Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Are tuskgor chariots still busted? Sounds like something fun to use for a bit before it's fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’m a sucker for Morris Engine effects and mass corruption on the campaign, so giving upgraded Morghur a whirl first. Can confirm that a unit which damages anything nearby it without even needing to be engaged in melee is pretty monstrous.

Also, his original gimmick (one enemy unit a map explodes into a unit of chaos spawn) is just about my favourite ability any Lord has in the game.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I can't speak for old Beastmen lords, but Taurox is utterly batshit. I'm not good at this game, and on turn 25 I have a Herdstone on Naggarond, Quintex, and the Crone's capitals...all fully devastated with rank 3 Herdstone garrisons with multiple shrines on each. They're basically unassailable by any remaining DE factions.

I haven't even bothered with a second army yet, or really even upgrading my caps except for one upgrade to play with Razorgor Herds.

For the first time ever, I'm considering going up to VH because there's literally been no challenge so far.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 14, 2021

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
A question: I was trying to download the FLC lords for Total War Access, and I'd apparently forgotten my password. I requested a password reset email or whatever 3 hours ago and it hasn't come in. Is this normal?

I'm at work right now but I tried Taurox for 30 minutes and holy poo poo, being a Beastmen fan since day 1 has finally paid off.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Nordland is currently dealing with a minor chaos corruption problem, with 2 points of untainted and *checks notes* 95 points of chaos corruption.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Apparently I never claimed a some of the Total Access giveaways.. Glade Champion, 30th anniversary regiments, and that goblin Spidershrine mount.

Now for Steam to finish installing everything and to boot up my new dwarves..

e: weird, for some reason I cannot get Ogre Mercs & Brey Shaman to show up in my DLC list, but the site says redeemed.

ee: oh, nevermind.. it just got dated as 2017 for some reason.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 14, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Malagor is horribly broken in a hilarious way. He can get Cygor summons at level 3 and there's a trivially easy to research tech that boosts your number of casts of your summon skills per battle, and an infinitely craftable arcane item that gives you 2 cygor summons, meaning Malagor can summon 5 cygors per battle(plus two for every Bray Shaman you bring along assuming you mass produce said item).

Plus, you know, the little stuff, like being naturally flying at 120+ speed despite being a tiny infantry model that is almost impossible to hit with arrows and having pendulum and flock of doom and infinite winds of magic.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I thought attacking Ulthuan was going to be hard but now that the beastmen can ambush like the skaven it's a massacre. Every time you take a settlement, the elves send a response army which gets ambushed and obliterated.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i don't care that much about single player balance but these beastie boys sound a little op.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

uber_stoat posted:

i don't care that much about single player balance but these beastie boys sound a little op.

It's pretty nuts and easily rivals the Skryre/Moulder releases, imo. I'm like 80 turns into a Malagor VH/VH and I'm actually a bit bored.

Aside from the insane buffs to the lords, losses really don't matter; all your units are free to recruit and you get an insane amount of recruitment slots through natural upgrades, so you can very easily just replace any units that get mangled every single turn if you want to the point where even Raise Dead factions get super jealous. They gave Beastmen a free bit of movement after a sack/raze, meaning they can always enter camp stance to facilitate this. The lack of upkeep means that you can very easily roll around with 3-4 20 stacks in a big pile like you're a mini chaos invasion(or split them off, if you want), and unit caps are easy/cheap enough to raise that those stacks don't have to be all crappy ungors, either.

I honestly haven't even used any of the new units.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I love the smell of Ulthuan burning under eternal lava rivers in the morning.

Also, once you get going a bit, it's really easy to sustain Ogre mercenaries as the beastmen through sacking. You don't really need the regular ogres, but the ogre cavalry is always nice to have.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'll enjoy the Elf slaughter while it lasts!

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Trip report for Taurox:

Never played Beastmen before, only faced them a few times ever in campaign (usually enemy beastmen hordes are easy to autoresolve) or in multiplayer. Taurox is busted beyond belief between his campaign mechanics, his abilities on the battlefield, and the new herdstone system for Beastmen. I got about 25-ish turns in and had wiped three DE factions off the map already (two minor ones and Morathi) with just the one army. I put all my Dread towards herdstone upgrades and only had the one army. You can kind of just roll with whatever units/capacity you get from horde buildings (and 2/3 of Taurox's starting units are insanely good) without having to worry about spending dread on capacity. As an aside, I also had about 1/2 the regiments of renown roster available to me at this point too, which seemed crazy early but I guess that's what happens when you push Taurox through 2-4 battles a turn

