Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Takuan posted:

Also my wife's favorite now is Kotonowaka, because he has "boobs on top of his boobs".

I call him Quad Boob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Terunofuji's Stablemaster aka Glasses Judge vs The Beefcake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTBD_n2bEf8

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lid posted:

Such a great match. Asahifuji gets the rope, Chiyonofuji manages one more yusho before retiring within a year, and Asahifuji retires the year after.

Sumo is crazy.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I went all in on Kotonowaka early but it has taken him a few bashos of sub-par performance to find his stride apparently. How typical that he should start performing as soon as I gave up on him. Absolute jerk.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

net work error posted:

Kiribayama and Takayasu was about 2 hours long I think.

I don't blame Tak for losing that one. I was winded at the end just watching that feature-length gropefest

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

So Terunofuji probably just secured the rope today. Whatever happens, he will be a runner up because the only person who can pass him up is Hakuho. He already has two yushos this year and a jun yusho should be enough, especially with the YDC saying they are very high on him.

Kotonowaka doing so well this tournament is nice. Want nothing but the best for that adult baby.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

So Terunofuji probably just secured the rope today. Whatever happens, he will be a runner up because the only person who can pass him up is Hakuho. He already has two yushos this year and a jun yusho should be enough, especially with the YDC saying they are very high on him.

a playoff loss will almost certainly count, a straight loss to Hakuho on day 15 might count, but if Hakuho goes 15-0 and Teru goes 13-2 or 12-3 I don't think they promote him

Tonight's the night! Shodai will do what others could not!

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Did some of my trades not get registered? I'm having trouble understanding how I'm doing this staggeringly bad

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

a playoff loss will almost certainly count, a straight loss to Hakuho on day 15 might count, but if Hakuho goes 15-0 and Teru goes 13-2 or 12-3 I don't think they promote him

Tonight's the night! Shodai will do what others could not!

They didn’t promote Takakeisho after a 12-3J/13-2Y so not promoting Teru on a 12-3Y/13-2J would be fair. 14-1J would be an interesting call.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I think if he is 14-1 it is almost assured. They really don't have anyone else that is going to be a Yoko anytime soon and while it is exciting to have Yoko-less sumo, it also makes the sport look bad.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think if he is 14-1 it is almost assured. They really don't have anyone else that is going to be a Yoko anytime soon and while it is exciting to have Yoko-less sumo, it also makes the sport look bad.

I figure that if Hakuho and Terunofuji both make it to the last day at 14-0 then their match is basically a playoff, and a playoff loss gets you the rope.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think to be honest with you, there's a good chance it'll be a Terunofuji zensho-yusho. On current form he could absolutely beat Hakuho on the first asking.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

So um... What was the deal with the fonts in today's Kintayama video?

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Takuan posted:

It's font day!

It's just a thing that happens once every basho. Maybe to help him from going crazy when putting the vids together, or maybe to make certain viewers go crazy just 'cuz.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Takuan posted:

At least they were all fairly legible and not too far on the Wingdings side of things.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
They'd be loving crazy not to promote teru with two straight yushos and a jun yusho to hakuho. He's got it imo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, I think Teru would have to drop 3 straight to be out of the rope conversation.

Excellent day of bouts. Any day Ura does gymnastics is a good day, especially when he wins. I also loved the Terutsuyoshi vs. Chiyoshoma leg vs. leg battle.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Kotonowaka and Hoshoryu are my two new favs from this cup

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Kotonowaka doing so well this tournament is nice. Want nothing but the best for that adult baby.

I really liked Kotonowaka when he debuted in makuuchi, but it took him a couple basho of getting kicked around after his initial success to get back on his feet. He's looking really confident now, and is doing excellent orthodox sumo. I've said it before, but he reminds me of pre-injury Kisenosato, but looks even more like a gigantic baby.

Beeswax posted:

I went all in on Kotonowaka early but it has taken him a few bashos of sub-par performance to find his stride apparently. How typical that he should start performing as soon as I gave up on him. Absolute jerk.

:smith::hf::smith:

Cage Kicker posted:

Did some of my trades not get registered? I'm having trouble understanding how I'm doing this staggeringly bad

You're being weighed down by Wakatakakage and Tokushoryu! But yeah you got both Takanosho and Terunofuji in trade.

Lid posted:

I love how rowdy poo poo was during the Chiyonofuji era. Looking forward to getting back to cheering post COVID.

