Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Run #2: Black/Mystic/Monk/Freelancer

Fun fact, I completely ran out of hi potions and elixirs on Omega and finished the game without going back to restock.

Toxxes:

Arrrthritis posted:

:toxx:
For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).
Toxx cap: $100

Two fallen comrades, Tycoon's royals just can't catch a break.

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402391976125796354

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

tbh I probably could have gotten away with selling everything except Masamune.

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

Edit: $23.20/100 claimed, amount is quadrupled to $0.40 per Lenna until cap is hit

And finally, the poisoned Lennas. Not a complete list, but I failed to get death shots for a bunch of stuff. Also I swear those two almost completely faded enemies are adamantoise and titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

It's :toxx: time, but I'm going to do something different this year. Everyone loves quadzerks, but how about quad geomancers or quad red mages? I'll throw in $10 per regular job that someone does a quad run of, and $20 for Freelancer/Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Cannoneer. Some of those runs will be pretty miserable, but it's for a good cause, and let's face it: thread regulars have done worse.

e: No balance patches or randomizers, please. The point of this is to have the vanilla experience.

Quad samurai wasn't too bad; most bosses went down to a barrage of loose change, including NED.
If you're a crazy person like me, you can grind out !Iainuki on World 1 without gaining XP. The northwest ocean has 2x Corbett as a rare encounter, which gives 3 ABP, 0 XP, and 2000 gil. At level 9, you do 2850 damage with !Zenigane, just enough to one-shot them, and it costs you 900 gil to do so, so it ends up being cash positive. Just be sure you want to get 600+ ABP 3 points at a time before you do so.
Hardest boss was probably W2 Exdeath, you don't really have any tricks to deal with his offense, and you're relying on katana crits/dancing dagger sword dances to do good damage, so it can be a slog if you get unlucky like I did and get a combined 3 sword dances/crits during the entire battle. Doing it at level 18 probably didn't help, either.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

Ok I'll do it

:toxx: $0.20 for every combined party level under 100 when killing NED, so if your party levels are 25/25/25/24 I'll donate $0.20. If your levels are 1/1/1/1 I'll donate $19.20

In addition, for Omega and Shinryu kills I'll donate an extra $0.10 per level under 100 for each fight.

I'll set a $200 limit just in case y'all go wild on me

There's still $164 available here!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > FFV Four Job Fiesta 2021 - 600+ ABP 3 points at a time

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Update on my Berserker Berserker Ninja Black Mage run:

Galick posted:

You could be done in 2-4 hours or it could be up to 8-10 more. Depends on your optionals!

Definitely closer to 10 for me probably. I decided to just go to the final boss and 'see if I could do it' and lol no.

Mega64 posted:

Once you get access to the legendary weapons Rune Axe is a must, after that is any two of the Magus Rod/Sasuke Katan/Assassin Dagger. Magus Rods combines all the rod boosts in one weapon and is thus nice convenience, Sasuke is a Ninja weapon with weapon block like the Main Gauche, and rear end Dagger can inflict instant death. Depends on whether you’re using the Twin Lance/Chicken Knife exploit, care about the rear end Dagger when you have Death Sickles, or don’t mind switching weapons on your Black Mage to boost different -aga spells (which shouldn’t matter anyway, I think the only Void boss with a weakness is Omega, and you’re better off skipping that fight anyway without insanely high levels).

Otherwise, hunt for Mirage Town once you have the ability to travel anywhere in the overworld in W3 and grab four (or three if you’re cheap, you can get a free pair in the final dungeon) Hermes Sandals. They’re expensive but very worth it. Maaaybe grab the Death and Osmose magic there too while you’re there. Get all that, whatever armor is the best, and the Magic Lamp and you’re set.

Thanks SO much for the detailed write up. The hermes sandals have helped a ton. I'm realising there are times when I could swap out the sandals for other things: Maybe 4 fire rings for using black mage to heal? Reflect rings? IDK.

