Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's like 7 people I met with 800+ wins o floor 9, I think pc is hosed for mmr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm hardly an expert since I'm in the floor 7-9 range, but I can at least look for mistakes I'd make. A few things that stand out are that you're giving up way too much by repeatedly backdashing multiple times at round start. Getting some distance to watch them is fine, but you shouldn't corner yourself. You also need to confirm hits into something, ideally that gives knockdown. It doesn't need to be 50% health off a single hit, but you should at least be getting more than that hit. I don't know Gio very well, but I do know that after wolf kick you're safe but minus, and that seems to be where a lot of your getting hit comes from, trying to throw out a button after that. You also just throw out buttons sometimes in the hope people will walk into them, which I do too. It's a bad habit to try to break from.

Also try just using RCs more even if it doesn't get you anything, just to get yourself used to thinking about them to either continue a combo or make a blocked move safe/lead into a mixup. Gio may want to use meter less because of her buff when it's full, but you'll never get used to having the option if you don't force yourself to try it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 20, 2021

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Tae posted:

There's like 7 people I met with 800+ wins o floor 9, I think pc is hosed for mmr.

Things are weird and the levels of skill are all over the place. On floors 8 and 9 there will be some people that blow me away 3-0, some people I have real back and forths with, and some people I literally just spam 3K (or 2D) > 5[D] at for 6 matches straight without them ever figuring out what to do about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The gio trick that fucks up bad sol players is the flurry kick followed by the spiral arrow thing.
Flurry kick pushes you out of range of 5k unless its like perfectly delayed and the spiral arrow catches far slash and other buttons.

I think crouch slash might beat the spiral arrow because it doesnt put the hurt box as far forward as far slash but idk.

Very easy to just frame trap a few times until they get mad and then you can grab them trying to dp or whatever

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

chumbler posted:

I'm hardly an expert since I'm in the floor 7-9 range, but I can at least look for mistakes I'd make.

A few things that stand out are that you're giving up way too much by repeatedly backdashing multiple times at round start. Getting some distance to watch them is fine, but you shouldn't corner yourself.

I mean, I need to avoid their attacks. Sitting and blocking gets me punished, attacking gets me punished, so...

quote:

You also need to confirm hits into something, ideally that gives knockdown. It doesn't need to be 50% health off a single hit, but you should at least be getting more than that hit.

I am confirming them, or at least trying to. I do cS, 2H, 214k, microwalk, 5K, 6HHH for my combo. It doesn't always land, but I try to get it out.

My usual approach is to do that combo, mixing in some 2Ks and 2Ds where possible, and then they get into the corner, do Gio's corner BnB. It's not my fault that they get blocked or I get interrupted!

quote:

I don't know Gio very well, but I do know that after wolf kick you're safe but minus, and that seems to be where a lot of your getting hit comes from, trying to throw out a button after that.

How else am I supposed to press my attacks? If Gio's gatling is usually something -> 214K, then keeping pressure up means I have to throw out something after 214K. I can't something -> 214K then run away, that gets me punished.

quote:

You also just throw out buttons sometimes in the hope people will walk into them, which I do too. It's a bad habit to try to break from.

Yeah, I know. I tend to panic and honestly, I have no idea what's going on. If I knew every character's moveset front to back, I might be less freaked out, but literally anything could happen, so who knows what I need to do at any point in time? Best option I have is to take advantage of spots to do cS -> 2H -> 214k -> etc.

quote:

Also try just using RCs more even if it doesn't get you anything, just to get yourself used to thinking about them to either continue a combo or make a blocked move safe/lead into a mixup.

They're kind of an advanced concept, and I haven't really learned many combos with them. I keep meaning to practice more combos in training mode, but I wanna play matches instead :v:

quote:

Gio may want to use meter less because of her buff when it's full, but you'll never get used to having the option if you don't force yourself to try it.

Her buff is pretty minimal, honestly, so I don't really have any compunctions about spending it.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, check these out:

Vs. Gio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGOHlwOF0I
Vs. Sol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mLWn4Bl77A
Vs. Chipp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JZ7txkyrHc

That Gio one is especially embarrassing.

It's mostly about getting punished all the time.

Yeah, fair. Might be time for the park.

