Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I think it's very silly to think Pixar movie title is problematic because of the word Red in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Is that the Asian take on Brave?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only cynicism hanging in the back of my head is that all the Chinese representation from Disney is tokenism to grab more cash from the Chinese market. I don't expect to see much in the way of Bengali or Kazakhstani rep anytime soon. And I know, the Eisner memo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched Looney Tunes: Back in Action and that movie is so much better than I remember it being.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You remembered it being bad?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Das Boo posted:

The only cynicism hanging in the back of my head is that all the Chinese representation from Disney is tokenism to grab more cash from the Chinese market. I don't expect to see much in the way of Bengali or Kazakhstani rep anytime soon. And I know, the Eisner memo.

It’s also Canadian representation since it’s set in Toronto.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMk2K_x956M

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

Teen Titans Go! See Space Jam is incredibly funny and worth your time.

I laughed so hard that soda went up my nose

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've heard really good things about this one from its festival run so far. Shaw's first film also kicked rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zepBuHGkiWc

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Samuel Clemens posted:

You remembered it being bad?

Yes, I'm not sure why I thought that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ccs posted:

It’s also Canadian representation since it’s set in Toronto.

Yeah, no cynicism there since Canada's not a big spender. I feel the same way about the Chinese stuff as when anytime Disney sells me a Girl Boss Moment. Like, "You don't actually care about this. You just want to get me to buy it."

I don't have the same feelings about animation coming from China at all. Hell, I wouldn't feel this way if Cartoon Saloon or Ghibli did a Chinese story because those studios present like they have a story they want to tell first, box office second. It's an American monolith blatantly grubbing for more gold that sticks in my craw. Nothing against Domee Shi, either. You gotta exploit the monster right back to ever have a chance at getting your vision out there.

I guess I've been soured on Disney trying to sell me cardboard feminism and gayness for the last 20 years. And a big hurdle to the latter is the loss of the Chinese market.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, no cynicism there since Canada's not a big spender. I feel the same way about the Chinese stuff as when anytime Disney sells me a Girl Boss Moment. Like, "You don't actually care about this. You just want to get me to buy it."

I don't have the same feelings about animation coming from China at all. Hell, I wouldn't feel this way if Cartoon Saloon or Ghibli did a Chinese story because those studios present like they have a story they want to tell first, box office second. It's an American monolith blatantly grubbing for more gold that sticks in my craw. Nothing against Domee Shi, either. You gotta exploit the monster right back to ever have a chance at getting your vision out there.

I guess I've been soured on Disney trying to sell me cardboard feminism and gayness for the last 20 years. And a big hurdle to the latter is the loss of the Chinese market.

Yeah I get where you’re coming from. I work in animation so I’m also super cynical about a lot of the decisions. But this film looks to me like about an immigrant experience in Canada which gels with the directors heritage. Was she chosen for the role to make Bao and then this because they wanted something to appeal to Chinese audiences? Maybe. A lot of the time Hollywood’s pandering attempts don’t work though. Just look at how Shang Chi might not even get aired in China cause of issues over its sensitivity toward the material.

Stuff like Wish Dragon (Aladdin but in China!) or that yeti movie Dreamworks released seem a lot more pandery.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Ccs posted:

A lot of the time Hollywood’s pandering attempts don’t work though. Just look at how Shang Chi might not even get aired in China cause of issues over its sensitivity toward the material.
As a Chinese-American this makes me want to see Shang-Chi more, not less. The reverse Mulan mentality, as it were.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's pretty bullshit that Asian Americans/Asian Canadians can't seem to make a movie about Asian people without some folks, innocuously or otherwise, mentioning "...but China?"

The fake concern last page about "Turning Red" sounding too China-related, the half-baked cynicism this page about Asian American films being part of Disney's China ploy. You're part of the problem if you can't look at an Asian American work and shut up about China for a second.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vegetable posted:

It's pretty bullshit that Asian Americans/Asian Canadians can't seem to make a movie about Asian people without some folks, innocuously or otherwise, mentioning "...but China?"

