yes and no. It was certainly novel, but this was also the age of trailers spoiling basically the whole movie. https://youtu.be/CRRlbK5w8AE

Lame.

Maybe… maybe there were a few people lucky enough to have only seen the absolutely amazing teaser and not the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ThFNL_2tI

david_a fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Enos Cabell posted:

I haven't seen it, but is the camera really all male gazey? It was written and directed by women, not saying they can't/won't shoot that way but still surprising.

It's not all, but it's definitely there.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MajorBonnet posted:

It's not all, but it's definitely there.

Wasn't that kind of the point though? It's been years since I've watched it but I recall her talking about it in interviews and stuff when it came out.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Chaotic Flame posted:

Wasn't that kind of the point though? It's been years since I've watched it but I recall her talking about it in interviews and stuff when it came out.

Yeah it's absolutely the point, not having anything like that would be weird lol

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I spent a long time deriding Jennifer's Body relative to Ginger Snaps (which I felt handled the metaphor better). Maybe I should revisit it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They're both good

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There are very annoying people on the internet who will go on at length about how Arnold being the good guy in T2 was supposed to be a surprise twist. They're wrong. Very, very, very wrong.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I mean, it was a twist, but there's no way they assumed it'd be a surprise with all the promo material and word of mouth. Who knows, maybe they thought people would know he eventually became good but weren't sure if started bad in the movie... except the longer trailer spells it out fully.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think it materially changes the film in any significant capacity whether the audience knows that the T-800 is the good guy or not. It's clear that Sarah thinks he's the bad guy and the effectiveness of the narrative rests on that, not on the audience's knowledge or lack thereof.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The Modern Leper posted:

I spent a long time deriding Jennifer's Body relative to Ginger Snaps (which I felt handled the metaphor better). Maybe I should revisit it.

Ginger Snaps owns and I feel like not enough people saw Little Witches with Clea DuVall

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The surprise twist of T2 is basically that Sarah Conner becomes a terminator, and that's not really spoiled in any of the trailers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Glottis posted:

I think it holds up 100%. I'm continually amazed at how tight the script is even for minor poo poo.

Completely unimportant to the plot, but as I was watching it the other day I noticed this: The scene where Arnold first kneecaps the psych hospital gate guard, they show John steal 2 clips of ammo from the guard in a 2 second shot. Several minutes later they actually stick to it and John says "Last one" after giving Sarah the second reload.

Only part they hosed up was deleting the smile scene. Originally I just thought "haha funny" but it actually nicely sets up the moment when Arnold correctly smiles after picking up the minigun at Enrique's.

I'm assuming I don't have to put spoilers tags for this movie.

I remember on the commentary for T2 they talk about how very very early on they were considering having John wielding guns himself but that was never going to fly in several countries at the time along with some grey area stuff like lockpicking (which was cut in the initial UK home releases when Sarah picks locks during her escape). So to give him something to do they built all the action stuff he does around the computer hacking and handling/commenting on all of the vehicles they use throughout the movie and managing the ammunition which is why I think that was so consistent.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Black Widow is exactly what I wanted after cosmic war movies

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Junkie Disease posted:

Black Widow is exactly what I wanted after cosmic war movies

Yeah, it was fun. Solidly middle tier Marvel movie, which isn't a bad thing at all.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Haha yes. That was the perfect cherry on top

Just watched Lynn Sheltons final movie, Sword Of Trust Netflix. Highly recommend.

Sword of Trust was great. I didn't know anything about it, and only glanced at the description, so the entire time I thought I was watching the pilot of a TV show. If you want a movie where nothing happens but it's just Marc Maron being a wise-rear end to racists, you'll get it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Seconding that T2 holds up incredibly well. Arguably the best action movie of all-time, but at least from that decade.

Some dude on reddit recently posted where his girlfriend was completely unfamiliar with the Terminator movies and he successfully had her experience T1 & T2 back-to-back with no foreknowledge of the Arnold "huge twist that was revealed to everyone in the trailers" change-up.

david_a posted:

The freezing is implied to have damaged the T-1000 as well. I think the only thing left in the theatrical cut is that he has a “ripple” when he pauses to look around (which can also come off as annoyance). His hand also gets momentarily fused to a railing without his intent, and I think the foot thing was how John figures out which Sarah is the real one.

Granted it's not the nitpick thread but is there any justifiable explanation for why the T-1000 let Sarah live after he stabs her and then mimics her? Some of his behavior in the factory scene can be attributed to the glitches that have been discussed but that kind of mistake doesn't hold up that well under scrutiny.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sand Monster posted:

Granted it's not the nitpick thread but is there any justifiable explanation for why the T-1000 let Sarah live after he stabs her and then mimics her? Some of his behavior in the factory scene can be attributed to the glitches that have been discussed but that kind of mistake doesn't hold up that well under scrutiny.

If I remember correctly, his conversation with Sarah is rudely interrupted by the T-800 and a metal pole. Sarah presumably slinks off while he’s busy.

