Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think the specific type of food they brought matters, but the way they ate it might. They should have put their big mac on a plate and poured the coke into a glass. If they were eating it straight from the bag at the reception dinner that's kinda rude.

Also I need to know more about the wedding food options. If it was literally all shellfish plus a token vegetarian/kids (sadly often combined) option like macaroni and cheese, that's lovely. A lot of people don't or can't eat shellfish. If there were other good options and this person's baby palate meant they had to get McDonald's, gently caress em.

The kind of person who turns their nose up at seafood and doesn't like vegetarian options is almost always going to be a "man needs meat not rabbit food" kind of person who takes a sense of pride in being that rear end in a top hat making a scene at meal time. I'm surprised he didn't start thumping the table while chanting "steak! steak! steak!" instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

The kind of person who turns their nose up at seafood and doesn't like vegetarian options is almost always going to be a "man needs meat not rabbit food" kind of person who takes a sense of pride in being that rear end in a top hat making a scene at meal time. I'm surprised he didn't start thumping the table while chanting "steak! steak! steak!" instead.

Speaking as a vegetarian, vegetarian options are more often than not terrible, so nah.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Well this is the worst thing i ever tried to imagine before i realized I shouldn’t.
How do you feel about dick nipples

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If I went to a wedding that only served something I despise like, I dunno, prawn soup and dried seaweed, I think I'd just eat something beforehand. Maybe tote along a bag of almonds in my purse if it was pushing the 8 hour mark.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Bringing something prominently displaying a fast food logo into a wedding is a dick move.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Motronic posted:

"If a cat has kittens in the oven we don't call 'em biscuits" was a thing I was told as a filthy yankee living in the south with my filthy yankee wife many years ago.

?????? what does this even mean?? I don't get it???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alexandriao posted:

Apparently it means "you aren't from around here unless your ancestors are from here too." Merely being born in a place, or god forbid moving there? You'll never be a local. This is a very southern/country attitude to have.

A less tortured version (do cats usually have kittens in ovens?) is "a man may be born in a stable, but that does not make him a horse."

The internet suggests that the saying is from the northeast (Vermont/Maine) though. Also attributes it to both Frasier and Malcolm X. Sure

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 24, 2021

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

alexandriao posted:

Hell, I'd call them biscuits. Give them all biscuit-themed names, it'd be bloody adorable.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently it means "you aren't from around here unless you were born here," which is a very southern/country attitude to have.

The internet suggests that the saying is from the northeast (Vermont/Maine) though. Also attributes it to both Frasier and Malcolm X. Sure

I know that "kittens in the oven" is, ok, pregnancy

I'm incredibly confused as to how biscuits tie into that part of the metaphor

Runcible Cat posted:

Hell, I'd call them biscuits. Give them all biscuit-themed names, it'd be bloody adorable.

same and also, post/av/name combo

e: VVVVVVVVVV

ok that makes sense but also it's an incredible self own to call yourself a biscuit :laffo:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently it means "you aren't from around here unless you were born here," which is a very southern/country attitude to have.

Not just that, your parents have to be from around there too.

You are still a cat and kittens, or the kitten of a cat. You need muffin parents to be a muffin.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
We call them Buns, not Biscuits, since that's something only a weird foreigner would do. Like you.

-Disclaimer am not a yank but I can see the terribly inbred pride of a stupid expression.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

alexandriao posted:

same and also, post/av combo

I don’t think there is any “bun in the oven” pregnancy reference here.

Muffins are just something you make in an oven. Kittens are something you make in a cat.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

alexandriao posted:

same and also, post/av/name combo

Comestible kittens!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fake traditions for the sake of racism, xenophobia and a victim complex are a very Southern thing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

alexandriao posted:

It doesn't mean pregnancy, that's where your confusion is coming from. It is a literal oven. That's where the biscuits tie in, as something that's supposed to come from ovens.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My folks have lived in Montana since 2004 and will never be considered locals. It's definitely a universal non-city attitude.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

reignonyourparade posted:

It doesn't mean pregnancy, that's where your confusion is coming from. It is a literal oven. That's where the biscuits tie in, as something that's supposed to come from ovens.

This is a half baked metaphor :v:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Splicer posted:

The nega-cumshitter

cumboofer?

Smegmaboofer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a crappy idiom because "in the oven" is slang for pregnancy, an oven is small enough that a cat could actually climb inside and have kittens in it, and biscuits are about the size of newborn kittens. There are too many possible interpretations. It's confusing.

"A man can be born in a stable but that doesn't make him a horse" is better.

Das Boo posted:

My folks have lived in Montana since 2004 and will never be considered locals. It's definitely a universal non-city attitude.

I've heard it said that in the country, you aren't a local until the last person who remembers you arriving has died.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 24, 2021

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Sagebrush posted:

The internet suggests that the saying is from the northeast (Vermont/Maine) though.

We have an aunt who's lived in the same small town in Maine for more than 50 years, and people, even folks younger than her, still refer to how she's "from away."

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

pentyne posted:

Shitcummer
Well this is the worst thing i ever tried to imagine before i realized I shouldn’t.

When I was in 5th grade on the bus one day a cool and popular 6th grade kid told my friends and I that cumming meant when a guy poops out of his dick. I didn't really believe it but I had no other definition for cum at that point. I still occasionally imagine spaghetti playdough being extruded from those toys when I think of ropes lol 🍝

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sagebrush posted:

I've heard it said that in the country, you aren't a local until the last person who remembers you arriving has died.

