Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Planning on getting all my news from atlus news going forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The biggest surprise for me is that Tokyo isn't getting destroyed in the beginning for once and that the protagonist can alternate between normal Tokyo and the post-apocalyptic one. I guess what's gonna happen at some point is that glasses dude's sister gets abducted by those weird tentacle demons at some point and that will be your motivation to go back to Da'at. The whole thing seems suspiciously Persona-y with the high school setting, which makes me really wonder if there's gonna be a Social Link type mechanic where you get to hang out with your friends between trips to the post-apocalypse. If so, then that wouldn't necessarily a bad thing, considering that in previous SMT games the important NPCs tended to be kind of weakly characterized stand-ins for their alignment.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Junpei posted:

Okay, so... Yuzuru's probably going to be Law and Ichiro's going to be Chaos, with Tao as the Neutral, right?

I'm not sure because if you look at the power rangers on the cover, then the angel looking one and the red chaos lady are both women. Horns ranger looks the closest to a neutral representative (with him likely containing an Egyptian god as a fusion ingredient and those are often neutral aligned) and he's a dude. So either they're gonna let men fuse together with women (how deviant) or something else is going on.

I love how Ichiro has sucker written on his cap, BTW.

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 21, 2021

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Logan Paul is Law, the guy with the glasses and his sister are probably neutral, and Tentacles is Chaos.
https://lensdump.com/i/ZOmkWe

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wonder how important Tae's psychic powers will be.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

New demon on the official website: Manananggal

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Oh looks like they added character bios to the website as well.

Looks like it is just the same as the video though.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 21, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TurnipFritter posted:

Gross, I love it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MegaZeroX posted:

Oh looks like they added character bios to the website as well.

Looks like it is just the same as the video though.

Congrats to Joker on her transition. I'm glad she could cut toxic people (Makoto) from her life and go for it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
And now the world is a desert. All because she didn't want to revise for her AP French class.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like the school uniform this time around.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

This guy seems trustworthy. TBH if there was a "you should totally trust this guy always" award, he'd probably get it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I for one think having your eyebrows trimmed to be extremely evil looking should be a trend adopted by more prime ministers

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'm just guessing he is going to be an angel while the tentacle girl is going to be be a fallen angel.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Congrats to Joker on her transition. I'm glad she could cut toxic people (Makoto) from her life and go for it.

The guy above her looks like bizarro Ryuji too

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
To be honest, he looks so sinister it wraps around to being too obvious for him to be evil.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

He has the exact same face as aogami so there's some poo poo going on there for sure. Don't gently caress with this prime minister

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Oh also looks like there is a page that lists the demon preview videos as well, for anyone that wants to reference them in the future. One sorted by number, another sorted by syllabary order, and a last sorted by race.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Who else has the prime minister's voice actor played? I swear I've heard that voice before in a Yakuza game or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Who else has the prime minister's voice actor played? I swear I've heard that voice before in a Yakuza game or something.

I'm still waiting for Yakuza: SMT game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still waiting for Yakuza: SMT game.

Yakuza 8: Like a Dragon Demon

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenjiro_Tsuda

Doesn't look like he voice acted a Yakuza game.

Edit: For SMT, he was Honda in Devil Survivor, Krishna in IV: Apocolypse, and Vince in the mobile gacha game.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 22, 2021

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenjiro_Tsuda

He seems pretty prolific. He was Zeke in Xenoblade 2, Ashina from Sekiro, Sam in the JP dub of Death Stranding, the JP dub voice for Kylo Ren from Star Trek, Malroth in Dragon Quest Builders 2, Krishna in Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse, Zaveid in Tales of Zestria, Kaiba in the Yu-Gi-Ohs, Tatsu in the Way of the Househusband anime, Sanae Hanekoma in the World Ends With You anime, Ogata in Golden Kamuy, and those are just a couple of big names I happened to see.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So almost definitely the bad guy then

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
after some time away from Nocturne HD to do some Tony Hawkin', i have reached the Obelisk. this is where my last attempt to play the game on PS2, gosh, fifteen years ago at this point ended. i remember getting through the tower but then being trounced by the three sisters and after a few attempts feeling like there wasn't anything i could easily tweak in my team to be able to beat them and giving up

i feel like i have a better grasp of the series this time around having finished SMTIV since that even if i do get stuck there it shouldn't be a complete game ender this time around. and even if it is, there's always merciful mode v:v:v

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Artelier posted:

King Frost
Patriarch of the Hee Ho Clan.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So almost definitely the bad guy then

no, he's surrounded by angels in the trailer so he's gotta be a good guy

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

TurnipFritter posted:

no, he's surrounded by angels in the trailer so he's gotta be a good guy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This one goes out to the poster who was stuck on Kenji
Looks like if your demon casts Trafuri while under the effects of panic, you exit the room, and can then just reenter and complete the quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1JPr0cW-Kc

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

TurnipFritter posted:

Ashina from Sekiro
There's the one I recognized. Thanks! :hfive:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So after telling myself I wouldn't hunker down and play the poo poo out of Nocturne, I hunkered down and have been playing the poo poo out of Nocturne.
Rundown is the story has announced a whole bunch of dramatic looking gods that I'm going to have ruthlessly murder in cold blood, and then blatantly told me I need to chose Path A or Path B to continue.