Mega64 posted:

You could pretty much skip the optional content of W3 with that team. You’d miss out on Flare, but you’ll deal more damage with rod-boosted -aga spells anyway. Only reason to do Fork Tower is for the Wonder Rod to Zerk Shinryu, and with two Zerkers playing the rezz game is a bit dicey, though doable.

I guess you may want to go to Great Sea Trench to buy axes or something too, but ehhhh.

Re-reading that after beating fork tower: I didn't know my black mage could equip the wonder rod. Useful! And yeah I decided to grind a bit by doing all of the optional content after getting my poo poo kicked in so I'll see what those axes are, soon enough.

I got to the final area after killing twintania, inside the rift. I only had one death axe and at this point both berserkers have dual wield. I was just getting my poo poo kicked in by King Behemoths, then I realised I didn't have the Magic Lamp either (not sure what I'd need it for but I assume 'certain spells in the last battle', so I decided to just go and do the optional content and also get 3 more death axes (death sickles in my snes version) to help with the king behemoths. it only took about 20 minutes to get back, then I realised after a while that the enemies around crescent with the sickle were gone and only exist in world 1, but Fork Tower has enemy berserkers that can drop it.

I had a hell of a time grinding at fork tower. It was easy but the drop rate of 6.25 seems like it's per fight rather than per enemy berserker in the fight. I finally got 3 more death sickles/axes and then decided to 'just kill the bosses'. Holy poo poo omniscient tore me a new one again and again but I finally got him. I had done my research and saw that the only weapons in the game (I think) that don't do 'physical' damage are the Thor Hammer (lightning) and the Rune Axe (black) so I could use a berserker on that side dual-wielding those weapons. It worked fine in the tower but made him reset the fights, so I was wrong. Then I tried the single mage masher which I never got to work either. Eventually I used the ninja (for items, since throw is also an attack) and black mage (for damage) against him. I think I'm about level 39 for non berserker death-axe grinders and level 42 for the two who were grinding death axes, at this point. I've probably played about 5 or 6 hours since moore forest, too.

I didn't read any kind of 'berseker guide' but I'm realising that maybe I should have. Having more than one death sickle at some point would have been great, but I assumed I could 'get more any time' which was wrong. At least I have 4 now in case it's needed, and I think it is in the last area with king behemoths. Alternatively I suppose I could play that area with my berserkers dead but that also seems to be a way to just have a shorter and more fatal battle with them. I didn't try it but I will if I have to. I did find out about the Gaia Hammer underflow bug so my 'physical' berserker was using that and the death axe. With the bug she hits all enemies for 2500 damage or so. Tell me if that sounds right. (I am on snes)

Next is the sea trench or lstory falls, IDK if I can or should just do the falls first. I might as well grind by doing the optional content, since most of the mob battles are pretty easy for me, but the final area of the last dungeon is tough as all hell. I don't even remember how hard the final boss is and haven't looked him up or anything, I'm sort of playing without a grand strategy but looking at walkthroughs of the area I'm currently in, and save scumming etc. I think I got every single thing from the sealed castle that I can possibly use so no need to ever go back there.

This is a tough experience! I only ever played this game once (normally, got to pirate's graveyard then stopped playing), then once for a fiesta (ninja, dancer, black mage, mystic knight) which I finished and another time for a fiesta that I didn't.

If I ever play this again, and I'm having a tough time so maybe not, I will pick my entire roster and just donate to gilgabot. I sort of feel like doing that now but I've come so far. I feel like I can totally do it, but maybe for a berserker run I am missing <thing I should have ground for in a previous world/area> in a few locations and have given myself a harder time than I should have had, as a result.