In that first match against the other Gio I noticed you going for the big wolf kick after your opponent was already blocking your initial hit and getting punished by a follow up for it multiple times. Like chumbler I'm not too familiar with Gio but that definitely let the other Gio get in a hit more than a couple of times, it looks like you might be mashing in order to try and continue pressure when you should immediately start blocking instead. In those situations I try to make most of my decisions less on reaction and more in that little time stop window that happens whenever a hit lands. So that's just going to be something to keep in mind when playing Gio, if your opponent has blocked the beginning of that string then following up with the big sweeping dog kick is going to get you punished. Her overheard spread kick is fairly quick and got you a couple of times but you can react early and 6P her out of it or, if you don't feel confident about that, you simply have to block high as soon as you see her jump towards you and then all you have to worry about is her crossing you up if she does it really close. It also looks like you might have been mashing S when she activated her super, that's another time to focus on blocking and following up with a punish rather than knocking her out of her air super with a normal. You probably can react to it with something other than a block but I wouldn't know what to tell you there, maybe 6P would've worked but she was right on your head. You can start blocking high when she activates it and even at that distance I'd bet you'd block instead of eat an overhead super. Her 2D always wrecks me because I underestimate how quick it is and how much reach it has, but that's just general vs Gio advice.

It kind of looks like the only thing that lost you that Sol match was Sol's really fast normals, he got a counter or two and was able to hit you when you dashed into him twice after his super. Had you only dashed once and thrown out a quick P or K I bet you would've prevented him from taking his turn back right after you blocked his super. As for his fast S attacks, you've just gotta be defensive against Sol's because they're going to exploit that S punch's fast start up as much as possible. You made pretty good use of Gio's 236K most of the time but also tried to toss it out a couple of times when he was already blocking and got countered for it by his 6P, his 5S and 5K would've had the same result. So again if your defense was just barely better you would've been able to deny your opponent a ton more and this makes Sols sad. In a similar situation to the Gio's super from a previous match it looks like you were mashing S while blocking right as Sol started up a Gun Flame, going for a 2K or 2P might have won you the exchange and got you the result you were going for. I'm not certain about that but it looked like you had the right idea but where hitting the wrong button. You tried to do the same shortly afterward but were a little bit later and it didn't work at all and then you were blocking low before and after he jumped at you, that is a reaction thing but in general you want to be blocking high if your opponent is in the air at all. In general.

And then Chipp, well, Chipp is just really quick. I find it best to try and get in his face but focus on defense and then react to anything unsafe he does. You started off the match really well and then he won when you both were crouching and hit a button at the same time, he also seemed to know a few combos and how to use some basic RC stuff to continue his combos. You did much better in the second match by simply blocking his pressure most of the time and punishing blocked specials. The only things I'd really note here is that a ton of characters, especially at lower floors, love to follow up 2k with 2D so if you block the first expect to block the second otherwise they're usually going to knock you down. But you're usually fairly safe to counter if you block that 2D.

Pollyanna posted:

It's not my fault that they get blocked or I get interrupted!

I can't something -> 214K then run away, that gets me punished.

If you're going for a third+ attack after they've blocked the first couple it kind of is. Certainly not always but this takes knowing what is safe on block and what isn't. Tossing out that 214K when they're already blocking is punishable, Dustloop lists it as have 20f recover and being -4 on block. That's not super dangerous but a lot of P moves, and Sol's 5S are going to beat it. Similarly 236K only has 15f recover and is +2 on block but that isn't a huge window to throw out much after it and if everything before it has been blocked then you can get 6P'd out of it.

Again, just the slightest amount of focusing a little more on defense and I think you'd be doing pretty good.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 21, 2021

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Pollyanna posted:

I am confirming them, or at least trying to. I do cS, 2H, 214k, microwalk, 5K, 6HHH for my combo. It doesn't always land, but I try to get it out.

This is something you can do as like, a reward from for a punish combo, but tbh this is not something you're going to be realistically doing most of the time. Gio is generally staggering/confirming with c.S on opponents who are knocked down, and its pretty hard to confirm the popup of c.S into the 2H launch, becuase you have to cancel it fairly early on! Imo you should focus more on doing slow cancels of c.S to 2S to 5H, to see if the opponent is getting antsy and tries to mash out of your buttons. If they get hit, cancel 5H into 214K, and if they block, cancel 5H into 236K.

As for combos you want to generally hit, think situations where you can tag an opponent in the first place, rather than thinking about a big combo you NEED to land. Dash in f.S is a very useful tool to approach with, and since it's 3 hits, you can confirm into 5H 214K on hit. You really, really don't need to make it more difficult for yourself in neutral right now, you just need to learn the space where gio can control with her buttons. c.S is a great tool to use when you have control, but it's not something to think about most of the time until you have someone knocked down.

e: lol you can probably ignore more of the second half of this, i didn't see your gameplay video, you have a decent idea of some things to look out for. You really should just consider learning how to use stagger pressure, and avoiding ways to overcommit.

Also, this might sound silly, but if someone is in your face too much, don't be afraid to mash 5P every now and again (but not on your own wakeup). Sometimes you need a fast tool to keep people honest, and gio has one of the fastest jabs in the game.

Hace fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 21, 2021

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, check these out:

Vs. Gio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGOHlwOF0I
Vs. Sol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mLWn4Bl77A
Vs. Chipp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JZ7txkyrHc

That Gio one is especially embarrassing.

