Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Lodin posted:

It was really more that the director of the game did those interviews during the launch that was so much bullshit. If you just turn off the game you won't be the bad man! Oooh!
I payed good money for that game and they tricked me into thinking I had a moral choice and then they gloat about how I could have just turned it off? gently caress you!

The game is calling out the military shooter genre for making war into a male power fantasy while also glamorizing it, and here you are mad because the game didn't allow you to do that again?

No you don't get to save the civilians and be the hero, that's not what the US in the middle east are.

What part of War is Bad and it destroys people is so objectionable to you?

Go pay good money for another mil-shooter because this went over your head real high and fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Vic posted:

The game is calling out the military shooter genre for making war into a male power fantasy while also glamorizing it, and here you are mad because the game didn't allow you to do that again?

No you don't get to save the civilians and be the hero, that's not what the US in the middle east are.

Go pay good money for another mil-shooter because this went over your head real high and fast.

I have to agree.

Also military shooter games are really boring because they don't have spaceships and lasers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Super mad I couldn't stop pillar of Autumn crashing in halo 1 that was some bullshit

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i wanted Max Payne to kick his addiciton to painkillers and meet a new wife on plentyoffish.com

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just think about how fast he could swipe on tinder if he did it entirely in bullet time

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
sod it, gonna snap up those max payne games just for that sweet sweet notalgia hit

man 2001 was a great year for videogames

GTA3
Halo 1
Tony Hawk 3
Super Smash
Max Payne
Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3
Jak and Daxter
Silent Hill 2
SSX Tricky
Operation Flashpoint
Serious SamOnimusha
Ico
Klonoa 2: Lunateas Veil

Obligatory lol mention for Black and White and Clive Barkers Undying

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 25, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blatman posted:

just think about how fast he could swipe on tinder if he did it entirely in bullet time

If you wouldn't play a Max Payne: A Neo-Noir Dating Simulator I don't want to be your friend.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vic posted:

I don't really object to War is Bad and destroys people, but pretty much every military shooter at least paws at it. Honestly, seeing how that stuff plays out, i'm kind of inclined to think that the "there's no such thing as an anti-war war movie" sentiment applies even better to video games because the basic mechanism of engagement and the way mechanics work play against whatever text you can have against militarism. That's just kind of a basic thing about games- they're at their best simulating human experiences like moving corps around or shooting one another in the face. Other aspects of the human experience have much, much more rudimentary mechanics, for example, communication.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poverty goat posted:

the dark elves were right to enslave the khajiit

What kind of idiot tries to enslave cats

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What kind of idiot tries to enslave cats

I don't see any sentient rat races Tamriel so...

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Panzeh posted:

I don't really object to War is Bad and destroys people, but pretty much every military shooter at least paws at it. Honestly, seeing how that stuff plays out, i'm kind of inclined to think that the "there's no such thing as an anti-war war movie" sentiment applies even better to video games because the basic mechanism of engagement and the way mechanics work play against whatever text you can have against militarism. That's just kind of a basic thing about games- they're at their best simulating human experiences like moving corps around or shooting one another in the face. Other aspects of the human experience have much, much more rudimentary mechanics, for example, communication.

Have you played Spec Ops?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Max Payne 3 is the best Max Payne game imo, especially gameplay wise. I get that some people prefer 1 & 2 because of the noir stuff, but personally I can take or leave that.

But MP3 has that awesome feature where you can keep pumping bullets into the last guy in each room in slow motion like BLAOW BLAOW BLAOW as his face and chest just get shredded into absolute bits. Great stuff.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Undying was great!

Black and White was not.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

I mean if a big world is what you're going for you should check out Daggerfall.

i think you mean Daggerfall Unity :getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsOSmHShnKA

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vic posted:

Have you played Spec Ops?

Yes, it's like pretty much any other shooter of its time, but it's way late and it's not actually any good.

Whereas CoD has high-falootin historical quotes during loading screens, spec ops is crass, that's pretty much the entire difference.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

in spec ops you're descending the entire game, going deeper and deeper down even when the terrain logically can't descend

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Max Payne 3 is the best Max Payne game imo, especially gameplay wise. I get that some people prefer 1 & 2 because of the noir stuff, but personally I can take or leave that.

But MP3 has that awesome feature where you can keep pumping bullets into the last guy in each room in slow motion like BLAOW BLAOW BLAOW as his face and chest just get shredded into absolute bits. Great stuff.

I beat MP3 again a few months ago and it absolutely holds up. Took a little getting used to the controller setup but there’s some decent options.

