Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
3rd in, if I was a betting man

e: woof, what an awful snipe

Kinda boring content:

My mom has once again displayed how she has no boundaries

My (27f) son is going to go to 3rd grade in a country that he didn't grow up in this year. Because he isn't fluent in the language, we decided to get him a tutor for the new language (who is coming 3x a week) and send him to local school next year, as we don't want him falling behind or having self esteem issues this year because he can't understand.

My mother told me it was the wrong thing to do because he has to learn the new language in school and he's going to be behind forever now and he's never going to be able to go to regular school if we do that. She even said "did your dad ok it?" As if my husband and I need their permission. She then said it was not the right thing to do and it was going to be "really bad". She also said refugees that come to America have children that start school without knowing any English. I was like...ok. She is still living in the US and has never learned another language.

She honestly has no boundaries. How do I approach this?

TL;DR my mom has no boundaries and criticized me for putting my son in an English speaking school instead of the country's language we are living in. What do I do?

BlancoNino fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah it’s 3rd

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Probably the third i'm guessing

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

kntfkr posted:

it's called raceplay and it's not spectacular

It's pretty spectacular when you tie it into your wedding and dump it onto instagram lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Probably the third i'm guessing

Ahh ok yeah I think so. I had to go back and read it 3 times before it made kinda sense.

Weird choice to use that word I guess :shrug:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MarcusSA posted:

What is co*nery?

Coinery,coanery,coonery,coenery,counery,coynery?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I'm still chuckling over the girlfriend who apparently does little else with her time aside from getting shitfaced and eating chips in bed. And how the chip detritus is the only problem.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
'i don't have the bandwidth for this'

jesus. spoons are stupid.

i'll gladly eat a probe to sort that out

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AcidCat posted:

I'm still chuckling over the girlfriend who apparently does little else with her time aside from getting shitfaced and eating chips in bed. And how the chip detritus is the only problem.

I'm imagining a Buster Bluth situation where he just traded one drunk mom for another.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

AcidCat posted:

And most of all how she ISNT depressed and he DOESNT need to worry about that and he was getting very tired of people telling him she probably is depressed

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don’t know why people keep bringing up alcohol when all I said was that it’s one of her two food groups.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the vodka isn't a problem because when she spills it in bed she is actually disinfecting the disgusting, soiled sheets

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

What is co*nery?

Coinery,coanery,coonery,coenery,counery,coynery?

It’s coonery, aave for basically shucking and jiving type behavior. much like Uncle Tom, it isn’t a term some people should really use to describe someone doing said behavior if they don’t have the given melanin levels to back it up. a word about us, for us, by us.

E: for a visual definition, Google Candace Owens, that idiot RNC head, my father, etc

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

teen witch posted:

It’s coonery, aave for basically shucking and jiving type behavior. much like Uncle Tom, it isn’t a term some people should really use to describe someone doing said behavior if they don’t have the given melanin levels to back it up. a word about us, for us, by us.

E: for a visual definition, Google Candace Owens, that idiot RNC head, my father, etc

Does Terry Crews qualify for saying poo poo like:

https://mobile.twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1288086997706235907

And

https://mobile.twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1269840577127788545

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sadly, yes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Terry Crews is an unfortunate situation. He was brave enough to go public about the sexual harassment he’s received over the years. But then he got a job hosting America’s Got Talent and decided to defend the horrible way Gabrielle Union was treated with “I never experienced racism on the show so there’s no way she could have!”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Terry Crews is an unfortunate situation. He was brave enough to go public about the sexual harassment he’s received over the years. But then he got a job hosting America’s Got Talent and decided to defend the horrible way Gabrielle Union was treated with “I never experienced racism on the show so there’s no way she could have!”