It's mostly about getting punished all the time.

vs. Gio

1. Be careful with backdashing - there's only 5f of invincibility on a backdash in this game. It's ok to backdash at round start, but if you backdash while they haven't committed they can easily get in and bop you. I think it's better to do it on reaction to try to get a move to whiff.
2. Keep in mind Gio's 6p is a great anti-air (this works for most of the cast) - she can't get hit from the waist up during 6p. Throw out some 6p if they dash in like that, Gio is actually really good at punishing people who jump in.
3. Sepultura is minus on block but it's relatively safe if you space it. If you get too close with sepultura and they block it, you should block, but you can usually follow up with 5k/5p
4. f.s (the triple kick) shouldn't be used in neutral - if you whiff that move, you're totally hosed. suggest only using it as a gatling from c.s

vs. Sol

1. Ventania is a reversal super - e.g. you can use it on wakeup and to try to catch people trying to meaty you (it has invincible startup). Don't use it in neutral.
2. Feet on the ground, block low, feet in the air, block high.
3. Sol Nascente can help with the anti air as well.

vs. Chipp

1. Don't use ventania in neutral.
2. Feet on the ground, block low, feet in the air, block high.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

FunkyFjord posted:

So that's just going to be something to keep in mind when playing Gio, if your opponent has blocked the beginning of that string then following up with the big sweeping dog kick is going to get you punished.
that kick is -4, not really punishable unless you started it point blank and it got instant blocked. it's perfectly fine to end pressure with it just be aware that it's no longer "your turn."

not sure if her air super is an overhead, but either way yeah it comes down fast and will definitely beat anything you press after the freeze (except your ground super i guess). and it's + on block. so block it and don't try to punish it or you'll get counter hit lol.

Pollyanna posted:

How else am I supposed to press my attacks? If Gio's gatling is usually something -> 214K, then keeping pressure up means I have to throw out something after 214K. I can't something -> 214K then run away, that gets me punished.

there's this whole concept of "turns" i mentioned above. basically when you're doing a block string it's your turn. if you end the blockstring with something minus then it becomes your opponent's turn. you can try to "steal your turn" at this point by throwing out a fast button hoping that they're going to use a much slower one (very risky) or use an invincible move like your super to beat whatever they press (also risky). doing either of these things is generally not advised without a hard read on yo,ur opponent.

now it's the opponent's turn which means you have to respond to their pressure by blocking or avoiding a throw or whatever. block or tech or backdash or jump or burst or whatever. do the one that works and doesn't get hit. :D

as Hace mentions you can cancel your block string into 214S or 236K instead. this leaves you advantaged so it's still your turn! however, both of these options can be interrupted if the opponent is looking for them so you can't be predictable with it. therein lies the game

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, I need to avoid their attacks. Sitting and blocking gets me punished, attacking gets me punished, so...

What's your plan for avoiding damage that isn't blocking?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Sometimes it's pretty peaceful just to block and chill in the corner.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
A friend of mine talked me into trying Potemkin.
Instant win streak and floor 9.

Welp I'm bad with characters who can move freely??

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

They're kind of an advanced concept, and I haven't really learned many combos with them. I keep meaning to practice more combos in training mode, but I wanna play matches instead :v:

You don't have to RC for combos or anything complex like that to make them super useful, just using them to get out of bad situations will probably help you wonders. In two of your replays, you went for super with 100% meter and whiffed it, and just let them punish you. Once you know your super wasn't hitting, you could've RC'd to not only be safe, but to keep applying pressure while they're slowed down. Another use can be--if you have 50 meter and just want them to stop pressuring you--just hitting RC while you're blocking to perform a Yellow RC, which will stun them and let you start pressuring back.

Good use of dashing 5K though. That's easily one of her best ways to poke and stay safe. I also liked your use of 2D during that Sol match sometimes. It really is one of Gio's best buttons if you use it at long range like at the 0:35 mark of your video.

That Gio match wasn't too embarrassing or anything. She rolls people in general if her gameplan goes off, and it looked like you're not super used to the mirror. Funnily enough, when you space it out, your own 2D is great in this MU's neutral game. Gio is best at grounded movement, so that stops her from step-dashing everywhere, and once she takes to the skies to try to get in, you have 6P and DP, the latter of which gives you great reward on counter hit.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 21, 2021

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Yeah RCs are amazingly useful in a variety of situations. If I have a Leo or Gio rushing in at me, I often BRC to give myself the time to counter. Or I airdash into a drift BRC to screw up my opponent's timing on an anti-air, etc.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 21, 2021

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
DLC character reveal is live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7-F66xiRhM

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

FUUUCK YESSSSSSS

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

:hellyeah: he might replace Nago as my alt when I feel like not playing May for a while.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GOLDLEWIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude looks sick....and that chugging riff for his music is just ::perfect::

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ITS NOT A BIG DEAL

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
is he a chunky set up boy?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

TGLT posted:

He has a I-No like fireball, it seems.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Against the Sol I noticed you were walking backwards a lot. You don't want to give up that screen space if you can, Gio is very effective up close and personal.