I would love if they updated 1 and 2 and released them in the engine they used for MP3.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

MP3 was the best bullet time shooter ever made and the music was :krad:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everyone talks about the airport level in MP3, and yeah, absolute banger, but the level in the super luxury corporate headquarters around the mid-point of the game is just an absolutely exquisite section and I would pay good money to have that upgraded graphics and even more destructible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

MP3 was the best bullet time shooter ever made and the music was :krad:

I had never heard of HEALTH before MP3 and now they’re one of my favorite bands.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Barudak posted:

Everyone talks about the airport level in MP3, and yeah, absolute banger, but the level in the super luxury corporate headquarters around the mid-point of the game is just an absolutely exquisite section and I would pay good money to have that upgraded graphics and even more destructible.

Yeah MP3 has some really good levels. Honestly I liked the police station, too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i was going to post somewhere on this forum today "is max payne 3 any good? should i play it in 2021" but you all read my mind and it seems an easy purchase

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Yeah I replayed it a few weeks ago and it still holds up

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Mp2 had a rudimentary version of this too.

I think you're all crazy about MP3 though. The simulated diving was cool but that game was generic as all hell.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lodin posted:

It was really more that the director of the game did those interviews during the launch that was so much bullshit. If you just turn off the game you won't be the bad man! Oooh!
I payed good money for that game and they tricked me into thinking I had a moral choice and then they gloat about how I could have just turned it off? gently caress you!

discovering that a lovely "moral choice" game actually has 0 moral choices in it is a good thing though. it's an improvement
e: ok it still had some i guess, it could be further improved if those ones were removed also

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tetrabor posted:

Mp2 had a rudimentary version of this too.

I think you're all crazy about MP3 though. The simulated diving was cool but that game was generic as all hell.

The execution is fantastic though. There’s something to be said for a standard concept that’s just relentlessly well done.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Caesar Saladin posted:

in spec ops you're descending the entire game, going deeper and deeper down even when the terrain logically can't descend

Oh, just like in Dark Souls?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I feel a lot of people likely don't notice this because geography that doesn't make any sense is completely normal for video games in general, and shooters despite their supposedly realistic environments are particularly hilariously bad for it if you pay attention

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Outpost22 posted:

Oh, just like in Dark Souls?

You didn't like the creek running under the lake in the swamp's basement below the arid valley?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel a lot of people likely don't notice this because geography that doesn't make any sense is completely normal for video games in general, and shooters despite their supposedly realistic environments are particularly hilariously bad for it if you pay attention

further proof doom is the best shooter

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Barudak posted:

If you wouldn't play a Max Payne: A Neo-Noir Dating Simulator I don't want to be your friend.

The night was going well, but it was too soon for her to invite him in. He wanted to buy more sand for the evening's hourglass, but she wasn't selling any.

"Good night, Max. Dinner again next week?"

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

b mad at me posted:

I have to agree.

Also military shooter games are really boring because they don't have spaceships and lasers.

This has always been the real reason why I've never really played the ww1/ww2 games. Although I did play World of Tanks and I'm pretty sure everyone in the game either wants to gently caress a tank or is a Nazi, or I suppose both.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the game either wants to gently caress a tank or is a Nazi, or I suppose both.

the best quote for this page

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JollyBoyJohn posted:

sod it, gonna snap up those max payne games just for that sweet sweet notalgia hit

man 2001 was a great year for videogames

GTA3
Halo 1
Tony Hawk 3
Super Smash
Max Payne
Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3
Jak and Daxter
Silent Hill 2
SSX Tricky
Operation Flashpoint
Serious SamOnimusha
Ico
Klonoa 2: Lunateas Veil

Undying was good!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
drat the 2 whole people that liked Clive Barkers Undying post itt

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It was a fun, spooky shooter, solid 7/10.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You sure you're not thinking of Clive Barker's Jericho?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

You sure you're not thinking of Clive Barker's Jericho?

Almost certainly is. Undying wasn’t a smash hit but it was liked by the few people that have heard of it.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Yeah Undying was a class act at times, it had some brand new ideas and wasn't afraid to take a more contemplative approach to FPS,Ike it's barely a shooter to me

Also I replayed MP3 a few months ago and yes it holds up, it's loving rad and the office level is indeed loving sick

But the game lately that I've been playing the most is "Doom" with mods and playing some pretty astounding map packs.

While playing, I have Spotify running and play "Slaves of Fear" by HEALTH and also the MP3 soundtrack, which is also by HEALTH, while traversing some amazing maps, blasting demons with dual auto shotguns and it owns owns owns approximately 48 bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i liked it as a kid but the levels were really confusingly laid out so i couldn't beat it