Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rusty posted:

My neighbor recently got one, I saw it once when the garage was open about a month ago and haven't seen it since. It's one of the orange ones. I commented on them before, but they are just really great looking cars and I love seeing them on the road.

This right here is my problem with Corvette owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

C8 was disappointing until i saw one in person, the geometry of it looks awesome and pops out when you see it from a real three dimensional perspective

Coevettes are too fast for a manual to be properly entertaining on the street anyway

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Wheeee posted:

C8 was disappointing until i saw one in person, the geometry of it looks awesome and pops out when you see it from a real three dimensional perspective

Yeah it looks 100% better in person. The first time I saw it coming up on me I thought it was a Mclaren from a distance.

Powershift posted:

One of the Ford dealers here has a Bronco sitting on the corner of their lot. $76k sticker plus $23k market adjustment.

They're still probably going to be everywhere, it's pretty hot.

Wait what? 99k$!!!!???? WHAT?!?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The C8 is also very much a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde design, where the personality of the vehicle is very much directly influenced by its colour. Smurf blue makes it look like a hot wheels car. Zeus brown makes it look like a Lexus space ship. Both of which are amazing in completely different ways.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I want to see once in Zeus Brown. I'd boomer spec the hell out of one if I could afford it - metallic brown, beige/brown interior, yellow calipers was how I optioned it out on Chevys website

I've only seen black and white so far, maybe a red one.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

It will remain wild to me that the same company that regularly produces garbage like the Chevy Cruze and Buick Envision managed to deliver a car that accurately benchmarks a Ferrari 458 for the price of a 6-cylinder C-Class.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godzilla07 posted:

It will remain wild to me that the same company that regularly produces garbage like the Chevy Cruze and Buick Envision managed to deliver a car that accurately benchmarks a Ferrari 458 for the price of a 6-cylinder C-Class.

That’s the most frustrating thing with GM. It’s not that they can’t build world-beating cars, it’s that they choose not to.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MrYenko posted:

That’s the most frustrating thing with GM. It’s not that they can’t build world-beating cars, it’s that they choose not to.

They choose not to because Corvettes are halo cars that don't make them money, but the cheap garbage does.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Didn't the development of the new C8 platform cost them multiple-billion dollars? They'll surely never pay that off with Corvette sales, they must be banking on building 20 different models up off the same platform.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

Didn't the development of the new C8 platform cost them multiple-billion dollars? They'll surely never pay that off with Corvette sales, they must be banking on building 20 different models up off the same platform.

I think more it's just a brand-name ambassador ('halo' car) to improve the image and sales of everything else.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

LeeMajors posted:

It's probably one of the demo Broncos dealers got. They can't sell it for 7 months but I'm sure they can get a wait list for it.

Ford is having big issues with some parts right now (mostly the hard tops). They have a multi year backlog of orders and reservations but apparently they are going to be building dealer stock this year because of production constraints. They are out of specific parts for customer orders but can still build other models without those parts that people didn't order so to keep the lines running they are starting dealer orders for lesser models.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

LeeMajors posted:

That's in Canadian dollarydoos, still awful though.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

this is just the first generation of the C8 platform, they'll probably be evolving this platform until the Corvette goes full EV

wildly impressive performance for something that's entirely new for the company and still isn't fully sorted. multiple people who've tracked them have noted fairly substantial updates/changes in suspension tuning since release already

a handful of years from now the C8 ZR1 will be one of the fastest ICE cars ever produced and still be primarily driven by doughy old white guys to the pharmacy and golf club

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Wheeee posted:

this is just the first generation of the C8 platform, they'll probably be evolving this platform until the Corvette goes full EV

wildly impressive performance for something that's entirely new for the company and still isn't fully sorted. multiple people who've tracked them have noted fairly substantial updates/changes in suspension tuning since release already

a handful of years from now the C8 ZR1 will be one of the fastest ICE cars ever produced and still be primarily driven by doughy old white guys to the pharmacy and golf club

