Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

teagone posted:

What 120-128GB 2.5" SATA SSD should I be looking at in the current market? My uncle dropped off an old Acer pre-built (model M3985) that has a 2TB spinner. Told him throwing Windows onto an SSD would probably be the best quality upgrade he could make to keep using the PC. He doesn't want to spend more than $40, heh. I see the ADATA SU800 is only $25.99 on Amazon — is that still a reputable model?

Is there a reason it *has* to be a 120-128GB drive?

SK Hynix S31 500GB is $48 (a "limited time deal") right now: https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gold-500GB-Internal/dp/B07SK5BNM1/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is there a reason it *has* to be a 120-128GB drive?

SK Hynix S31 500GB is $48 (a "limited time deal") right now: https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gold-500GB-Internal/dp/B07SK5BNM1/

Price mainly. I sold my uncle on the upgrade costing him less than $40. He's very frugal, as evident by him still using a pre-built Acer PC that he bought circa 2012/2013.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://www.amazon.com/Inland-Professional-256GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B088KLWM35

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hmm, would this maybe be a better option for a couple dollars more? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TDW8Z3M/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_190X0FSRV7HW7MQRKQCW

[edit] Oh wait, the SU800 is under $40, lol https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K8A2A0E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2UXO5LPTDY3LN&psc=1

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 23, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The inland pro is fine. Inland is microcenter's house brand and not a mystery chinesium drive, so no worse than adata.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I honestly doubt there's going to be any noticeable difference in performance between any of these drives for your uncle. He'd only see the difference in benchmarks, very large file transfers, and in like database work maybe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I honestly doubt there's going to be any noticeable difference in performance between any of these drives for your uncle. He'd only see the difference in benchmarks, very large file transfers, and in like database work maybe.

Fair point that I was aware of. My major concern more so is reliability.

Klyith posted:

The inland pro is fine. Inland is microcenter's house brand and not a mystery chinesium drive, so no worse than adata.

Cursory research led me to read elsewhere online that Inland 2.5" SSDs use the Phison S11 controller which is apparently has lots of issues? Is that true?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
are these dram-less drives?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rinkles posted:

ADATA's product page for the SU760 claims it has "SLC Caching and DRAM Buffer" the same as the SU800.

From cursory Googling though, it appears that the "DRAM Buffer" on the SU760 is "embedded," whatever that means, while the SU800 has a dedicated DRAM Cache on the control board.

Again, even though it's ~$8 over, gotta throw my hat in for the 500GB S31 while it's on sale. If only because if he's going from 2TB to 500GB, some additional space might be worthwhile. Sell it to him that the S31 has a five year warranty while the ADATA's only have three.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 23, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

ADATA's product page for the SU760 claims it has "SLC Caching and DRAM Buffer" the same as the SU800.

From cursory Googling though, it appears that the "DRAM Buffer" on the SU760 is "embedded," whatever that means, while the SU800 has a dedicated DRAM Cache on the control board.

Again, even though it's ~$8 over, gotta throw my hat in for the 500GB S31 while it's on sale. If only because if he's going from 2TB to 500GB, some additional space might be worthwhile. Sell it to him that the S31 has a five year warranty while the ADATA's only have three.

Yeah, I just sent him an email with three options explaining the value proposition of each. I included the 500GB SK Hynix, along with a 250GB Crucial MX500, and 256GB SU800. My plan was just move Windows onto the SSD and keep the 2TB spinner as storage, since he I'm pretty sure he doesn't use any programs outside of the browser and a rudimentary photo editor, lol. That's why I was looking at only a 120GB drive for maximum value. The 2TB HDD has been used as a photo dump over the years, and that's it.

[edit] They were convinced the SK Hynix 500GB was worth it. Ended up ordering that one :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 23, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've been using the SATA version of the Hynix Gold SSD in an old Mac Mini and it's been superb; their NVMe version unfortunately seems to hate Macs though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Rinkles posted:

They almost certainly aren't, because they're SATA.