Day 12 standings:

code:
44	captainblastum
42.5	GoatSeeGuy
42.5	Kenning
42	bartolimu
41	MyChemicalImbalance
41	whats for dinner
40.5	Lid
40.5	Skjorte
38.5	Brut
38.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
38.5	jmzero
37.5	MalarkeyToboggan
37	Charles Gnarwin
36.5	scripterror
36.5	Thauros
36	bessantj
36	Maigius
36	Vargatron
35.5	Fluffdaddy
35.5	Pakled
35.5	Scythe
34	Banana Canada
34	Chinook
34	Dias
34	pseudodragon
34	Tiny Bug Child
33.5	Tochiazuma
33	Beeswax
33	Neodoomium
33	Teddybear
32	anakha
32	Ice Phisherman
32	ratmosphere
31.5	Jobbo_Fett
31	QuasiQuack
30.5	Helianthus Annuus
30	Biosys
30	Khizan
30	Marching Powder
29.5	Cage Kicker
29.5	Shiroc
29.5	sivad
28.5	Liquid Communism
28	Crusty Nutsack
26	Robviously
Juryo

code:
38.5	TwoWordName
37.5	KungFu Grip
35	Bellwether
34.5	LlamaTrauma
31	Netsky
27.5	Communist Thoughts
27.5	Halloween Jack
26	rare Magic card l00k
25.5	NuclearPotato
24	Eli949
24	ilmucche
23.5	Martytoof
22.5	Log082
17.5	Foehammer007
14	Glugglugs
We're gonna see a lot of movement up and down in the arasoi over the next couple days as a lot of kachi-koshi and make-koshi come in. Coming into the home stretch here!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Thinking about it, has anybody ever gone back-to-back yusho straight off of an ozeki promotion before? I did some sumo db searches and can't find anything, but I'm not sure I did the right searches.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Also, Ura's performance from m13 this basho has been outstanding. I thought he'd struggle a lot more from there and I'm happy to be wrong.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
so who is all on the edge of kachi koshi and who's got make koshi already

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Khizan posted:

Thinking about it, has anybody ever gone back-to-back yusho straight off of an ozeki promotion before? I did some sumo db searches and can't find anything, but I'm not sure I did the right searches.

Uh, Yes? No? depends how you see this:
Edit: Wait no, that third one counts, those are 15 day bashos. Lighter yearly schedule overall though.

Here's the query if you want to include Jun-Yusho, unsurprisingly that list most recently has Hakuho, Takanohana and Chiyonofuji on it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm really surprised that Takayasu lost today. I felt like he never loses fights when they lock up and he could outlast anybody.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

so who is all on the edge of kachi koshi and who's got make koshi already

Wrestlers with 7 wins:

Shodai
Chiyoshoma
Shimanoumi
Terutsuyoshi
Tsurugisho
Chiyonokuni
Ishiura
Ichiyamamoto

Wrestlers with 7 losses:

Okinoumi
Onosho
Kaisei
Kagayaki

Currently make-koshi:

Wakatakakage
Daieisho
Tobizaru
Kotoeko
Chiyotairyu
Myogiryu
Aoiyama
Tochinoshin
Chiyomaru
Daiamami
Tokushoryu

Always remember, Sumo DB is the sumo nerd's best friend.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
They probably meant the goonzuke.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ah, in terms of the goonzuke, it's all based on final results. If your score is above the halfway mark on scores you got a KK, if it's below you have MK. Currently everyone with 32 points and lower is in MK territory, and everyone 33 points and higher is in KK territory, but we've still got 3 days left, so a lot of movement is possible.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My reaction when a rikishi I didn't pick goes make-koshi --> <-- My reaction when a rikishi I did pick goes make-koshi.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Well, only Hakuho or Terunofuji can win the yusho now, they are both on 13-0 while the next one down (Tamawashi and Kotonowaka) is just at 10.
I think that if Terunofuji wins tomorrow he's got the rope regardless of what happens on the final day. The case for yokozuna is enough if you look at historical cases. His recent record is super strong on its own. Won the last two yushos, and is at least runner-up on this one at a minimum.

Hoshoryu-Ichinojo was an absolute classic, I think that's one of those matches that will get repeat views on youtube for years. That was a belter

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A spectacular day of sumo. So many good matches, so many interesting things.

