Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Kinda feel Lokhir should get that Decision Imrik gets where after taking a set number of settlements, you get to choose if you want to confederate your home province (Caledor/Karond kar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just finished a Thorek campaign on VH, I think I had my starting province at T4 by around turn 70. I went straight for public order and growth tech, had the growth commandment up the entire time, and had growth buildings in each town. Didn’t mess around with character growth bonuses or the battle growth mechanic (I want gold, not prisoners!).

It was slow, but it was fine. Tier 3 having long beards, slayers, thunderers and cannons gave plenty of unit variety, I thought.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Elukka posted:

How do you do Imrik on ME? The campaign appeals to me for some reason but I just can't manage it. No allies, enemies all around. I can't even beat Clan Eshin because I can barely afford one half-decent stack and then eventually you have a billion orcs and probably Malus on you too.

Imrik's campaign is pretty tough and the real key to success IMO is you need to be able to use his ridiculous in-battle stats, dragons and abilities to clutch heroic wins all the time. His starting province honestly sucks both in terms of value and vulnerability. Strategically you really, really need to put Clan Eshin into the dirt very, very early or else you will get bogged down in a hellwar as they will send 2-3 stacks and besiege 2 of your settlements constantly.

LOTW has a good guide on Imrik ME here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsei1eRcTXk

There are some alternatives to this strategy, if you can finagle enough influence you can try to turn Grimgor or Eshin into neutral, if not allies or I've heard you can take the option to confederate with Caledor, move Imrik to Ulthuan and get your campaign out of the Darklands altogether, although I have never tried this myself

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Kinda feel Lokhir should get that Decision Imrik gets where after taking a set number of settlements, you get to choose if you want to confederate your home province (Caledor/Karond kar).

They added that with the Rakarth patch, he and Rakarth actually race for the privilege

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

They added that with the Rakarth patch, he and Rakarth actually race for the privilege

Woah! Time to give him another go I guess, thanks for the heads up!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Seeing that cav is broken this patch makes sense, given how the dawi are almost unbeatable right now. As much as I love slayers massacring cavalry within 10 seconds, it feels a little unfair.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I actually wish there was a multiplayer campaign mode where the second player didn't have their own faction and instead was just there to help control some units in battles. I'd love to chill and shoot the poo poo with a friend playing where one of us just hangs out while the other one does strategic map stuff. Playing normal co-op is usually too time-intensive to ever finish.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Raygereio posted:

I've times where a bribe of several hundred thousands would barely move the success chance from low to moderate.

Sometimes the AI just hates you and the game doesn't explain why. :shrug:

Had a case of this recently where Lost Guardians just would not take any amount of bribes for a trade deal and would constantly counter-offer trying to drag me into their various, often inexplainable wars.

Some of which I accepted because I was too twitchy with the left button. :shepface:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

My fav is when barrak var refused to confederate then waited until my armies were spread out then dragged me into a war along my exposed border, thanks friends! The last defenders were weird as hell when i was thorek too, consistently rolling with 2-3 stacks yet failing to take any settlements. I love the empire reloaded mod where it prevents the empire from declaring war on each other so instead of an empire totally destroyed by turn 50 you actually have a strong union of men resisting.

I kinda wish the AI was more scripted so they'd stop just settling loving everywhere like a plague. Leave some ruins out there that spawn hostiles so you constantly have aggressive armies flowing around.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sasgrillo posted:

edit: Who was even complaining about campaigns going too fast that it required crippling growth rates?

I don't think it was campaign length they were trying to adjust so much as wanting mid tier units to get more of a time to shine and stopping players from rushing doomstacks that make big chunks of the roster obsolete. Unit caps are probably a better fix imo (if there even needs to be one), but suddenly implementing them for every faction would piss off at least as many people.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How is Khalida ME these days? I remember her being pretty rough even before the growth changes, and from what I've heard, it hit Tomb Kings especially hard.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Can’t speak to Khalida specifically, but TKs are in a pretty unfortunate state. Slow growth means that you spend a long, long time with nothing but lovely skeletons and your starting monster. I imagine the cav bugs probably are bad for chariots too which are some of the more interesting early game TK units.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Descar posted:

I wish they would add a option that would let the AI control your units, but you could take control where you wanted.