DRAMless NVMe drives borrow a chunk of the host PC's RAM to use as a substitute for having their own DRAM. This is possible because PCIe is a memory-mapped multi-master bus: any PCIe endpoint can read and write arbitrary PCIe addresses.

SATA is not that flexible. It doesn't support drives directly interacting with host memory addresses, nor does it support drives initiating commands. So a SATA SSD either has its own DRAM, or it's real slow and has terrible write amplification because its local volatile memory is only the amount of SRAM that was economical to include on the SSD controller ASIC. That amount is guaranteed to be tiny relative to the size of a single DRAM chip.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You're outlining reasons why they should have DRAM, but as I understand it, DRAM-less SATA drives aren't uncommon (especially at lower capacities) and it's not always easy to tell what you're getting.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 29, 2021

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Rinkles posted:

You're outlining reasons why they should have DRAM, but as I understand it, DRAM-less SATA drives aren't uncommon (especially at lower capacities) and it's not always easy to tell what you're getting.

Oof, I hadn't looked in a while and thought nobody was crazy enough to build a SATA SSD without DRAM. I should've known better.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

I've been using the SATA version of the Hynix Gold SSD in an old Mac Mini and it's been superb; their NVMe version unfortunately seems to hate Macs though.

I'm using nothing but these for months now. A+ would buy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I still wonder what's taking the 2TB Hynix SKUs so loving long. =/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

redeyes posted:

I'm using nothing but these for months now. A+ would buy.

To top it off, according to Anandtech, Hynix actually uses LPDDR3 instead of DDR3 for its DRAM cache in this drive.

No wonder it was rated at the top level for power management against its contemporaries at the time of the review.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Cool! I do put most of them in laptops so that sounds nice.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Newegg is currently selling the Crucial MX500 with a 15% discount on top of an already decent price -- works out to $162 for the 2TB model. I'm pretty sure that's an all time low.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My dad's PC is giving him a No Boot Device Found screen. I'm going to pick up a new SSD for him (current one is a Samsung EVO 256GB, either an 850 or 860). I'm really hoping that a reseat/replugging of the cables fixes it, but might as well get a new drive just in case.

Is MLC or TLC the way to go? He's not a heavy duty user, but the PC is on the old side (4th gen i5) so the more speed the better.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My dad's PC is giving him a No Boot Device Found screen. I'm going to pick up a new SSD for him (current one is a Samsung EVO 256GB, either an 850 or 860). I'm really hoping that a reseat/replugging of the cables fixes it, but might as well get a new drive just in case.

Is MLC or TLC the way to go? He's not a heavy duty user, but the PC is on the old side (4th gen i5) so the more speed the better.

You couldn't buy an mlc drive if you wanted to. But you want tlc not qlc.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'll go for TLC, thanks. But this one seems to be MLC: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1606518-REG/samsung_mz_77e250b_am_250gb_870_evo_sata.html

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

870 Evos are TLC. BHphotovideo is a crap site.

(Though iirc back when TLC was new and some people were scared of it, there were TLC drives that called themselves "MLC" because the M stands for Multi which means more than one, no we aren't lying it's technically correct!)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's just one example, but I've seen the 870 advertised on big box store sites as MLC as well, guessing it's the newer meaning now.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Klyith posted:

Newegg is currently selling the Crucial MX500 with a 15% discount on top of an already decent price -- works out to $162 for the 2TB model. I'm pretty sure that's an all time low.

How would this do in an enclosure for external use? Portable SSD prices right now are uhh...lets be kind here; poo poo.

I'm just worried about the data retention when unpowered for long periods.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Seamonster posted:

How would this do in an enclosure for external use? Portable SSD prices right now are uhh...lets be kind here; poo poo.

I'm just worried about the data retention when unpowered for long periods.

TLDR: In general if you are using an external SSD so infrequently that data retention is a problem, it's silly that you're not using a HDD.

Just about the worst case you might expect is ~6 months unpowered for a normal consumer use scenario, and that's on a drive that's been heavily used already. 1-2 years is totally reasonable. However, data retention is strongly affected by temperature, especially the temperature the unpowered drive is sitting around at. You want to store it at room temp, not somewhere like a car or attic that's above 80F/25C a lot.