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 19, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
quick answers to some of your questions:

-Lamp is for oneshotting part of NED with Odin, because for some strange reason, part of NED is vulnerable to it. Lamp is also for one-shotting the bosses of the Deep Sea Trench (same). You get it by riding your chocobo to the TOP of Istory Falls.
- Generally speaking, you want the sandals on unless you're specifically countering something else (e.g. coral rings for Leviathan or Twintania).
- You don't actually have to fight the big boss of Istory Falls, if that matters to you (and there's not much point in doing it unless you've got summoner/want the bragging rights). That being said, there's not much there that you'll find particularly valuable.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Leraika posted:

quick answers to some of your questions:

-Lamp is for oneshotting part of NED with Odin, because for some strange reason, part of NED is vulnerable to it. Lamp is also for one-shotting the bosses of the Deep Sea Trench (same). You get it by riding your chocobo to the TOP of Istory Falls.
- Generally speaking, you want the sandals on unless you're specifically countering something else (e.g. coral rings for Leviathan or Twintania).
- You don't actually have to fight the big boss of Istory Falls, if that matters to you (and there's not much point in doing it unless you've got summoner/want the bragging rights). That being said, there's not much there that you'll find particularly valuable.

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. I think reflect ring would possibly be good though. And any advice on the Behemoth Kings, apart from 'assassin knife on the ninja and 2x death axe on the berserkers'? They're the entire reason I turned back and decided to do more grinding.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You can just... run away. :v: They're slow as gently caress and only really do things as a reaction to you hitting them.

"you can just run away" is a solution to most annoying randoms, tbh (unless you're doing a dumb toxx, I suppose, but I also imagine most people who opt into that already know what they're doing)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

If you have trouble running quicksaving to reset the step count is an option. However its a much deeper slog than walz basement and its 2 or 3 quicksaves.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. I think reflect ring would possibly be good though. And any advice on the Behemoth Kings, apart from 'assassin knife on the ninja and 2x death axe on the berserkers'? They're the entire reason I turned back and decided to do more grinding.

you have a ninja, just run away using !Smoke

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Friendly reminder that the "drawback" of chicken knife's !flee proc is cool and good, actually.

Red Metal posted:

you have a ninja, just run away using !Smoke

Or just do that

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks! I completely forgot about that command and I've never set it before.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

My first ever FF5 run and Fiesta run, triple crown baby! :toot:

Started another run, Random instead of Normal, and rolled Thiefzerker again :negative:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

nrook posted:

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

First Fiesta run. Thief/Mystic Knight/Hunter so far. I had damage trouble on Sol Cannon, my damage dealers kept getting Olded before I took out the missile launchers, so I taught everyone Animals (secretly incredibly good when you're in the level range where Nightingale is a 50% chance, you just full heal the party whenever you roll it) and had Lenna Aim with a Thunder Bow while everyone else rolled the bird dice every turn.

The big laser fired six times, but it simply had no way to push through the impenetrable barrier of birds. What a great game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

"you can just run away" is a solution to most annoying randoms, tbh (unless you're doing a dumb toxx, I suppose, but I also imagine most people who opt into that already know what they're doing)

If I had more energy I would edit this for fiesta purposes. :effort:

Anyway, this is the reason a lot of us avoid Phoenix Tower despite the juicy, juicy 500+ free AP and knifable dancer gear there: you can't run from any of the encounters there and they all barf status effects all over you.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 20, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone got any idea why my berserker will sometimes miss with one of the two weapons and then not attack at all with the second one (using 'dblwield' on snes, the dual wield ninja ability)? It's happening with, I think the Gaia hammer attacking first. Would it help to put that weapon in a different slot? I'll try the other hand.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

If I had more energy I would edit this for fiesta purposes. :effort:

Anyway, this is the reason a lot of us avoid Phoenix Tower despite the juicy, juicy 500+ free AP and knifable dancer gear there: you can't run from any of the encounters there and they all barf status effects all over you.

I feel the "too fancy weed store" one. One time I went into a weed store while real baked and heard someone I knew from high school and hadn't seen in a few years behind me but they didn't recognize me, and I was SO stoned that I was like "oh god if she notices me I'm way too high to hold a conversation but I'm already at the counter I can't just leave gently caress what do I do" and just quickly bought half an ounce of some really expensive weed that was upsold to me and speed-shuffled out awkwardly while staring at my shoes

Anyways that's storytime with Kazinsal, I still haven't started my fuckin run for the summer goddammit

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I tend to fight encounters when they're not -too- bad, because if nothing else it saves a bit of grinding in galuf's basement/the void later. It's honestly how these older JRPGs are designed anyways, you're supposed to use the encounters around you to gauge how strong you are.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I generally just fight most random encounters, and I don't need to do any grinding. Most characters end up with like, 2-3 classes maxed out naturally. It's nice!

