Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Is anyone in the process of starting the Olympic 7s thread, Rio’s was the best bit of the forums Olympic experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Wyn Jones is out with an injured shoulder so Sutherland goes in at loosehead with Mako on the bench.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

lenoon posted:

Is anyone in the process of starting the Olympic 7s thread, Rio’s was the best bit of the forums Olympic experience

I think it's next week so we've got a few days before it. I had tickets for the women's but, well :smith:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

harperdc posted:

I think it's next week so we've got a few days before it. I had tickets for the women's but, well :smith:

That sucks dude, sorry. :smith:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Loosehead was already a weak point, Mako's scrummaging just isn't good enough at the minute and Sutherland has had a couple of knocks. Does not bode well.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I hope Sutherland holds up, the starting Boks front row was poor in the A game so I don't have much worry for him, it's just how long he can go before Mako has to come on and stink up the scrum.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Wil Greenwood is such a prick.
He's just tried to tell Sam Warburton how to play flanker and Nigel Owens how to ref.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Feels like the Lions have lost their heads a bit - hopefully they can use the break to gather themselves.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

fallingdownjoe posted:

Feels like the Lions have lost their heads a bit - hopefully they can use the break to gather themselves.

Yeah, they're playing pretty poorly.
At least they've got a lot of room to improve.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Curry needs someone to calm him the gently caress down. 3 pens and 2 were totally needless. Itoje has been massive.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Good try.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Forward pass I think.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Yeah the pass seemed firmly forward. Slightly odd decision all round!

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

Forward pass I think.

Definitely forward.
Jonker still hosed it up though, he was onside.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

That oNe looked good though.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Lions with fast ball look dangerous.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

DickEmery posted:

Wil Greenwood is such a prick.
He's just tried to tell Sam Warburton how to play flanker and Nigel Owens how to ref.

I can't imagine watching this sort of thing without a Southern Hemisphere commentary team, and someone staying sane o.O

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm very curious about what the local commentary crew make of this game.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lmfao. What was that.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Forward off Kolbe saving the Sheriff and Sinckler some blushes, back in my day front rows looked for contact not fancy arse passes :c00lbert:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Forward need to stop throwing loving shoes to the backs.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

What a finish this is setting up, Springboks are going to feel very hard done by if the Lions squeak this out after that first half performance they put in.

redknob
Aug 29, 2005
I'm quite drunk but did SA have 2 or 3 disallowed tries?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Itoje was loving immense.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Great first half from SA but they looked shattered in the second. Not sure the Lions deserve that but a side can't get bullied in the last 30 and expect to win either.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Great first half from SA but they looked shattered in the second. Not sure the Lions deserve that but a side can't get bullied in the last 30 and expect to win either.

Lions managed the game really well and dominated with the replacements. Great win.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

redknob posted:

I'm quite drunk but did SA have 2 or 3 disallowed tries?

Two tries disallowed by TMO who SA was assured would cheat for them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lawes and Itoje were great today. Lions deserved the win but they tried hard to lose it.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Madkal posted:

Two tries disallowed by TMO who SA was assured would cheat for them.

Whoa this is pretty serious if true, are you quite sure? If so, you should leak this to the media or write the Rugby Union. TMOs who assure teams of cheating for them is a grave offence!

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

KinkyJohn posted:

Whoa this is pretty serious if true, are you quite sure? If so, you should leak this to the media or write the Rugby Union. TMOs who assure teams of cheating for them is a grave offence!

poor

redknob
Aug 29, 2005
Well I was going for SA purely for Faf's beautiful hair but it was such a good game with so many great players I really can't be upset by the result. Lions came out in that second half like maniacs.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Real game of two halves, the Boks definitely have enough in them to build on that performance and get a win next week though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Because the men's tournament has just started, I put up a Rugby 7s thread in the Olympics subforum.

:rip: beer snake, we never could make you this year

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Nobody commenting on how Watson should have had a yellow if not a red for the tackle on Le Roux? A number of ref calls were marginal but that was a very clear error. Lions had a terrific 2nd half and deserved to win but Watson off for ten (or the rest of the game) could have been huge. The line out prior to lions try was very crooked.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

therattle posted:

Nobody commenting on how Watson should have had a yellow if not a red for the tackle on Le Roux? A number of ref calls were marginal but that was a very clear error. Lions had a terrific 2nd half and deserved to win but Watson off for ten (or the rest of the game) could have been huge. The line out prior to lions try was very crooked.

Pretty sure the Venn diagram of people commenting on it and the people who thought Botia’s blatant shoulder to Damian McKenzie’s head a few weeks ago in the first All Blacks v. Fiji test is a flat circle.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Pretty much anyone with eyes would have thought it should have been a yellow card. Even the laughably bias B&I press were saying it was incredibly lucky to not have been a card.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 27, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

edogawa rando posted:

Pretty sure the Venn diagram of people commenting on it and the people who thought Botia’s blatant shoulder to Damian McKenzie’s head a few weeks ago in the first All Blacks v. Fiji test is a flat circle.

I’m not sure what point you’re making, but I doubt that Fiji losing a player would have affected the result, whereas the Lions going down to 14 for 10 minutes or even the rest of the game could have been decisive.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

therattle posted:

I’m not sure what point you’re making, but I doubt that Fiji losing a player would have affected the result, whereas the Lions going down to 14 for 10 minutes or even the rest of the game could have been decisive.

He complains about bullshit until someone agrees. I am a kiwi, watched the game, no idea what he is talking about and even if I did I would not care.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Watson out for Faletau, Harris starting and Daly dropping to the bench at the expense of Williams, Mako swapping in for Sutherland and Murray starting in place of Price.

I can see SA coming back stronger this week but the Lions bench looks a lot more poised to take advantage of a tiring team, whether they have the ability to exploit any space is another question. Not overly convinced by Biggar so far but I do like the look of that centre partnership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

therattle posted:

It's just a gripe about a clear double standard at the judicial level.

But yeah, specifically this poo poo, which is praised and celebrated, often by the very same people that turn around and condemn Watson's tip tackle (which he should have at the very least gotten a yellow for).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv5IX9nN8ys

Direct contact with the head, no mitigating factors, it's a straight red if there ever was one. Number of weeks on the sideline for Botia as a result of a visit to the judiciary? 0.

This specific video is hosted on the official youtube channel of a national governing body, for gently caress's sake. Until this bullshit stops being celebrated, and consistently policed by the WR judiciary, any talk of concussion protocols will be just that: talk.

But then again, I vividly remember the down-playing of Vunipola's shoulder-charge at Beauden Barrett's head in the second test 4 years ago, and the lack of any citing.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 27, 2021