I think the platform is already designed to accommodate EV drivetrains.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

yea i should have said exclusively EV, oop

while i'm not the target demo for the C8 i totally get it, ignoring performance entirely it has the street presence of an exotic for the price of a not particularly well optioned Cayman. i expect the Z06 and ZR1 are going to look wild

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wheeee posted:

My favorite part is that every Corvette also has some sort of vanity platy like "UD LOSE" or "2Fast 4U", that you get to stare at for the entire drive stuck behind them on a twisty mountain roads because they drive slower than poo poo.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Looks like Kia is killing the Stinger sooner than expected, Q2 2022. Ah well, still got 7 years left on my warranty and like not seeing many of the same model on the roads. Always sad to see an affordable rwd sedan die though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much expected, it's not a popular model, but still sad to see.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

They haven't cancelled the G70 yet, at least there's that.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Rakekniven posted:

My favorite part is that every Corvette also has some sort of vanity platy like "UD LOSE" or "2Fast 4U", that you get to stare at for the entire drive stuck behind them on a twisty mountain roads because they drive slower than poo poo.

If I hit the lottery I'm getting one that says fiero.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rakekniven posted:

64 in the passing lane :cool:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I think I'm just weird in that I don't really like the C8 all that much. Something seems... off about the proportions in person. I see them daily where I live, all different colors and there's something about the side intake vent that bothers me and the relation to the other proportions. I think it's how far it protrudes out and that it comes forward at the top so much. I think I'd like the way it looked more without the black accent around it.

I do agree however that they look better without the wing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I think I'm just weird in that I don't really like the C8 all that much. Something seems... off about the proportions in person. I see them daily where I live, all different colors and there's something about the side intake vent that bothers me and the relation to the other proportions. I think it's how far it protrudes out and that it comes forward at the top so much. I think I'd like the way it looked more without the black accent around it.

Body colored accents are a factory option and I prefer the look when we I play around with the configurator.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Body colored accents are a factory option and I prefer the look when we I play around with the configurator.

Yeah, it's just every one of them that I've seen has had the black/carbon fiber one for it.

I will also admit that I have awful taste in the way cars look however as I'm planning to purchase a california next spring which has a... weird to say the least back end. Although I'm planning to modify it to return the brake/turn lights to the way they were intended to look.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not sure I'd touch a modified Ferrari. Not because of aesthetic concerns but more out of a wish to not suddenly die in a fiery explosion.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Minnesota Mixup posted:

The requirement for the trunk to hold golf clubs is specifically to blame for the weird proportions at the back of the car.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Yeah, it's just every one of them that I've seen has had the black/carbon fiber one for it.

I will also admit that I have awful taste in the way cars look however as I'm planning to purchase a california next spring which has a... weird to say the least back end. Although I'm planning to modify it to return the brake/turn lights to the way they were intended to look.
Ooh well done. I could never get over the fact that the "real" brake lights are in the bumper; do you mean coding them so they actually behave properly?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

^^^^^
I'll reroute the connections/functions using the power supplied by the car. Also will be wrapping it so I'll be wrapping over the weird brake lights/turn signals.

KillHour posted:

I'm not sure I'd touch a modified Ferrari. Not because of aesthetic concerns but more out of a wish to not suddenly die in a fiery explosion.

I'll be doing it myself because mine is the only work that I'd trust (I have a lot of electronics experience) and will design it to be easily removed without a trace.

Rakekniven posted:

The requirement for the trunk to hold golf clubs is specifically to blame for the weird proportions at the back of the car.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I've driven a C7 since 2015, a z51 and later a grandsport (both manuals). I was stoked when the C8 was announced, but I really don't like a single thing about the looks of it. The rear quarters are just... bland, the nose is strangle pointy, and there's an awkward amount of flat decklid in the very rear that they just stick this stingray logo on. It also has the absolute worst rear profile, with these cheap fisher-price looking exhaust tips.

It reminds me of like a GTA car that's supposed to be an Italian brand but they changed it just enough to avoid a lawsuit. I've seen it in person and I honestly prefer the design of the former generation.