A really good summary of the sentiment, yeah. Also if you move away for a few years and return, you lose your local status.

deety posted:

We have an aunt who's lived in the same small town in Maine for more than 50 years, and people, even folks younger than her, still refer to how she's "from away."

I haaaate thiiiiis.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Splicer posted:

The nega-cumshitter

cumboofer?

after much deliberation, 'bumjizzer' seems to be the flip side of the coin here

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Fast food at wedding guy is dumb, but who actually gives a poo poo? If I saw that at a wedding I'd probably chuckle then immediately forget about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It sounds like nobody really gave a poo poo except for one nosy bridesmaid and a couple of side glances from other guests.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Yeah you're right, I read that story yesterday and remembered it as more people being weird about it

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Depends on the city and the person, really. My mom is from DC but has lived in Chicago for almost 40 years; does not consider herself a Chicagoan. My husband is from NJ and has lived in Chicago for just over a decade; he has absorbed and internalized our ethos and everyone considers him a Chicagoan (10 years is the rough cut off point here).

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The specific brand of fast food actually matters a lot here so I don’t know why OP left that out. Taking Burger King to a wedding is very different than taking Hardee’s.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Should have just taken a bag of McDonalds Filet O'Fish and constantly tell people it's some of the best seafood you've ever had

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think the specific type of food they brought matters, but the way they ate it might. They should have put their big mac on a plate and poured the coke into a glass. If they were eating it straight from the bag at the reception dinner that's kinda rude.

Also I need to know more about the wedding food options. If it was literally all shellfish plus a token vegetarian/kids (sadly often combined) option like macaroni and cheese, that's lovely. A lot of people don't or can't eat shellfish. If there were other good options and this person's baby palate meant they had to get McDonald's, gently caress em.

Just refrain from eating for the four loving hours the reception lasts and grab a burger on your way back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can also not get weirdly hung up on what people ate

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My mom always wanted salt water fish. When she finally had the money she did research for months and tried to create the perfect environment for them. She proceeded to kill like probably a dozen fish over the course of 6 months for reasons she could never figure out and spent somewhere in the 1000s on fish and trying to course correct. After that 6 months she sold the fish tank and swore off animals for the rest of her life.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

incoherent posted:

jumping on a old post there are design challenges that thrive on that square footage. In fact here is a 1BR with 4 people living in less than 500 square space. IT can totally be done and not hate yourself or your children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YbC-i-72YY

warning: you'll fall into a smol space design youtube void.

stay cramped, bitches

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

low key sex master posted:

Should have just taken a bag of McDonalds Filet O'Fish and constantly tell people it's some of the best seafood you've ever had

:yeshaha:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Sagebrush posted:

"A man can be born in a stable but that doesn't make him a horse" is better.

I live an ocean away from Americas but that really feels familiar. From the outside it might be hard to grasp but it's really more of a fact and not really an exclusive attitude. (Obviously you can run into people who think you "don't belong here". I haven't, but then again I don't hang around the local bar at night.)

I have lived nearly my whole life in two towns that have less than 3500 people each. My parents moved into the first of those and I moved into the second with a family of my own. I'm now getting close to 40 and it's obvious to me that I have no actual roots in either of the places I have called my home. And don't get me wrong, I want to live in small place like this and love it here. It's just that when actual locals (like my wife) talk among themselves, I often can't follow. I don't know many unofficial names or nicknames of hills or villages they talk about. I don't instincticely know how various families are related to each other. I don't have social safety nets except through my wife and colleagues. I own no land except for our yard. I have neither social responsibilities nor people who are socially "bound" to me. The graveyard has no place I can light a candle at, except for a stone that reads: "To the memory of those buried elsewhere."

It just takes several generations to grow your roots somewhere.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Depends on the city and the person, really. My mom is from DC but has lived in Chicago for almost 40 years; does not consider herself a Chicagoan. My husband is from NJ and has lived in Chicago for just over a decade; he has absorbed and internalized our ethos and everyone considers him a Chicagoan (10 years is the rough cut off point here).

I always liked the Bojack Horseman interpretation of nativizing:

"Are you a Chicagoan yet? You know, I used to live in Chicago."

"You went to Northwestern. That's not Chicago."

"Yeah, you're a Chicagoan."

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

deety posted:

'If you can't see where you were born from where you are standing, you are from Away' - Maine

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Splicer posted:

How do you feel about dick nipples

making GBS threads dick nipples almost seem quaint now.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Acinonyx posted:

'If you can't see where you were born from where you are standing, you are from Away' - Maine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I always liked the Bojack Horseman interpretation of nativizing:

"Are you a Chicagoan yet? You know, I used to live in Chicago."

"You went to Northwestern. That's not Chicago."

"Yeah, you're a Chicagoan."

Lmao, yeah that’s Evanston. I have a tattoo of the Sears Tower that I use as a litmus test: if someone says they’re from here but comments on my “Willis Tower” tattoo they are automatically sus.

I also loved that arc because the buffalo dude was a) well characterized as a Chicago Guy in an ineffable way I can’t really verbalize and b) his apartment was very clearly a Chicago apartment, down to the arched doorways and iron radiators. My current apartment has the former but not the latter; I’m lowkey salty about that because there’s nothing better than warming your clothes on the radiator before getting dressed in the winter. You can also put a metal bowl full of water on top for a makeshift humidifier!