Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

exciting (depraved) new business opportunities opening up in canada, surely on the way here in the usa if we start doing excavations

https://twitter.com/rebeccanagle/status/1418632510280454144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Often Abbreviated posted:

the only thing we learned from the last cool zone is that goons loving suck at predicting or understanding current events. I'm gonna go with "theoretically the government can do whatever it wants and reality will bend to its whims like an abject slave" and feel a lot more comfortable in my predictions.

There's this idea from some here that events like this will quickly bring about a critical mass of people in America who have nothing left to lose so they'll be suddenly amenable to violent revolution, and that's just not true.

A lot of people being evicted have families and jobs (even if they're so underpayed they can't make rent), and still have a lot to lose if they're violently beaten by the cops or tossed in jail. Losing their home is just a step in that process and most aren't going to be willing to risk making things worse. At a minimum, they still have hope they can turn things around.

Where the real Cool Zone starts is when we've got huge shantytowns full of previously "middle class" folks who are now locked into grinding poverty with no hope of getting out. Numbers way beyond anything since the Great Depression. We're on the road to that now but even this is just the latest signpost, not that inevitable destination.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mirthless posted:

I'm too thickheaded to realize that I got where I am because of a small amount of work and a ton of luck, and it hurts my rotten brains to come to terms with this so I need to condescend to communists in a thread no one wants me in so that I feel better about myself.

mycomancy has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Jul 23, 2021

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rutibex posted:

what would the world look like if every single person "tried hard enough" and earned what you do? not just the small percentage that do now, but everyone. please describe that world for me because you are advocating for it

I'm not advocating for it and wasn't in that or any other moment of the thread, I'm sorry you can't wrap your head around this point that I have exhaustively re-iterated

KidDynamite posted:

i'm bitter because your dumbass way of thinking is how we end up with not raising the min wage, or a having a social safety net. telling someone making min wage to work harder is loving horseshit. the hardest i worked in my life was waiting tables.

No, my way of thinking is intuitive with how conservatives justify doing those things. It is not a justification for those things, for all the reasons y'all have gone over in this thread. I do not have to accept that improving my lot in life is impossible, and that once I do a job/lock into a payscale I am stuck there FOREVER just because it gives some intuitive weight to things conservatives say. Just the fact that overcoming the psychological pressures of change is difficult is reason enough to not force people onto the job/employment treadmill in the first place. The fact that you can find some measure of success within the system or that the system could be made more fair is irrelevant to the moral value of the system.

Different kinds of work are hard in different ways and the "hard work" i am referring to here is the emotional and mental toll of putting a lifetime of focus into shaping a career against your own instincts and comforts. That's not the same thing as hard day to day work, and I wasn't making a commentary on fairness between blue collar and white collar labor

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Jul 23, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Hungry posted:

Took all these bullets on my way back, but still made it!

Oh poo poo! We should add armor to all those spots, clearly that's where AA guns are most likely to hit!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mirthless posted:

I am not saying anyone in poverty deserves their circumstances, just that some people who have things might deserve them

I don't understand how these things cannot be consistent with you guys. Why are you this bitter? I haven't identified a single poster in this thread yet who isn't actually kind of successful?

It's like poster after poster in this thread is getting bitter and vile at me for saying "Hey a guy who makes 200k at 55 isn't like super rich that's just a good job" and I'm sitting here the whole time thinking I'm dealing with a bunch of people who are mad about mcdonalds money and they're portraying themselves as being minimum wage earners and the entire time what it really was was a bunch of software engineers who are bitter at another group of HENRYs for being a little more ahead than they are

hi mirthless i'm the guy with a masters degree who cant find a job better than part time walmart. i'd like to think i worked hard in grad school and for the year and a half i spent riding trains around the country from interview to interview until i ran out of money and had to work at walmart or starve on the street.

once i was at walmart they gave me randomized shifts which prevented me from ever having enough time to leave town for a job interview. not that i was paid enough to afford train tickets anyway. but i guess i just didnt try hard enough eh?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mirthless posted:

i don't know, what the gently caress are any of us posting for?

if y'all have such a fatalistic and deterministic viewpoint on the world what is even the loving point of trying anything?

sanity is an illusion, and everyone/everything is stupid without exception. we're all just clouds of charged particles colliding with the environment, occasionally posting into the void.

maybe we shitpost to amuse ourselves while we wait to die, maybe we seek some semblance of community in a society built upon alienation of misfits, maybe some are even foolish enough to feel hope that we can circlejerk long enough to outlast the collapse of capitalism and see about building something better

are you posting for a particular reason?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
imagine thinking wages have anything to do with work in 2021. my god

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Mirthless posted:

I am not saying anyone in poverty deserves their circumstances, just that some people who have things might deserve them

I don't understand how these things cannot be consistent with you guys. Why are you this bitter? I haven't identified a single poster in this thread yet who isn't actually kind of successful?