That would let the AI take control over all the infantry & such, while i could micro my chariots or cavalry.

People already mentioned it, but I'll toss a link to the mod.

I use it pretty often. I find that it isn't so great at commanding your army as a whole, but it's still very useful to toss AI control towards your infantry after the lines have clashed. Once they finish their engagements they'll run after something else nearby. Maybe not the ideal target from the ideal angle, but it's better than having to check to make sure that nobody is idle every 3 seconds.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'm properly puzzeled by how growth exists currently, I don't think I've seen a single word said in its favour and yet it's persisted throughout multiple patches. As is, not getting to even sample some units until hours into a campaign just makes no sense.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vagabong posted:

I'm properly puzzeled by how growth exists currently, I don't think I've seen a single word said in its favour and yet it's persisted throughout multiple patches. As is, not getting to even sample some units until hours into a campaign just makes no sense.

Yeah that's why I think unit caps are better, because right now there's no difference between being able to sample and being able to doomstack. They should probably just make these kinds of changes optional too, though that then requires considering two different versions of the game each time they add new content (and figuring out a rework for Tomb Kings since basically all their unique faction mechanics will have been farmed out to the rest of the game at that point), which is admittedly more work.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vagabong posted:

It's a lovely band-aid solution to try to delay the player reaching endgame "spam dragons/steam tanks/monsters/whatever" status too quickly. There are a lot of other ways to try to address that problem - unit caps, scaling upkeep costs, research unlocks, minimum lord level to have a unit in the army, etc. - but "make towns take forever to grow" is super easy and low effort.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can someone explain how the Great Herdstones are supposed to work? Where are they and what do they do? Are they Vortex or ME only or both?

Llamakazi
Jan 25, 2006

"Awr?"
RE: All this growth talk gave me an idea for a mod. What if you could use Dwarf Oathgold to pay for immediate Tiered settlements like Skaven Food does? :thunk:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can someone explain how the Great Herdstones are supposed to work? Where are they and what do they do? Are they Vortex or ME only or both?

Both. Putting a headstone in certain racial capitals gives a (very small) global bonus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Lone Badger posted:

Both. Putting a headstone in certain racial capitals gives a (very small) global bonus.

Okay. I put a herdstone on Couronne, Altdorf and Black Crag but I didn't notice anything.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Llamakazi posted:

RE: All this growth talk gave me an idea for a mod. What if you could use Dwarf Oathgold to pay for immediate Tiered settlements like Skaven Food does? :thunk:

Already asked the guy who made grungis hammer make a rune of valaya that adds public order and growth for oathgold!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay. I put a herdstone on Couronne, Altdorf and Black Crag but I didn't notice anything.

Check the descriptions again, all 3 of those places have special herdstone. Unless you got some kind of weird glitch.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mouse over the rank 5 version.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think this is all of the special herdstone locations: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/odb90n

Karaz a Karak, Naggarond and Athel Loren seem like the best ones

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
In addition to the normal herdstone stuff the special ones add factionwide buffs (Karaz e Karak adds +5 AP dmg factionwide, for example). They are fun and flavorful but don’t seem all that powerful to me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The factionwide +20% Doom-from-battles I get from each and every herdstone is appreciated though.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Does anyone have experience using SaveParser to lower army size to something less than 20? Does it break anything, and how does it affect garrisons and reinforcements? I like smaller battles and it should make playing Beastmen a bit more challenging. I guess all the AI Tomb Kings might get wiped out too but who cares.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know what's up with this?

Those are quest battle factions that are showing up in diplomacy. The Chaos ones are the two you fight with Malekith for the circlet of Iron and the Dark Elves are from the battles from his sword and shield.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mercrom posted:

Does anyone have experience using SaveParser to lower army size to something less than 20? Does it break anything, and how does it affect garrisons and reinforcements? I like smaller battles and it should make playing Beastmen a bit more challenging. I guess all the AI Tomb Kings might get wiped out too but who cares.

