Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

curried lamb of God posted:

This is going to end with a Premier League situation where the top tier of conferences break away from the NCAA, create their own league/playoff and take in more money without having to hand any to the middleman in Indianapolis

*hurriedly pulls out a giant cardboard placard with the words RELEGATION/PROMOTION written across the top and a huge flowchart diagram underneath*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I've just taken seven months away from paying attention to college football and lol what brought me back in was Texas joining the loving SEC.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Scarf posted:

Every year since I moved to Denver I keep saying I'm gonna go check out a Buffs game... Hopefully this is the year. I do have some friends in town that are aTm alums...

Definitely check it out. It's a pretty gorgeous stadium. Really enjoyed my trip there a few years back.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

YOU CAN’T CUT BACK ON BAYLOR FOOTBALL! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Can anyone post some existential fretting/future pondering and/or railing against the unfairness of the fates from Baylor beat writers, I need new shower fantasies

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

If the rumors about Clemson and the SEC being in talks are true (lol they probably aren’t), what’s the possibility that the SEC is overplaying its hand? Like, I could see A&M getting the votes they need to keep Texas out just from that if the SEC starts to venture into Georgia/SC/Florida for expansion.

If Texas/OU are the only expansion candidates, it’s probably fine, but adding any more to create a “super league” could really backfire.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

SEC my dick, you fuckman.

We can all agree this is the next thread title right?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i would never want to give el penis the mistaken impression that he is clever or that anyone wants him around

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

i would never want to give el penis the mistaken impression that he is clever or that anyone wants him around

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s still plenty of dogshit teams in the SEC and I don’t think the conference is going to kick them out any time soon, especially since there are sports other than football.

The list of "kicked out of major conference" begins and ends with Temple.

The only common thread we've ever had in any of this business is "who is going to join what" and it has never been "who is going to get the boot from where." Even hypothetical superconferences are going to want guaranteed wins because alums and boosters are going to demand 12-2, 13-1, and 14-0 seasons. Not everyone can be a juggernaut anyhow. There's always going to be loser teams. Illinois, Purdue, and Maryland are just, in theory, better loser teams than Toledo, Miami (OH), and Akron.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Nobody thinks the SEC would swap Clemson for USC in a heartbeat?

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

GD_American posted:

Nobody thinks the SEC would swap Clemson for USC in a heartbeat?

I take offense to this question, probably, we could be ok with that.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Roasted Donut posted:

Definitely check it out. It's a pretty gorgeous stadium. Really enjoyed my trip there a few years back.

Yeah, it's a nice place. Got tix for the aTm game, but that's at the Broncos stadium... at least it'll save me a 45min drive up to Boulder.

Also Clemson will never join the SEC as long as they have their fascist-anti-fun-no-field-rushing rule.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

curried lamb of God posted:

This is going to end with a Premier League situation where the top tier of conferences break away from the NCAA, create their own league/playoff and take in more money without having to hand any to the middleman in Indianapolis

FBS already doesn't give the NCAA any money. The vast majority of the NCAA budget comes from the basketball tournament. They get jack poo poo from any FBS football.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Declan MacManus posted:

it wouldn’t even be the first time one of my posts got used as a tff thread title

although I think at least a few of the ones that did might’ve been before your regdate. I don’t remember when was the last time it happened but then again I don’t post here as much as I used to

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 25, 2021

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
All these schools are getting it all wrong. The wave of the future is the micro conference. We're talking like 5 schools max baby. Think of that schedule flexibility.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chucktesla posted:

I don't like the realignment because now my alma mater is being left in the dust and I don't like that

Welcome

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

GD_American posted:

Can anyone post some existential fretting/future pondering and/or railing against the unfairness of the fates from Baylor beat writers, I need new shower fantasies

*unlimited schadenfreude ensues*

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GD_American posted:

I’ll have what he’s having.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
As a CFB poster anywhere in the world there is nothing better than conferences breaking up. There are so many things to talk about that will never happen and so many grudges to go over.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Hmmm, how about no. Let them leave.

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1419052062730502158

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

https://wacotrib.com/sports/college...1d34c81701.html

quote:

There are truly million$$$ of reasons why Oklahoma and Texas may end up bolting the Big 12 for the SEC.

It’s a money grab. It’s a power move. It’s a greed grub.

It also may end up being shortsighted on their parts.

