Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, Majors has mad Star Trek guest star villain energy and I'm there for it, so I was into it. It was kind of a bummer though. Loki is a lot less messy than Wandavision and doesn't have F/WS's "Black Lives Matter for some, small thin blue line flags for others" politics. Was hoping for a more definitive finale for this.

But at least I can keep saying Silvie is trans.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

feedmyleg posted:

It was 5 minutes of content stretched out over 46 minutes. The biggest flaw of that show is the long boring over-explained tedious conversations that could have been 1 or 2 lines of dialogue. Or not happened at all, if they had a modicum of trust in the audience's ability to follow along and not need every last detail explained. The last episode was particularly ridiculous about it.

Good show overall, but I've never wanted to hit fast-forward more watching any other show.

I like watching Majors monologue. Sure as hell more entertaining than the lame fight choreography that's shoehorned into every episode. It's been 10+ years Disney, I think you can skip a fistfight once in a while and still keep your audience.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crackbone posted:

I like watching Majors monologue. Sure as hell more entertaining than the lame fight choreography that's shoehorned into every episode. It's been 10+ years Disney, I think you can skip a fistfight once in a while and still keep your audience.

At least like get Scott Adkins or someone on retainer to choreograph everything. They completely wasted his talents in Dr. Strange. Like if they want to have a Marvel House Style sure gently caress yeah just like, get someone in there to actually make the fights cool.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The fight choreography being bad has nothing to do with it—most MCU action scenes are simply extraneous. They're not integrated into the storytelling in any significant capacity, they just exist to hit pause on the movie for a few minutes so they can inject it with some adrenaline then hit play again. Having amazing fight choreography won't make them be less of a waste of time, they'll just be a prettier waste of time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The fight choreography being bad has nothing to do with it—most MCU action scenes are simply extraneous. They're not integrated into the storytelling in any significant capacity, they just exist to hit pause on the movie for a few minutes so they can inject it with some adrenaline then hit play again. Having amazing fight choreography won't make them be less of a waste of time, they'll just be a prettier waste of time.

Speaking of that I think Dr. Strange was the biggest offender of this when the Midtown fight happens.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

It didn’t take very long at all for studio execs to strip out the hard part of the formula - “something important should happen every ten minutes, either pushing the protagonist closer or farther away from the goal, until either the goal changes or the goal is achieved” and turn it into “uh, just lay in an action scene every ten minutes”.

But it makes it very cool when someone actually remembers to put in that little bit of the formula and you get a John Wick or Into The Spider-Verse or Fury Road.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Marvel’s action scenes are good because you can go to the toilet when they start and not miss out on anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

With Disney + you can watch them on the toilet

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

With Disney + you can watch them on the toilet

Post-COVID that's my work zoom meeting time now though.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Chairman Capone posted:

I have to give Marvel credit, I think they know better. If something isn't explicitly spelled out by a character monologue in a comic book movie, then it's a plot hole.

This is why I sometimes get frustrated talking Marvel on Reddit. If the films or shows are heavily implying something, it isn't good enough because a character didn't have a long monologue towards the audience. I kid you not, someone there wasn't convinced it was Kang because he never called himself "Kang" even though the actor is cast as him in Ant-Man 3. It's why I'm back posting here, to be honest.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Justin Godscock posted:

This is why I sometimes get frustrated talking Marvel on Reddit. If the films or shows are heavily implying something, it isn't good enough because a character didn't have a long monologue towards the audience. I kid you not, someone there wasn't convinced it was Kang because he never called himself "Kang" even though the actor is cast as him in Ant-Man 3. It's why I'm back posting here, to be honest.