As for why he doesn’t just immediately kill Sarah and start mimicking her - maybe he knows that a voice mimic is like 99% and not 100% accurate (also much less likely to say something telling if the real Sarah calls for John), maybe mimicking takes a lot of energy and he’s running low, or maybe he’s just malicious and enjoys torturing her. There’s other small things that imply that the T-1000 may have some rudimentary emotions.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s funny that Disney+ tells you exactly how long you have to wait to see Black Widow if you don’t pay the $30. (October 26)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

David harbor has never been this good

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Black Widow was pretty great, despite yet another floating god damned fortress. At least no sky beams this time around.

Casting continues to be Marvels best asset, Florence Pugh, David Harbour and Rachel Weisz were all fantastic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

As for why he doesn’t just immediately kill Sarah and start mimicking her - maybe he knows that a voice mimic is like 99% and not 100% accurate (also much less likely to say something telling if the real Sarah calls for John), maybe mimicking takes a lot of energy and he’s running low, or maybe he’s just malicious and enjoys torturing her. There’s other small things that imply that the T-1000 may have some rudimentary emotions.

Well the T-1000 did have an issue with mimicking earlier in the movie when it got tricked into revealing itself by the whole Wolfy thing. So it may have learned from that and decided that killing Sarah at that point would make it more difficult to lure John in, just like what happened with the foster parents.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

Some dude on reddit recently posted where his girlfriend was completely unfamiliar with the Terminator movies and he successfully had her experience T1 & T2 back-to-back with no foreknowledge of the Arnold "huge twist that was revealed to everyone in the trailers" change-up.

I got to do this with Back to the Future, watching her eyes get wide when she realized they do know exactly when and where a bolt of lightning is going to strike is one of my favorite movie experiences ever. I wonder if she's seen Terminator...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I got to have a grown adult turn to me and, shocked, say "He's lying, right??" at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sand Monster posted:

I did this with my gf as well, last year. I think I posted about it somewhere here, but she called it beforehand. The way the characters are shot makes it pretty obvious. In fact, I think the "Bad to the Bone" bit gives away the game and is probably the movie's biggest misstep (along with Arnold's smirk when he picks up the minigun). It's cute, it's funny, but maybe a bit too cutesy. Tension is sacrificed and the storytelling undercut just to make a joke. It's pandering and Cameron should respect the audience more.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 12, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

And Black Widow was fine. I feel like there was a disconnect between the script and either the acting or directing. There were lots of lines that were clearly intended to be jokes and the overall feel a better mix of action and comedy and that was largely lost in filming. The younger sister in particular was clearly written to be jokier than the performance given.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I really enjoyed The Hunt

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The first episode of The White Lotus, Mike White’s new HBO show about rich people at a Hawaiian resort, was pretty good. Great cast and the score’s killer. I’m interested in seeing where it goes, it looks like it gets a little crazy later on. Plus, I’ve been promised that it has a legendary Jennifer Coolidge performance, so I’ll stick around just for that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

wizardofloneliness posted:

The first episode of The White Lotus, Mike White’s new HBO show about rich people at a Hawaiian resort, was pretty good. Great cast and the score’s killer. I’m interested in seeing where it goes, it looks like it gets a little crazy later on. Plus, I’ve been promised that it has a legendary Jennifer Coolidge performance, so I’ll stick around just for that.

Yeah, I just rewatched it during my lunch break after watching it last night. I can't wait for Molly Shannon to show up.

There were a few lines in this episode that made me think, "Mike White definitely watches Vanderpump Rules, and is obviously quoting it." But given that he also competed on The Amazing Race and Survivor, we do know that he's a fan of reality tv in general.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Mike White has had a pretty interesting career. Even ignoring everything else his journey with mental health and meditation has clearly positively influenced his work. Which started out as pretty good.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

today is the 30th anniversary of Point Break and it's on hbo max so you should definitely watch it today in celebration if you're not a dumbass with bad movie taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuVDrpl1tIY

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I hate Chris Pratt

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked Chris Pratt as a chubby funny guy. I do not like action hero Chris Pratt.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I never liked any of the cutesy white people Office-derivative comedy he was in so i just had to maintain my distaste for chris pratt. Very easy
Ditto jim from the office

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

promising carl posted:

I really enjoyed The Hunt

The Hunt rules.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

veni veni veni posted:

I liked Chris Pratt as a chubby funny guy. I do not like action hero Chris Pratt.

Same. He could've been a delightful character actor for years. Sadly Hollywood took the wrong message from his intentional "miscast" in Guardians of the Galaxy for a sort of schulby, incompetent hero with a heart of gold.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

wizardofloneliness posted:

Enlightened was fantastic, grownup TV and at times one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever watched. Real interested in The White Lotus.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Same. He could've been a delightful character actor for years. Sadly Hollywood took the wrong message from his intentional "miscast" in Guardians of the Galaxy for a sort of schulby, incompetent hero with a heart of gold.

He was one of the Seal Team guys in Zero Dark Thirty two years before Guardians, he was definitely trying to push his career that way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not that I would have expected otherwise but willys wonderland is garbage.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

veni veni veni posted:

completely incorrect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

veni veni veni posted:

Correct. It is the proper kind of garbage.