The fake concern last page about "Turning Red" sounding too China-related, the half-baked cynicism this page about Asian American films being part of Disney's China ploy. You're part of the problem if you can't look at an Asian American work and shut up about China for a second.

It's Asian Canadian but tbh that makes it even more ridiculous. It's one thing it was an entirely white production but...asian artists exist independently of the Disney money machine ?

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 15, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yes, they do. I'm not complaining about Chinese representation, as I said, I'm complaining about this:

Michael Eisner posted:

We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective.

And how this is now being implemented by pretending to care about PoCs, women and LGBTQ+ while talking out the other sides of their mouths when it might cost them money.

I cited Bangladesh because that's where I grew up and I talk about the motivation for greenlighting these projects because I work at these studios. My whole community does. I dislike how we're all used to tell the public, "See? We care about these people! We hired them!" while having us work constant crunch, strongly frowning at claimed overtime, and cutting entire crews loose at 5 PM the Monday after Christmas break with no goddamn warning. And we can't air our grievances because it's bad form and we'd get blackballed from the industry. Try filing a sexual harassment complaint. I dare you. Our union is weak, but it's the only thing stopping us from being eaten alive like people in the games industry.

And there are good points! I love my work! But any decent treatment you get is going to come from your team, not your company. Your company does not give one gently caress about you. They want your labor and they want to turn a profit off that labor. That's it. And so I don't have company loyalty, I'm here to work at something I enjoy and take my paycheck.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who's saying Disney genuinely cares about Asian people? Nobody is imagining that this movie symbolizes some racial enlightenment in Disney's boardroom.

Feel free to poo poo on exploitative labor practices in Bangladesh. But a Chinese person finally gets to make something about an immigrant experience in racist Hollywood and your comment was to dismiss it as a tool for capturing the China market.

There's already a context of Chinese people in America getting treated like crap because of their notional attachment to the Chinese motherland. How lovely it must feel as a Chinese American/Chinese Canadian filmmaker to create something pretty much unrelated to China and then have it dismissed because China. It seems like the only way they can win is to make something about white people. You may not mean it but it's extremely demeaning.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't like Disney's tactics in particular due to my personal experience with them concerning matters that I am really not comfortable discussing in further detail for reasons stated above, so I'll resign the discussion.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i hate disney with a ferocity that doesn't really have any reasoning behind it, just instinct

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Yes, they do. I'm not complaining about Chinese representation, as I said, I'm complaining about this:

And how this is now being implemented by pretending to care about PoCs, women and LGBTQ+ while talking out the other sides of their mouths when it might cost them money.

I cited Bangladesh because that's where I grew up and I talk about the motivation for greenlighting these projects because I work at these studios. My whole community does. I dislike how we're all used to tell the public, "See? We care about these people! We hired them!" while having us work constant crunch, strongly frowning at claimed overtime, and cutting entire crews loose at 5 PM the Monday after Christmas break with no goddamn warning. And we can't air our grievances because it's bad form and we'd get blackballed from the industry. Try filing a sexual harassment complaint. I dare you. Our union is weak, but it's the only thing stopping us from being eaten alive like people in the games industry.

And there are good points! I love my work! But any decent treatment you get is going to come from your team, not your company. Your company does not give one gently caress about you. They want your labor and they want to turn a profit off that labor. That's it. And so I don't have company loyalty, I'm here to work at something I enjoy and take my paycheck.

Having worked in kids shows for half a decade I find it very ironic that everyone that works on these shows doesn't make enough to have kids. I've worked at studios where timesheets were changed so that they always say 40 hours, or studios where overtime was paid with "time off in lieu" but the time off had to be approved and never was because the production was too busy to allow for any artists to take vacations. The most generous studio I worked for was ironically the vfx studio that has the worst reputation in the industry, because as opposed to the cartoon studios they actually paid time and a half for overtime on each paycheck and allowed 10 sick days even though they were only mandated by the government to offer 2, and stuck by the mandatory raise to match inflation mid-contract. The downside was that they had to meet hard deadlines for getting films into theaters so 72 hour weeks were common. But their overtime pay policy at least softened the blow a bit.