I posted some on Reddit. Then I missed like a month's payment so they deleted my account along with all the silver/gold stuff I'd accumulated over better than a year paying there. Then the random free account they gave has a username like Dickface 13 or something. gently caress Reddit with a rusty chainsaw.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wait, you have to pay for a Reddit account?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Everyone posted:

I posted some on Reddit. Then I missed like a month's payment so they deleted my account along with all the silver/gold stuff I'd accumulated over better than a year paying there. Then the random free account they gave has a username like Dickface 13 or something. gently caress Reddit with a rusty chainsaw.

my friend, I believe you have been scammed

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Wait, you have to pay for a Reddit account?

I don't even look at Reddit for free so this is genuinely stunning to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

Hang on, what?

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
None of that reddit poo poo made any sense. You don't need to pay for reddit. You only pay for extra features and no adds but they don't delete your account and give you a new random account.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Can’t believe that dumbass paid money to post on the internet

Wait, poo poo

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm going to suspect that after watching Loki that while Kang is going to feature as a villain and even have his variants die in various Marvel Movies, that they're leading up to a semblance of Hickman's "Everything Dies" into Secret Wars storyline for a climax. If the FF also introduce Franklin Richards and Doctor Doom, then it's a lock.

I would love that. It's the best grand storyline I've read in Marvel.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gatts posted:

I would love that. It's the best grand storyline I've read in Marvel.
Looking at how they've adapted stuff like Civil War and Demon in the Bottle, i think MCU has a tendency to defang a lot of the stories they have more directly adapted.

Although to be fair, the MCU TV series for all their flaws have felt weirder than what has come before.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think I like the TV shows more than the movies at this point because they are much weirder.
Sure Cap/Winter got hampered but some unfortunate rewrites because of COVID but I like the actor that plays Sam more as time goes on and Bucky is a lot of fun.

That being said, Disney has very little interest in using their platform to take a firm stance on anything. You get little nuggets here and there (like the cop scene in Cap/Winter) but hardly anything is cemented and has a material change on the world.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The bad guys are definitely a lot better and get to feel more like characters. Thanos was kind of a cypher of a character until Endgame just revealed that he's ultimately a lovely abusive dad. Winter Soldier for all its lovely politics actually speaks to a lot of people's Black Panther critiques by going, "No, the bad guy was right, they just shouldn't murder people, and someone like her is just going to keep coming if you don't fix the systemic issues she was mad about."

Loki and Wandavision's ultimate big bads are actually pretty understandable in their motivations and get to be scenery chewing real deal supervillains instead of just generic baddies firing off generic energy or whatever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inzombiac posted:

I think I like the TV shows more than the movies at this point because they are much weirder.
Sure Cap/Winter got hampered but some unfortunate rewrites because of COVID but I like the actor that plays Sam more as time goes on and Bucky is a lot of fun.

That being said, Disney has very little interest in using their platform to take a firm stance on anything. You get little nuggets here and there (like the cop scene in Cap/Winter) but hardly anything is cemented and has a material change on the world.

Do you mean the real world or the MCU world? Because like Loki just introduced the next major villain and started the multivers.

I do think we're gonna get some fairly weird movies soon with Raimi's Strange, Spidey 3, and Thor 4.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

This is where I am. MCU moviewise, July 9, I broke a 2 year, 1 week new MCU movie fast with Black Widow (the last new MCU movie I'd seen was Far from Home which hit theaters July 2, 2019). It was okay. I had fun watching it (some fun, anyway. The 48 minute "intermission" caused when a storm knocked out power to the the theater kind of sucked).

Given that the original plot was apparently going to have the Flag-smashers unleashing a virus to re-kill half the planet to bring back the good old Thanos days, I'd say that the Cap/Winter rewrites were pretty loving fortunate. I thought the F-smashers were more interesting as well intentioned kids growing more violent as they suffered losses.

I'm feeling much more anticipation for the start of What If? and Hawkeye than I am for Shang-Chi. I'll watch Shang-chi and probably enjoy it but I don't hunger for it the way I do the TV/streaming stuff now.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I would have liked the Flag Smashers a lot more if they had used their name from the comics: Underground Liberated Totally Integrated Mobile Army To Unite Mankind, or U.L.T.I.M.A.T.U.M.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Do you mean the real world or the MCU world? Because like Loki just introduced the next major villain and started the multivers.