Usually if I notice I start running away too much, I just quit for the day. Or I'm in somewhere obnoxious, like the Moore Forest.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

redreader posted:

Anyone got any idea why my berserker will sometimes miss with one of the two weapons and then not attack at all with the second one (using 'dblwield' on snes, the dual wield ninja ability)? It's happening with, I think the Gaia hammer attacking first. Would it help to put that weapon in a different slot? I'll try the other hand.

Iirc weapon procs that replace your attack entirely disable any other weapon you have equipped when they get rolled, and Gaia hammer's quake proc is one such beast. As for why the quake missed, you were probably attacking a flying enemy. I'm pretty sure swapping hands won't matter.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just went and tried neo exdeath a few times, and nope. Can't get him yet. I can't kill the middle part before he casts almagest at least once, and that's basically a wipe since it murders the black mage and ninja, and the 2 berserkers die soon afterwards.

I tried the magic lamp and that works on the back which is good, but I'm not ready for him yet. So I'm going to finish the optional content then find a good place to grind XP. Any recommendations for that? Or I may be using the wrong equipment? I tried crystal armor or power suits on the berserkers, they're both dual wielding, maybe they should use shields instead, idk. I do think it's the XP though.

My levels are 38 40 42 42. I haven't been running unless I have to, and I think I've been grinding in fact, rather than avoiding fights. I'm not using the chicken knife, which I have, but maybe I should which would take a lot of a different kind of grinding. At least I've maxed out my job stuff.

Edit: unless, does defend work against almagest?

Edit 2: maybe the earth wall or reflect from the magic lamp would help too.

redreader fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 20, 2021

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe
Almagest is magic, so neither defending nor Golem will work, and it also can't be reflected. However, you do have one shot of Shell from the Wonder Wand, which will halve Alamgest's damage (until it gets dispelled).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

redreader posted:

I just went and tried neo exdeath a few times, and nope. Can't get him yet. I can't kill the middle part before he casts almagest at least once, and that's basically a wipe since it murders the black mage and ninja, and the 2 berserkers die soon afterwards.

I tried the magic lamp and that works on the back which is good, but I'm not ready for him yet. So I'm going to finish the optional content then find a good place to grind XP. Any recommendations for that? Or I may be using the wrong equipment? I tried crystal armor or power suits on the berserkers, they're both dual wielding, maybe they should use shields instead, idk. I do think it's the XP though.

My levels are 38 40 42 42. I haven't been running unless I have to, and I think I've been grinding in fact, rather than avoiding fights. I'm not using the chicken knife, which I have, but maybe I should which would take a lot of a different kind of grinding. At least I've maxed out my job stuff.

Edit: unless, does defend work against almagest?

Edit 2: maybe the earth wall or reflect from the magic lamp would help too.

Give your ninja a Twin Lance in the main hand and the Chicken Knife in the off-hand, the game gets confused about there being three attacks and will never proc Flee so you can do mondo damage with basic attacks. You can also give your BLM !Throw and your Ninja !Black (although those are your only sensible options regardless), head to the end of the Ronkan Ruins part of the Rift and spam Thunder Scrolls/Thundagas at the enemies there for fast and easy EXP. You're even right next to the Phantom Village healing jar so you can keep going until you feel like you're set. You should also give your Berserkers Aegis Shields if you have them, for the 1/3 chance to block magic, including Almagest. And yeah, try to set Shell on someone via Wonder Wand if you can, and Odin from the Magic Lamp will take out the back portion of NED (save it for last to skip the desperation phase!).
Finally, if you haven't already, give EVERYONE Hermes Sandals and set the Battle Speed to 6 in the options if you're on the GBA version. The setting is bugged there to only make the enemies faster the higher it is, so turning it to minimum makes the game way easier in your favor :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 20, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all those details! I'm on snes so that one part won't work, but otherwise, that's exactly what I wanted.