I'm in Canada btw which doesn't have an animation union though some studios have mistreated their artists so badly that a couple have unionized.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ccs posted:

Stuff like Wish Dragon (Aladdin but in China!)

Uh...The original story is set in China.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Alhazred posted:

But not meaningfully. China is just a stand-in for "A kingdom far, far away."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ccs posted:

Having worked in kids shows for half a decade I find it very ironic that everyone that works on these shows doesn't make enough to have kids. I've worked at studios where timesheets were changed so that they always say 40 hours, or studios where overtime was paid with "time off in lieu" but the time off had to be approved and never was because the production was too busy to allow for any artists to take vacations. The most generous studio I worked for was ironically the vfx studio that has the worst reputation in the industry, because as opposed to the cartoon studios they actually paid time and a half for overtime on each paycheck and allowed 10 sick days even though they were only mandated by the government to offer 2, and stuck by the mandatory raise to match inflation mid-contract. The downside was that they had to meet hard deadlines for getting films into theaters so 72 hour weeks were common. But their overtime pay policy at least softened the blow a bit.

I'm in Canada btw which doesn't have an animation union though some studios have mistreated their artists so badly that a couple have unionized.

Come to think of it, the only folks I work with that have kids are director level or above. That's kinda eerie. My best studio was a small contract studio that encouraged me to pull back from the break-neck speed I'd developed since, y'know... the only reward for beating the deadline is more work and the expectation you'll keep that sprint pace. I was mercifully not one of the people who had a bed under their desk, but there were plenty of "in at 9 AM, out at 2 AM" days. I think most of us are fine with occasional crunch if we're simply compensated, but somehow a lot of billion dollar studios can't seem to manage that.

I remember when Sausage Party came out and not only were the Canadian studios worked to the brink, but a lot of people reported being denied screen credits which, holy poo poo. There goes your next job.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm none of the studios I've worked for have cared about screen credits. If you have the shots on your reel you're fine. I didn't create an imdb page until like 2 years ago, and at a lot of studios no one has them.

My supervisor has kids, but he's been at the same studio 14 years so feels a measure of stability. In vfx there were guys making good money, one guy had been in the industry as long as I had but had pushed his skills and work ethic really really hard to the point that he sometimes stayed in the studio until 3 am. He's a lead now, making a good 150k, but he has to move cities every 6 months or so to follow the next big gig to keep making those amounts, plus he wants to work on the best projects and doesn't have any family to stop him moving about. Meanwhile when I worked in a tiny Canadian province there were actually a few of the mid level animators with kids because their parents had houses nearby and could take care of them, even though the animators were only pulling down 32k salaries and sometimes had 6 month breaks between contracts where they had to go on Employment Insurance.

I could go on a big rant about how financially illiterate people who go into animation are, and the fact that Canada doesn't have a union is going to add an awful shock to their lives when they're older because they'll be no sort of pension scheme waiting to cushion their old age. But trying to explain the concept of an ETF and a balanced portfolio to people who don't even keep a budget is not going to make you a popular person at wrap parties. It's going to be an unfortunate future for a lot of people who go down this career path.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Alhazred posted:

Of the three different TeryToons versions of Aladdin, the second was in China. I figured it was a wartime thing

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i was headed for a career in animation until my hosed up spine forbade it (i can only use a computer for ~10 minutes at a time so lol) and now conditions inside the industry are more transparent, every day i thank my vertebrae for their service

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

perepelki posted:

i was headed for a career in animation until my hosed up spine forbade it (i can only use a computer for ~10 minutes at a time so lol) and now conditions inside the industry are more transparent, every day i thank my vertebrae for their service

I’m not saying some people aren’t having really fun, fulfilling careers but the fact that I have never met an animator over 45 in any of the studios I’ve worked concerns me. I know a supervisor who just turned 50, and there are plenty of directors who are in their late 40s and up, but you never see someone plugging away as a senior animator with grey hair. Maybe I just haven’t worked in the really top tier studios they end up in, or...