E: This is one VH/H campaign/battle, respectively

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The interesting thing that I noticed is that a lot of the beastmen bonuses from herdstones and stuff also apply to warriors of Chaos. I wonder if you eventually get the ability to recruit them once the final invasion kicks off, sort of like how Norsca gets a choice to join in or resist.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
dwarves are pretty fun.

thorex or whatev's vortex campaign feels kinda eh but it's somewhere else other then the usual dwarfpit, so there's that. You're basically fighting the usual except for orcs.

the runes for banners are unnecessarily cheap including the "explosion and autoaim artillery" ones which is a big lmao

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gamerofthegame posted:

dwarves are pretty fun.

thorex or whatev's vortex campaign feels kinda eh but it's somewhere else other then the usual dwarfpit, so there's that. You're basically fighting the usual except for orcs.

the runes for banners are unnecessarily cheap including the "explosion and autoaim artillery" ones which is a big lmao
Cant unsee, now going to call him Thorax the Runesmith or whatever his title is.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Dramicus posted:

I thought attacking Ulthuan was going to be hard but now that the beastmen can ambush like the skaven it's a massacre. Every time you take a settlement, the elves send a response army which gets ambushed and obliterated.

Technically the Skaven ambush like the Beastmen - Beastmen have had ambush on attack since their DLC was originally released.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Playing some Khazrak, apparently Beastmen can trade now if you put a herdstone on the coast lol.

Also got him an item called "the Chalice of Chaos", is this new? It's pretty good.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
ogres look so loving good. dont care about anything else in the patch. its good.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Dramicus posted:

I love the smell of Ulthuan burning under eternal lava rivers in the morning.

Also, once you get going a bit, it's really easy to sustain Ogre mercenaries as the beastmen through sacking. You don't really need the regular ogres, but the ogre cavalry is always nice to have.

Hell yeah, lets burn the toilet together friend! :hfive:

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Is there a defense against Black Ark bombardment other than "when you see targeting symbol, run like hell"? I'm sick of watching my troops get wrecked by 3 flavors of orbital death in quick succession.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Mechanical Ape posted:

Is there a defense against Black Ark bombardment other than "when you see targeting symbol, run like hell"? I'm sick of watching my troops get wrecked by 3 flavors of orbital death in quick succession.

nope lol. just uhhh micro your dudes away from the icon that literally sticks to them (but only if the ai is using it.)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, Oxyotl gotta be the most annoying vs multiplayer lord lol. Just set up silent sanctums all over your opponents lands and buy the %chance to ambush enemy army upgrade in each of them.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Mechanical Ape posted:

Gonna have to sink that ark.

Continuing the Morghur adventure, one thing I noticed with doing herdstones in busy areas (empire/Bretonnia), is that it’s a little tricky to actually keep everything razed so the ritual locks it down. With a herdstone in the north mountains between Bretonnia and the Empire, I have about 8 different factions swarming around the area and they’ll keep resettling wherever I’m not. But I get the ritual points either way so I’ve been aiming to get at least half of the potential settlements perma-razed.

I also just found beastmen specific armour that gives 8 health a second. Morghur isn’t going down anytime soon.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I was wrong about being able to craft the common runes multiple times and blech. That I can only ever have three 10% missile resist runes is kinda underwhelming.

The rest of the dwarf rework is cool though.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Dwarfs with Ogre Cavalry is just :discourse:

Edit:

They go 90 speed with the Strollaz runes lol

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 14, 2021

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Continuing the Morghur adventure, one thing I noticed with doing herdstones in busy areas (empire/Bretonnia), is that it’s a little tricky to actually keep everything razed so the ritual locks it down. With a herdstone in the north mountains between Bretonnia and the Empire, I have about 8 different factions swarming around the area and they’ll keep resettling wherever I’m not. But I get the ritual points either way so I’ve been aiming to get at least half of the potential settlements perma-razed.

I also just found beastmen specific armour that gives 8 health a second. Morghur isn’t going down anytime soon.