Can't say I've done this, but I imagine it would make quest battles either broken or very difficult.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As cool as the whole concept is, one problem I have with Herdstones is that there's only 4 construction options, and only 2 of them are particularly useful... and you get 2 construction slots. So the only real option is which order you want the useful ones in if you're not T3 yet. Even the Wood Elf outpost structures have some degree of needing to choose between them.

The casualty replenishment one is too low given it's not actually faction-wide, and "you get some siege towers and tower damage reduction" is hilariously pointless given most Beastmen players are just going to punch in the gates.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

It seems that the herdstones themselves don't have any base garrison if you build one in a norscan settlement area. I wonder if that's on purpose or not.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Lawdog69 posted:

Can’t speak to Khalida specifically, but TKs are in a pretty unfortunate state. Slow growth means that you spend a long, long time with nothing but lovely skeletons and your starting monster. I imagine the cav bugs probably are bad for chariots too which are some of the more interesting early game TK units.

I'm trying out tomb kings again after struggling with them for a while. It seems like such a grind since I can't get chariots or snake knights to work. I keep thinking I can't use them correctly but then I keep hearing stuff like this.

Aside from giant construct doom stacks (at Tier V), the TKs seems to be the "chariot" faction. I'm not sure how their cavalry and chariot units are *supposed* to work anyway.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Like cavalry but moreso. Try to aim them at thin parts of the enemy line, and charge through. Get your impact damage, and just keep moving out the other side of the enemy unit. Then circle around and look for another weak point. It takes a lot of micro, but when it works, it works well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
However if they ever get stuck they will die in about ten seconds

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Kazzah posted:

Like cavalry but moreso. Try to aim them at thin parts of the enemy line, and charge through. Get your impact damage, and just keep moving out the other side of the enemy unit. Then circle around and look for another weak point. It takes a lot of micro, but when it works, it works well.

How many chariot units per army is optimal? Since they require so much micromanagement, no more than a couple units seems reasonable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there a way to have cavalry just charge and keep going without micro? Like if I just select move will they charge the thing in their path and keep going? Last time I played heavy cav was Settra and it was just a heap of chariots that seems to do that but I wasn't ever really sure if I need to click attack then move them on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

JBP posted:

Is there a way to have cavalry just charge and keep going without micro? Like if I just select move will they charge the thing in their path and keep going? Last time I played heavy cav was Settra and it was just a heap of chariots that seems to do that but I wasn't ever really sure if I need to click attack then move them on.

Caavalry have never been able to do that. But you can hit "J" and they'll automatically disengage, though it sounds like it doesn't work very well in the current patch.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Gotta say i'm regretting the grudgeraker on engineers because it's so goddamn short ranged so realistically you won't get many shots off before being engaged where the other tree will boost you out to 200 range easy so more shots more often. I'm still baffled the engineer can't shoot on the move. It's so lame that none of the dawi units can fire on the move, miners got that animation that ensures they can't but all you'd need to do is buff the stationary ones with the animation then add blasting charges that can be thrown on the move.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Arghy posted:

Gotta say i'm regretting the grudgeraker on engineers because it's so goddamn short ranged so realistically you won't get many shots off before being engaged where the other tree will boost you out to 200 range easy so more shots more often. I'm still baffled the engineer can't shoot on the move. It's so lame that none of the dawi units can fire on the move, miners got that animation that ensures they can't but all you'd need to do is buff the stationary ones with the animation then add blasting charges that can be thrown on the move.

I would have thought the best use of the Grudgeraker engineer was to move up to the side or back of a fight locked in progress and unload into the spine of the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

One big issue with going Grudgeraker is that there's no army buffs on that line, but they stuck Ballistics Calibration on the long-range line. So it's really a choice between "do I want a shotgun that does more damage but has to be closer, or the lesser damage long-range option... that also brought along all his now very accurate and fast firing artillery (or crossbow/thunderer) buddies."