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

First time beating the game in probably a decade. First official run and with a pretty lucky roll: Red Mage (ugh)/Time Mage/Samurai/Mime. Hard to fail with Time Mage and Samurai. Pointlessly grinded the chicken knife only to use it, like, once? Oh well.

Shinryu is definitely possible with this setup with at least the Wonder Rod and the Mirage Vest trick (SNES), and I might get to it. I don't know if Omega is possible without a ton of RNG luck and/or power leveling. :effort:

I didn't really track the toxxes, but this one definitely hits:

Arrrthritis posted:

For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).
Toxx cap: $100

And 10/12 of this one:

nrook posted:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dayvan Cowboy posted:

Red Mage (ugh)/Time Mage

Ahh, the rarely seen 'Double Time' maneuver.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Can Red Mage/Time Mage double cast Quick for 8x Meteo? That sounds, uh, effective (though not against Omega).

Time Mage can always beat Omega with the Quickleak bug, where you cast Quick, snap a Venom Rod as your first action, and decline to take your second action, preferring to sit around with time frozen while Sap does its thing. It’s a bit dumb, but it works.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You can't cast Quick while inside Quick, so the best you get is Meteo/Quick -> Meteo/Meteo, Meteo/Meteo

On the other hand that fixes a LOT of problems.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
My run ended in defeat. I ground up to a level (44-46) where I had enough hp to survive almagest but I think i needed about 5 more levels. I decided to go back and grind and even though I was on save state 190, it only had the last 5 (during the final battle). Actual save games didn't work properly on the ps Vita RetroArch either so gently caress this, I'll just donate. I'm finally free.

So Yeah, my problem was definitely just levels. The black mage had 1800 hp (she was the lowest level too, due to often being the only dead person at the end of a fight), the ninja had about 1820, and the two berserkers had 3000. It just wasn't enough. Almagest was hitting for about 1640 I think? I tried flame ring and heal with fire, and that helped massively. I got pretty far in the final battle and maybe I could have done it, but the black mage just ended up getting berserked by grand cross all the time. I tried to go back to before the boss fight to grind some more and discovered I couldn't. About 400 more hp on the black mage and ninja would have helped. They'd often get murdered by 2 1200 damage hits in a row, or almagest and one hit of literally anything.

I also had both berserkers with the aegis shield and I suspect it would have been better to give them both two weapons, since the ninja and black mage mostly did grand cross fixing, almagest pre and post healing, phoenix down resurrecting and elixir drinking.

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 21, 2021

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

And that's a wrap for the first run this year, and my first triple crown. When you actually bother stock up for !mix, chemist is ludicrous.

I didn't really do any of the toxx incentives here (I might've sold a legendary weapon or two?) as I wasn't really keeping track, more just gunning for finally taking out Omega once. Dragoon got surprisingly way more useful than I was expecting at the tail end, with the Holy Lance and Dragon Lance doing a -lot- of heavy lifting. If they at all had any other good lances they'd probably be able to keep up with the other physical jobs better.

Once the victory clears I'll see if I can get a manual job fair or something for 4 cannoneers, should be a fun trip.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Run #2: Chemist/Summoner/Geomancer/Mystic Knight

Obviously a super easy run and a obvious triple crown (though I wiped to shinryu because I didn’t realize I didn’t need to break the power staff and the proceeded to wipe to Twintania on the way back). Probably one of the worst to actually get Mystic Knight since between summoner and Chemist most things died pretty quickly. And Geomancer is Geomancer aka another summoner/mixer. I ended up doing the trench and Istory Falls plus got Leviathan since I never tried to use elemental power with it.

girl dick energy posted:

Just like last year, I'm going to give $0.10 for every Fat Chocobo summoned. The command .chonk will count on Carbybot using the same syntax as the existing rod counter, so use that. Because times are tight right now, I'll probably be capping out at $10, but we'll see.

nrook posted:

Sold all of them besides the magus rod. Posting pictures from a phone is hard though lol

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

redreader posted:

My run ended in defeat. I ground up to a level (44-46) where I had enough hp to survive almagest but I think i needed about 5 more levels. I decided to go back and grind and even though I was on save state 190, it only had the last 5 (during the final battle). Actual save games didn't work properly on the ps Vita RetroArch either so gently caress this, I'll just donate. I'm finally free.