I'm decently sure that you can do the ritual when you want, and then raze the settlements around it, and since they are razed in a bloodground, they stay razed (until the herdstone comes down. At least that's what the icons say.
As far as people coming and taking a city you already razed before activating the ritual, that happened to me a couple times with my first one and it helped me get 60 devastation points or whatever with my first herdstone.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I know its technically in Northern Canada but I like to think that Al Swearengen is drunk and hanging out with a bunch of lizards in the Deadwood province

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I'm loving the Dwarf changes. Probably going to do a complete ME campaign with Thorek, but I can't decide if I should do a Vortex or ME first.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

As far as I know, you can't settle any razed settlements in a post-ritual blood grounds regardless of when they were razed compared to the ritual.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So if the target of a mission for Oxyotl gets destroyed some other way, it fails and you gotta wait 10 turns for a new one.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

id never seen the beastmen ship before and its a cool narwhal bro with a hut on his back

i feel like taurox is much cooler than 90% of the chaos warriors lords in lore. beastmen are meant to be kind of the rejects of chaos, but taurox is basically the Dark Achilles and cool as hell. the destruction of civilisation and fall of man makes a lot more sense for the beastmen than it does for the chaos humans. like what is their endgame after the world is wrecked? sit around in broken chairs? the beastmen at least just like want to have a good time in nature.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the destruction of civilisation and fall of man makes a lot more sense for the beastmen than it does for the chaos humans. like what is their endgame after the world is wrecked? sit around in broken chairs? the beastmen at least just like want to have a good time in nature.

Well it depends on which god they follow. Khorne dudes would probably want an infinite thunderdome where they literally fight until they die and get resurrected to do it all over again. Slanneshi cultists would pick random things to become obsessed with and take it to the greatest possible excess. Nurgle followers would actually try to sort of re-establish a sort of stagnant order to the world where nothing ever changes and Tzeench would try to do the opposite and failing that they would turn every part of their bodies into tentacles.

On an unrelated note: Having Ogre mercenaries with Dwarves is getting me super hyped for how the Chaos Dwarves are going to play like.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 15, 2021

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I keep buying Total War games and never getting good at them, and I want to actually sit down for a few campaigns in this game and get OK at it. I know the High Elves are a pretty good learning campaign; are there any others that would be good or should I just pick a faction since they all can play differently anyway? I have uh, all the DLC except for the newest and Beastmen because I'm very good with only buying games and DLC I play.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

I keep buying Total War games and never getting good at them, and I want to actually sit down for a few campaigns in this game and get OK at it. I know the High Elves are a pretty good learning campaign; are there any others that would be good or should I just pick a faction since they all can play differently anyway? I have uh, all the DLC except for the newest and Beastmen because I'm very good with only buying games and DLC I play.

High Elves are a good mix of a solid army that does almost everything and a very secure starting position (if you pick a lord on Ulthuan).

Dwarves are also really straight forward in how they play and are pretty forgiving because all of their units have heavy armor. However, their position on the map can be challenging for new players because they are surrounded by hostiles on all sides.

Empire is like a squishier version of the High Elves with the artillery of the Dwarves and a vulnerable starting position.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
play empire. theyre a good beginner campaign while still challenging. really master those first 10 turns.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Imo the only good beginner HE lord is Tyrion, but he's probably the best beginner lord in the game. Alarielle can be a bit tricky until you unite Ulthuan, and Eltharion just has a kind of weird half-assed campaign on Vortex.

I'd also like to add Kroq-Gar and Noctilus as beginner lord choices.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Gor Rok and Tyrion are usually the two recommended beginner campaigns offering forgiving starts and powerful, straightforward lords.

Honestly, if your having trouble getting started a better idea might be to just pick a race that appeals to you, and ask the thread which is the best beginner lord and for strategies for that faction. Playing someone that appeals to you personally can go a long way to helping push forward when your still learning the game and libel to get frustrated, as oppose to being frustrated and playing a LL that you find boring or otherwise unappealing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Don't sleep on Ogre mercenaries. They are stupidly good additions to pretty much every faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

juggalo baby coffin posted:

id never seen the beastmen ship before and its a cool narwhal bro with a hut on his back

i feel like taurox is much cooler than 90% of the chaos warriors lords in lore. beastmen are meant to be kind of the rejects of chaos, but taurox is basically the Dark Achilles and cool as hell. the destruction of civilisation and fall of man makes a lot more sense for the beastmen than it does for the chaos humans. like what is their endgame after the world is wrecked? sit around in broken chairs? the beastmen at least just like want to have a good time in nature.

The beastmen don’t want to sit in nature, they want to corrupt that as well, cause they despise order, that includes natural order.

For Chaos champions the majority want to progress down the path to glory and become a daemon prince. Some want to conquer, some don’t have a fancy end goal beyond enjoying themselves, some just want to destroy Archaon for example wants to end the world.

Also the beastmen are not Chaos’ rejects so much as it’s less favoured child. The dark gods know the Beasts will act as the Chaos gods want them to with no gifts or rewards required to make them act this way, so they pay more attention to the humans who they bribe into service.