OTOH the other aspect of SSD data retention is that the drive has to examine its bits and re-write the ones that are weak. It needs some powered idle time to do that. I don't think portable SSDs are using physically different flash than internals, but I'd totally expect their firmware to be different in a number of ways. One of those might be that a portable drive would be way more proactive about doing those scans whenever it has power.

So a thing I might do with something like a MX500 in an external enclosure, that mostly sits on a shelf rather than being used every day, would be to leave it plugged in & idle once in a while.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

A 1TB MX500 and a decent brand-name 2.5" enclosure would cost just about as much as a Samsung T5 portable SSD. I've been pretty happy with mine, other than playing games with Samsung for a few weeks over their saying my proof of purchase wasn't valid to update the start date of the warranty.

Yes, there's a T7 as well, but that utilizes faster NAND and supposedly runs much hotter than the T5, which is an mSATA drive: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA1T0B/dp/B073H552FJ

The 1TB T5 was $99.99 a few months back but now it's $30 more unfortunately. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 7, 2021

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

That's just one example, but I've seen the 870 advertised on big box store sites as MLC as well, guessing it's the newer meaning now.
It's misleading but Samsung advertise it as "3-bit MLC" which is just TLC.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Grog posted:

It's misleading but Samsung advertise it as "3-bit MLC" which is just TLC.

Good to know!

Speaking of that Samsung SSD, what's everyone's preferred data recovery steps? :(

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Speaking of that Samsung SSD, what's everyone's preferred data recovery steps? :(

Restore from backup. Because you definitely have backups that are at most 2 weeks old, right? :sweatdrop:

Um. Data recovery from SSDs is dicey, depends what the symptoms are.

If it's not showing up in the system, even in BIOS, you can try the "power trick": turn off PC, unplug sata data cable but leave the power cable connected. Turn on PC, let it sit at "no disk found" for 20-30 minutes. Then, with the PC still on, plug in the sata data cable (this is ok, sata allows hot-plug) and then hit the reset button. If you're lucky your drive will be back.

If the drive shows up but your data is just mysteriously gone, you could try data recovery software. Also see if there's a firmware update available.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Klyith posted:

If the drive shows up but your data is just mysteriously gone, you could try data recovery software. Also see if there's a firmware update available.

Most data recovery software does not and cannot work on SSDs. Likewise, updating firmware on a lot of SSDs is a destructive process and will ensure you never get your data back (sometimes it's not, but absolutely check before hand).

Data recovery on SSD is really hard--your only real option usually is to have backups and just take the hit.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks all, it's my dad's SSD and he didn't have much in the way of cloud sync going. He did have some important stuff, e.g. immigration (he and Mom became citizens this year :911:) and related legal stuff, his will and other related stuff, so he said he's willing to pay. OnTrack has given an email estimate of $899.

The drive itself is seen in the BIOS, however in Windows it shows as unallocated space and diskmgmt prompts to initialize it, which I decline. Seems like the drive itself is failing (not just random corruption), as when I have it plugged into any computer via USB to SATA, the host computer locks up. Unplug it and the computer keeps right on going.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Asking a question that I am pretty sure I know the answer to.
I have a ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac (apparently an v1 because it does not have SATA Express, just 6 SATA ports in a row (Or a counterfeit?)) that has an WD Black SN750 NVMe in the mini-PCIE slot and a video card in the PCIE slot. I just bought a Samsung 980 NVME that I was going to throw in a SATA adapter since I need a new OS drive and I was planning on upgrading my MB/CPU combo soonish so hey, why not?, but that didn't work because the adapter was apparently a mini-SATA adapter and not NVME (and then I learned about NVME not being SATA compatible).

