Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

USA gives late roman economy vibes, but comparisons are cliche and not 1:1
i am spartacus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I mean once people realize they are basically slaves to debt we could have some servile wars.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The US won't collapse, it will slowly fade in power and influence like the British Empire did.

uh, the british empire totally collapsed. this was the empire in 1940:

then some stuff happened

all this happened within the lifetime of my grandmother. if this is whats going to happen to america we are in for a hell of a show!

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

then some stuff happened

all this happened within the lifetime of my grandmother. if this is whats going to happen to america we are in for a hell of a show!

sorry, i was thinking of collapse like, total breakdown of social order, collapse of government, etc.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Freedom for Saipan now!!!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Rutibex posted:

then some stuff happened

got some bad news for you about the british empire and where it stands in the world today in relation to exploitation

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

got some bad news for you about the british empire and where it stands in the world today in relation to exploitation

the IMF isnt the british empire its totally different. for example it has a different name

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Sometimes you get pregnant thinking you want to do it or can do it, and then when it happens you realize, "Holy gently caress this is actually goddamn miserable!" And so you have a routine medical procedure to fix the problem.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Rutibex posted:

the IMF isnt the british empire its totally different. for example it has a different name

Sure but it's foolish to think Britain, France, and other old empires don't exert colonial influence. Here's a recent article I read about France and it's use of currency to bind Africa:
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2021/03/africa-colonies-france-cfa-franc-currency

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah the French empire in Africa never ended lol, guess who supplied arms and money for the Rwanda genocide

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Sure but it's foolish to think Britain, France, and other old empires don't exert colonial influence. Here's a recent article I read about France and it's use of currency to bind Africa:
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2021/03/africa-colonies-france-cfa-franc-currency

you can also read kwame nkrumah if you want hundreds of pages of how companies are all related to each other, like some kind of biblical family tree

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

im on the net me boys posted:

hey don’t know if you know this but birth control isn’t always easy to get, especially if you’re poor! like it’s not as simple as going to the health department for some birth control pills! for example, where I used to live in Arkansas, your best bet for getting birth control if you were uninsured would be Planned Parenthood and there’s a grand total of two in the state. that’s assuming you can make it there and get an appointment. and you may think “well if you’re poor just get on Medicaid so you can go to the doctor” but if you’re an adult in Arkansas they make it functionally impossible to do so.
this isn’t even accounting for the cost of birth control, being able to get to the pharmacy to get it, or the fact that Plan B is also really expensive and abortions are almost impossible to get in some parts of this country.
maybe before you judge a poor person for having a lot of children, think about the material conditions that might lead to that happening

look i get all of this and agree it's hosed up how hard it is to get birth control in some areas of the country, but i am absolutely certain that a lack of access to birth control is not the reason my cousin has 6 kids now. we're in washington state and i'm guessing he has health insurance from his job for his family.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Plenty of non-poor people get abortions. It's a totally normal procedure that gets entirely too much attention because of church ladies and other massive dipshits with dumb books for idiots.

"Oh, you broke your leg playing hockey? And you weren't wearing properly sharpened skates??? Well, I think you'll understand why I can't treat you!" - a very smart doctor

edit: Anyone should be able to get an abortion, in a timely manner, covered completely by health insurance private or public, and they should not be impeded for any reason.

Grand Theft Autobot has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Jul 19, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr. Lobe posted:

Why did they do this

straights are dumb

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

"Oh, you broke your leg playing hockey? And you weren't wearing properly sharpened skates??? Well, I think you'll understand why I can't treat you!" - a very smart doctor

that’s funny that you used that analogy. an ex of mine was a hockey player. she once went to the dentist to get a tooth injury looked at, and the dentist threw her out of his office when she said she wasn’t wearing a mouth guard at the time

then again, ADAB

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
yeah dentists are just assholes

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
dentists are assholes that do a quarter of med school then go to be dentist so they can rake in the $$$$$$€€€€€€€