So Yeah, my problem was definitely just levels. The black mage had 1800 hp (she was the lowest level too, due to often being the only dead person at the end of a fight), the ninja had about 1820, and the two berserkers had 3000. It just wasn't enough. Almagest was hitting for about 1640 I think? I tried flame ring and heal with fire, and that helped massively. I got pretty far in the final battle and maybe I could have done it, but the black mage just ended up getting berserked by grand cross all the time. I tried to go back to before the boss fight to grind some more and discovered I couldn't. About 400 more hp on the black mage and ninja would have helped. They'd often get murdered by 2 1200 damage hits in a row, or almagest and one hit of literally anything.

I also had both berserkers with the aegis shield and I suspect it would have been better to give them both two weapons, since the ninja and black mage mostly did grand cross fixing, almagest pre and post healing, phoenix down resurrecting and elixir drinking.

If you're still up for a last ditch effort, the almagest piece is vulnerable to petrify, so you can try spamming break on it. It's got a lot of magic evasion so your hit rate is going to suck, but who knows, maybe you'll get lucky.

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

nrook posted:

Can Red Mage/Time Mage double cast Quick for 8x Meteo? That sounds, uh, effective (though not against Omega).

Time Mage can always beat Omega with the Quickleak bug, where you cast Quick, snap a Venom Rod as your first action, and decline to take your second action, preferring to sit around with time frozen while Sap does its thing. It’s a bit dumb, but it works.

Yup, forgot about the venom rod. It's completely unsporting, but it definitely works.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dayvan Cowboy posted:

Yup, forgot about the venom rod. It's completely unsporting, but it definitely works.

Killer robots would certainly exploit bugs or gimmicks to kill you so it's only fair you play by their rules.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

And that's Run 4 down. Pure Chaos gave me Blue/Dancer/Bard/White, a truly OP team. Got my various toxx images ready:

nrook posted:

3 more weapons for this pile (Hopefully I got this right lmao)

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

Edit: $23.20/100 claimed, amount is quadrupled to $0.40 per Lenna until cap is hit

I only have the freebie for this one, but here it is

And I know there was a donation for summon items left in inventory but I can't find the post. Here's the proof of golem stuck forever in purgatory:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Just finished a triple crown!

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.

All summons, no summoner. MNK/RED/RAN/CHM

The summons were also items prior to breaking them out in the Void to be on the summon page, in case that counts for something

nrook posted:

I also sold all 12 legendary weapons but I don't want to post up 12 different screen shots. I have MNK/RED/RAN/CHM, the monk is unarmed, the red mage is either barehanded or main gauche, the ranger is X-Fighting a chicken knife, and my chemist has a main gauche

Rosalie_A posted:

Thus, here's my :toxx:: $1, up to $20, for any instance of the following, with a comment (your choice as to the length) on how you thought it changed the game:

-Red Mage without using !Dualcast.
-A write-in of your choice where a defining or powerful ability for the job is left unused. I just mention those four above because you're not defaulting to a bad Freelancer if you hold back. I'll accept any good faith effort on this, in case you want to do a Bard without !Sing or something for whatever reason.

So I ground out !Dualcast on all four characters, because I'm going through a kind of lovely moment and mindlessly grinding was comforting. I haven't used !Dualcast once though, because the only caster I got was Red Mage. I almost feel like this is cheating the spirit of the challenge, but in the process of grinding out the summons and legendary weapons for other toxxes I had to do Fork Tower, where I completely forgot to set !Dualcast on either character I sent up the magic side. As far as I can tell thats the one time all game that I wished I had !Dualcast. In general I've been playing with setting barehanded on everyone and just punching all my problems away. If I need in combat healing I have the chemist use items, because Cura doesn't keep up. For difficult bosses I set !Mix and face roll. This is my first time ever time really using !Mix though, and its absurd. I beat Omega and Shinryu at lvl 44 on Steam without berserking.