Short of a USB adapter, there really isn't a way I can have 2 NVME drives with this board is there?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fire Storm posted:

Asking a question that I am pretty sure I know the answer to.
I have a ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac (apparently an v1 because it does not have SATA Express, just 6 SATA ports in a row (Or a counterfeit?)) that has an WD Black SN750 NVMe in the mini-PCIE slot and a video card in the PCIE slot. I just bought a Samsung 980 NVME that I was going to throw in a SATA adapter since I need a new OS drive and I was planning on upgrading my MB/CPU combo soonish so hey, why not?, but that didn't work because the adapter was apparently a mini-SATA adapter and not NVME (and then I learned about NVME not being SATA compatible).

Short of a USB adapter, there really isn't a way I can have 2 NVME drives with this board is there?

Guessing you have this board, not the Z97E. (Or if you still have the box and it says Z97E, you got a return where some rear end in a top hat did the ol' swaperooni upgrade.)

Anyways, yes, this is the downside of ITX, you're stuck.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Klyith posted:

Guessing you have this board, not the Z97E. (Or if you still have the box and it says Z97E, you got a return where some rear end in a top hat did the ol' swaperooni upgrade.)

Anyways, yes, this is the downside of ITX, you're stuck.
You just helped me solve a long running issue I've had. I've been going off my receipt for bios updated and everything and never noticed what is right on my motherboard.
Bought a Z97E, I have a Z87E. 7 years later, I learned I got a return or the wrong item. Well lol.

And thanks also for confirming. I'll probably go back to full size boards for the next system, sometime after DDR5 is more availible.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.wsj.com/articles/western-digital-in-advanced-talks-to-merge-with-kioxia-in-20-billion-plus-deal-11629914820

quote:

Western Digital Corp. is in advanced talks to merge with Japan’s Kioxia Holdings Corp., according to people familiar with the matter, in a deal that could be valued at more than $20 billion and further reorder the global chip industry.

So for those keeping track:

Toshiba and SanDisk were partners decades ago. SanDisk had MLC (and later QLC) tech, Toshiba had money and fabs.

In 2005, Toshiba bought Westinghouse, the nuclear power company (stay with me here). Then Fukushima happened and a bunch of nuke deals fell apart, and Westinghouse's losses got so bad that Toshiba spun off its memory division, and then sold a majority to a vulture capital firm in order to offset its Westinghouse losses. That group changed their name to Kioxia.

Meanwhile, WD fell so behind in the NAND game that they completely cancelled their own SSD production, and then bought their old friend down the street SanDisk in 2016.

WD and Kioxia then announced a big joint venture to make a bunch of new facilities, renewing the old partnership.

Now WD (ex-SanDisk) is gonna try to buy its old partner Kioxia (ex-Toshiba) outright.

What a saga.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Cygni posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/western-digital-in-advanced-talks-to-merge-with-kioxia-in-20-billion-plus-deal-11629914820

So for those keeping track:

Toshiba and SanDisk were partners decades ago. SanDisk had MLC (and later QLC) tech, Toshiba had money and fabs.

In 2005, Toshiba bought Westinghouse, the nuclear power company (stay with me here). Then Fukushima happened and a bunch of nuke deals fell apart, and Westinghouse's losses got so bad that Toshiba spun off its memory division, and then sold a majority to a vulture capital firm in order to offset its Westinghouse losses. That group changed their name to Kioxia.

Meanwhile, WD fell so behind in the NAND game that they completely cancelled their own SSD production, and then bought their old friend down the street SanDisk in 2016.

WD and Kioxia then announced a big joint venture to make a bunch of new facilities, renewing the old partnership.

Now WD (ex-SanDisk) is gonna try to buy its old partner Kioxia (ex-Toshiba) outright.

What a saga.
nice

So tracing this back, are the ex-Toshiba fabs still there? Also out of curiosity, where are they located?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I can’t say I’m super surprised because it seemed unlikely that Kioxia would just keep on keepin on after being spun off. Especially if it wants to keep up with the Samsungs and Intel/SK in the enterprise space.

What does that mean for the HGST brand I wonder

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Whole point of VC money is an exit strategy so it absolutely makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Has that stupid chia shite died off yet, or are drive prices still inflated?