Also, I know he tends to do it a lot, but that extra shove by AOIYAMA was an unusually blatant dick move, even by his standards

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Catch the full Hoshoryu-Ichinojo match if you can folks.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well, only Hakuho or Terunofuji can win the yusho now, they are both on 13-0 while the next one down (Tamawashi and Kotonowaka) is just at 10.
I think that if Terunofuji wins tomorrow he's got the rope regardless of what happens on the final day. The case for yokozuna is enough if you look at historical cases. His recent record is super strong on its own. Won the last two yushos, and is at least runner-up on this one at a minimum.

Hoshoryu-Ichinojo was an absolute classic, I think that's one of those matches that will get repeat views on youtube for years. That was a belter

Hoshoryu with big power hell yeah that was a good one. Also props to Ishiura for also getting another win.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Takuan posted:

lol he's done it for yeaaaaars now

The whole step-out monoii in Ichinojo-Hoshoryu is so weird. To me Hoshoryu was out first because he's plummeting off the dohyo, clearly being shoved out of the ring. The second his foot goes below the dohyo it should be Ichi win imo

Hakuho just conserving energy, my man. Quick and dirty.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Omnikin posted:

lol he's done it for yeaaaaars now

The whole step-out monoii in Ichinojo-Hoshoryu is so weird. To me Hoshoryu was out first because he's plummeting off the dohyo, clearly being shoved out of the ring. The second his foot goes below the dohyo it should be Ichi win imo

I was curious about this as well. Is there a rule that it doesn't count until you actually touch the ground no matter where you are?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu when he saw yesterday's torikumi while looking for his kachikoshi:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Martytoof posted:

Takayasu when he saw yesterday's torikumi while looking for his kachikoshi:

Before the main event day 15 we’re gonna get a Takayasu-Shodai Darwin match. Unless Shodai somehow Shodais it all up by beating a Yokozuna tonight

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Huge test for Terunofuji tomorrow, of his last 5 bouts with Takayasu, Takayasu is 4-1 up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lmao Takayasu can't catch a break

Feel free to quote this and tell me what a moron I am if he pulls it off.

I'm not sure past performance is any indication of anyone beating Teru this month, though if anyone did it I would be glad if it was my man Tak

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
According to Chris Sumo sources are quoted that Terunofuji is already confirmed to be Yokozuna!

The debated reasoning is that they were worried that Hakuho might not go hard on the last day to allow Terunofuji to reach Yokozuna and with this announcement it means Hakuho can go Full Hakuho as even if he wins the basho it will mean his fellow Mongolian gets yokozuna.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Huge if true.

lol if he lost to Takayasu and Hakuho and was somehow denied

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Another barn burner today, this has been excellent sumo. Ura throwing the kitchen sink at Kaisei was loving awesome, as was Hoshoryu throwing the boulder.

Coming into the weekend things are heating up for fantasy. We've still got 13 rikishi that haven't gone KK or MK yet, and there are still the special prizes to be handed out.

Day 13 standings:

Makuuchi

code:
47	captainblastum
45.5	GoatSeeGuy
45.5	Kenning
45	bartolimu
45	whats for dinner
44.5	Lid
44.5	Skjorte
44	MyChemicalImbalance
43.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
42.5	scripterror
42	Charles Gnarwin
41.5	jmzero
40.5	Brut
40.5	MalarkeyToboggan
40	Dias
40	Maigius
40	Vargatron
39.5	Scythe
39	bessantj
39	Chinook
39	Thauros
38.5	Pakled
38	Beeswax
37	Banana Canada
37	Fluffdaddy
37	Neodoomium
37	pseudodragon
37	Tochiazuma
36.5	anakha
36.5	Jobbo_Fett
35.5	Helianthus Annuus
35.5	Teddybear
35.5	Tiny Bug Child
35	Ice Phisherman
35	ratmosphere
34.5	Cage Kicker
34.5	sivad
34	Marching Powder
33.5	Biosys
33	Shiroc
32.5	Khizan
32.5	Liquid Communism
32.5	QuasiQuack
30.5	Crusty Nutsack
29	Robviously
Juryo

code:
44.5	TwoWordName
43.5	KungFu Grip
41	Bellwether
38.5	LlamaTrauma
37	Netsky
30.5	Communist Thoughts
29	Halloween Jack
28.5	NuclearPotato
28	Eli949
28	rare Magic card l00k
27.5	Martytoof
27	ilmucche
25.5	Log082
19.5	Foehammer007
18	Glugglugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm hoping Meisei secures a KK by closing day. I think he's done well at his rank this tournament.