I do think we're gonna get some fairly weird movies soon with Raimi's Strange, Spidey 3, and Thor 4.

It rules that we're twenty something movies deep and there are still people sure that the different, interesting marvel movies are just about to happen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

STAC Goat posted:

I would dearly love this but ultimately it's Disney. My money is on superficially weird, if that.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I would dearly love this but ultimately it's Disney. My money is on superficially weird, if that.

Disney once had a shingle that distributed weird-rear end and sometimes good and interesting pictures; but they killed it. Oh, Hollywood Pictures, distributor of such films like Arachnophobia, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Super Mario Bros, In The Army Now, Quiz Show, Crimson Tide, The Rock, Nixon, Celtic Pride, Jack, GI Jane, Simon Birch, Mystery Alaska, and The Sixth Sense.

Dead and buried in 2007 because as it turns out Bob Iger has far less of an artist’s soul than Michael Eisner, of all loving people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally watched Venom this evening, checked out from the library. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, it was surprisingly fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

STAC Goat posted:

I don't have a solid thought on the subject, to be honest.
MCU just feels very sanitized to me and that there are no meaningful actions and consequences that carry between films. Aside from the tentpole stuff like The Snap, nothing seems to change in a big way.

Civil War could have really fractured things but it just made Cap and Tony mad at eachother until it was time to fight a big bad. They didn't have a meaningful reconciliation, right?

I'm not an expert on these movies but they lack impact and are devoid of any sexuality.

That being said, I still watch them all because not everything needs to be dense and meaningful. They just spend so much money and time on the things, I expect more.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

They didn't have a meaningful reconciliation, right?

They didn't even have a meaningful split, so no.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

STAC Goat posted:

Oh great, a plethora of worlds that aren't significantly changed by the existence of free energy, gods, aliens and benevolent billionaires.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Oh cool, maybe one of those universes could be interesting, for a change. Maybe they can even have one that isn't a recruitment ad for the military!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

The hero/villain will be introduced at the beginning, they will fight once, the hero will learn/quest for xyz lesson/item, then be set back in a rematch fight, before item/lesson pays off, and defeats the villain in the last 20 minutes of the film.

There will be references to upcoming films, if not entire characters from them, sprinkled in for cross promotion. The tone will range from "x-men written by someone who just watched Office Space" to "x-men written by someone who watched the west wing" depending on which character is on the poster.

Raimi / Waititi are good, interesting directors but I doubt they're going to break format.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

The hero/villain will be introduced at the beginning, they will fight once, the hero will learn/quest for xyz lesson/item, then be set back in a rematch fight, before item/lesson pays off, and defeats the villain in the last 20 minutes of the film.

There will be references to upcoming films, if not entire characters from them, sprinkled in for cross promotion. The tone will range from "x-men written by someone who just watched Office Space" to "x-men written by someone who watched the west wing" depending on which character is on the poster.

Raimi / Waititi are good, interesting directors but I doubt they're going to break format.

Don't forget that the last twenty minutes will drag a bit as the secondary heroes pair off with secondary villains or keep the mooks out of the fight or just rescue civilians to remind us how much they care.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna love dr strange 2 the moment the camera snap zooms into benny’s face. gently caress yeah.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

McCloud posted:

Oh cool, maybe one of those universes could be interesting, for a change.

No doubt. Spider-Man will wear a hat in one of them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/teddyxangel/status/1417050525997043717?s=20

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna love dr strange 2 the moment the camera snap zooms into benny’s face. gently caress yeah.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

well why not posted:

I like Raimi but he hasn't done anything good in over a decade. And actually the only thing he's done within the last decade was another Disney franchise movie that was completely forgettable.