I think you just need to work on spacing and stagger pressure. There's some times you connect with stray hits in neutral and then don't continue with a good blockstring. If you're getting punished for trying to continue pressure with spiral arrow or hop kick I would wager at your rank that's because your opponent is mashing buttons rather than actually reacting to the startup. This means that if you just slightly delay your blockstring you'll get counterhits all day. You can kind of see this in the Sol replay, at 1:18 he's just mashing 6P instead of waiting for your kick and at 0:43 he's mashing HS and S while blocking.

Yes, Sol can always DP through stagger pressure and that's always a risk but it's just something you have to read on your opponent's risk/reward mindset.

As a general idea of my mindset when I'm fighting Gio:

Situation: we're at slightly longer than mid screen and I don't want to throw any normals because I want to see if she's going to approach on the ground or in the air.

She dashes up and catches me with dash+5S, which gives her surprising range with the dash momentum so I suddenly find myself blocking. She gatlings into 5HS, and at this point I'm thinking to myself: "Is she going to try to continue pressure with drill kick or hop kick or is she going to stagger pressure me with wolf kick?" I guess she's going for continued pressure and I start mashing 6P as the 5HS animation ends. Turns out, I guessed wrong and she's just staggering into wolf kick and I eat a full combo.

Later, she does the same 5S, into 5HS and I think to myself: "Okay, she does stagger pressure. I'm just going to sit and block and react to the drill/hop kick if they come out and if I block the wolf kick she's minus so I can just continue neutral from there." At which point she just dashes up and throws me even though 5HS is -5 and I could have pressed a button.

At each point here there is an option I could have picked that would have beat Gio, but she read me better and got her hit in. Knowing what the "default" reaction your opponent takes to each situation is a very good way to capitalize on their inherent weaknesses and get your game started.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

TGLT posted:

He's the secretary of absolute defense.

Also he is buddies with the alien.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/N2IwZmU.mp4

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

His eyepatch covers an orbital bombardment targeting laser. He hits people with a coffin that's a ghost trap and converts into a minigun. The coffin hits guard crush. He wears chaps and has horseshoes attached to the backs of his gloves.

I have no idea what this man is but he is definitely a Guilty Gear character!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeTYR57hB44
upload is up

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Glad to see he's bringing Gatling combos back with him.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
no burg bag no buy

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Veev posted:

He's the secretary of absolute defense.

Also he is buddies with the alien.

UMA. He doesn't believe in aliens.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I will play him

stratego
May 6, 2007

This confirms the data mine, correct?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

stratego posted:

This confirms the data mine, correct?

Sort of, but everyone has been calling Goldlewis a playable character since we first saw him in the story mode trailer.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Yithian posted:

His eyepatch covers an orbital bombardment targeting laser. He hits people with a coffin that's a ghost trap and converts into a minigun. The coffin hits guard crush. He wears chaps and has horseshoes attached to the backs of his gloves.

I have no idea what this man is but he is definitely a Guilty Gear character!

That's America you're looking at, son.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

HMS Beagle posted:

Sort of, but everyone has been calling Goldlewis a playable character since we first saw him in the story mode trailer.

yeah. i don't doubt the data mine but this doesn't really prove it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the datamine kinda works out because it overlaps with characters that are clearly fully modeled in story mode at a level of quality rivaling the rest of the characters, so jack-o, asuka, happy chaos, and goldlewis are probably in since it would just make sense from a workflow perspective

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I was told Giovanna has an interaction with Jam in the files too but it's not like I went and checked.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope they add Pikachu

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I'm ready

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jam is the only one that makes no sense to me to come first season cause shes like 6th and tenth most popular character in us/japan but i guess people are probably locked in for the dlc already and top 5 loved characters will headline season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pollyanna posted:

In fighting games "hit confirm" means a specific thing, and it's different from just doing a combo.
A "hit confirm" is a specific sequence of moves that works as both a combo starter and a safe block string, and is long enough for you to visually confirm whether it hit or got blocked so you know how to follow up (ether by continuing into unsafe combo buttons if it hit or by doing something safer and more defensive if it was blocked).

I don't know which of Giovanna's moves are best for this so you'll have to research it yourself. But once you find some good hitconfirm combos, you can go into training mode and set the dummy to random block to practice them out (maybe set it to jab or DP after blockstun ends too). Do the first 1-3 hits and then either continue the combo or block depending on whether the dummy got hit or blocked. You can and should figure out hit confirms off of several of your favorite buttons to push in neutral.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 21, 2021