I hope they give the rear more character when they eventually design the widebodies for the GS/Z06.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Minnesota Mixup posted:

^^^^^
I'll reroute the connections/functions using the power supplied by the car. Also will be wrapping it so I'll be wrapping over the weird brake lights/turn signals.

I'll be doing it myself because mine is the only work that I'd trust (I have a lot of electronics experience) and will design it to be easily removed without a trace.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Oh you mean you're buying a stock Ferrari and modifying it, not buying an already modified one and trying to return it to stock. Got it.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Some more GR86 content from a recent press event:

Keiichi Tsuchiya takes a couple laps in the twins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiApDt43-zI

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Blame Pyrrhus posted:

I've driven a C7 since 2015, a z51 and later a grandsport (both manuals). I was stoked when the C8 was announced, but I really don't like a single thing about the looks of it. The rear quarters are just... bland, the nose is strangle pointy, and there's an awkward amount of flat decklid in the very rear that they just stick this stingray logo on. It also has the absolute worst rear profile, with these cheap fisher-price looking exhaust tips.

It reminds me of like a GTA car that's supposed to be an Italian brand but they changed it just enough to avoid a lawsuit. I've seen it in person and I honestly prefer the design of the former generation.

I hope they give the rear more character when they eventually design the widebodies for the GS/Z06.

Yeah hopefully the wide bodies really help. It just looks... off to me. I also really don't like the interior either. The huge line of buttons looks stupid. And the wheel shape I don't like either. You're right that it looks like some GTA car that is just off enough everywhere.

KillHour posted:

Oh you mean you're buying a stock Ferrari and modifying it, not buying an already modified one and trying to return it to stock. Got it.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch a modified Ferrari with a 100 ft pole.

For actual automotive insanity I plan on daily driving it, sun, rain or snow. I live in the Chicago area and am going to have a heated driveway installed so I can safely get it in/out of my garage without having to clear snow. My job is flexible enough that I can always work from home if the roads haven't been cleared/it's snowing during the day.

I am also designing a kind of portal at the front of my driveway that will be remote activated and spray 360 degrees of ~25 C water to clean the car of snow and salt every time I get home. It's relatively simple to do but I'll need to design it in such a way to be serviceable but blend in with the house/neighborhood and I'm sure I'll need HOA approval and a building permit for it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Solution is to mount it to the top of the garage door and put in a drain inside your garage like a car wash.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ooh. An underbody car wash built into the garage is a dream of mine.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KillHour posted:

Solution is to mount it to the top of the garage door and put in a drain inside your garage like a car wash.

Yeah actually that's a really good idea. I'll have to do some thinking on that. Since I'm going to have to rip up the current driveway anyway to have the heated one installed it'd be a good time to have things like that installed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m guessing a lot of people in my area bought C8s because I’ve started seeing a ton of used C7s on the road (I can tell by the license plate sequence).

What’s really surprising, and slightly confusing, to me is that over the last couple of months I’ve started seeing Hummer H2s everywhere. I don’t know if someone had a warehouse full of them or what but I see one every couple of days.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m guessing a lot of people in my area bought C8s because I’ve started seeing a ton of used C7s on the road (I can tell by the license plate sequence).

What’s really surprising, and slightly confusing, to me is that over the last couple of months I’ve started seeing Hummer H2s everywhere. I don’t know if someone had a warehouse full of them or what but I see one every couple of days.

H2s have been coming back for the last couple years, largely because gas has been cheap enough to justify running them again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr. Apollo posted:

I saw an H3T for what felt like the first time since they came out yesterday.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I saw an H3T for what felt like the first time since they came out yesterday.

When hummer died, they had new H3T alphas for 33k here.

They’re currently worth more than that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I hope you guys are prepared for the nu-malaise era to start showing up in blogs and Bring a Trailer because it's already here. All the big, swollen plastic chrome you can handle which includes Hummer H2s and old Escalades and Navigators.
The price hike for H2s highlight it already.