Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Tom Tucker posted:

Also if they didn't show us her eyes changing colors then most people would watch the whole episode and go "oh man who blew up that dude's head in that scene?! That's crazy! I'm glad Hughie is finally getting away from all this intrigue and violence."

"I don't get who's doing the exploding! We see the church head explode and then it cuts to Neumann who happens to be outside right after their phone call, just smiling and walking away? Why would she even be there and why was her head not exploded too?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Imagine how dumb the average television viewer is, and then remember that half the audience is dumber than that.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Royal Updog posted:

Maybe its like a fart in that she can hold it in while in polite company but doesn't bother when no ones about

It seems more like what they do in Supernatural where they'll show a person is actually a demon or other creature by their eyes taking on different colors/shapes for only the audience to see.

Mostly I wanted to quote this for posterity though

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

multijoe posted:

I thought Butcher was meant to be Australian for most of S1

Wait...he's not?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GD_American posted:

Just say something like “he breastfed until he was 5 and the nickname stuck” and then move the gently caress on, there’s no payoff there

Butcher said they call him that because he's as sweet as Mother's Milk in S1, don't think they need anything more than that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Wait...he's not?

His mum and dad are English and he was in the SAS so it seems like he's meant to be too. I think his accent is jut a Kiwi trying to do cockney and getting lost halfway

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I never questioned it tbh. That's just how Butcher talks and who am I to tell him otherwise?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

christmas boots posted:

I never questioned it tbh. That's just how Butcher talks and who am I to tell him otherwise?

During the final fight Homelander's just like "What kind of accent is that anyway" Butcher replies "It's MY loving accent you yankee oval office!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Butcher’s accent is simply “what a Kiwi thinks a Brit sounds like” but since the audience is mostly US, and we all think that WE know what British people sound like, so it works out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Butcher’s accent is simply “what a Kiwi thinks a Brit sounds like” but since the audience is mostly US, and we all think that WE know what British people sound like, so it works out.

...is it?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you've never seen a Southern hoke up his accent when he's the only Southerner in a room, I can only tell you that there's an explanation for whatever comes out of Butcher's mouth.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
his accent is fukken diabolical ya daft cunts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

his accent is fukken diabolical ya daft cunts.

It's genuinely terrible, one of the worst fake British accents I've heard since Buffy. I love Karl Urban, but jesus.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love that the accent's bad and I feel like it works with Butcher kind of hiding his background from the others. I hope the show pokes more fun at it too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ptkfvk posted:

did anyone get the feeling the homelander may have eaten a few of those guys in the house? it could easily have been blood spray from ripping people apart but just combining comic HL and noir into one character losing it as things fall apart is a better way to go than the comics route. its probably too early to go that wild with HL and have him just eat someone.

We haven't even seen homelander eat food let alone human beings

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

We haven't even seen homelander eat food let alone human beings

milk is food

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Good point, but I don't think he drinks it for sustenance so much as a symptom of his mommy issues.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

GD_American posted:

If you've never seen a Southern hoke up his accent when he's the only Southerner in a room, I can only tell you that there's an explanation for whatever comes out of Butcher's mouth.

Due the varied accents in the UK we actually do the opposite, talking slower and more clearly, with little or no vernacular.

I think the accent is just a show joke of some kind. Using words that sound like UK vernacular but aren't. Like his friend that sells him out, he says he had called "the plodder." A phrase nobody has used for the police ever. His aunt said something to MM about Hughie being the spitting of Lennie. Nobody says that, "the spit" maybe, but not spitting without image to go with it. It can be really jarring.

They are taking the piss.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's genuinely terrible, one of the worst fake British accents I've heard since Buffy. I love Karl Urban, but jesus.

off topic, but who do you mean from buffy? because the main three english people on that show all have really good accents and one of them is actually english.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I had no clue Wesley wasn’t actually English, and I’m actually English.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Collateral posted:

They are taking the piss.

Potentially, but tbh I find it easier to believe that it's just Hollywood Dick Van Dyke-ing it again. It's pretty cringe.

roomtone posted:

off topic, but who do you mean from buffy? because the main three english people on that show all have really good accents and one of them is actually english.

That one potential slayer in Season 7. The one they killed off her accent was so bad.

Also James Masters is great, until you ask him to say "poof" or "row" and then it's head in hands time again.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i learn how to speak Brit English from bands.

Sup up your beer and collect your fags,
There's a row going on down near Slough

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I sometimes can’t tell the difference between an English accent and an Australian accent :shrug:

:fsmug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can tell the difference but not between New Zealand and Australia. Though thanks to seeing Taika Waititi movies it's becoming more distinctive.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I can tell the difference but not between New Zealand and Australia. Though thanks to seeing Taika Waititi movies it's becoming more distinctive.

thanks Taika and Flight of the Conchords for letting Americans know that New Zealand exists.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

uber_stoat posted:

thanks Taika and Flight of the Conchords for letting Americans know that New Zealand exists.