It sucks, it genuinely sucks and shows a huge blind spot he just refused to maybe rethink. He’s a gem on Brooklyn 99 but yyyeessshhhh dude

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I wonder if Andre Braugher has tried to pull him aside and go, wtf, dude. Crews seems open minded but learns/changes very slowly.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

teen witch posted:

LTG uses it to describe people beating him in a video game.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

absolutely adore this kind of comeback

"yeah I got a WEIRD rear end!
Wild
Excellent
Incredible
Respectful
Delicious
Amazing
Special
Super"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

absolutely adore this kind of comeback

"yeah I got a WEIRD rear end!
Wild
Excellent
Incredible
Respectful
Delicious
Amazing
Special
Super"

Shouldn't it be:

Wild
Excellent
Incredible
Respectful
Delicious

rear end

?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

AcidCat posted:

She has cookie monster pj pants energy.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

AcidCat posted:

Huh, was the whole thing just an "females EAT HOT CHIP and LIE" meme?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for saying I wouldn't want to get drunk at a BBQ if my friend was driving me home?

quote:

I [19F] can't handle my alcohol, so I avoid drinking in general, and will only really drink a bit with my family. I'm going to a BBQ this weekend with some friends, and one of my friends [19M] is bringing alcohol, and he said he'd get me some yogurt soju (which he knows I like). He's also my ride home (he won't be drinking). I told him I appreciate the gesture, but I probably won't be drinking so he shouldn't bother. He kept pushing and saying he wants to see me drunk in real life (sometimes when I get drunk I call my friends and they think it's really funny) and that its the least I can do since hes driving me home. I said no and he kept pushing, and I said I really don't want to be drunk in a boys car, and he got pretty upset with me, saying I don't trust him. I did trust him, but the pushiness made me pretty uncomfortable and I'd rather be safe than sorry. He also knows that even a little bit of soju is enough to get me plastered and he intended for me to drink a whole bottle, which was kind of concerning. He's still pretty upset and our mutual friends say I should apologize to him and I probably will just to keep the peace, but AITA?
Very cool and good to live in a world where a woman feels obligated to apologise for dodging a possible date rape attempt.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sisal Two-Step posted:

He kept pushing and saying he wants to see me drunk in real life and that its the least I can do

aaaaaAAAAAAAA

think you can strike the "possible" from that date rape attempt

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Defiance Industries posted:

LTG has serious brain worms.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for saying I wouldn't want to get drunk at a BBQ if my friend was driving me home?

Very cool and good to live in a world where a woman feels obligated to apologise for dodging a possible date rape attempt.

This is like a guy in a striped sweater, black beanie and black eye mask getting upset that he’s being questioned for theft.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Don't go to the bbq either, otherwise she is going to face a barrage of peer pressure from everyone.

Also, i never heard of yogurt soju and now i want some

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Look man, it can't be rape if they're friends! Rape is some weird dude getting you in an alley, not some Nice Guy you've known forever who wants to be the love of your life, can't you just lower your guard around him?

AITA for getting a dog?

quote:

This is a throwaway because I'm pretty sure some of the people involved have reddit.

To make this short I live with three roommates and we all cohabitated pretty well until I decided to get a puppy. We initially agreed that we would all have to unanimously agree upon any animals entering the house, even if it's just friends or family visiting, and since that agreement all we have is one cat. A 6 year old orange tabby.

I've always wanted a dog (I was not secretive to my roommates about it) and when I was offered one by a neighbor, I jumped at the chance and told them I wanted one. I texted my roommates pictures and asked which one I should get. All three of them said we'd have to discuss it first but I told them I had already agreed to bring one home.

Later, I got home and they all got upset with me for agreeing to adopting a puppy without discussing it, even citing the rule we had. I told them they should have known I would have gotten one once I could and they always knew I wanted one. The argument got pretty heated but I resolved to bring the puppy home anyway.

After a month or two I did and it went badly. The puppy would loudly whine and shout all night because she was in a new place and my roommates started telling me I need to keep her in my room and keep her quiet so they could go to work. I couldn't always do this because I work nightshift. I told them that she probably just needed to go pee or something so they could just take her outside, but they got upset again and said they didn't agree to the dog and won't take responsibility for it.