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I see youre an expert at reading facial expressions.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

antinatalists are antinumber and have no home in these hallowed halls

but short term it's better that people don't have kids so they have more money for buying plastics

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
today is looking like another blessed day for number, much like every day for number does what number wills

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rutibex posted:

then some stuff happened

Look up the Commonwealth and prepare to be shocked at how many of those nominally independent countries answer to the crown in one way or another. The Queen fired Australia's PM in 1975 and she could have the same done to Canada tomorrow.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Relevant Tangent posted:

Look up the Commonwealth and prepare to be shocked at how many of those nominally independent countries answer to the crown in one way or another. The Queen fired Australia's PM in 1975 and she could have the same done to Canada tomorrow.

I don't know how Australia works, but for it to happen in Canada, Canada would have to ask the Suzerain to do it, which the Suzerain would then be obliged to do. They're a rubber stamp that does what they're told.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Queen's representative has to agree to confirm Canada's PM, there's no method to force them to, and they can wake up and decide Canada's PM shouldn't be and there's no appeal. Power that isn't used is power still. Rubber stamps aren't real. We're allegedly leftists, being aware of how power works is important.

Relevant Tangent has issued a correction as of 12:35 on Jul 19, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

SKULL.GIF posted:

Guys don't worry the USD is a sane, stable currency that didn't see a recent influx of trillions upon trillions printed out of nowhere.

You can trade in USD without any fear that your money will suddenly inflate into worthlessness!

This is actually why people actually have confidence in USD and the US Market, they know the government won't let it fail.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Queen's representative has to agree to confirm Canada's PM, there's no method to force them to, and they can wake up and decide Canada's PM shouldn't be and there's no appeal. Power that isn't used is power still. Rubber stamps aren't real. We're allegedly leftists, being aware of how power works is important.

if canada just put the PM in anyway how would britain enforce that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Well this is interesting
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1417083958311804929?s=19
I wonder what caused it.

And there it is. I loving knew it. Lmao
~WaGeS aRe GrOwInG~ get the gently caress out of here
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1417082975771144195?s=19

It arises to plague us once more! It is the DEBT CEILING
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1417082820338626562?s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 13:10 on Jul 19, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

An 8' 2x4 has become my yardstick (gently caress puns) for how hosed America's economy is.

$6.89

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Gorson posted:

An 8' 2x4 has become my yardstick (gently caress puns) for how hosed America's economy is.

$6.89

News was that lumber had PLUMETED in price. Reality is it's 3 times what it was beginning of 2020

Food in general is up. Even in my area with accessible meats it's becoming rare they're on sale.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Edit; fucj!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

is pepsi ok posted:

If we actually do reach a point where USD hegemony is threatened we will shift from soft power to hard power. The US will essentially pull the pin from a grenade and tell the rest of the world that we do things our way or no way at all, and everyone will know we are crazy enough to do it.

And it'll turn out the grenade is a dud and the US is bluffing like a motherfucker. If and when the rest of the world decides that USD hegemony is finished, it would have likely found ways to blunt any hard power retribution the US could come up with short of nukes. And no, we aren't gonna lob our nukes just to hold everyone hostage to our desiccated currency.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Index futures shows the Dow is down more than 500 points.

Not bad, not great. I was wondering if maybe there was a change of 4 digit red numbers but I'll never get that lucky again

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

What hard power? I'm trying to think of a military conflict that the US won in the past 40 years and I can't come up with one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

What hard power? I'm trying to think of a military conflict that the US won in the past 40 years and I can't come up with one.

We beat the poo poo out of the Somali """pirates""".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Monday_(1987)

The Dow dropped -508 points that day.

We are currently at -519 points.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The 50s and 200s are looking terrible across the board.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Blood?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

NeonPunk posted:

does Grenada and Panama count?

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Number spent all weekend drinking and is waking up with a nasty hangover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Queen does that and she gets removed as head of state.