It's like poster after poster in this thread is getting bitter and vile at me for saying "Hey a guy who makes 200k at 55 isn't like super rich that's just a good job" and I'm sitting here the whole time thinking I'm dealing with a bunch of people who are mad about mcdonalds money and they're portraying themselves as being minimum wage earners and the entire time what it really was was a bunch of software engineers who are bitter at another group of HENRYs for being a little more ahead than they are

here's an anectode for you since you've apparently shaped your worldview around yours

as an irrelevant note: i am actually poor and currently unemployed.

my father worked harder than anyone and was a way better person than you. he had skill. he didn't get lucky and randomly lost his job at a bad time. he fell into unescapable debt for years before getting hooked on drugs to escape the pain of living, then he overdosed and died

working as an EMT i've seen even worse. families living with dirt floors. disabled homeless.

i can only imagine you trying to tell them your liberal fantasy of "work hard and you can do anything!". laughable.

you're a sheltered rear end in a top hat

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Azathoth posted:

There's this idea from some here that events like this will quickly bring about a critical mass of people in America who have nothing left to lose so they'll be suddenly amenable to violent revolution, and that's just not true.

A lot of people being evicted have families and jobs (even if they're so underpayed they can't make rent), and still have a lot to lose if they're violently beaten by the cops or tossed in jail. Losing their home is just a step in that process and most aren't going to be willing to risk making things worse. At a minimum, they still have hope they can turn things around.

Where the real Cool Zone starts is when we've got huge shantytowns full of previously "middle class" folks who are now locked into grinding poverty with no hope of getting out. Numbers way beyond anything since the Great Depression. We're on the road to that now but even this is just the latest signpost, not that inevitable destination.

we are still waiting for a great Khan of the homeless to rise up, firebrand the people into a large, unified army of the masses against capital.

And lo and behol’ they shall have brought all under their umbrella, and from shanty to shanty, they amassed their following until they reached a shining jewel on the hill, and destroyed it with all the hate they hath nurtured.

Popoto has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Jul 23, 2021

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

this isn't a communism thread and like 3/4s of the posters here are software engineer homeowners who invested heavily in crypto and the stock market

you are so mad that I pointed out you pretended to be a minimum wage worker that I am now legitimately curious how much you actually make

it'd be funny if i made the least out of any of you guys but was still getting browbeat about how everything a "thickheaded" "rotten brained" autist like me achieved was just a blessing from Lady Luck

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Smythe posted:

regarding the eviction mortarium ending, its obviously bad and i dont think you need to be a huge galaxy brain to know that the only solve for that is a huge rent forgiveness program that goes all the way up the chain, starting as low and renters and going as high and huge multinational corporate landlords and their debt obligations to the bankers. the other option is to tell the banks to eat chain but i don't see that in the cards, you may have a different angle and i would love to hear it, but either way there's gonna be a lot of printing going on if we're going to get out of this cleanly.

another thought i've had, which was galvanized by a post here about homelessness, which really resonated with me, and to paraphrase, the sentiment was: "why has nothing "been done" about the homelessness crisis in this country? because capital wants there to be a homelessness crisis. the more homeless there are, the more visible it is, the more cruel it is, and more wanton death and destruction of the poor we perpetuate in broad daylight the better, in their view, as it acts as a tool to motivate the working class to keep toiling for low wages in bad conditions lest they become on the them; abandoned and left to rot."

that's a pretty cynical take, but i think it's true. but it doesn't have to be, and i don't think the political class has fully unified behind that tack quite yet. here in california, take a look at AB 832, which will provide rent relief for a wide swath of people in arrears. warning: words to read, but there aren't that many and i think you should read it. I am going to copy/paste an excerpt I posted in the LA thead:

I don't think you're wrong, and I don't think it's that cynical, Carlin was saying this same thing decades ago lol the sneer and stank with which he says "those jobs" still gets me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdH38k0iUgI

i forgot the idpol section in this, you're gonna love it

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Unoriginal Name posted:

I know right?