So more months went by and the puppy still goes in the house when I'm busy (because my roommates won't take her out) and bites the ankles of people walking (which I admit can be annoying but she's only 10 months old) and my roommates were getting annoyed and telling me I need to train her.

I'm busy with some MMO friend groups who are in different timezones, and then I sleep, then get up for my night shift. Sometimes I can't take her out or train her and asked for their help but they refuse.

It came to a head earlier this week when I walked in to the puppy trying to mount the cat and biting pretty hard on his scruff and tugging him around. I got her off of him but my roommate (the cat's owner) came in and was so mad she screamed at me to get rid of the dog, move out, or she's going to "snap."

I said no and my roommates called me an rear end in a top hat but I don't think so.

I might be the rear end because I didn't discuss the puppy with them, but I think they are because they don't even try to like her. Am I really that much of a jerk, Reddit?

EDIT: I should add, the house we live in is OWNED by one of the roommates, who is married to the cat owner. The other roommate is a friend of ours who joined us to help keep bills low.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Look man, it can't be rape if they're friends! Rape is some weird dude getting you in an alley, not some Nice Guy you've known forever who wants to be the love of your life, can't you just lower your guard around him?

AITA for getting a dog?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

StormDrain posted:

She has cookie monster pj pants energy.

There was a nurse meme going around that titled those “the official pants of ‘I’m allergic to everything but diladiud’”

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the jackass store, called; they're all out of dog guy

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for getting a dog?

Can't wait for the followup story, where OP is at the hospital when his wife is in labor and he's busy doing raids on his laptop

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for getting a dog?

This was written by one of the other roommates, right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah future estrangement parent thread!

AITA for not taking my daughter to a concert?

quote:

Throwaway

My daughter is 14 years old, and I am raising her as a single dad. Last year her favorite band announced they were going on tour. She was ecstatic, and immediately asked me if she could go. I looked over the details and they weren't coming to our location until a year, and she had been really well behaved recently. I waited all night to get the tickets for her, and she was literally jumping for joy.

She told all her friends, posted a picture of her with the tickets on her instagram, and I was extremely happy I could make my daughter so excited.

Fast forward a year later, (the present) and the concert is only a week away. My daughter jumps up to me, super happy, reminding me. I start to think about it and realize that on the day of the concert I have a really important work thing, and I don't know anyone else that can take her. I obviously feel terrible.

I sat her down at the couch and told her that I couldn't take her, and she did not take the news well. She told me she had been preparing for a year, picked out an outfit, told all her friends she was going, and even deleted most of her phone storage so she could take a bunch of videos at the concert. She stormed away, and hasn't really spoken to me since.

The concert is in 5 days now, and I feel horrible, but I don't know what else to do. I can't cancel my work, and I have nobody else to take her. AITA?

More info: I forgot about the concert, my daughter is very introverted, even to me, so she just asked for the tickets, got excited and then quieted around until now. I don't have calendars to mark things either. I would find someone else to take her, but I don't have any friends I trust her to be alone with, and all of her relatives live in a different state. I can't cancel this work thing because it's a huge opportunity.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for getting a dog?
I told them they should have known I would have gotten one once I could
“You should have known I can’t be trusted to follow my agreements” is one hell of a :psyduck: argument.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for getting a dog?

That one is bait for sure lmao

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

“You should have known I can’t be trusted to follow my agreements” is one hell of a :psyduck: argument.

It’s been mainstream for decades by Republicans.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Defiance Industries posted:

The YouTube Algorithm (praised be!) showed me this guy and he seems extremely mentally ill but he has a weird fan base cheering him on and he'll never get help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh yeah future estrangement parent thread!

AITA for not taking my daughter to a concert?

"What's a calendar," asks man who somehow manages to remember events that are important to him.