My last Fiesta I also got Red Mage and no other casters (except Blue, which can't be !Dualcast!) and also ground out !Dualcast on all four characters. I have never actually used any !Dualcast combos. Next Fiesta if I pull Red Mage again I'm jobfairing it for anything else.

Ace Transmuter posted:

:toxx:I'll be donating $5 for every goon who posts a victory from the Matrix version (mobile or steam), up to a total if $50. :toxx:

I beat NED the same way I beat every other boss: !Mix up levels, and blindly mash X-Fight on the ranger and monk. Doing math and taking out the pieces in order is for nerds. Just punch

Koobes posted:

I forgot about this or I would have set up more, but here is Lenna poisoned against Shinryu. Stupid poison breath.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Very first Fiesta run finished!

In all my time with FFV, the Bard, Blue, and Dragoon are classes I seldom ever used. Forget about being chained to them for the full game.

Lessons learned:

Bards are *stupid* useful. The Requiem song downright trivialized a few dungeons that I remember being VERY hard. Nevermind the stat booster songs.

Blue Mage is almost broken. The spells(for the most part) were piss easy to get, I think I only missed one. As a kid I never gave the level based spells a glance, what a buffoon I was.

Dragoon was okay I guess? Moreso after slapping !Blue on it.

I didnt screencap any toxx incentives, all I consciously did was sell off ten of the legendary weapons. I kept Apollo's Harp, and the Holy Lance.

Gray Stormy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 24, 2021

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

So I'm stealing dragon fangs off of mini dragons, for Reasons.

The good news is, it's pretty easy to automate, so I can let it run while doing other things.

...Please send help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I'm have before and am going to grind 99 Elixirs* without a good gimmick so I understand your pain well.
*without running, on hardware

Run 5:

Doom Goon posted:

GBA Randomizer :toxx:
I did my GBA random run this year! I did almost all of the challenges as I have the other runs (no running, no legendary weapons, etc.) but since it's a special run it doesn't have to count, I just wanted to.

Now that that's out of the way, let's see what I got for funsies.

First, the most important randomly picked item... the color of the game screen for my run:

A pleasant shade of mint/sea green! Lucky again this year!

As for classes, this year I also had broken ones (most important ones bolded):
pre:
1- Black Mage
	Default: !Iainuki
	Skill 0: 20 Cover
	Skill 1: 60 !Red 2
	Skill 2: 95 !White 4
	Skill 3: 170 !Animals
	Skill 4: 300 Equip Ribbon
2- Summoner
	Default: !Spellblade 6
	Skill 0: 10 Light Step
	Skill 1: 50 !Time 2
	Skill 2: 95 Equip Katana
	Skill 3: 200 Dual Wield
	Skill 4: 410 !Drink
3 - Ninja
	Default: !Flirt
	Skill 0: 20 !Black 1
	Skill 1: 40 !Spellblade 3
	Skill 2: 90 !Summon 3
	Skill 3: 170 Equip Axe
	Skill 4: 430 !Black 6
4- Geomancer
	Default: !White 6
	Skill 0: 15 Counter
	Skill 1: 70 !Flirt
	Skill 2: 120 !Steal
	Skill 3: 200 Two-Handed
	Skill 4: 270 Equip Shield
So I had access to very great spells (!Time 2 is enough for Slow/Haste so even that counts) and especially I had access to very good Defaults (!Iainuki would've been good as a learnable but either way the early game meant I had access to it on multiple characters, including beating some annoying bosses instantly with it you wouldn't have access to it in a standard rules Fiesta) and good innates on the Ninja. I used !Animals a lot for free healing and Stopping until !Ianuki hit. Besides some early glass cannon stuff, a very breezy run!

I actually had to fight Omega but once I got the hang of reflected Thundagas and Dancing Daggered dual !Spellblade it didn't take so long.

Berserked.

I opted for !Drink on two of them, easiest way to keep everyone alive.