The game's reliance on having bosses spam Beast Eye and Dragon Eye is a little :effort:, but it also hasn't really mattered much when someone in my party can eat the extra moves with a null or drain. Also grabbing Trafuri Tetraja from a Magatama without really thinking about it has helped.

Gotta get to hunting down the remaining Magatama and Menorahs as well, which I hope isn't a totally miserable grind.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 22, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Artelier posted:

Matador Everywhere System

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

This one goes out to the poster who was stuck on Kenji
Looks like if your demon casts Trafuri while under the effects of panic, you exit the room, and can then just reenter and complete the quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1JPr0cW-Kc

:lmao: that's hilarious.

So from the description and comments, it seems Panic Caster + Trafuri combo works with every boss, but only skips Kenji because of the way the Yamato Perpetual Reactor room works, for the others it either treats it as if you still haven't encountered the boss or softlocks you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Andrigaar posted:

The game's reliance on having bosses spam Beast Eye and Dragon Eye is a little :effort:
Look, at least they apparently fixed the bug one boss had in his scripting where instead of being limited to casting it once per turn, he could hypothetically end up spamming it for infinite turns.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sam Faust posted:

This guy seems trustworthy. TBH if there was a "you should totally trust this guy always" award, he'd probably get it.

He looks like he's a descendant of Dahn from Raidou 2

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Oh hey, it's from that episode of Red Letter Media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA5f86pD7o4

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so First off, the DLC bosses in SMT IV are cheese incarnate. Especially the chaos one who knocks away all my demons turn one every single time with moves that can’t be blocked. Every drat time he spams Gaea and blows away my entire party. I thought the law one was bad but nope, this asshat takes the cake

Also I have been trying to find the fiends but luck is just not on my side. I’ve soft reset so much and I find jack squat

Edit: now they freaking appear... matador also stomped my rear end right out of the gate without me even getting a move in edge wise... most of my demons are in the 90’s... this is gonna suck worse then Sanat!

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 22, 2021

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Running around another big tower in Nocturne now. First God that got in my way looked impossible and whooped my rear end a few times until I noticed a way to buff my way out of its gimmick.

Then I got to floor 302 and spent an hour walking the wrong directions. So right before I typed this I looked up a map for the solution. And it's not at all what I expected, but it makes sense, so I'll do that in a sec and move on. That was too much aimless wandering for my taste.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so it took a few hunts (the last one took over 200 resets) but I finally beat That smug rear end matador (his SMT IV counterpart is 10 times more of an rear end then Nocturne).

First time was a drat slaughter on my end because I didn’t prep before hand and my demons all had null or repel physical and he... just didn’t appreciate that...

Second attempt was a little better but it was a disorganized mess and matador focused on the one person in my party that didn’t have drain/repel. He was programmed better then I thought which led to more bad times. At least got a fight in this time instead of one turn wipe.

My final attempt was thankfully me realizing I had a bag full of debuff stones and zio stones and that he didn’t really debuff us or remove his debuffs unless they went above +2 so I kept him in a cycle of removing his wasting 3 turns getting his evasion up and zap zap zap.

My main character is now repelling all gun and physical attacks so I can’t complain about the results.
Don’t know if I will go after the others after that last hunt... too many resets and so much heartbreak

Oh and I finally beat the DLC boss Sanat. Albeit through some cheesed methods and RNG help. First round set up my team with luster candy and debilitated for him. He failed to knock my team away this time and none of them died. MC used salvation and then we started shooting. MC’s and my Archangel smirked with our gun attacks but my others got blown away. The rest of the fight was riot guns and the MC smirking the entire time (I have never had him smirk that many times in a row) but it effectively locked Sanat into a flail that couldn’t touch me.

Andrigaar posted:

Running around another big tower in Nocturne now. First God that got in my way looked impossible and whooped my rear end a few times until I noticed a way to buff my way out of its gimmick.

Then I got to floor 302 and spent an hour walking the wrong directions. So right before I typed this I looked up a map for the solution. And it's not at all what I expected, but it makes sense, so I'll do that in a sec and move on. That was too much aimless wandering for my taste.

Nocturnes dungeons are nonstop wandering and getting frustrated when you find a solution that works. There was a bit in the final dungeon where I got lost and couldn’t find an exit because I moved a block to get a chest but didn’t realize it had to be moved back to progress.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Spiffster posted:

Nocturnes dungeons are nonstop wandering and getting frustrated when you find a solution that works. There was a bit in the final dungeon where I got lost and couldn’t find an exit because I moved a block to get a chest but didn’t realize it had to be moved back to progress.

While I've noticed that, this is the second time the game made me look for a map. Sadly the first time was the Diet Building, and no world maps exist, so I found it on my own off of NPC clues to the location. This time I was just over it. Worse is I think I found the path a while before, but thought it went to a floor hole and didn't follow it all the way :bang:

May be stuck on the second boss now. Either I'm oblivious to the weakness tell in the second phase, or the ring is faintly tinted and I'm too colorblind to see it.
E: I guess I had to use a non-elemental magic in response. Anyway, the second or third time the boss didn't spam lifesteal so it worked out.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 24, 2021