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Ccs posted:

I’m not saying some people aren’t having really fun, fulfilling careers but the fact that I have never met an animator over 45 in any of the studios I’ve worked concerns me. I know a supervisor who just turned 50, and there are plenty of directors who are in their late 40s and up, but you never see someone plugging away as a senior animator with grey hair. Maybe I just haven’t worked in the really top tier studios they end up in, or...

I'm finally an episodic director at 33 and I've been increasingly nervous about this. I'm definitely slowing down productivity-wise when I have to storyboard (but idk how much of that is my untreated sleep apnea).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've always kind of been okay with "having an animation career" being a forever unfulfilled goal.

I can always imagine what might have been. And I can keep drawing casually. No downsides!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off topic, apparently the new Space Jam movie is out now. Anybody watch any of it and is it as bad as the trailers made it seem?

On another note, we got some new details on the CGI He-Man reboot (the one that’s coming to Netflix after Revelation and is being helmed by a different team) in the latest issue of SFX magazine:

-There will be a lot of easter eggs to every possible tie-in with the franchise, including Revelation, with 'subtle nods' to every series prior.

-A 'Day One' Prince Adam. Entirely different from what we've seen before

-The series will be a coming-of-age tale, with the characters on journeys of personal discovery and 'earning' new powers and their titles as Masters

Speaking of which, this image just leaked as well:

Based on her design I’m guessing this is the new version of the Sorceress

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Honestly though if Turning Red were about a young woman's political awakening and advocating for fully automated luxury gay space communism that would be pretty rad

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Larryb posted:

Off topic, apparently the new Space Jam movie is out now. Anybody watch any of it and is it as bad as the trailers made it seem?

Every review I’ve seen seems to convey that it’s truly dire.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Every review I’ve seen seems to convey that it’s truly dire.

That's what I thought, Back in Action continues to be the only halfway decent live action Looney Tunes movie then.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the funniest thing about the new space jam is it spends 30 minutes setting up LeBron's family drama because what Space Jam really needed is more backstory.

LeBron's a more charismatic actor than Jordan, though that bar's nearly embedded in the ground to clear, but I have no idea why they thought they needed to make this into Ready Player One.

Also, like, I'm sure that's meant to be partially the joke and all but the bad guy's evil plan is to literally just force LeBron to be in WB intellectual property movies regardless of how well he fits in or wants to do it. That's literally the entire non-father/son related conflict, the bad guy wants to make this movie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't know what the word is, uncanny valley isn't it, but there's a unique feel of unease to see Yosemite Sam digitally imposed into Casablanca

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Lola a bit more of a character this time around at least or is her personality still basically just “sports girl”?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Larryb posted:

Is Lola a bit more of a character this time around at least or is her personality still basically just “sports girl”?

she's been upgraded to be the only toon (tune? they keep spelling it 'tune', is that a branding thing?) who remembers what the game of basketball is for some reason so she's still sports girl but has a bit more to do

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's so much that's just weird and dumb about it, really, not even bad just weird...

Like, the 'goon squad' this movie is just random NBA and WNBA people made into monsters? Like they have Anthony Davis, but it's just Anthony Davis with wings? That's the bit? It's not his 'essence' in a monster but just straight up 'what if AD had wings, that'd be dope'.

It's a shame because the goons are actually kinda cool designs for weird basketball focused monsters but there's no real time spent on them, they just show up in the third act as the bad guys.

I will say the one thing they do right is make the announcers Ernie Johnson treating it exactly as if he was commentating on a normal basketball game with his usual deadpan weirdness and Rel Howey as the color commentary being silly. That's a solid dynamic.

Also as expected none of the references are fresher than ten years old, I think the bad guy literally says 'u mad, bro' at one point

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

sexpig by night posted:

LeBron's a more charismatic actor than Jordan, though that bar's nearly embedded in the ground to clear, but I have no idea why they thought they needed to make this into Ready Player One.

Someone rich and powerful out there desperately wants the idea of an "internet movie" to work, this is like attempt #3 (the Wreck It Ralph sequel, the Emoji Movie).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I genuinely want to know why they're called the 'tune squad' when...the other guys are the 'goon squad'...isn't 'goon vs toon' the better thing?