Also lol apparently I'm a software engineer? That's news to me with my degrees in biological sciences.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mirthless posted:

I'm not advocating for it and wasn't in that or any other moment of the thread, I'm sorry you can't wrap your head around this point that I have exhaustively re-iterated

No, my way of thinking is intuitive with how conservatives justify doing those things. It is not a justification for those things, for all the reasons y'all have gone over in this thread. I do not have to accept that improving my lot in life is impossible, and that once I do a job/lock into a payscale I am stuck there FOREVER just because it gives some intuitive weight to things conservatives say. Just the fact that overcoming the psychological pressures of change is difficult is reason enough to not force people onto the job/employment treadmill in the first place. The fact that you can find some measure of success within the system or that the system could be made more fair is irrelevant to the moral value of the system.

Different kinds of work are hard in different ways and the "hard work" i am referring to here is the emotional and mental toll of putting a lifetime of focus into shaping a career against your own instincts and comforts. That's not the same thing as hard day to day work, and I wasn't making a commentary on fairness between blue collar and white collar labor

Holy poo poo, you are definitely an rear end in a top hat. gently caress off with your justifications of how your case is somehow broadly applicable, it's not. Here's a tip: just because you saw some lazy people some times doesn't mean you know anything.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Hungry posted:

Took all these bullets on my way back, but still made it!

lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mirthless posted:

so your "hard work" is having the security in shelter and sustenance to be able to mold yourself into what capital wants a "high earner" to be. cool. why can't everyone else have that?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Mirthless posted:

this isn't a communism thread and like 3/4s of the posters here are software engineer homeowners who invested heavily in crypto and the stock market

you are so mad that I pointed out you pretended to be a minimum wage worker that I am now legitimately curious how much you actually make

it'd be funny if i made the least out of any of you guys but was still getting browbeat about how everything a "thickheaded" "rotten brained" autist like me achieved was just a blessing from Lady Luck

i'm unemployed and was homeless for a large chunk of last year bitch

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mycomancy posted:

I know right?

Also lol apparently I'm a software engineer? That's news to me with my degrees in biological sciences.

lmao

guillotines! privilege! my million dollar degrees!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Red and Black posted:

Can anyone recommend some books for self learning economics and the different schools of thought in economics? I don’t mind if there’s lots of math

The big obvious one is Capital so I'll give you some other ones.

A Brief History of Neoliberalism by David Harvey

Michael Kalecki in the 21st Century

Stabilizing an Unstable Economy by Hyman Minsky

The last may be mathematically dense, I don't remember. The other two are not.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mirthless posted:

Look at how mad I am! I can't even consider how random chance has lead to my success, and I have the empathy of an SS officer when I try to think about how most people are hosed yet I ramble on about hard work!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rutibex posted:

hi mirthless i'm the guy with a masters degree who cant find a job better than part time walmart. i'd like to think i worked hard in grad school and for the year and a half i spent riding trains around the country from interview to interview until i ran out of money and had to work at walmart or starve on the street.

once i was at walmart they gave me randomized shifts which prevented me from ever having enough time to leave town for a job interview. not that i was paid enough to afford train tickets anyway. but i guess i just didnt try hard enough eh?

Seriously, how can anyone say people can do better when corporations do everything in their power to stop upward mobility?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Smythe posted:

another thought i've had, which was galvanized by a post here about homelessness, which really resonated with me, and to paraphrase, the sentiment was: "why has nothing "been done" about the homelessness crisis in this country? because capital wants there to be a homelessness crisis. the more homeless there are, the more visible it is, the more cruel it is, and more wanton death and destruction of the poor we perpetuate in broad daylight the better, in their view, as it acts as a tool to motivate the working class to keep toiling for low wages in bad conditions lest they become on the them; abandoned and left to rot."

this is def a great point to make. especially when there's studies showing ending homelessness would cost like 30Billion a year. which is really loving cheap.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yo can the boat poster head over to the Latin American thread because some very funny boat shenanigans are going down and no one has nautical knowledge

just be aware that if you say the boats can probably make it there and back safely you're going to get booed out of the thread

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ram dass in hell posted:

Well, let's take Sperg McDuck's advice here. Have you 1) tried to work harder at not being poor and 2) stopped being mean to him for his lovely outlook on life?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I would simply work harder and not be poor

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ram dass in hell posted:

yeah bud i was unemployed for all of last year and the only reason i'm not homeless was becasue i had a 401k to cash out and credit cards to run up

it happens to some people, some people more than others. but we weren't ever arguing about whether or not that happens to some people, we were arguing about whether or not a couple of people who make 200k/yr and have modest retirement savings on-par with their income deserved to die for it

the bootstraps argument only came up in the first place because the Double Degrees poster pretended to make nine dollars an hour and I wanted to tell them to gently caress off

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I loathed this attitude when I was both working and at school at the same time. Eventually I had a nervous breakdown lol. Shoulda worked harder

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hey now I am a software engineer who owns a home but I make my investment money with options thanks :colbert:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Mirthless posted:

yeah bud i was unemployed for all of last year and the only reason i'm not homeless was becasue i had a 401k to cash out and credit cards to run up

it happens to some people, some people more than others. but we weren't ever arguing about whether or not that happens to some people, we were arguing about whether or not a couple of people who make 200k/yr and have modest retirement savings on-par with their income deserved to die for it

the bootstraps argument only came up in the first place because the Double Degrees poster pretended to make nine dollars an hour and I wanted to tell them to gently caress off

riddle me this, did I deserve it for not working hard enough to achieve

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Slow News Day posted:

i enjoyed this and thought this thread might like it

https://patrickwyman.substack.com/p/american-gentry

Hey this was a great read! I especially enjoyed the link to that Koch failsons press video for his stupid shirt company which is basically a worse Dan Flashes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ41JGJGxYs

I mean this guy has all the money in the world to learn how to become a fashion designer, and this is what he's doing, yes the rich certainly are more worthy than us peons.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Hey mirthless, seriously, gently caress off. Learn to read a room. No one here likes you or what you’re doing, and doing more of it won’t change anything.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

making an argument about empathy by comparing a poster to someone who facilitated genocide, which presumably, is exactly like posting badly in this poster's mind

Real Mean Queen posted:

Hey mirthless, seriously, gently caress off. Learn to read a room. No one here likes you or what you’re doing, and doing more of it won’t change anything.

It's like the same three or four of you posting over and over again, more angry each time, which is just making it more rewarding

edit: vvv yeah like this argument would have literally been over a couple of days ago if other people weren't keeping it going

if you don't like my replies stop asking for them you idiots

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Jul 23, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Quit responding to them.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Unoriginal Name posted:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

Quit responding to them.

gently caress you, he started it.

gently caress you Mirthless, go away.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ram dass in hell posted:

I don't think you're wrong, and I don't think it's that cynical, Carlin was saying this same thing decades ago lol the sneer and stank with which he says "those jobs" still gets me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdH38k0iUgI

i forgot the idpol section in this, you're gonna love it

One of the big reasons moderates despised Marx at the time was he not only rejected the notion of the teeming mass of irregularrly employed poor people being no better than orcs and that they were in that position because they were inferior people, but he tied it nice and neatly to the project of capitalism and described in detail the multiple benefits the rich get from having such a big mass of desperate people lol

"The boorish and criminal lower class was not only created by capital for deliberate reasons, but here's the exact method they used and the exact benefits they get and how you could see this in your everyday life if only you'd know or care enough to look!" and yeah it made people mad lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mycomancy posted:

gently caress you, he started it.

gently caress you Mirthless, go away.

The gently caress I did, Fits My Needs started it right here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953960&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1870#post516430289

I'm sorry you didn't get enough hate out of the argument the first time around, did y'all plan this on discord or something? Like what a loving joke, crying for mods and poo poo right away too.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

No, people just seem to hate the lovely things you have to say. Maybe you should leave, since nobody wants you here at all?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress off mirthless you stupid gently caress

can the r/relationships thread unban him so he can go back there to endlessly fight about his stupid opinions and how people don't like them for some mysterious reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mirthless posted:

The gently caress I did, Fits My Needs started it right here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953960&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1870#post516430289

I'm sorry you didn't get enough hate out of the argument the first time around, did y'all plan this on discord or something? Like what a loving joke, crying for mods and poo poo right away too.

You seem upset. Maybe you should go tell some homeless folk that they should work harder? I bet that would make you feel better.