Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

xtal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbfsckxsRV0

At the beginning of this one he pinches salt with his hands that have raw meat juice on them, which seems unsanitary at worst and like it would cause gross clumps at best

In a video he and Alton Brown made a while ago he does the same thing (but I think it's raw chicken) and Alton says something about aren't you worried about cross contamination. Kenji says no he doesn't think anything can survive in the salt and Alton agrees with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It wouldn't survive in salt for a long time but if you used it twice in the same recipe it might. Even if it didn't it would still cause contamination that isn't a health risk. I don't grab salt except with perfectly clean hands.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

mystes posted:

Half the fun of his POV cooking videos is him doing stuff like this or putting a utensil in his sink and then taking it out and using it again without cleaning it and then ending up spending the entire next video arguing with the commenters about how his sink is totally clean so it's okay.

I actually think it's funny to see stuff like this compared to normal cooking videos where it's extremely carefully edited and they would never in a million years show anything like this.
I get that! And I enjoy a lack of prissiness and a feeling of a natural/homelike cooking style... except for dog saliva. To me that's on a whole nother level of wtf. But then I'm not a dog person, and wouldn't allow a dog to do this :nms: either.

Dogtent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeCYCv2ZHg0

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I feel like the salt grabbing is one of many things you'd do at home cuz who cares but not do in a restaurant. I p much do the same sorta things at home when cooking for myself and not when I cook for other people. People have low standards for themselves, I guess.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Salt, the thing people used to use to preserve meat through the winter, really isn't a source of cross contamination. You're more likely to contaminate the salt container and cross contaminate from touching it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjdwDr9xA8

Babish did a video with Rick!

More accurately, it's a Rick video on Babish's channel.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rick just out there living his best life in Mexico. Good on Babish throwing money at the ex-BA folks.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Loved this video, such chill and yet Bourdain-y energy, and so much genuine joy. Can't wait to see more of it. Also glad to see it's truly Rick's show, not one where he's Babish's guest, like the shows Sohla did in the BCU.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
nm

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 16, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjdwDr9xA8

Babish did a video with Rick!

More accurately, it's a Rick video on Babish's channel.

This is fun, but it's hard for me to articulate just how much I really detest the over-enunciation of ethnic words. Giada de Laurentiis and Aaron Sanchez do the same thing: They speak perfect English and then feel the need to switch into an accent in order to say words like "pasta" or "taco."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I used to work at Peet's there was always one customer a day that pronounced croissant the French way and it drove me nuts.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Timby posted:

This is fun, but it's hard for me to articulate just how much I really detest the over-enunciation of ethnic words. Giada de Laurentiis and Aaron Sanchez do the same thing: They speak perfect English and then feel the need to switch into an accent in order to say words like "pasta" or "taco."

Are you upset at ethnic peoples saying ethnic words in their specific ethnic languages? Or are you upset about ethnic peoples are saying ethnic words but also speak pefect English?

:thunk:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Didn’t we have this debate a few pages back. Don’t be stupid about the way people talk. Why the heck should people use the bastardized pronunciation of words? Particularly if it’s from their cultures.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mu Zeta posted:

When I used to work at Peet's there was always one customer a day that pronounced croissant the French way and it drove me nuts.

It's a French word, so...

mystes
May 31, 2006

Timby posted:

As a monolingual American, allow me to share my hot take on languages.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If it's your native language, I get it. If it's not, breaking out the French pronunciation of "croissant" at Dunkin Donuts seems like something that people do to feel superior to the minimum-wage employees.

(I'm fluent in French)

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hello, on todays show we're going to be making my version of the double western bacon cheeseburger

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Rick is an adult and is allowed to decide how he wants to pronounce the words he records on his own show. You can pronounce your words the way you want on your show. I'm pretty sure he's not using Spanish pronunciations to feel superior to the people selling him Mexican food in Mexico and getting mad about a bilingual person saying some words in perfect English and some words in perfect Spanish seems like the least important thing that there ever has been.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Tricky Ed posted:

Rick is an adult and is allowed to decide how he wants to pronounce the words he records on his own show. You can pronounce your words the way you want on your show. I'm pretty sure he's not using Spanish pronunciations to feel superior to the people selling him Mexican food in Mexico and getting mad about a bilingual person saying some words in perfect English and some words in perfect Spanish seems like the least important thing that there ever has been.