When the news broke on Wednesday that the Longhorns and Sooners have reached out to the SEC as a potential landing spot, I viewed it as big, but not altogether surprising, news. If you’ve followed college athletics for more than a day, you recognize that (a) college football drives the bus, and (b) that the bus is hauling a flatbed trailer full of cash.

Clearly, there is a financial incentive to joining the SEC. The Sooners and Longhorns believe they can’t ignore the allure of all of that money, hence the reason they’re making goo-goo eyes at college football’s most powerful of Power 5 Conferences.

When greed motivates one’s decision making, it leads to allowances and sacrifices and headaches in other areas. The late, great 20th century poet Biggie Smalls understood this. In “Mo Money, Mo Problems,” he rhymed, “Now what you gonna do with a crew that got money much longer than yours, and a team much stronger than yours? … I don’t know what they want from me, it’s like the more money we come across, the more problems we see.”

Long term, would fleeing the Big 12 really benefit Oklahoma and Texas, other than stuffing their financial coffers? In some ways, yes. In other ways, no. Seriously, this whole story has more moving parts than a Rube Goldberg machine.

The Sooners and Longhorns would find more stability in the SEC, that much is true. The Big 12 breaks up more than Taylor Swift. It’s a conference that has been pulling apart ever since it came together.

There is the notion that a shift to the SEC would help Oklahoma and Texas in recruiting. But that’s not exactly an area where either school has been lacking. Both programs coax enough four and five-star pledges every Signing Day, even if the Longhorns don’t always seem to know what to do with them.

Here’s a question (or four) worth asking: Was bolting the Big 12 the right move for Texas A&M? Was it good for Missouri? How has the Big Ten worked out for Nebraska? Is Colorado better off in the Pac-12? Many of their fans would say yes. Still I wonder.

The Aggies are still hunting for their first conference title since joining the SEC nine years ago. Of course, they weren’t exactly beating down the door to the conference trophy case in the Big 12, either. That’s not meant to be an insult to A&M, just a fact, and Jimbo Fisher’s team appears poised to contend for a championship in 2021, at least on paper.

Lord knows the Aggies don’t want the Longhorns invading their personal space. No matter what anyone says, Texas envy — or maybe Texas fatigue — propelled A&M’s Big 12 exit. The Aggies must feel like Texas is the unwanted ex who continues to stalk them even after the breakup. A&M does have the option of a temporary restraining order — that is, voting against adding UT to the league — but it’s going to need to convince three other SEC schools to join them in their snobbish snubbery. (SEC bylaws say that three-fourths of the schools in the league must agree before any school can be added. Thus, four votes against will block a UT-OU merger.)

You can’t convince me that either Oklahoma or Texas will gain any kind of competitive edge on the national landscape in the SEC. Some pundits have raised the prospect that such a move would allow for the Longhorns or Sooners to lose two or three games in the regular season, and still have a shot to make a 12-team College Football Playoff. You know, because those losses would come against the mightiest of mighties (that’s sarcasm), their SEC opponents.

But two or three losses would be an upgrade for Texas. How is a move to the game’s toughest conference (that’s not sarcasm) going to help UT’s middling, underachieving program win more? As for Oklahoma, the Sooners would be a lock to make a future 12-team CFP in the Big 12. From a football standpoint, they own this league. They made the four-team CFP four times in seven years. In an expanded version, if they kept beating up on their Big 12 brethren you could just Sharpie Lincoln Riley’s program onto the bracket before the season ever started.

Speaking of, what happens to Baylor and the rest of the leftovers if OU and UT flee? It’s a complicated, pressing question. Answers won’t come overnight, but we’ll keep asking. Here in Waco, it’s a centipede story, with legs for days. Baylor athletic director Mack Rhoades deferred comment to the Big 12 office when I reached out to him. (The Big 12 has yet to make a statement.) But the league’s ADs have been in a scramble drill ever since the news broke, and had a 5 p.m. meeting Thursday to discuss matters. A meeting for which the Longhorns and Sooners were reportedly no-shows, which only lends more credence to their desire for a divorce.

Baylor has ridden this ride before, and it’s a bumpy one. Remember, the Big 12 teetered against the ropes during the four-team exodus of the early 2010s. At one time, it appeared as though Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech may jump to the Pac-10, which is now called the Pac-12. The league managed to stick together, add TCU and West Virginia to the mix, and it’s been a profitable marriage in a lot of ways.

