Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Scudworth posted:

Drafting tables still exist

So do cassette tapes, but I doubt my nephew is knowingly referencing them when he says "rewind."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Shine posted:

So do cassette tapes, but I doubt my nephew is knowingly referencing them when he says "rewind."

That depends what age you assume it was normal to have ever seen a drafting table, even when they were normal. I didn't see one until I got to college, where you'll still see them. They're still sold in art supply stores. And in the background of shows where someone is an architect, always.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah I don't think that's an age thing so much as just what one generally does. Like how my buddy had never seen a post hole digger and asked me what it was ; he's older than me, but grew up in a city so he'd never needed to dig a post hole before. If you're around drafting, you'll see a drafting table. And I doubt that'll change for a bit because the computerized version are still often clunky from what I hear.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

One I was reminded of tonight by a Futurama episode: when a performer is terrible, a giant hook comes and pulls them off stage.

I'm not even sure where that originally comes from. Vaudeville?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Powered Descent posted:

One I was reminded of tonight by a Futurama episode: when a performer is terrible, a giant hook comes and pulls them off stage.

I'm not even sure where that originally comes from. Vaudeville?

Yeah apparently it's a Vaudeville thing, which means it's a trope that's even lost on old audiences.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Here's a popular brand for a carpet cleaning service that refers to an automobile that was last produced in 1924: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Motor_Carriage_Company

The automobile:

Does anyone born in the last 50 years even know about this car?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm assuming from the name that it's a compressed-steam-powered car, and I only know about them from old sci-fi.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VideoGameVet posted:

As far as oldass cars go, I would say that they are well known, but that’s not saying much.

The Stanley Brothers once set the land speed record. Internal combustion took it back within a few years, but no steam‐powered vehicle would be built that could exceed it for over a century. The two could not look more different.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

VideoGameVet posted:

Here's a popular brand for a carpet cleaning service that refers to an automobile that was last produced in 1924: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Motor_Carriage_Company

The automobile:

Yeah, I do. Though I usually somehow try to work in a Cleveland Steamer joke in there somehow.

"Yeah, its those old cars from a hundred years ago that were powered by steam, uhhhh Cleveland Steamer I think".

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

VideoGameVet posted:

The automobile:

I knew about it, but I never saw one. I even wrote a book report about the "Steaming Stanley Twins" in Elementary School.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah apparently it's a Vaudeville thing, which means it's a trope that's even lost on old audiences.

The tradition lives on in the executioner at the Apollo theater, though. Anyone who’s ever watched Showtime at the Apollo has seen lovely performers ushered off the stage by a broom or shepherd’s crook.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

The automobile:

In college I had a roommate whose dad owned one, it ruled.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah I don't think that's an age thing so much as just what one generally does. Like how my buddy had never seen a post hole digger and asked me what it was ; he's older than me, but grew up in a city so he'd never needed to dig a post hole before. If you're around drafting, you'll see a drafting table. And I doubt that'll change for a bit because the computerized version are still often clunky from what I hear.

Hand drafting machines is pretty much obsolete in engineering and production type applications, people might still be using them in more design and conceptual type work.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Art schools still teach traditional skills, including drawing and they use drawing/drafting tables when doing so.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I've done both CAD and manual drafting in school. Know a lot of people who do it for a living. Not one of them would choose a drafting table over a CAD setup except at gunpoint. Primary reason that manual drafting is still taught is that there's some perspective concepts that are easier to get across that way.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

VideoGameVet posted:

The automobile:

Here in Colorado, yes.

The Stanley family owned a big creepy old hotel up in the resort town of Estes Park. The hotel was supposedly what inspired Steven King to write the book The Shining. It's still a popular destination, and they have one of those steamer cars on display.

Link.

Gnoman posted:

I've done both CAD and manual drafting in school. Know a lot of people who do it for a living. Not one of them would choose a drafting table over a CAD setup except at gunpoint. Primary reason that manual drafting is still taught is that there's some perspective concepts that are easier to get across that way.

I use CAD daily in my work (engineering); I can not imagine doing drafting with pen and paler.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cessna posted:

I use CAD daily in my work (engineering); I can not imagine doing drafting with pen and paler.

I took drafting in high school, and I was much much better with AutoCAD than with pen and paper (not least because my lettering sucked).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Drafting tables will forever exist in the modern cultural lexicon because any cool leading man architect will always lean over a drafting table as he single handedly designs a whole building on his 6 hour deadline. You can't look cool using AutoCAD.