Exactly. If you "cannot articulate how much you detest" this happening, congratulations on not having anything else to worry about in your life.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Timby posted:

lol get a load of this guy. these Ethnics are too drat Ethnic for him!!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Timby posted:

Goddamn white people.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Timby posted:

You will really, REALLY enjoy the first 7 seconds of this video, then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpwY3nmLLaA

e: lol i thought this vid was more recent and therefore topical.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 16, 2021

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Im Mexican but Spanish is my second language. I specifically pronounce Spanish words like a white guy on purpose.

"I'll take 2 torr-till-eee-uuhs for my kaay-soo-diaas"

:smug:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Timby posted:

Please don't quote me in your hot takes about "ethnic words" tia~

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Im Mexican but Spanish is my second language. I specifically pronounce Spanish words like a white guy on purpose.

"I'll take 2 torr-till-eee-uuhs for my kaay-soo-diaas"

:smug:

Now do chipotle, because as an immigrant from a country without Mexican culture I learned that one the hard way

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

droll posted:

Now do chipotle, because as an immigrant from a country without Mexican culture I learned that one the hard way

My Mema pronounced it "cha-paul-tay".

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

droll posted:

It's pronounced like Aristotle.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Timby posted:

lol

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

droll posted:

Chi-poet-lay

Or the second option: chee-pot-ul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e56MuzEGZm4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should sell chipotle peppers at Chipotle. It's smoked jalapenos in a red sauce and it's delicious.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

On another topic, it might slip by the radar of a lot of this thread, but the new Nic Cage movie, Pig, is one of the most beautiful food/restaurant movies I've ever seen. It's not at all what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4nRpdONaAA

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The trailer makes it look like Pig Taken which is an amazing premise tbh

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

On another topic, it might slip by the radar of a lot of this thread, but the new Nic Cage movie, Pig, is one of the most beautiful food/restaurant movies I've ever seen. It's not at all what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4nRpdONaAA
It's and amazing food film and the best movie about someone caring too much for a pig since Babe. Nic Cage is amazing in it, but I admit I love him in everything. He really captures the exceptional nature of being a food obsessed chef.

And it's so, so pretty.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
That looks really interesting. I might be watching a nic cage film again.

Babe really holds up IMO. Watched it again a couple months back having not seen it since I was a kid. Fun feels.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I would actually advise watching the trailer for Pig. It's misleading in tone and I found that what it did spoil was really distracting while I was watching the movie, in the "Oh, this is where he says the line". I wouldn't say it ruined the movie, since I still enjoyed it, but it took away from the experience.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Have you ever watched Binging with Babish and thought “man I wish I could watch this guy gently caress up”? Well then I have the video for you!

https://youtu.be/M8DHsercsOM

You think it’s bad when he gets mocked by a world-renowned Italian chef and then proceeds to almost ruin $500 of cheese, then you get a glimpse into a 4 digit car repair bill and loving up his first try at the dish, but then he blames the cheese and is cursed by the Pecorino gods and fucks up a bone simple dish as many times as there are ingredients in Cacio e Pepe.

I like the guy but it was some good ol’ hubris and failure worthy of Roman mythology

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DC Murderverse posted:

Have you ever watched Binging with Babish and thought “man I wish I could watch this guy gently caress up”?
If you want that all you have to do is watch "Binging with Babish," a show in which he typically fucks up at least one or two things each video.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
how does a chef gently caress up that much?

mystes
May 31, 2006

droll posted:

Chef as in someone who is the head of a restaurant's kitchen professionally or chef as in some random person who operates a cooking-related youtube channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

droll posted:

There's your problem

Edit: to elaborate, Babish himself seems to be the type to be the first person to tell you that he's just a goof who got lucky with a concept. He has no formal training and is mostly doing something he enjoys and is lucky enough to have made a life and get to meet a bunch of really good chefs through it.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 19, 2021