Viva La Dirt League on YouTube.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Julio Cruz posted:

bingeing through now and just finished episode 2

it's been a while since I watched S1 but was Butcher always this much of an rear end in a top hat? he's happy to manipulate the other Boys into helping him but he really doesn't seem to give a poo poo about them and would happily sell any one of them out if it would help him achieve his personal goal

The way he forced Frenchie to work with him and Hughie was pretty hosed up. He at least gave MM a choice but he made sure Translucent would see Frenchie's face too to make sure Frenchie would help.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is a HUGE point that slipped my mind. This makes me think she really is an independent actor. Maybe she's playing everyone to becomes President or something?

This implies that Vought doesn't know about her either so then how did she get her powers? It's hosed up to think that anyone would intentionally inject themselves with CV not knowing what would happen, just in case they got powers they could use to ascend the tiers of government. You're basically doing a YOLO with your life. But I case there are a lot of crazy people in the world. But then ho did she get the V? Is she a relatively new supe who somehow got her hands on the sample that Starlight gave the press? Or did she manage to get a lost sample from when A-Train was running it all over the globe?

There are a lot of possibilities!

I really am interested to see where she goes. We're being led to believe via her targets that she's with Vought and she's going to take after her comic counterpart as a Vought government plant, but at the same time I think the writers would subvert it because it would be too obvious.

Based on almost nothing I'm putting my vote in for some form of a sleeper agent split personality or she's genuinely seeking justice against Vought in a 'long con' and she's willing to use other peoples' lives as pawns. Maybe she's even thinking about Homelander and what would happen if Vought had lost there. Her targets overall during the courtroom scene were mixed of convenient for Vought and unconnected, which helps the people fighting against Vought in-universe believe it's just a play. Whatever the case is with her, I believe Edgar is connected.

There's almost no way the existence of a supe with that power would fly under the radar unless she was a natural birth from runaway supes. Before recent events only Vought had the ability to make supes and natural births were thought impossible. If anyone knew of her existence, it would be Vogelbaum and Edgar.

Or she just said gently caress it and injected herself around the end of season one, came out as "Alexandria Ocasio-Cortex"

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 16, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also James Masters is great, until you ask him to say "poof" or "row" and then it's head in hands time again.

I recall someone saying that James Marsters' British accent was beyond criticism as "not even the Space Shuttle can go from Sydney to Johannesburg via New York and London in under two seconds".

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Viva La Dirt League on YouTube.

It took me several months and clicking on their Bored videos before I realized they were Kiwis.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Also watch Outrageous Fortune for proper kiwi accents (and some of the best TV from nz)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Would Translucent really explode everywhere like that from a bomb? Considering how loving invulnerable his skin seems to be, wouldn't his organs flash-cooked or something, just leaving a shell in the form of Translucent?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

Would Translucent really explode everywhere like that from a bomb? Considering how loving invulnerable his skin seems to be, wouldn't his organs flash-cooked or something, just leaving a shell in the form of Translucent?

I guess I'm just curious if it was a presentation choice

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Kripke said that logically he'd be turned to paste on the inside and it would shoot out his orifices due to his invulnerable skin. They went with the explosion because it was better on camera.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

Kripke said that logically he'd be turned to paste on the inside and it would shoot out his orifices due to his invulnerable skin. They went with the explosion because it was better on camera.

Oh, that's really interesting! Thanks for that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

McSpanky posted:

Actually the bomb exploding and shooting all his guts out through his rear end in a top hat, blasting his body around the room like an invisible bottle rocket would've been pretty incredible.

YES

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 16, 2021

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Oh god I forgot how hard I laughed at that image when I was reading through the early parts

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Thundercracker posted:

Lol, if her eyes hadn't gone white. It'll be 100 pages of goons arguing if she was the head popper until season 3.

What if there was a second exploder on the knoll??

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Lamplighter thing was just weird to me because he straight up told Mallory that killing him would be doing him a favor as though he's been suicidally guilty since he killed her grandkids and he could've self-immolated anytime he wanted to but didn't, and then a couple days later when Hughie convinces him that he could do something useful and heroic to make his father proud he goes along with it and then kills himself for no reason. Rescuing Starlight and her mom and then testifying against Vought could have been a fresh start for him and could have set him on the path to do more good things (that wouldn't necessarily redeem him but would at least make his father proud) but then he just suddenly works up the courage to piss it all away and kill himself out of nowhere? K?

My guess is that the writers didn't want The Boys to start amassing supe allies beyond Kimiko so they had to find a way to kill him off, although they could've just had him get his head popped during the hearing too.

Plus he should have negated his whole reason for going to Vought by setting himself on fire. Good thing Hughie could still use his fingerprints!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Jet fuel can't melt lamplighter's fingerprints