If the Sooners and Longhorns left, it might feel like a kill shot for the Big 12. No matter what their records may be, they’re the flagship programs in this league. They carry the most national sway, even if they don’t always live up to expectation. (We’re looking at you, Longhorn football.) Trust me — anytime you attend Big 12 Media Days, you see the Oklahoma-Texas allure writ large, with two to three times as many reporters descending on the Sooner and Longhorn talking sessions as any of the other teams.

A Big 12 (Big 8?) minus OU and UT would still have more national appeal than plenty of the so-called Group of Five leagues. The league could likely get SMU and Houston to join in a flash. But it’s just as likely that the Sooners and Longhorns would initiate a full-on domino effect, with other Big 12 schools shopping the real-estate ads for their own next home. Kansas to the ACC? Texas Tech and Oklahoma State to the Pac-12? Iowa State to the Big Ten? Nothing seems too outlandish at this stage, where speculation outweighs on-the-record fact by a thousand pounds.

Again, where does that leave Baylor? I have no idea. Given the school’s current status as arguably the best basketball school in the land, the Bears would seemingly fit in nicely in the ACC or the Big East, except for the fact that the latter doesn’t play football anymore. But does the ACC need Baylor? Probably not.

Boy, what a mess Texas and Oklahoma have wrought. Just by kicking the SEC’s tires, they’ve likely reshaped the entire college sports landscape.

And for what? With apologies to Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone, for a few dollars more.

Greed may make your richer, but loyalty is priceless.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I wonder if Texas is going to be able to keep the Longhorn Network

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Pobrecito posted:

call me when your fans rip some guys nutsack open for being a fan of the bad team

From yesterday, but this was my father-in-law (who did the nut ripping), and it wasn't over the game, just happened during it. I had married into this family literally 3 days prior to him getting arrested, and my best man was one of the nurses who saw the dude at the hospital lol

Think Less fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 25, 2021

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

The list of "kicked out of major conference" begins and ends with Temple.

The only common thread we've ever had in any of this business is "who is going to join what" and it has never been "who is going to get the boot from where." Even hypothetical superconferences are going to want guaranteed wins because alums and boosters are going to demand 12-2, 13-1, and 14-0 seasons. Not everyone can be a juggernaut anyhow. There's always going to be loser teams. Illinois, Purdue, and Maryland are just, in theory, better loser teams than Toledo, Miami (OH), and Akron.

Don't destroy my dream of Rutgers getting kicked out of the Big Ten.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

lol at this absolutely pathetic groveling

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

https://twitter.com/DylanBuckingham/status/1419043212434550786

If the Big10 is serious then lol, that's a hell of a fit.

I have no idea who this guy and whether or not he actually knows anything, but I saw this on some other CFB site.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yes please gundy offense against the big 10

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

https://twitter.com/DylanBuckingham/status/1419043212434550786

If the Big10 is serious then lol, that's a hell of a fit.

I have no idea who this guy and whether or not he actually knows anything, but I saw this on some other CFB site.

Well the big 10 is a bit of an upgrade over the big 12 at least

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What’s the O/U on the aggies leaving a Texas containing SEC west?

Actually I don’t care what it is I’m taking the under.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

finally oklahoma state fans would have a reason to travel to storied Ryan Field

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Invite Oregon State and make an OSU division (winner gets to use OSU until next season).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Metapod posted:

The idea of Okie Lite winning the BIG before Harbaugh is almost enough to make my dick spit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hobbesmaster posted:

What’s the O/U on the aggies leaving a Texas containing SEC west?

Actually I don’t care what it is I’m taking the under.

Zero chance of A&M leaving of course but the chance for drama along the way is near 100%.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chucktesla posted:

Well the big 10 is a bit of an upgrade over the big 12 at least

Lol no it's not. Well I guess without ou it is

R.D. Mangles posted:

finally oklahoma state fans would have a reason to travel to storied Ryan Field

Thankful you'll be able to see 30 points scored

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

The idea of Okie Lite winning the BIG before Harbaugh is almost enough to make my dick spit.

Or before Nebraska :D

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Metapod posted:

Lol no it's not. Well I guess without ou it is

How is Ohio State not a better program than OU at this moment

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

This would own so it'll never happen but drat it needs to

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chucktesla posted:

How is Ohio State not a better program than OU at this moment

Because ou had to play real teams lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...

tactlessbastard posted:

I wonder if Texas is going to be able to keep the Longhorn Network

No. But considering that network is an albatross and total failure (except if you like watching a decade old game on continuous loop) I’m sure ESPN is all giddy with the prospect of killing LHN and rolling the two main teams into the SEC Network.