Its like any show about radio or journalism where every set is stuck in some long gone golden era.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Just LOL at the idea of drawing lines by hand with a ruler being easier than modern software.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Krispy Wafer posted:

Drafting tables will forever exist in the modern cultural lexicon because any cool leading man architect will always lean over a drafting table as he single handedly designs a whole building on his 6 hour deadline. You can't look cool using AutoCAD.

Maybe I’m just not up on my prestige television, but are “cool leading man architect” characters in great demand?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

Maybe I’m just not up on my prestige television, but are “cool leading man architect” characters in great demand?

Hallmark channel.

Christmas Tower.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Yeah Architect is the go to profession for the dreamy lead in RomComs because nobody in Hollywood understand what Architects actually do.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

That show was more about his 3 sons and the wife's 3 daughters than about him being an architect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How deep does the desirable architect trope go?

The Fountainhead did it in 1943. Rand was a hack and I cannot imagine that she didn’t lift it from elsewhere.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Platystemon posted:

How deep does the desirable architect trope go?

The Fountainhead did it in 1943. Rand was a hack and I cannot imagine that she didn’t lift it from elsewhere.

I thought that came from her having a crush on Frank Lloyd Wright?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Blue Moonlight posted:

It's not TV, but I highly recommend watching the opening tutorial of the video game Heavy Rain, where the main character is a cool architect and does the "sketch to building" thing in like ten minutes in his glamorous home office

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah Architect is the go to profession for the dreamy lead in RomComs because nobody in Hollywood understand what Architects actually do.

At least in America, by the time we got to the 1870s, American architects were designing new buildings for the public that were leading to new fashion and art. While doing this, they became more than someone who designed a box, but more of an artist, and we got a bunch of famous, man about town, gossip-worthy architects like Sullivan, Jenney, Wright, and other Chicago Style acolytes. This elevated the status of the architect, and they are now seen as artistic creatives, and don't carry the stodginess of a lawyer or doctor as a stand in for a learned person who is respected and makes good money.

Just reading anything about Frank Lloyd Wright, and how his scandals were followed internationally in the early 1900s made the public very aware of the profession. I think that the idea of the Ad Man, or marketing executive being used often also for a profession in media, again shows how writers of media will choose a "creative" style job as a main character since the writers often saw them as fellow creatives, and used both as representations in their work as opposed to other professions.

TL;DR, Architects had creative sex appeal. Hollywood treats Ad Men and Marketing Executive positions the same way in their writing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's the fantasy of someone who has the creativity of an artist type but is also respectable, educated and professional (and middle class with a steady paycheck).

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

And that, kids, is how I met your mother.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I think it's a bit of Great Man theory. "He designed that WHOLE building!" Which is impressive when you're looking at a 500 foot skyscraper. Never mind all the architects who figured out the details, the engineers who translated it into reality, and the workers who actually put up the structure. Although it's nice to have one person to blame when said building falls apart or starts setting fires.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Jaguars! posted:

people might still be using them in more design and conceptual type work.

It's this, there's been a drafting table or three somewhere in any studio I've worked at, because sometimes you want/need to draw big things with real paper and maybe multiple people because the Cintiq is just not cutting it at that moment. And if you're doing print work you use them to examine the proofs for corrections.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SpelledBackwards posted:

And that, kids, is how I met your mother.

I feel like Ted Mosby might be a subversion of the Dashing Leading Man Architect because he is a complete dweeb and also the worst.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, it's the male equivalent of the female lead having a do-nothing job at a magazine or owning a "quirky" store.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sweevo posted:

Yeah, it's the male equivalent of the female lead having a do-nothing job at a magazine or owning a "quirky" store.

Fran's store in Black Books was such a good sendup of that trope.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

Or a bakery where they only work 10 hours a week and never get up before 9am.

The most realistic bakery owner ever portrayed on film was Kristen Wiig in Bridesmaids because her shop closed and she was stuck living with her parent.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cobalt-60 posted:

I think it's a bit of Great Man theory. "He designed that WHOLE building!" Which is impressive when you're looking at a 500 foot skyscraper. Never mind all the architects who figured out the details, the engineers who translated it into reality, and the workers who actually put up the structure. Although it's nice to have one person to blame when said building falls apart or starts setting fires.

Personally I'm all for the field of Competitive Architecture where you build a structure that will burn the other guy's building down.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Scudworth posted:

It's this, there's been a drafting table or three somewhere in any studio I've worked at, because sometimes you want/need to draw big things with real paper and maybe multiple people because the Cintiq is just not cutting it at that moment. And if you're doing print work you use them to examine the proofs for corrections.

Back before Covid made us all work from home, we just used a conference room table for this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The nice page is making me wonder how many teens know where 420 comes from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hitler's Birthday obviously.